X299 Too flashy?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/05/31 21:44:38 (permalink)
MSim
BUTTON:
13. Computers. (in a graphical user interface) a small, button-shaped or clearly defined area that the user can click on or touch to choose an option.

The bios is an interface, the RGB lighting has a clearly defined area where users can click to choose an option. So technically that person is correct.

Whatever
Go Sit On Your BUTTON And Twist Away.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/05/31 21:49:19

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10103
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/05/31 23:27:19 (permalink)
I think based on the price of the CPU's it's pretty much a moot point on the added cost of the RGB. Nobody buying an Intel i9 CPU is going to complain that a motherboard costs a bit more because it has RGB lighting. Yes I know that we have options for like an i5 and i7 at a lower price but my guess is these motherboards are really aimed for people going for something more powerful and you don't drop $999 on a CPU and then question the little bit RGB would add.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Questors
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/01 05:34:40 (permalink)
MSim
bcavnaugh
MSim
The off "switch" is a bios setting to enable/disable RGB lights.

" there is a off button for all LEDs"
That is a Bios Setting not an Off Button that you Press to turn it on or off, but thank you.

BUTTON:
13. Computers. (in a graphical user interface) a small, button-shaped or clearly defined area that the user can click on or touch to choose an option.

The bios is an interface, the RGB lighting has a clearly defined area where users can click to choose an option. So technically that person is correct.

Not necessarily. A drop down menu is not a button, even by the loose definition you provided. A slider is not a button. Before you say it, you also click on drop down menus and sliders. There very well may be a clickable button in the BIOS or one of the aforementioned to turn off the RGB, no argument there.
Questors
Superclocked Member
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/01 05:45:35 (permalink)
Hoggle
I think based on the price of the CPU's it's pretty much a moot point on the added cost of the RGB. Nobody buying an Intel i9 CPU is going to complain that a motherboard costs a bit more because it has RGB lighting. Yes I know that we have options for like an i5 and i7 at a lower price but my guess is these motherboards are really aimed for people going for something more powerful and you don't drop $999 on a CPU and then question the little bit RGB would add.

That is your opinion, but not a known fact. Over the years, I have read hundreds MB reviews. Some of the most common statements made by reviewers are to the effect of, "At this or that price point to get this, you have to sacrifice that or to have all these... , you must expect to pay... , it may have been better to leave this/these off and add that/those, but keeping this price point would be impossible...."

As I said before, it's circuitry. They run through the MB with what looks to be thousands of lines on any given motherboard. They have to be carefully planned and routed, even for something as unnecessary as RGB lighting. This cost money, all the way from idea, to R&D design, to manufacturing implementation.

A cost that didn't previously exist is not magically included in the base price of a given MB until it does exist. Unless of course your name is ASUS and you overrate yourself from the start.
Questors
Superclocked Member
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/01 05:57:13 (permalink)
MSim
Questors
sHans3n
Saw bitwits video on all of EVGA's new stuff and I was excited to see their X299 motherboards until I was attacked with the massive amounts of RGB and HUGE I/O covers. 

I understand RGB and Huge flashy covers are a thing now but that HUGE I/O cover with RBG and the HUGE M.2 Fan on the X299 Dark seem to take it a little overboard. I liked EVGA motherboards for their minimalist and tidy features but everything with the X299 series of motherboards looks thrown in your face.

What does everyone else think?

I positively hate the RBG and the exaggerated fractured ice look of the I/O and heatsink covers. Being a minimalist, I like a nice neat, clean rig without a crap ton of bling and hate paying for completely unnecessary features that do not contribute to performance or value. In fact, this is the opposite of value. We can't all have it our own way, but EVGA was one of last bastions of hope for those of us who are not dazzled by flashing and color changing lights. It doesn't take much to entertain simple minds.

I am disappointed for sure and will be skipping EVGA for this round of upgrades.

I am still a little annoyed with EVGA for not coming out with the X99 version of a Dark or similar. People asked for it on the boards just like others asked for lights. Give them bling, but for Pete's sake, don't give them substance.

If they removed the RGB lighting, guess what... You would still being paying the same price for the motherboard. Worrying about what the I/O shield looks like is a first world problem.

Definitely Al! That is a true statement, but no less valid. Those of us lucky enough to live in circumstances where affording this kind luxury is the norm, are pretty much all guided by what we like. That also includes you. If you like these boards more than another brand, you will buy these.

Although I have to say, I am not worried about what the I/O cover and heatsinks look like. I simply can't stand them. To me, they are hideous. Therefore, I won't buy the product. They look like the fractured brick tile you see in train stations and restrooms. Outside this conversation, I don't give it a thought. Life's too short.

As for the cost, my feelings on it: https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2677649

post edited by Questors - 2017/06/03 14:12:11
Questors
Superclocked Member
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/01 06:40:57 (permalink)
To those following this thread, as in reading it through, my feelings about the RGB and ugly heatsinks are obvious.

HOWEVER! I have an admission to make: I was so stunned by the the aforementioned RBG junk, I didn't pay much attention to the X299 Dark. I still don't care for all the covers, but IF the solution actually works, I can live with it. Tests will determine this. So far, other MB brands have failed miserably. Otherwise I really like the design, MB cutouts for plugs and general design and features.

Therefore, I rescind my original statement that I will be skipping EVGA this upgrade timer. The X299 Dark is a definite front runner in my purchase decision making process.  If they make an X299 mITX without RGB, I will most likely buy it for the wife's new build.

Back to the topic of this thread: Whaddaya think of the RBG junk on EVGA boards?
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/01 06:50:53 (permalink)
I like RGB myself but of course that is personal preference. What I would like from motherboard manufacturers is the ability to simply turn the RGB lighting off when you want to. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

redleader00
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 906
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/01 08:12:09 (permalink)
rjohnson11
I like RGB myself but of course that is personal preference. What I would like from motherboard manufacturers is the ability to simply turn the RGB lighting off when you want to. 

Best solution for sure. I value performance more than anything, and I think a bit of RGB color is OK specially if it highlights some component (for example, the gpu, or motherboard model/brand, etc ...)
What I do not like at all is RGB all over the place that makes the PC look like a christmas tree.

Oh, and where I need light is in the backpanel of the motherboard. The back of my case goes in a poorly lit corner of my room, so this is a huge plus for me.
post edited by redleader00 - 2017/06/01 08:16:05

ragevirusqq
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 446
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/01 09:06:49 (permalink)
doesnt really matter to me since intel gimped all the chips below 10 core/$1000 range by clipping of PCIe lanes. I dont think I will be buying enthusiast class this time around since i cant justify the cost of the $1000 chip but still want the extra PCIe lanes. 

CaseLabs SM8 - X99 Classified - EVGA 1080ti - 5930k @ 4.5 - 32GB Hyper X predator - 480mm x2 and 360mm rads for super low fan speed and quiet operation- EK blocks and pump/res - All Bitspower black fittings - 1Tb samsung 850 evo 2tb total ssd space - EVGA 1300G2 - Predator X34 - Mayflower Objective 2 DAC/AMP - Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - Sennheiser HD6xx - Mackie CR4 monitors
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10337
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/01 11:45:04 (permalink)
ragevirusqq
doesnt really matter to me since intel gimped all the chips below 10 core/$1000 range by clipping of PCIe lanes. I dont think I will be buying enthusiast class this time around since i cant justify the cost of the $1000 chip but still want the extra PCIe lanes. 

+1...

I have been thinking the same thing since they released the specs & prices of the new chips.  And for the first time in many years, I'll be comparing what AMD has to offer vs Intel.  I haven't even given them a thought in at least 10 years now.

notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/01 12:14:15 (permalink)
ragevirusqq

+2  I think Intel hurt themselves by this move, although I could be wrong. 
jmike00
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 162
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/01 19:30:28 (permalink)
Questors
To those following this thread, as in reading it through, my feelings about the RGB and ugly heatsinks are obvious.

HOWEVER! I have an admission to make: I was so stunned by the the aforementioned RBG junk, I didn't pay much attention to the X299 Dark. I still don't care for all the covers, but IF the solution actually works, I can live with it. Tests will determine this. So far, other MB brands have failed miserably. Otherwise I really like the design, MB cutouts for plugs and general design and features.

Therefore, I rescind my original statement that I will be skipping EVGA this upgrade timer. The X299 Dark is a definite front runner in my purchase decision making process.  If they make an X299 mITX without RGB, I will most likely buy it for the wife's new build.

Back to the topic of this thread: Whaddaya think of the RBG junk on EVGA boards?

I think most took it with a grain of salt anyway, at least those who have seen all the offerings from competing manufacturers. Of all the enthusiast level boards, EVGA's have the least aggressive styling and what seems to be the lowest amout of RGB. All the examples released so far from Asus, MSI and Gigabyte have enough lighting to be seen from space.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/01 23:44:13 (permalink)
RGB can be disable from the bios and maybe even from the software. I care about performance and features the motherboard comes with. If i'm paying over $200 for a motherboard, it better come with latest audio chip on the market and good audio software, not the generic software version.  

The devil is in the details like always.

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/02 00:55:44 (permalink)
I hope intel did hurt themselves as AMD could easily help create the environment of a intel attitude adjustment that's been needed for a while.

As for RGBs, I love it and believe it will eventually become a standard on all boards and at the same time, hope they implement an RGB off setting for those that can't stand it or for medical reasons.  I think RGBs are great as already stated, they highlight your components and your PC themed build.  Could be used as a nice ambient light effect in ones build.  It's a piece of art you're looking at what you've build and RGB helps amply that instead of being in the dark.  Kind of pointless buying a windowed case as majority look to be and have it all in the dark.  

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
AngryAce
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 867
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/02 02:37:18 (permalink)
Hoggle

Back in 2010, I built a new gaming rig and I decided to go big or go home. I splurged in the i7 980x EE on a x58 Classy 3 and 2 brand spanking new GTX 480s. The CPU was 1k and was a once in a lifetime purchase. Fast forward to today, that is the price for the bottom 44 lane CPU. I like the x299 FTW but I cannot see myself spending 1K on a CPU again particularly since I just built my current rig last June and put it on water 2 months ago......

Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8328
  • Ribbons : 47
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/02 06:13:54 (permalink)
notfordman
ragevirusqq

+2  I think Intel hurt themselves by this move, although I could be wrong. 

A 28 lane processor isn't bad with one GPU.  However, Intel's arrogance hopefully comes back and bites them this time.  Was originally thinking about x299 and 8 core.  Right now, waiting to see what Threadripper is going to do.  AMD is making it really interesting.

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

Questors
Superclocked Member
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/02 07:07:57 (permalink)
ragevirusqq

+3

This was part of my point as well, I completely failed to express it properly.
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/02 07:39:54 (permalink)
Questors
Hoggle

That is your opinion, but not a known fact. Over the years, I have read hundreds MB reviews. Some of the most common statements made by reviewers are to the effect of, "At this or that price point to get this, you have to sacrifice that or to have all these... , you must expect to pay... , it may have been better to leave this/these off and add that/those, but keeping this price point would be impossible...."

As I said before, it's circuitry. They run through the MB with what looks to be thousands of lines on any given motherboard. They have to be carefully planned and routed, even for something as unnecessary as RGB lighting. This cost money, all the way from idea, to R&D design, to manufacturing implementation.

A cost that didn't previously exist is not magically included in the base price of a given MB until it does exist. Unless of course your name is ASUS and you overrate yourself from the start.

I have also read the reviews of motherboards and it's true they always have a part about price and features. Even cheap motherboards talk about features missing that spending a little more would get you. We will not see just one brand review mention the price and features so people will be looking at the boards on a pretty level playing ground and now RGB is pretty common so I don't think it will really be a problem for anyone.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/02 07:44:30 (permalink)
AngryAce
Hoggle

Back in 2010, I built a new gaming rig and I decided to go big or go home. I splurged in the i7 980x EE on a x58 Classy 3 and 2 brand spanking new GTX 480s. The CPU was 1k and was a once in a lifetime purchase. Fast forward to today, that is the price for the bottom 44 lane CPU. I like the x299 FTW but I cannot see myself spending 1K on a CPU again particularly since I just built my current rig last June and put it on water 2 months ago......

I really understand that and it's why I think these motherboards are not to flashy. When you get up to that kind of a CPU you know it's something special and are not going to spend $1000 or more on the CPU and then buy the cheapest motherboard you can find. When I spend the time to workout a build I make sure everything is quality even if I have to cut funding back a bit in one area to help fund another.

valzero
  • Total Posts : 95
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/02 13:45:13 (permalink)
I would rather that money be spent on other things like better motherboard documentation. There's nothing like calling evga tech support and them not being able to walk you through the bios because they couldn't afford to update their manuals after a bios upgrade. 

7920x 4.8Ghz
32GB Samsung B 4000Mhz Cas 18 18 18 38
x299 Dark
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 SLI x16 x16
1TB Samsung NVME x4
2TB Intel NVME x4

Questors
Superclocked Member
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/02 15:28:07 (permalink)
valzero
I would rather that money be spent on other things like better motherboard documentation. There's nothing like calling evga tech support and them not being able to walk you through the bios because they couldn't afford to update their manuals after a bios upgrade. 

Can I thumbs up this post?! How do I do that here? I thoroughly enjoy EVGA products and their documentation is decent, better than some, but does lack a bit.

knightsilver
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 9430
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/03 10:10:38 (permalink)
Yall can keep your stinking fancy lights, the dern thing is going under the desk anyways.....

How about eVGA work on a solid Bois from out te gate this time?
SimonOcean
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/05 06:45:47 (permalink)
sHans3n
Saw on all of EVGA's new stuff and I was excited to see their X299 motherboards until I was attacked with the massive amounts of RGB and HUGE I/O covers. 

I understand RGB and Huge flashy covers are a thing now but that HUGE I/O cover with RBG and the HUGE M.2 Fan on the X299 Dark seem to take it a little overboard. I liked EVGA motherboards for their minimalist and tidy features but everything with the X299 series of motherboards looks thrown in your face.

What does everyone else think?

I totally agree with you. I voted with my wallet and bought an EVGA X99 Micro2. Because of the motherboard I also chose to buy two high end EVGA branded GPUs to match the motherboard. You could say that the motherboard was the means to get me to buy EVGA in preference to MSI or Asus for the GPUs.

I will not be buying the EVGA X299 Micro, mainly because of the reasons you mention. I am also disappointed that there is no 10 GbE LAN nor Thunderbolt 3, so those are also significant reasons. Disappointed. 

Think 1: Caselabs Mercury S5 | Retired

Think 2 rev B: Caselabs Magnum SMA8/A | MSI X570 Tomahawk | R7-5800X | G.Skill DDR4 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34 | MSI RTX 3090 Suprim | 2x Samsung 970 Evo 2TB | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200 | Dell UP2715K 5K monitor | Twin custom water-cooling loops with Hardware Labs GTX 560 and GTS 480 with D5 pumps and Aquaero 6 XT control
SimonOcean
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/05 07:48:58 (permalink)

So who will you use for your upgrade if EVGA "was one of the last bastions of hope"?

Good question. Because everybody is doing bling in X299 and X399. I will hold out for a next generation Xeon / ECC supporting board from Asus or Supermicro I think. Until then, I stick with my X99 Micro2.

Think 1: Caselabs Mercury S5 | Retired

Think 2 rev B: Caselabs Magnum SMA8/A | MSI X570 Tomahawk | R7-5800X | G.Skill DDR4 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34 | MSI RTX 3090 Suprim | 2x Samsung 970 Evo 2TB | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200 | Dell UP2715K 5K monitor | Twin custom water-cooling loops with Hardware Labs GTX 560 and GTS 480 with D5 pumps and Aquaero 6 XT control
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/05 08:56:12 (permalink)
knightsilver
Yall can keep your stinking fancy lights, the dern thing is going under the desk anyways.....

A solid bios is important, especially with so many different cpu's to choose from.. but under a desk... Nah. Never. I dont hide my computers, I display them. I dont need motherboard lighting though, I got over the rgb craze when it became popular. I only liked it on the 980 Kingpin before it was on everything.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/06/05 09:00:01
quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/05 15:37:16 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
knightsilver

A solid bios is important, especially with so many different cpu's to choose from.. but under a desk... Nah. Never. I dont hide my computers, I display them. I dont need motherboard lighting though, I got over the rgb craze when it became popular. I only liked it on the 980 Kingpin before it was on everything.

right, while lighting is nice when tastefully done its getting a bit out of control, give me some backlit logos and indirect lighting with good software control and im good, this whole disco inferno seizure and vomit inducing stuff they can keep.   

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
jmike00
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 162
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/05 22:00:21 (permalink)
Suggestion: Redesign the FTW K's asthetics and either get rid of that broken ice/rock effect or design a system where you can remove that insert, purchase new ones or create your own. Putting such an aggressive design as a permanent feature is a bad decision because there isn't much room for the "I can tolerate it" crowd. In it's current state I just cannot purchase the FTW K. I'll either go with Z270 or seek out another manufacturer, which is something I've done in the past but was really looking forward to jumping back into EVGA motherboards. 
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/05 23:00:15 (permalink)
jmike00
Suggestion: Redesign the FTW K's asthetics and either get rid of that broken ice/rock effect or design a system where you can remove that insert, purchase new ones or create your own. Putting such an aggressive design as a permanent feature is a bad decision because there isn't much room for the "I can tolerate it" crowd. In it's current state I just cannot purchase the FTW K. I'll either go with Z270 or seek out another manufacturer, which is something I've done in the past but was really looking forward to jumping back into EVGA motherboards. 

With it being for the RGB effect I don't know how they could do much to change it. If it wasn't for the RGB lighting I would agree that it's a bold statement that wouldn't work for everyone but my guess if you like RGB lighting on a motherboard then you will probably like the look of it.

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/06 05:06:12 (permalink)
valzero

I have notice evga spec sheet and manual are lacking detailed information about the audio chips (DAC spec). Only reason to not list that information, is if you have something to hide.

It can't be that hard to add information like this can it?

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: X299 Too flashy? 2017/06/06 07:31:11 (permalink)
quadlatte
Scarlet-Tech
knightsilver

right, while lighting is nice when tastefully done its getting a bit out of control, give me some backlit logos and indirect lighting with good software control and im good, this whole disco inferno seizure and vomit inducing stuff they can keep.   

+1,000,000!!!!!!!   I hate RGB lighting, its just ugly. Im waiting for someone to do a custom build and incorporate a couple strobe lights in it to make us all sick, lol. I don't "think" its been done yet.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile