EVGA

Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing.

Author
ksull06
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/12/26 04:20:28 (permalink)
Hi.  I built my computer over the summer, but I constantly feel like it is not performing as well as I thought it would.  I have read posts on here and other places, but I am unable to figure it out.  I have never been able to keep constant frames in games that I have been playing and some have these annoying stutters that I cannot get over.  I don't know if I was expecting too much out of my system or what.  I would really love some help, because I have been tearing my hair out over this.  

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  

Thank you.

13 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/26 06:42:17 (permalink)
    When you say it stutters, which games are you referring to and what is the max fps you are seeing, as well as minimum and normal? Does the stutter happen all the time?

You may be expecting a little too much possibly. Just for example, I have 3 780tis. They do not always maintain frame rates all the time. It all depends on gpu load, game textures, current events in game, and many many other factors.

Have you run any benchmarks like Valley or Heaven to compare your performance?

You have a strong system for gaming,it just depends on all variables.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/26 06:45:01 (permalink)
    That's a nice PC you put together. It should be able to run most of today's games without problems. Here is a video of average FPS in the most popular games:

NarbiusTheGreat
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/26 08:08:29 (permalink)
    Hmm. We have very similar builds, and a very similar problem. If we have the same problem, we can maybe figure it out. My friend built a computer similar to mine and it didn't have any of the problems mine did. Plus I built mine in the summer. 

What do we have that is the same?:
    Graphics card
    Processor
    Optical Drive
    Solid State Drive
    Hard Drive
    Memory

I knocked out the possibilities of it being the Graphics, the Optical Drive, and the Hard Drive. As it happens on integrated graphics too, and disconnecting the optical drive doesn't do anything to change it. Disconnecting the Hard Drive also doesn't do anything. 

Also likely it isn't the Power Supply since we have different PSU's. 

So what could it be?:
    Processor
    Solid State Drive
    Memory
    Last but unlikely: Power Supply.

Could you send me a video of the problems that are occurring on your PC? Thanks and hope this post I made helps!
    post edited by NarbiusTheGreat - 2014/12/26 08:12:40
    ksull06
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/26 08:39:33 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    When you say it stutters, which games are you referring to and what is the max fps you are seeing, as well as minimum and normal? Does the stutter happen all the time?

You may be expecting a little too much possibly. Just for example, I have 3 780tis. They do not always maintain frame rates all the time. It all depends on gpu load, game textures, current events in game, and many many other factors.

Have you run any benchmarks like Valley or Heaven to compare your performance?

You have a strong system for gaming,it just depends on all variables.

Thank you for replying.  Two games in particular "stutter" more than others.  Skyrim and The Witcher EE.  I know Skyrim is not optimized very well and the first Witcher has problems as well.  I am using v sync on both and they do top at 60 fps.  What happens is that when it drops even a couple of frames it stutters or something.  I think I notice it or something.  I have ran a benchmark on Valley, but I have not saved it.  I can run another one and post it.  Maybe this stuff is all in my mind. lol
    ksull06
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/26 08:56:28 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    That's a nice PC you put together. It should be able to run most of today's games without problems. Here is a video of average FPS in the most popular games:

Thank you!  I did a lot of research before it built it.  I have never had a really good rig so I wanted to do it right the first time.  I watched the video and the only game I have on the list at the moment is Bioshock Infinite.  I already beat the game and I don't remember too many problems with it.  I had some pop in if I remember.  Could it just be the games that I am noticing problems with are not optimized very well?  The worst are Skyrim and The Witcher EE.
    ksull06
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/26 08:59:43 (permalink)
    NarbiusTheGreat
    Hmm. We have very similar builds, and a very similar problem. If we have the same problem, we can maybe figure it out. My friend built a computer similar to mine and it didn't have any of the problems mine did. Plus I built mine in the summer. 

What do we have that is the same?:
    Graphics card
    Processor
    Optical Drive
    Solid State Drive
    Hard Drive
    Memory

I knocked out the possibilities of it being the Graphics, the Optical Drive, and the Hard Drive. As it happens on integrated graphics too, and disconnecting the optical drive doesn't do anything to change it. Disconnecting the Hard Drive also doesn't do anything. 

Also likely it isn't the Power Supply since we have different PSU's. 

So what could it be?:
    Processor
    Solid State Drive
    Memory
    Last but unlikely: Power Supply.

Could you send me a video of the problems that are occurring on your PC? Thanks and hope this post I made helps!

Hi.  Thank you for replying!  I actually think I had seen some of your posts before about your problems.  I can try to make a video, but i have never done it before.  I also have super crappy internet so that might be a problem as well when it comes to uploading something like that.  Maybe we can figure something else out to help each other?
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/26 09:20:00 (permalink)
    You can try 'Adaptive vsync' instead of Vsync to see if that helps. Here are some links to check out:
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2073373/adaptive-vsync-vsync.html

NarbiusTheGreat
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/26 11:25:22 (permalink)
    I have a question. When you are getting stutters, is it in internet games or single player games? Also do you get low FPS? I mean I don't get low FPS, but I get crazy stutters that occur randomly. They can be horrible. Does your mouse stutter too? I am experiencing all of these things even when on the desktop or watching a video on the internet.

So here is a video of my Micro Stuttering:
    https://www.youtube.com/w...A&feature=youtu.be
    post edited by NarbiusTheGreat - 2014/12/26 11:33:47
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/26 12:17:30 (permalink)
    NarbiusTheGreat
    I have a question. When you are getting stutters, is it in internet games or single player games? Also do you get low FPS? I mean I don't get low FPS, but I get crazy stutters that occur randomly. They can be horrible. Does your mouse stutter too? I am experiencing all of these things even when on the desktop or watching a video on the internet.

My guess would be either paging file is too small possibly, your ssd is 90% filled and so is your hdd, your game settings are too high.... though the cards capable of the settings it doesn't have enough vram to use them, or its malware loading your cpu up. what os are you using?

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    NarbiusTheGreat
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/26 12:25:28 (permalink)
    wmmills
    NarbiusTheGreat

My guess would be either paging file is too small possibly, your ssd is 90% filled and so is your hdd, your game settings are too high.... though the cards capable of the settings it doesn't have enough vram to use them, or its malware loading your cpu up. what os are you using?

Thanks for replying to me. Windows 7 64-bit. Also I don't have any virus as re installing Windows 7 didn't fix it. It happens in many games- TF2, Chivalry, Far Cry 3, Portal 2, and others. My SSD is mostly filled but not completely. 40.6 GB free of 111 GB. About 2/3's of it is filled. The stuttering can also happen on the desktop when loading something (Mouse stutter) but it usually doesn't happen. I will see if setting the paging file higher will fix it.
    NarbiusTheGreat
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/26 12:38:02 (permalink)
    wmmills
    NarbiusTheGreat

Alright so I tested my paging file. I increased it to the recommended size. Didn't fix/change the spikes at all. And TF2 should run fine right?
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/27 15:11:33 (permalink)
    NarbiusTheGreat
    wmmills
    NarbiusTheGreat

Alright so I tested my paging file. I increased it to the recommended size. Didn't fix/change the spikes at all. And TF2 should run fine right?

TF2 and other mmo type games aren't reliable enough to test with because of the online connection they need. Out of what you listed portal is probably the best to figure it out with since its not online dependent and has been around a few years to work out the kinks. Maybe use the 344.48 NVidia driver, only install the GeForce driver, PhysX driver and hdmi audio if using hdmi or display port, then setup the NVidia control center on global settings with max power performance, 2 pre rendered frames, no dsr, single display performance, and if you want vsync use adaptive with triple buffering on. You really should use a gpu monitoring program like msi afterburner to setup a fan profile at least for when gaming and not gaming. If your not and the gpu is getting too hot its going to start doing all kinds of weird things and totally ruin your experience in everything. If you need further info on how to uninstall/install NVidia drivers properly go here: http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1776353#1776353  and read it first...its filled with a lot of great info.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    NarbiusTheGreat
    Re: Wondering if my GTX 770 is under performing. 2014/12/28 09:53:25 (permalink)
    wmmills
    NarbiusTheGreat
    wmmills
    NarbiusTheGreat

TF2 and other mmo type games aren't reliable enough to test with because of the online connection they need. Out of what you listed portal is probably the best to figure it out with since its not online dependent and has been around a few years to work out the kinks. Maybe use the 344.48 NVidia driver, only install the GeForce driver, PhysX driver and hdmi audio if using hdmi or display port, then setup the NVidia control center on global settings with max power performance, 2 pre rendered frames, no dsr, single display performance, and if you want vsync use adaptive with triple buffering on. You really should use a gpu monitoring program like msi afterburner to setup a fan profile at least for when gaming and not gaming. If your not and the gpu is getting too hot its going to start doing all kinds of weird things and totally ruin your experience in everything. If you need further info on how to uninstall/install NVidia drivers properly go here: http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1776353#1776353  and read it first...its filled with a lot of great info.

I have the 344.65 Nvidia driver. And have tried many versions before it. I don't think my GPU is getting hot, as the hottest it got was around 55-60 degrees Celsius on TF2 when in big games. And usually it is at 50-45 degrees Celsius on TF2 anyway. My CPU is usually around 50-55 on max load by using the Heavy Load program to test the temperature on it. I have tried multiple settings in the Nvidia control panel. Even then, my friend hasn't changed ANY settings on his computer (Didn't even change power settings- it's at balanced) and his is fine. He only opened the BIOS to be able to run his OS from the SSD. And that is it. 
    I have been thinking what this might be for a long time. I believe it is my SSD. But there are so many things that also go against that theory, so I am not sure. Some think it is my CPU, but it never goes to load really. Maybe I will try my OS on my hard drive and see if that fixes it. But that will also take forever because I will have to format my hard drive. Won't bother formatting my SSD, I'll keep the OS on there.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile