EVGA

Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why?

Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Author
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4336
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/11 10:38:00 (permalink)
willem445
Has anyone else seen the commercial with the babies and windows 10? "This generation wont have to worry about passwords, they wont have to be obsessed with security" Lol with all the privacy invading "features" implemented into 10 by default I think the next generation will have to be even more obsessed with security. Plus I doubt these children will even use 10 as the next iteration will be out before they are even old enough to use a computer. Gotta love advertising. 

The unfortunate side effect of this invasion of personal privacy/space is that there will be the general attitude of frustration and helplessness. More and more our privacy is being interfered with and removed. I see it daily with some of my clients who -must- have access to employee mail and activity to ensure they are performing their tasks rather than trusting the employees. This will become more pervasive as the years move along and the privacy advocates are shouted down by those who feel the amount of 'safety' they are being provided is worth the lack of personal freedom they give up.

As was stated by a wiser person than I am: “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18969
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/11 10:53:21 (permalink)

LOLs, W10 update triggers never-ending update reboot loop.

Gee, never saw that coming.

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-update-triggers-reboot-glitch-for-some-users/
I guess 'old' news by now (a few days), but still funny.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49199
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/11 11:13:02 (permalink)
I haven't updated my windows 10 since I installed it. What exactly are they fixing with these updates? I'm guessing security related issues?
willem445
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4461
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/11 11:15:41 (permalink)
James_L
willem445
Has anyone else seen the commercial with the babies and windows 10? "This generation wont have to worry about passwords, they wont have to be obsessed with security" Lol with all the privacy invading "features" implemented into 10 by default I think the next generation will have to be even more obsessed with security. Plus I doubt these children will even use 10 as the next iteration will be out before they are even old enough to use a computer. Gotta love advertising. 

The unfortunate side effect of this invasion of personal privacy/space is that there will be the general attitude of frustration and helplessness. More and more our privacy is being interfered with and removed. I see it daily with some of my clients who -must- have access to employee mail and activity to ensure they are performing their tasks rather than trusting the employees. This will become more pervasive as the years move along and the privacy advocates are shouted down by those who feel the amount of 'safety' they are being provided is worth the lack of personal freedom they give up.

As was stated by a wiser person than I am: “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

This x1000

I hate this trend that has been occurring as of late.
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2037
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/11 11:24:21 (permalink)
Nereus

LOLs, W10 update triggers never-ending update reboot loop.

Gee, never saw that coming.

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-update-triggers-reboot-glitch-for-some-users/
I guess 'old' news by now (a few days), but still funny.

still got KB3081424 in the delayed and wait box, the kid says its working great as is and dose-not want me to mess with it until I get his new rig ready

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"    

My Affiliate Code is  05G-UGD-GZVU

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/11 17:13:12 (permalink)
willem445

HAH yeah, I thought the exact same thing.

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/11 17:23:07 (permalink)
James_L

As usual, you and I see eye to eye.  Such a shame as going through the Beta period on my test bench I rather liked the basic functionality of the OS.  Hopefully it will get worked out.
willem445
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/12 06:01:41 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
James_L

As usual, you and I see eye to eye.  Such a shame as going through the Beta period on my test bench I rather liked the basic functionality of the OS.  Hopefully it will get worked out.

I love the core functions of 10, its smooth and runs great on my subpar laptop. Windows 8 always felt slow and laggy whereas 10 is more crisp and responsive. I wish they would release a stripped version of the OS for more power users that gets rid of all the gimmicky features and privacy junk. Doubt this would ever happen though as it doesn't fit their agenda. Cant help but think that giving out 10 for free is some type of conspiracy to spy on people, or maybe even the beginning of Skynet (just watched terminator 3 last night) lol
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/12 06:06:59 (permalink)
"Primates evolved in millions of years. I evolve in seconds...Mankind pays lip service to peace. But it's a lie...My existence is inevitable. Why can't you just accept it?" — Skynet

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/12 07:07:40 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
James_L

I'm hoping they back track quite a bit on these changes. The alpha and beta were vastly different than what was delivered. I fail to see a reason to consider the update until major changes to their invasive policy are done.

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/12 07:08:43 (permalink)
willem445
I love the core functions of 10, its smooth and runs great on my subpar laptop. Windows 8 always felt slow and laggy whereas 10 is more crisp and responsive. I wish they would release a stripped version of the OS for more power users that gets rid of all the gimmicky features and privacy junk. Doubt this would ever happen though as it doesn't fit their agenda. Cant help but think that giving out 10 for free is some type of conspiracy to spy on people, or maybe even the beginning of Skynet (just watched terminator 3 last night) lol

I'm fairly certain that they will neither confirm nor deny any of your thoughts on the formation of Skynet.

willem445
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/12 08:50:14 (permalink)
James_L
willem445

I'm fairly certain that they will neither confirm nor deny any of your thoughts on the formation of Skynet.

We will find out when the bombs drop 
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/12 09:08:49 (permalink)
What happen to Windows 9???

... and if it truly WILL be the last version, as reported by Microsoft.

"Drop "The 10"  just  "Windows"   "it's cleaner"  --    Justin Timberlake, as  Sean Parker     "The Social Network"
post edited by Pgcmoore - 2015/08/12 09:14:07

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10377
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/12 09:46:59 (permalink)
James_L
EVGATech_DaveB
James_L

I'm hoping they back track quite a bit on these changes. The alpha and beta were vastly different than what was delivered. I fail to see a reason to consider the update until major changes to their invasive policy are done.

+1...

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/12 10:01:46 (permalink)
Pgcmoore
What happen to Windows 9???

... and if it truly WILL be the last version, as reported by Microsoft.

"Drop "The 10"  just  "Windows"   "it's cleaner"  --    Justin Timberlake, as  Sean Parker     "The Social Network"

They made a statement about that already. 9 want going to be tied into Windows 95/98, so they decided to skip the 9.
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/12 10:32:04 (permalink)
kinda figured that...

anybody else "not" getting emails (today, yesterday) for some subscribed threads?
been seeing this a few times today also, probably linked to the problem i imagine?

post edited by Pgcmoore - 2015/08/12 11:03:03

Attached Image(s)

Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8346
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/13 00:13:08 (permalink)
Rolled my tablet back to 8.1

Did the Windows updates (cumulative ones from yesterday).  Typical...windows is installing...30%...reboot...to a black screen...stayed that way for quite a while.  Thought the tablet had shut off.  Couldn't do anything with the power button...usually hold down for 5 seconds and tablet shuts off...nada!  Removed the back cover and removed the battery.  Put back in and turned on....black screen for about two minutes...when all of a sudden...screen turned blue and installation resumed...Huh?  Had enough of this OS, or semblance of one.  Back to Windows 8.1 on the tablet.  Think I'll wait until MS decides to do something about Windows updates, security and the bugs.

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 CL30 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i LCD 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; Corsair K70 RGB Pro MX Speed Silver Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

notuptome2004
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 810
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/13 14:02:21 (permalink)
bobmitch
Rolled my tablet back to 8.1

Did the Windows updates (cumulative ones from yesterday).  Typical...windows is installing...30%...reboot...to a black screen...stayed that way for quite a while.  Thought the tablet had shut off.  Couldn't do anything with the power button...usually hold down for 5 seconds and tablet shuts off...nada!  Removed the back cover and removed the battery.  Put back in and turned on....black screen for about two minutes...when all of a sudden...screen turned blue and installation resumed...Huh?  Had enough of this OS, or semblance of one.  Back to Windows 8.1 on the tablet.  Think I'll wait until MS decides to do something about Windows updates, security and the bugs.

i did that update and  mine worked fine tho not tablet  but it stays a black screen for a small bit then it is fine 
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/14 07:06:27 (permalink)
Here's some additional news of which (I think previously I estimated it may come to this in a previous post) is very disturbing for anyone running Windows 10 overseas in the EU districts.

Apparently it has come to be noticed within the 'Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms' for Windows 10 that (and I'll quote the article):

“Sometimes you’ll need software updates to keep using the Services. We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services.”

Considering that Microsoft would have your data about the software/hardware of your system. If they, according to this particular clause, determine that your software (for any reason) is invalid they may deny your access to this application. Additionally they may invalidate any hardware they deem unauthorized in order to maintain their OS. This is disturbing as you would no longer be able to tinker with your system to make it do what you desire along with potentially building new peripherals or devices which may attach to your system if it is determined by Microsoft to be non-supported hardware. 

(Source): http://www.pcauthority.co...illegal-hardware.aspx?

..And thus the invasion of your freedom to utilize the OS as you see fit is being removed.

agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/14 07:20:02 (permalink)
James_L
Here's some additional news of which (I think previously I estimated it may come to this in a previous post) is very disturbing for anyone running Windows 10 overseas in the EU districts.

Apparently it has come to be noticed within the 'Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms' for Windows 10 that (and I'll quote the article):

“Sometimes you’ll need software updates to keep using the Services. We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services.”

Considering that Microsoft would have your data about the software/hardware of your system. If they, according to this particular clause, determine that your software (for any reason) is invalid they may deny your access to this application. Additionally they may invalidate any hardware they deem unauthorized in order to maintain their OS. This is disturbing as you would no longer be able to tinker with your system to make it do what you desire along with potentially building new peripherals or devices which may attach to your system if it is determined by Microsoft to be non-supported hardware. 

..And thus the invasion of your freedom to utilize the OS as you see fit is being removed.

This.... Let's say your buddy makes a cool Counterstrike mod and wants to share it with you. Maybe that could trigger something to make it look like you have a "counterfeit" game and Whammmo! Your system is Borked. Or you want to play a new Batman game but the newest drivers don't play nice and you have to roll back for better performance... too bad.

My experience with 10 so far has been mixed. I have some apps that I use that have gone blurry (Yes, I tried the dpi setting stuff as well as the other font thing that gives you choices for what block of text looks best, I can't remember the name) and there is no rhyme or reason. I have had it do a few force updates while I was working but then again, I haven't done a lot of the tweaks that have been posted. I have had windows open weirdly on a few occasions on some apps. I like some of the layout and other parts, not so much. One thing is for sure, I am NOT putting this on my htpc or my main system. 
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/14 08:02:07 (permalink)
to delay updates or rollback drivers (indefinitely, so far), install this tool from Microsoft:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/14 08:33:04 (permalink)
James_L

I doubt t they just randomly shut things off, but for the people stealing games, stealing software like Adobe Premiere CS6, Sony Vegas, and things like that, and only using them "offline" to avoid get caught with printed software is what they are targeting. People that don't illegally download stuff can show their legitimate purchase. People that private are the ones that need to worry.

Illegal hardware.. Like, people installing devices to hide their illegal downloading? Maybe? I don't know. I know I will never have to worry about this stuff, because I don't waste my time with illegal garbage.

If you post a ModsRigs, then they would be able to see your stuff with your permission. Nvidia inspects your entire system and you don't care.. Yet, Windows admits to it and it is suddenly an issue? I can never understand people that complain about privacy when they are sharing their life story online. Disconnect from the Internet and the conspiracy theory of everyone monitoring "us" goes away.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/08/14 08:35:31
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/14 08:41:46 (permalink)
DirectX has been looking at the stuff since what???  95?

Nobody cares cause it makes the games run,,

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/14 10:20:08 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
I doubt t they just randomly shut things off, but for the people stealing games, stealing software like Adobe Premiere CS6, Sony Vegas, and things like that, and only using them "offline" to avoid get caught with printed software is what they are targeting. People that don't illegally download stuff can show their legitimate purchase. People that private are the ones that need to worry.

Illegal hardware.. Like, people installing devices to hide their illegal downloading? Maybe? I don't know. I know I will never have to worry about this stuff, because I don't waste my time with illegal garbage.

If you post a ModsRigs, then they would be able to see your stuff with your permission. Nvidia inspects your entire system and you don't care.. Yet, Windows admits to it and it is suddenly an issue? I can never understand people that complain about privacy when they are sharing their life story online. Disconnect from the Internet and the conspiracy theory of everyone monitoring "us" goes away.

I certainly agree with you on the software issue. I don't utilize pirated software in any manner nor do I condone the use of such thing. As for the hardware aspect of the privacy issues I seriously doubt that anything that is placed within your system should be scrutinized by a third party in order to determine just how your system operates should be done without your consent. This is what that particular sentence allows for. I don't allow nVidia to inspect my whole system. I, like some others, only install the graphics driver and PhysX in order to play whatever games I feel I want to. There is nothing that the nVidia gaming experience nor their updater service will need to do for the systems I maintain. Yes, I certainly care what is out there in the public eye for my personal self. I hardly put anything out there relating to my personal life at all, just options and insights for my business. The Internet is a vast and wonderful tool which can be used for a multitude of purposes but just because you don't perceive your privacy matters is not why you should just ignore the incidents of which breach the privacy for everyone as a whole. It's not a conspiracy theory if the relevant items and incidents are true. It's a well known fact which has been cited on numerous sites that your personal privacy is being data mined for advertisements and purposes the likes of which you may not even fathom at this time.

Everything posted on a public forum is open for not only discussion but for evaluation as to your leanings and personal preferences/thoughts. Again, just because someone doesn't feel there is anything immediately wrong about it doesn't mean it's not incorrect. Once you give up your personal privacy rights and no longer fight to ensure they are recognized and adhered to then it is just a short step to censorship and restrictions as to what you are able to discuss and argue.

Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile