EVGA

Turn off the GPU RTX 3060 TI and switch to onboard iGPU for power saving

Author
iauvi
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2024/06/27 05:52:17 (permalink)
I have EVGA RTX 3060Ti and an in-built iGPU in the motherboard.
For Power saving, I want to disable the GPU and use the iGPU instead.
So, I have disabled the RTX from the device manager.

The GPU got disabled and the fans were turned off. But after certain minutes the fans got turned on again and running slowly even if the GPU is disabled.

How can I turn off the GPU properly, so that the fans and the GPU get properly turned off?????

Requesting assistance.
post edited by iauvi - 2024/06/27 05:55:39

9 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31124
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Turn off the GPU RTX 3060 TI and switch to onboard iGPU for power saving 2024/06/27 06:08:36 (permalink)
    iauvi

The GPU got disabled and the fans were turned off. But after certain minutes the fans got turned on again and running slowly even if the GPU is disabled.

How can I turn off the GPU properly, so that the fans and the GPU get properly turned off?????

Requesting assistance.

Congrats on your first Post

FTW3 or XC ?

If your GPU has the OC switch, make sure it is not in OC position as that would keep the fans from stopping

Your monitor is only connected to the iGPU? (no connection to GPU) - then the power draw should be tiny on the 3060Ti (idle state)

Nvidia control panel settings:  are they at default?

Is your MB, BIOS settings set to use the iGPU as first (primary gpu)?

Heat will cause the GPU fans to come on normally, (stock settings); though an idle GPU should not get warm enough to turn fans on

Have you tried setting a custom fan curve, with your favorite OC software ? (see if fans can be set to off till 40 C)

Removing  the GPU & storing it in the box would be the final solution, make sure to unplug PC first

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

iauvi
    Re: Turn off the GPU RTX 3060 TI and switch to onboard iGPU for power saving 2024/06/27 09:14:04 (permalink)
    My one is XC

I do not know if it has OC switch or not. Can you help me about it?

Nvidia control panel settings: All are in default. But when I disable the GPU from device manager, the control panel gets disabled automatically.

Have you tried setting a custom fan curve, with your favorite OC software? (see if fans can be set to off till 40 C) >>> Never installed anything to overclock any module ever

Removing the GPU & storing it in the box would be the final solution, make sure to unplug PC first >>> This is not the solution I'm seeking for. Because, when I need my GPU, I'll have to activate it.
    Cpt.Derrek
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: Turn off the GPU RTX 3060 TI and switch to onboard iGPU for power saving 2024/06/27 09:34:16 (permalink)
    I don't believe you can fully turn off your graphics card while your computer is on. In fact disabling in device manage will consume more power because it won't allow the GPU to go into its low power idle state and remain in a higher power consuming boot up state. 
    At Idle you're talking about 15-17w (with 60hz single display). You can try using the windows graphics settings located at the bottom of the windows display settings to set what GPU accellerates what program like chrome or any other background task that has graphics acceleration, but you really are not saving that much power and you might run into some strange display issues say for example if you're watching youtube on a display that is running off the video card but being processed on your IGPU. 

13900k Delided, unleashed, and undervolted
    EVGA Z690 Classified
    64Gb G.Skill 6400Mhz CL32
    EVGA RTX 3080ti Hydrocopper @2Ghz

iauvi
    Re: Turn off the GPU RTX 3060 TI and switch to onboard iGPU for power saving 2024/06/27 09:45:43 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    iauvi

Requesting assistance.

If your GPU has the OC switch, make sure it is not in OC position as that would keep the fans from stopping

Your monitor is only connected to the iGPU? (no connection to GPU) - then the power draw should be tiny on the 3060Ti (idle state)

Heat will cause the GPU fans to come on normally, (stock settings); though an idle GPU should not get warm enough to turn fans on

Have you tried setting a custom fan curve, with your favorite OC software ? (see if fans can be set to off till 40 C)

Removing  the GPU & storing it in the box would be the final solution, make sure to unplug PC first

My one is XC

Nvidia control panel settings: All are in default. But when I disable the GPU from device manager, the control panel gets disabled automatically.

Is your MB, BIOS settings set to use the iGPU as first (primary GPU)? >>> Yes
    Have you tried setting a custom fan curve, with your favorite OC software? (see if fans can be set to off till 40 C) >>> Never installed anything to overclock any module ever

Removing the GPU & storing it in the box would be the final solution, make sure to unplug PC first >>> This is not the solution I'm seeking for. Because, when I need my GPU, I'll have to activate it.
    iauvi
    Re: Turn off the GPU RTX 3060 TI and switch to onboard iGPU for power saving 2024/06/27 09:47:49 (permalink)
    Cpt.Derrek
    I don't believe you can fully turn off your graphics card while your computer is on. In fact disabling in device manage will consume more power because it won't allow the GPU to go into its low power idle state and remain in a higher power consuming boot up state. 
    At Idle you're talking about 15-17w (with 60hz single display). You can try using the windows graphics settings located at the bottom of the windows display settings to set what GPU accellerates what program like chrome or any other background task that has graphics acceleration, but you really are not saving that much power and you might run into some strange display issues say for example if you're watching youtube on a display that is running off the video card but being processed on your IGPU. 

Know perfectly before answering. I did not asked this question for listening someone's assumption. Thanks by the way!
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21211
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Turn off the GPU RTX 3060 TI and switch to onboard iGPU for power saving 2024/06/27 11:15:37 (permalink)
    The best way to disable the GPU is to remove it.  If it is receiving power, it is running and using power, even if it is "disabled" and not being assigned any work.  The GPU would need to be designed to be turned off via software, like NVIDIA's optimus compatible systems.  Yours is not.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31124
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Turn off the GPU RTX 3060 TI and switch to onboard iGPU for power saving 2024/06/28 12:33:04 (permalink)
    iauvi
    Cool GTX
    iauvi

Requesting assistance.

My one is XC

Is your MB, BIOS settings set to use the iGPU as first (primary GPU)? >>> Yes

XC does not have the BIOS "OC switch" - set Nvidia Control panel to Adaptive (best energy setting) is probably all you can do

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21211
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Turn off the GPU RTX 3060 TI and switch to onboard iGPU for power saving 2024/06/28 21:39:31 (permalink)
    I have a laptop with Optimus technology. It's awesome.  I don't know why they just designed it to be used in some laptops.

From what I have researched, if it wasn't designed into the NVIDIA GPU from the start, there is know way to turn off the GPU and stop its power consumption.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2024/06/29 05:56:26

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102859
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re: Turn off the GPU RTX 3060 TI and switch to onboard iGPU for power saving 2024/06/29 00:05:39 (permalink)
    Turning off or attempting to turn off the GPU will not make much difference in power if you are not using 3D or gaming applications. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile