Helpful ReplyXOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
jmaster299
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/10 13:33:21 (permalink)
schulmaster
As a Computer Science graduate student, and aspiring software designer, it is appalling to be subjected to the level of competence the XOC team continues to demonstrate. How is it possible that the OSD cant be reliably disabled? Getting it to work as well as Afterburner's is admittedly a challenge, but maintaining the ability to turn it off in response to its inferiority shouldn't be. 
Next, the asynchronous fans of two, and soon to be three, of the latest iCX SKUS require XOC to work as designed. That's fine. But how is executing that hardware/software connection not a priority? And it definitely isnt; since so many different FTW/SC2 users that have contributed to this thread have observed potentially dangerous malfunctions across various configurations, it's clear that EVGA is either not testing XOC with all their SKUS, which is unacceptable, or are testing an infinitesimal subset of configurations with which they advertise compatibility. How are changes listed as bugfixes actually in worse shape than the version they're "repairing"? I mean, they had to pull down an XOC version because it didn't work with one of their own and newest SKUS. What is that? Is QA broken or non-existent? Is the team having difficulty using github? Do they not have SKUS to test on? Are they just relying on free beta testing to test their software?
Maybe someone's VRMs need to fail, due to their dedicated fan ignoring its curve, to inspire EVGA to apportion either more talent or more money to this design team, because these latest XOC versions have been an embarrassment to the company.

Since EVGA seems unwilling to take this issue seriously, I've reached out to some tech YouTubers, such as @GamersNexus and @JayzTwoCents that I know have direct contacts at Nvidia. So far no response from either of them, it's easy for my Tweets to get lost in the thousands they get each day. But I encourage everyone here having trouble to reach out to them and let them know you're having trouble. If they see enough people complaining to them about it, they'll at least reach out to EVGA about it and possibly make a video like they did about the previous issue with the FTW ACX coolers.

Cooler Master H500P | i7 8700K@5GHz | CLC 280 | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR4@3000MHz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | Samsung EVO 960 500GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | WD Black 2TB | AOC G2460PF 144Hz
Previously owned EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, EVGA 970 SC, EVGA 670 FTW Sig2, EVGA 570 HD, EVGA 8800 GT and EVGA Killer Xeno Pro. 
EVGA CLC 280 and EVGA Supernova 750w G3 purchased and waiting for install in new build.
Look at my join date and ownership history before you try telling me I'm not a real fan of EVGA. I even bought the damn hat.
Tommy75
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/10 18:06:20 (permalink)
Perhaps everyone should just go back to version 6.1.6 for the time being and give EVGA 5 minutes to figure out what's happening. I had the same fan issue with 6.1.10, but immediately went back to the older version.

Ryzen 7 1700, 16GB DDR4, MX500SSD, GTX1070SC2 iCX
scott@bjorn3d
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 692
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/11 03:19:59 (permalink)
Fans not running right for me either with aggressive fan setting, vrm and memory sit very low to hardly at all and GPU is spinning its heart out to keep the entire card cooled.  Back to 6.1.6 for me.

jmaster299
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/11 03:55:52 (permalink)
Tommy75
Perhaps everyone should just go back to version 6.1.6 for the time being and give EVGA 5 minutes to figure out what's happening. I had the same fan issue with 6.1.10, but immediately went back to the older version.

I'm all for giving them the chance to fix the problem. The problem with that is they won't even acknowledge there's an issue in the first place. We've received a single reply from a tech who claimed he could not replicate what everyone else here is experiencing. The fact that he couldn't replicate it, and that they didn't catch this in their internal testing before release, speaks to a much larger and much more serious issue with the people they have working on their Precision software. They either don't care, or they lack the experience, education and knowledge to be making thes software in the first place.

Precision has been nothing but one major issue after another ever since they brought it's development completely in house. I never had these problems with Precision before when they still worked with the guy who makes RivaTuner and I've never had these sorts of problems in all the years since I've ditched Precision in favor of Afterburner and RivaTuner. These problems are not just limited to Precision, go look at all the threads that endlessly complain about Flow Control not working for their CLC series. 

Neither of these programs are rocket science. For Precision it's reading data from the NVAPI and performing the most basic functions like "If GPU sensor reads X, set fan RPM to Y". iCX isn't that much more complicated, it's adding in additional sensor, but it's not like you can set you fan curve to change based on all 9 sensors are once. Don't know how it is with the FTW3 cards, but the FTW2 cards operate their two fan curves based off of just two sensors at a time. The basics of how the fan curves work hasn't drastically changed, yet they are completely broken on iCX cards now.

It's likely a simple fix once they find the line of code that's wrong. It will literally be a typo or something on a single line of code or something that is preventing the two fans from respecting their fan curves at the same time. My best guess without seeing the code myself is it's a polling issue, where the software isn't asking the NVAPI what the RPM is from both fans like it should. The "G" fan is the one highlighted by default, so it only queries the API for the RPM from that fan because main Precision skin is actively displaying the information on the screen. It's not taking the step it's supposed to take on the next tick and ask the API what the RPM is on the other fan. That's why when you highlight the "P" fan and force Precision to query that sensor for you, that fan will all of a sudden respond. But then it stops checking on the temp from the "G" sensor and that fan will just stay locked at whatever RPM it was at.

The OSD portion, which is separate from the part that controls the fans, can see the temps and RPMs and everything else all at the same time and spit that information out onto the screen for you. But the part of Precision that controls the fans isn't watching both of them at the same time like it should, so it can't control both of them at the same time. And when I say the same time, with stuff like that it's typically one then the other, milliseconds apart.
post edited by jmaster299 - 2017/07/11 04:01:07

Cooler Master H500P | i7 8700K@5GHz | CLC 280 | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR4@3000MHz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | Samsung EVO 960 500GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | WD Black 2TB | AOC G2460PF 144Hz
Previously owned EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, EVGA 970 SC, EVGA 670 FTW Sig2, EVGA 570 HD, EVGA 8800 GT and EVGA Killer Xeno Pro. 
EVGA CLC 280 and EVGA Supernova 750w G3 purchased and waiting for install in new build.
Look at my join date and ownership history before you try telling me I'm not a real fan of EVGA. I even bought the damn hat.
EVGATech_JaesonW
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 910
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/11 11:45:30 (permalink)
Hello everyone!

Sorry for the delay and lack of response while we worked on this. We have been able to replicate the issue, and we're working on implementing a fix. 

Regarding warranty, I can assure you that we have always allowed overclocking of our graphics cards, and we will continue to support any EVGA graphics card under warranty that may potentially become damaged from overclocking using PrecisionX OC. Not every manufacturer supports overclocking, so make sure to check your warranty terms if you intend to use PrecisionX OC with a non-EVGA card!

EVGA Customer Service Manager
Have a moment? Please rate our service 
d4rthdan
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/12 01:34:27 (permalink)
EVGATech_JaesonW
Hello everyone!

Sorry for the delay and lack of response while we worked on this. We have been able to replicate the issue, and we're working on implementing a fix. 

Regarding warranty, I can assure you that we have always allowed overclocking of our graphics cards, and we will continue to support any EVGA graphics card under warranty that may potentially become damaged from overclocking using PrecisionX OC. Not every manufacturer supports overclocking, so make sure to check your warranty terms if you intend to use PrecisionX OC with a non-EVGA card!

Thank you for the acknowledgement Jaeson.
jmaster299
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/12 04:40:29 (permalink)
EVGATech_JaesonW
Hello everyone!

Thanks for the extremely late reply, but no you don't honor warranties when Precision destroys cards. Even when the person doesn't apply any overclock. You claim you will warranty cards killed by Precision, yet you have this disclaimer on the Precision download page that says otherwise.

"By choosing to download the software, you affirm that EVGA Precision XOC is supplied "as-is". EVGA Corporation assumes no liability for damages, direct or consequential, which may result from the use of EVGA Precision XOC."

Also, you still haven't pulled 6.1.10 from the download page. It should have been pulled the second this issue was reported to you.

FscuderiaX
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 210
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/13 19:29:01 (permalink)
Amazing how the previous new version was pulled and now the "hotfix" new version is also causing major issues.  I'm also having the fan issues on my FTW3 along with 3-5 second hangs in Watch Dogs 2.  I won't even try using the OSD since it never works anyway.  It's like every game needs to be added 1 by 1 or something.  Buying an async fan controlled card really turned out to be a bad idea.  I've always used AB but now it's like I'm stuck with this.  Not very happy with all the problems I've been having since switching to XOC for my 1080 Ti.  I would have thought Precision was dialed in by now seeing how long it's been around but it feels like we're still in a beta phase. 
PHiLiPZ
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/13 22:54:02 (permalink)
Nobody mentioned a problem I'm having with the 6.1.10 version - even though the OCX is set to start automatically it sometimes starts and then turns itself off. I can tell by not seeing the icon in the status bar and also in the OSD (surprised me that it's still running) since the fans speed doesn't change. If I start it again it seems to work properly for me (FTW3, fans' speeds are adapting to temperatures) but this version seems rather dodgy.
Doctor9
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/14 13:40:11 (permalink)
I have my fan curves slightly different, unlinked, on G ,P and M. So the issue i'm having with my fan curves in 6.1.10 is when i click on any preset, custom or not, the Gpu fan will move to desired level but the power and memory don't move. A second click on the same preset will then adjust power and memory to where they should be. I do not trust this version so, for the forth time now, back to 6.1.6.
4B91AAD8A56F4AA
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 379
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/14 14:31:28 (permalink)
jmaster299
EVGATech_JaesonW
Hello everyone!

Thanks for the extremely late reply, but no you don't honor warranties when Precision destroys cards. Even when the person doesn't apply any overclock. You claim you will warranty cards killed by Precision, yet you have this disclaimer on the Precision download page that says otherwise.

"By choosing to download the software, you affirm that EVGA Precision XOC is supplied "as-is". EVGA Corporation assumes no liability for damages, direct or consequential, which may result from the use of EVGA Precision XOC."

Also, you still haven't pulled 6.1.10 from the download page. It should have been pulled the second this issue was reported to you.

my 1080 FTWs had/has no problem with 6.1.9 or 6.1.10 mind you i don't use the curve i just manual OC as i know what my cards are capable of   
Sikkobassta
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/14 15:10:09 (permalink)
Bought two 1080 Ti FTW3s and find out the PrecisionX fan curve does not work for the version 6.1.10.  Then visit here and come to find out you have to revert to two versions prior?  So EVGA gets into hot water and fixes the issue by providing more sensors but not fixing the hot card issue.  I am disappointed once again in EVGA.
post edited by Sajin - 2017/07/14 15:57:08
Nec_V20
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 139
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/16 02:31:15 (permalink)
I just wish I had read this thread a few days ago.

I am the happy owner of my very first Nvidia card, an EVGA 1080 Ti SC2.

I am of course unfamiliar with anything Nvidia hands on, so, when Precision XOC 6.1.10 was driving me frigging POTTY with being unable to set or change fan profiles or influence the fans in any way except with either clicking on curve, and setting apply, or clicking on default to get any change in fan configurations I thought it was me, that I had missed some kind of configuration option.

I was just about to post a thread here with regard to that when I saw that it was already here, and I am glad to read that EVGA are working on it.

Please don't interpret this as snark, but I would really like to know under what circumstances EVGA had the fan profile configuration actually working.

If I were to guess based on what I have read here that it would work on acx cards and not icx cards.

Let me reiterate that aside from this, as we would say in my native language, "Schönheitsfehler", I am really happy with the performance of the card.

I had played well over 1000 hours of Fallout 4 at 1080p with ultra settings with my old card and it was an absolute joy (one of those "better than sex" moments) when I could run the game at not only 4K in Ultra settings but also with Godrays dialled up to the max (which was the thing that stopped me hitting 60FPS with my previous card at 1080p) and still hit 60 FPS
post edited by Nec_V20 - 2017/07/16 03:08:59

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 Watt, Case: Phanteks EVOLV X, Mobo: GigaByte X570 AURUS Master, CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X, GPU: Powecolor Red Devil 6900XT, RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team Group CL16, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, Boot-drive: Team Group 1TB M.2, Fans: 7 x Phanteks T30 120mm, HD: 5*WD 14TB, 2*WD Blue 2TB M.2 SSD (Games), Keyboard: DasKeyboard 4 MX-Blue, Mouse: Logitech G903, Monitor: ASUS PB287Q (2160p 60 Hz); LG 32GK850F-B (1440p 144 Hz)
jmaster299
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/16 04:42:05 (permalink)
The ACX cards, which you would have with normal FTW 1080s, are likely unaffected since the second fan is locked to the behavior of the GPU fan.

The only reason this affects iCX cards is because it is impossible to lock the second, third fans in the case of FTW3, to follow the behavior of the first GPU fan. If we could do that, we could avoid using Precision entirely and just go back to what many of us have been doing for years and just use Afterburner for everything.

You also have read nothing in this thread, or else you would have never posted your smug and useless post in the first place. What you.manually overclock your cards to is irelavent to the issue at hand here. This issues has nothing to do with overclock and affects iCX cards even with default fan profiles.

It's actually WORSE for people who use default fan profiles because under the default profile, and you'd know this if you actually knew what you were talking about, the Power/VRM fan(s) don't spin at all until they are under load. So for iCX users their second and/or third fans will never, ever, spin, no matter how hot their cards get, no matter what load they are under, with version 6.1.10.

Nec_V20
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/16 05:38:05 (permalink)
jmaster299
The ACX cards, which you would have with normal FTW 1080s, are likely unaffected since the second fan is locked to the behavior of the GPU fan.

The only reason this affects iCX cards is because it is impossible to lock the second, third fans in the case of FTW3, to follow the behavior of the first GPU fan. If we could do that, we could avoid using Precision entirely and just go back to what many of us have been doing for years and just use Afterburner for everything.

You also have read nothing in this thread, or else you would have never posted your smug and useless post in the first place. What you.manually overclock your cards to is irelavent to the issue at hand here. This issues has nothing to do with overclock and affects iCX cards even with default fan profiles.

It's actually WORSE for people who use default fan profiles because under the default profile, and you'd know this if you actually knew what you were talking about, the Power/VRM fan(s) don't spin at all until they are under load. So for iCX users their second and/or third fans will never, ever, spin, no matter how hot their cards get, no matter what load they are under, with version 6.1.10.

Who are you addressing this post to?

If it is to me then you will have to tell me exactly where you think I am being smug.

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 Watt, Case: Phanteks EVOLV X, Mobo: GigaByte X570 AURUS Master, CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X, GPU: Powecolor Red Devil 6900XT, RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team Group CL16, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, Boot-drive: Team Group 1TB M.2, Fans: 7 x Phanteks T30 120mm, HD: 5*WD 14TB, 2*WD Blue 2TB M.2 SSD (Games), Keyboard: DasKeyboard 4 MX-Blue, Mouse: Logitech G903, Monitor: ASUS PB287Q (2160p 60 Hz); LG 32GK850F-B (1440p 144 Hz)
jcbullen
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 142
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/16 12:18:34 (permalink)
EVGA, if you read this, I just want you to know that being forced to use XOC with my 1080ti FTW3 (if I want the fans to function properly) is making me regret my decision to purchase an EVGA card.  This is my first, and will be my last, EVGA card if this is how it's going to be.  I doubt you care about possibly losing one customer, but I just needed to say it.

1.  Using the OSD either in game, or just having the hardware monitoring window open on my second screen, causes significant keyboard input lag, to the point that games are unplayable.
2.  The OSD randomly decides to toggle itself on or off when I start up the program.  It won't just stay off.
3.  As of 6.1.1, my fan curves are screwed up and the fans don't work properly.  I had to delete and reinstall 6.0.8.
4.  Custom fan curves are never saved.  If I have a custom fan curve set up, and select either quiet or aggressive and then go back to my custom, it's just stuck on aggressive and I have to remake the whole thing.
5.  At least for Forza Horizon 3, but according to another post they have issues with all Windows Store games, using XOC causes the game to not run at all.  I can sometimes get past the loading screen, but always within a minute of launching into the game it hard crashes.
6.  Using the frame rate target is buggy.  I have a 144Hz monitor, so I set it to a 142 FPS limit.  My games get limited to 132 FPS for some reason.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but there have been a few other things.  Before I went EVGA, I had Asus cards and used Afterburner.  I never had any issues even remotely like these.
Nec_V20
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/16 12:42:44 (permalink)
jcbullen
EVGA, if you read this, I just want you to know that being forced to use XOC with my 1080ti FTW3 (if I want the fans to function properly) is making me regret my decision to purchase an EVGA card.  This is my first, and will be my last, EVGA card if this is how it's going to be.  I doubt you care about possibly losing one customer, but I just needed to say it.

1.  Using the OSD either in game, or just having the hardware monitoring window open on my second screen, causes significant keyboard input lag, to the point that games are unplayable.
2.  The OSD randomly decides to toggle itself on or off when I start up the program.  It won't just stay off.
3.  As of 6.1.1, my fan curves are screwed up and the fans don't work properly.  I had to delete and reinstall 6.0.8.
4.  Custom fan curves are never saved.  If I have a custom fan curve set up, and select either quiet or aggressive and then go back to my custom, it's just stuck on aggressive and I have to remake the whole thing.
5.  At least for Forza Horizon 3, but according to another post they have issues with all Windows Store games, using XOC causes the game to not run at all.  I can sometimes get past the loading screen, but always within a minute of launching into the game it hard crashes.
6.  Using the frame rate target is buggy.  I have a 144Hz monitor, so I set it to a 142 FPS limit.  My games get limited to 132 FPS for some reason.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but there have been a few other things.  Before I went EVGA, I had Asus cards and used Afterburner.  I never had any issues even remotely like these.

Are you using DisplayPort or HDMI? If so, does the cable you use to connect to your monitor conform to at least DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 2.0 standard?

I had BSODs after exiting Fallout 4 at 4K every single time. I then changed the value for V-Sync to "Off" in the Nvidia Control Panel and the BSODs stopped but still had problems. I then bought a DisplayPort cable certified for 1.2 and I have no more problems whatsoever - except for those damned fan profiles.

I have the EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 and my monitor is an ASUS PB287Q.

jcbullen
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/16 13:30:08 (permalink)
Nec_V20

Are you using DisplayPort or HDMI? If so, does the cable you use to connect to your monitor conform to at least DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 2.0 standard?

I had BSODs after exiting Fallout 4 at 4K every single time. I then changed the value for V-Sync to "Off" in the Nvidia Control Panel and the BSODs stopped but still had problems. I then bought a DisplayPort cable certified for 1.2 and I have no more problems whatsoever - except for those damned fan profiles.

I'm not 100% sure what type of Displayport cable I'm using, but it's the one that came with my monitor, an Acer XB270Hu.  I'd check the cable, but it's kind of hard to access.  
Nec_V20
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/16 14:17:35 (permalink)
jcbullen
Nec_V20

I'm not 100% sure what type of Displayport cable I'm using, but it's the one that came with my monitor, an Acer XB270Hu.  I'd check the cable, but it's kind of hard to access.  

Same here, I used the DisplayPort cable that came with my monitor and that obviously was not up the job of communicating with my monitor at anything higher than DisplayPort 1.1 specs.

I would spend the money and get a certified DisplayPort 1.2 cable. It's not going to break the bank and it eliminates one potential source of your problems.

jcbullen
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/16 14:49:38 (permalink)
Nec_V20

Same here, I used the DisplayPort cable that came with my monitor and that obviously was not up the job of communicating with my monitor at anything higher than DisplayPort 1.1 specs.

I would spend the money and get a certified DisplayPort 1.2 cable. It's not going to break the bank and it eliminates one potential source of your problems.

This 100% shouldn't be an issue though.  I briefly had an Asus Strix 1080 ti and I was using Afterburner and there were no issues whatsoever.
Nec_V20
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/16 15:50:13 (permalink)
jcbullen
Nec_V20

This 100% shouldn't be an issue though.  I briefly had an Asus Strix 1080 ti and I was using Afterburner and there were no issues whatsoever.

Hardware issues can be sneaky little bastards. I can give you an example from when I was working in Enterprise Disaster-Recovery Tech-Support.

We started getting in a whole load of hardware problems with SCSI Tape Backup drives. The backups would fail with either Event IDs 9, 11 or 15. It was a real head-scratcher until I remembered an article I had read in volume 18, 1998 of the C't Magazin regarding ADAPTEC's implementation of SCSI Configured Auto-Magically (yes they really did call it SCAM ). The controller (well actually it is a SCSI device with the highest priority ID 7) used SCSI ID 6 for its own purposes (and Tape drives came pre-configured to use SCSI ID 6). So I decided to experiment and asked my customers to shift the ID of their drives to SCSI ID 5. In every single case the problems disappeared. All in all about 150 open cases related to this that our company R&D had been working on for months went away as quickly as I could dial the numbers.

The Tape drives would work perfectly on SCSI controllers (or adapters) that didn't implement ADAPTEC's SCAM.

What I am trying to illustrate that because one thing works in certain circumstances they might not in others.

It could be that Precision XOC relies on you having a DisplayPort 1.2 cable connected to your monitor to function properly whereas Afterburner doesn't. I don't know, but it is worth taking a look at your cable to see if it complies with DisplayPort 1.2.

jmaster299
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/17 01:46:58 (permalink)
jcbullen

A couple of things to help you. First install 6.1.6 as it's stable in terms of fan curves and doesn't suffer from the bug with the OSD turning itself on or off on it's own. (Just be mindful of the hotkeys you have bound to toggling it on and off)

With 6.1.6 set your fan curves however you want and dial in any manual overclock, if desired.

The go and down load MSI Afterburner. Not their desktop/gaming app, but specifically Afterburner and during installation also follow the prompts to install RivaTuner.

Then use Afterburner and RivaTuner for monitoring and your OSD. Just never enable the automatic fan control in Afterburner and never set or even touch any of the clock speeds or other settings. Let the fan curve and OC be handled by Precision and let Afterburner/RivaTuner handle your OSD and system monitoring.

I've been running both for over a month with zero issue/conflict.

Edit: I see in a later post u mention U've used Afterburner before, so you know how to set it up already. I can tell you that it's safe to use both it and Precision, so long as you never try to send conflicting info to the card. Never have the fan curves enabled in both and never try to apply an overclock in both. Just let Precision handle the fan curves and Afterburner can handle your OSD, and do a much better job of it than the Precision OSD anyways.

I can only hope this nightmare prompts EVGA to do the right thing and give iCX owners a BIOS update that locks the additional fans to the curve of the GPU by default, unless the user sets a custom curve via Precision or otherwise opts into allowing the fans to spin of their own accord via Precision.

That way, those of us who want to, can avoid using Precision altogether. Buying an EVGA card should not require the use of Precision. MSI and other brands pull that nonsense by locking the max advertised clock speeds behind the need to have their software installed. A practice EVGA prided themselves on not doing themselves.

But locking iCX owners into using Precision is no different.
post edited by jmaster299 - 2017/07/18 01:51:18

d.burnette
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5496
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/17 04:09:50 (permalink)
jmaster299

That way, those of us who want to, can avoid using Precision altogether. Buying an EVGA card should not require the use of Precision. MSI and other brands pull that nonsense by locking the max advertised clock speeds behind the need to have their software installed. A practice EVGA prided themselves on not don't themselves.

But locking iCX owners into using Precision is no different.

Agreed.
I have a new EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Elite card in transit due to arrive later today. Have used Afterburner for years and am somewhat disappointed to find out fan control for all the fans on this new card is going to require my using Precision XOC . Have not used Precision since the old legacy days when it used RivaTuner, and from what I have been reading XOC is pretty buggy at this time.

Don 

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |

AdamInk
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 240
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/17 09:01:28 (permalink)
6.1.10 still not working? Or they solved the issues?

sludgeface
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/17 09:35:56 (permalink)
AdamInk

I haven't seen a peep from EVGA about it, which is in and of itself kind of disappointing. It's clearly broken. I feel bad for anyone new to their hardware that isn't aware of the problem.
d.burnette
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/17 11:33:13 (permalink)
Getting more and more nervous about having to move to Precision for this new 1080 Ti card I have coming.

Don 

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |

EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/17 11:36:15 (permalink)
This is fixed in 6.1.11 that is live now.

d.burnette
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/17 11:43:49 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF

Thank you!

Don 

d4rthdan
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/17 15:54:23 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF

Thank you, will provide feedback once tested
AdamInk
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 240
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/17 22:11:47 (permalink)
sludgeface
AdamInk

I haven't seen a peep from EVGA about it, which is in and of itself kind of disappointing. It's clearly broken. I feel bad for anyone new to their hardware that isn't aware of the problem.

Looks like 6.1.11 is out

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile