EVGA

LockedWhat's your top 10 most influential free software projects?

Author
Smily104
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/09/04 15:40:18 (permalink)
10. Julia
9. Xorg
8. VS Code
7. Windows 11
6. Chromium
5. gcc
4. AOSP
3. Python
2. Git
1. Linux

18 Replies Related Threads

Smily104
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 15:41:21 (permalink)
    What's your list?
    Smily104
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 15:42:50 (permalink)
    Honorable mention: LibreOffice
    eazy_egirl
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 16:22:17 (permalink)
    This is outrageous. Do you really even know what free software is? You seem to conflate "free" as in "free speech" with "free" as in "free beer". Like are you alright? You include VS Code for Ch*&@#'s sake. That's not even proper open source software, which you'd know if you had an eighth of a neuron floating around in your "head". And Python? It's just some high level nonsense HR and web devs tell us is "important" for the sake of keeping their jobs. I don't know a *single* situation where it performs well enough to warrant usage in the real world. H*ck you don't even list a real language like C. Get it together, man.
    Smily104
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 16:31:44 (permalink)
    eazy_egirl
    This is outrageous. Do you really even know what free software is? You seem to conflate "free" as in "free speech" with "free" as in "free beer". Like are you alright? You include VS Code for Ch*&@#'s sake. That's not even proper open source software, which you'd know if you had an eighth of a neuron floating around in your "head". And Python? It's just some high level nonsense HR and web devs tell us is "important" for the sake of keeping their jobs. I don't know a *single* situation where it performs well enough to warrant usage in the real world. H*ck you don't even list a real language like C. Get it together, man.

First of all, all of the software I have named is licensed under free, or even copyleft, licenses. It's obvious to me that you don't know anything in the slightest about FOSS.
    Smily104
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 16:32:48 (permalink)
    eazy_egirl
    You include VS Code for Ch*&@#'s sake. That's not even proper open source software, which you'd know if you had an eighth of a neuron floating around in your "head".

VS Code simply refers to the proprietary distribution of code, a FOSS project. In fact, you can contribute to the source code on GitHub if you're so inclined.
    Smily104
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 16:34:26 (permalink)
    eazy_egirl
    And Python? It's just some high level nonsense HR and web devs tell us is "important" for the sake of keeping their jobs.

By "python", I'm referring to CPython, the reference Python interpreter. Not only is it a righteous piece of software, it's FOSS and free for all to inspect, modify, and redistribute.
    Smily104
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 16:36:04 (permalink)
    eazy_egirl
    H*ck you don't even list a real language like C. Get it together, man.

C is a language, thus it isn't licensed in any way whatsoever. I did, however, include two compiler toolchains (gcc and LLVM) on my list, and both are configurable to compile C.
    eazy_egirl
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 16:40:08 (permalink)
    Smily104
    eazy_egirl
    And Python? It's just some high level nonsense HR and web devs tell us is "important" for the sake of keeping their jobs.

By "python", I'm referring to CPython, the reference Python interpreter. Not only is it a righteous piece of software, it's FOSS and free for all to inspect, modify, and redistribute.

Why even bother. You could be using Numba. You could be using Pyston. You could be using JIT'ted ECMAScript. but *no*. You choose Cython. That's not even a Python interpreter, it's just a backend for the language. How much do you really know about the subject of this stuff? More importantly if you care about performance, you would've ranked Julia significantly higher. If you cared about portability, you'd put GCC higher. There's a million libraries better than python. All the best python libraries, after all, are written in C or R.
    eazy_egirl
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 16:41:13 (permalink)
    Smily104
    eazy_egirl

C is a language, thus it isn't licensed in any way whatsoever. I did, however, include two compiler toolchains (gcc and LLVM) on my list, and both are configurable to compile C.

LLVM isn't even on your list dic*we*d.
    Smily104
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 16:55:00 (permalink)
    Thats it. I'm not responding to any more of your comments.
    Smily104
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 17:00:52 (permalink)
    eazy_egirl
    Smily104
    eazy_egirl

Why even bother. You could be using Numba. You could be using Pyston. You could be using JIT'ted ECMAScript. but *no*. You choose Cython. That's not even a Python interpreter, it's just a backend for the language. How much do you really know about the subject of this stuff?

Yes, and all C packages are written in assembly. We can continue this way ad absurdum, but the reality is that Python is a well-designed software package with massive uptake (see: the recent Stack overflow developer survey - devs love it!)

Other packages like Java and Go have brute-forced their popularity by via support from large corporations - Oracle for Java, and G**gle for Go. Python has managed to eclipse these languages in use despite having little corporate backing. It's design sets it apart.
    Smily104
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 17:05:02 (permalink)
    eazy_egirl
    Smily104
    eazy_egirl

More importantly if you care about performance, you would've ranked Julia significantly higher. If you cared about portability, you'd put GCC higher. There's a million libraries better than python. All the best python libraries, after all, are written in C or R.

Sure. Julia may have better performance than Python, but it's worse than C or Rust. It strikes a nice balance between ease-of-use and performance, better than most, but Python is still easier to use.

Python is useful for scientific computing and data science - much like Julia. But it also excels at shell scripting, web development, machine learning. It's simply a more versatile language.
    Smily104
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 17:06:50 (permalink)
    eazy_egirl
    Smily104
    eazy_egirl

It is. Reread my list.
    eazy_egirl
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 18:33:06 (permalink)
    You want good free software? Look at curl. Look at make. Look at IRC clients. Look at apt/yum/pacman or other package managers. These are all shining examples of what the free software community has to offer. And you bring up Python. You can't even do concurrency properly in python due to the GIL. I concede that clueless data scientists use and will continue to use Python long after it's lost its luster to upcoming (FOSS!) languages like Crystal, Nim, or Go.

Smily104
    Yes, and all C packages are written in assembly. We can continue this way ad absurdum

NO! We can't continue! This is complete nonsense, man!!! This is so typical of a Python fanatic. You come in here spouting these lies about python, as if you never really talked to someone outside your bubble! A huge part of the reason for FOSS' limited uptake is the widespread impression that, like you, the FOSS community is needlessly opinionated and combative. Educate yourself. Go outside. Touch grass. Talk to *real* developers who solve *real* problems instead of throwing some machine learning algorithm (usually implemented in C++!!) that they don't understand on some dataset that their employer gives them, then say that pigs will fly in 5 years.

Smily104
    eazy_egirl

It is. Reread my list.

ugh. read your own gos*darn list.
    eazy_egirl
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 18:37:05 (permalink)
    Smily104
    8. VS Code
    7. Windows 11
    6. Chromium
    5. gcc
    4. AOSP

Smily104
    Other packages like Java and Go have brute-forced their popularity by via support from large corporations - Oracle for Java, and G**gle for Go.

So which is it, huh? AOSP is surely "open source" just like Go, and made by Google just like Go, but suddenly you're too high and mighty for a vital programming language after supporting a platform that's undermoderated and steals valuable income from app developers?

eazy_egirl
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 18:40:43 (permalink)
    Smily104
    It's design sets it apart.

Its

eazy_egirl
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 18:42:41 (permalink)
    Smily104
    Thats it. I'm not responding to any more of your comments.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: What's your top 10 most influential free software projects? 2021/09/04 22:38:29 (permalink)

Locking for being a spam thread, and personal attacks.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile