EVGA

Weird smell coming from 3070ti all of a sudden

Author
Htssath
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2024/07/03 04:11:43 (permalink)
So I’ve had my card for about 2 years now at this point and it has worked great up until one of the fans stopped working on it. I bought a replacement fan and it had been fine until recently, where it sounds like maybe the middle fan this time crapping out since it is making this scraping noise whenever I’m playing a heavy game like Elden Ring. There has also been this weird and frankly concerning burnt dust/plasticky smell coming from my computer which I’m convinced is coming from the GPU. I already pulled out the PSU and the GPU and dusted out the computer and cleaned them up and checked the pins, everything looks fine and there’s nothing melted or damaged. After sniffing the card closely, it seems the smell is coming from within the card itself.

I figured I’d make a post since I couldn’t find anything on card smell that wasn’t at least with newer cards. This has been a more recent issue after owning the card for some time and I’m concerned, but nothing actually looks wrong with my card and I can still pay games and do stuff on my PC with no issues.

Any advice?

1 Reply Related Threads

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10418
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Weird smell coming from 3070ti all of a sudden 2024/07/03 08:04:41 (permalink)
    It could be one of the fans is not seated properly. With the GPU mounted in the horizontal position, reach in and press up the all the fan hubs and release. Do each one a few times to be sure they're not stuck.  You should feel a bit of play in the fans when you do that. One of them may be stuck. It would still spin but could be rubbing on something or the hub heating up to the point you smell something burning.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile