EVGA

Thougts after2080ti FTW3 waterblock installation

Author
epithumia
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/14 21:20:15 (permalink)
After getting enough of my system built to test functionality of the two RTX2080ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid cards (model 11G-P4-2484-KR)
and get some baseline temperature readings under load, I pulled them out and installed two Hydro Copper waterblocks (model 400-HC-1489-B1).  Just wanted to toss out my notes and such for anyone else who happens to do this.

The first, most obvious thing I noticed is that the installation instructions refer only to the regular three-fan cards and don't mention the hybrid cooler at all.  That model of card isn't even listed in the compatibility section at all, even though it is listed on the website.  It's easy enough to figure out if you're the kind of person who is going to rip into a $1500 GPU anyway, but you'd kind of expect better for a $1700 cash layout for card and cooler.  The upside is that there are fewer screws to remove since the slot cover isn't as large, and the black washers for the GPU bracket are pre-installed.

When the instructions refer to #4 screws, they aren't referring to #4 screws but to the set of screws labeled '4' in the parts diagram.

Even though my two cards have serial numbers that differ by only 240, the backplate screws differ between them.  One set of screws takes a PH1 driver, the other set takes a PH0 driver.  The hybrid cooler heatsinks are slightly different, too, and in one the pump power cable is taped to the heatsink while in the other it is held in place by two rubber blocks.  The design with the tape and PH0 screws is the older one (going by the serial numbers).

The little sticker covering one of the backplate screws near the NVLink connector is annoying.  At least it doesn't say "warranty void if removed" (which is illegal in many places anyway) but it's not mentioned in the instructions and seems superfluous on something which you are expected to remove anyway.

When removing the RGB LED connector, it is quite easy for the socket body to come off of the board and stick to the connector, leaving just the pins.  If this happens, be sure to replace it carefully and in the correct orientation, since nothing else keeps you from putting the connector in backwards and it isn't difficult to bend the pins.

The instructions never tell you to put the slot cover back on.  Some pictures show the cover in place, some don't.  Fortunately it doesn't really matter when you do this, but you can reinstall it as soon as you have removed the plastic shroud that covers the pump/fan/heatsink setup.

The application of heatsink compound on the pump block is interesting.  Basically they make contact not just with the GPU but the bracket around it.  Since that bracket cools the ram and is screwed to the heatsink that cools one block of VRMs, I guess it makes sense but it sort of looks like overload when you remove it.

The LED cables on my water blocks were extremely short.  Shorter than is shown in the instructions (which is pretty short).  This made putting things together a bit more challenging.  You have to prop the card up at just the right angle on the cooler and even then there is barely enough cable.

I think that's about it.  I'm still waiting on other parts to finish the plumbing so I don't know how well it will perform.  Does anyone have any thoughts on thermal pads in use on the blocks?  I'm not familiar with thermal pad performance so I don't know if it would ever be worthwhile to replace what EVGA provided.

5 Replies Related Threads

advise429
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: Thougts after2080ti FTW3 waterblock installation 2019/03/15 13:44:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips, have the same card and was a little worried by the fact that the instructions don't list the hybrid card and are very vague 
    what did your card max out temp wise and with what fans just for comparison, im running 2 ml120 fans push/pull at a max speed of 1850rpm and it hits 58-61 under gaming loads(which i wasn't happy with, along with the pump hum/buzz as compared to the 10 series cards which are dead silent )
    this lead me to do a full loop, and the price of the loop equals a new 2080ti ftw3 hybrid card lol 

AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Thougts after2080ti FTW3 waterblock installation 2019/03/15 17:27:37 (permalink)
    :) the price of happiness! It will all be worth it in the end! Silence and cold card = happy card hally life!

I got my hydro block today bit I gota wait till like monday/ Tuesday for the rest of the parts. It I'll be loving every minute of it!

Evga ftw!

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    epithumia
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: Thougts after2080ti FTW3 waterblock installation 2019/03/26 12:30:31 (permalink)
    advise429
    Thanks for the tips, have the same card and was a little worried by the fact that the instructions don't list the hybrid card and are very vague 
    what did your card max out temp wise and with what fans just for comparison,

Well sadly I'm still waiting on parts to actually build my loop.  The pump top I ordered had internal cracks and had to be sent back.  Still have another week of shipping before it gets to me, and then I can do the bulk of the plumbing.

With the stock hybrid cooler and stock fans running in regular non-OC mode in free air (case open and the radiators just flopping out on the table) I managed to get the GPU temp up to 54C and the mem3 temp up to 72 running furmark for half an hour.  Both cards had similar temps.

If I ever finish this, everything will be piped through two EK 360 PE radiators, each with three of the ugly but oh-so-great Noctua NF-A12x25 fans.  They are really nice if you can tolerate the tan and brown.
    Mcwrah
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 245
    Re: Thougts after2080ti FTW3 waterblock installation 2019/03/26 12:42:56 (permalink)
    epithumia
    advise429

Well sadly I'm still waiting on parts to actually build my loop.  The pump top I ordered had internal cracks and had to be sent back.  Still have another week of shipping before it gets to me, and then I can do the bulk of the plumbing.

With the stock hybrid cooler and stock fans running in regular non-OC mode in free air (case open and the radiators just flopping out on the table) I managed to get the GPU temp up to 54C and the mem3 temp up to 72 running furmark for half an hour.  Both cards had similar temps.

If I ever finish this, everything will be piped through two EK 360 PE radiators, each with three of the ugly but oh-so-great Noctua NF-A12x25 fans.  They are really nice if you can tolerate the tan and brown.

Do update or pm me your temps when you assemble it. I plan to do a custom loop sometime this summer (july or august) with same rads and fans (already using the fans on my hybrid push/pull and 360 CPU AIO). But I might be getting the EK waterblock instead because the hydro copper availability in EU is weird.
    advise429
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: Thougts after2080ti FTW3 waterblock installation 2019/03/26 13:25:46 (permalink)
    Mcwrah
    epithumia
    advise429

Do update or pm me your temps when you assemble it. I plan to do a custom loop sometime this summer (july or august) with same rads and fans (already using the fans on my hybrid push/pull and 360 CPU AIO). But I might be getting the EK waterblock instead because the hydro copper availability in EU is weird.

Im running a very similar setup 2x ek pe 360 rads, d5 pump, 2080ti ftw 3 hydro copper 
    stilling bleeding and temps dont go over 53c holding 2105mhz 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile