EVGA

Helpful Reply[Solved] EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Faulty water pump?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
MrModZix
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/07/23 07:58:55 (permalink)
Edit: nowadays the same GPU is never going above 60C. What caused the extremely high temps was probably a combination of trapped air, solved by carefully moving and holding the radiator and GPU around (NOT SHAKING), and poorly applied thermal paste. I had a strange ticking noise that I mentioned in this thread and another that eventually completely went away after re-applying the thermal paste by finger in a thin layer. This also caused the temps to drop significantly. I recently swapped the stock radiator fan for a Phanteks T30 which helps a lot with getting air through the radiator at max RPM. Average temps are now between 40-50C at ~80% load and 50-60C at 90-100% load.

Bought it in 2016. Highest it reached back then was about 50-55C when overclocked with the values I still use today. I used the pre-applied thermal paste and hadn't changed it till last year when my temps started to reach 85+C in the summer. The temps were gradually increasing 2 years after I got the GPU before it reached that point. Idle temps are between 32-34C. Were below 30C when I first had the GPU.

The thermal paste I used to replace the old one was Arctic Silver 5. It was really old thermal paste, probably like 7-10 years old. It kind of worked because it got my temps down to 70C but only temporarily. It didn't take long for it to reach 80C again under full load. I replaced it once more with the same paste before I used Arctic MX-4 which I recently put on.

The issue I'm now having is quite weird. No matter how much thermal paste I use or how I apply it, I can't get it to not overheat. It'll reach up to 84C now under full load. I've applied the paste using the star method with more than enough thermal paste (probably too much since I used pretty thick lines), which is an X and a + so it covers every bit of the GPU die.

I've searched pretty heavily on what kind of issues others were having when reaching temps as high as I am and most people had a faulty water pump. I checked one of the hoses of the water pump and it's warm when I touch it under full load. The other one is cold. The air coming out of the radiator is warm as well but not as warm as I'd expect it to be at 84C though. The amount of air being pushed out seems to be rather weak too compared to when I first had the card. I noticed hot air comes out after the GPU reaches 70C.

Some people in other threads speculated on air bubbles getting stuck and suggested to shake the pump around a bit. I tried but to no avail. I can hear the water pump buzzing which means that it's working. One of the hoses is vibrating a little too.

The radiator is mounted to the back of my case blowing air out. Before it is a CPU cooler that blows air through it. I've checked the air blowing out of the CPU cooler and it's not hot so that's not the reason for my temps. Recently cleaned my case too which was pretty dusty but it didn't help with GPU temps.

I've tried putting all case fans and the GPU's shroud fan on max speeds but it barely helps. Maybe gets the temp down by 1-2C.

One other thing: ever since replacing the thermal paste on my GPU (year ago) I've been getting a weird ticking noise coming from it under >80% load, no matter how much I clean the GPU die and around it before applying thermal paste. My guess is that I keep using too much thermal paste when I'm applying but is this harmful? I didn't have the noise before I replaced the thermal paste for the first time.

I'm at a point where I'm considering buying a new card out of desperation but the card's performance still holds up today and hasn't disappointed me. Does anyone know if there's a way to get the pump working properly again?
post edited by MrModZix - 2022/12/07 02:09:10
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/23 09:34:39 (permalink)
MrModZix
Bought it in 2016. Highest it reached back then was about 50-55C when overclocked with the values I still use today. I used the pre-applied thermal paste and hadn't changed it till last year when my temps started to reach 85+C in the summer. The temps were gradually increasing 2 years after I got the GPU before it reached that point. Idle temps are between 32-34C. Were below 30C when I first had the GPU.

The thermal paste I used to replace the old one was Arctic Silver 5. It was really old thermal paste, probably like 7-10 years old. It kind of worked because it got my temps down to 70C but only temporarily. It didn't take long for it to reach 80C again under full load. I replaced it once more with the same paste before I used Arctic MX-4 which I recently put on.

The issue I'm now having is quite weird. No matter how much thermal paste I use or how I apply it, I can't get it to not overheat. It'll reach up to 84C now under full load. I've applied the paste using the star method with more than enough thermal paste (probably too much since I used pretty thick lines), which is an X and a + so it covers every bit of the GPU die.

I've searched pretty heavily on what kind of issues others were having when reaching temps as high as I am and most people had a faulty water pump. I checked one of the hoses of the water pump and it's warm when I touch it under full load. The other one is cold. The air coming out of the radiator is warm as well but not as warm as I'd expect it to be at 84C though. The amount of air being pushed out seems to be rather weak too compared to when I first had the card. I noticed hot air comes out after the GPU reaches 70C.

Some people in other threads speculated on air bubbles getting stuck and suggested to shake the pump around a bit. I tried but to no avail. I can hear the water pump buzzing which means that it's working. One of the hoses is vibrating a little too.

The radiator is mounted to the back of my case blowing air out. Before it is a CPU cooler that blows air through it. I've checked the air blowing out of the CPU cooler and it's not hot so that's not the reason for my temps. Recently cleaned my case too which was pretty dusty but it didn't help with GPU temps.

I've tried putting all case fans and the GPU's shroud fan on max speeds but it barely helps. Maybe gets the temp down by 1-2C.

One other thing: ever since replacing the thermal paste on my GPU (year ago) I've been getting a weird ticking noise coming from it under >80% load, no matter how much I clean the GPU die and around it before applying thermal paste. My guess is that I keep using too much thermal paste when I'm applying but is this harmful? I didn't have the noise before I replaced the thermal paste for the first time.

I'm at a point where I'm considering buying a new card out of desperation but the card's performance still holds up today and hasn't disappointed me. Does anyone know if there's a way to get the pump working properly again?

84C is kinda toasty with an AIO.  Personally I'd redo the thermal paste again, with Kryonaut TIM. GPU's need a bit more paste than your typical CPU, but you should not need an amount that it's squeezing out around the die area, even though that shouldn't cause any issues. A pea sized amount should be enough. When you remove the cooler are there ANY voids in the paste or does it look like you have full coverage?
I personally use two fans in push/pull exhaust on the radiator connected to a motherboard header. At 90% you can't hear either one,  couple of Scythe AP-14's. Gentle Typhoons.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/23 09:51:34 (permalink)
Thanks for your reply.

I actually did some research about MX-4 vs Kryonaut and read that they only differ by about a few degrees C. That's why I just went with MX-4. It cost me half of what Kryonaut would cost me.

I read that when applying thermal paste on a GPU, the entire die should be covered because the GPU doesn't have an IHS like a CPU. That's why I kind of went overboard a little this time but I'm pretty sure the whole die is covered since I used as much as last time. When I reapplied recently the coverage was really good.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/23 10:08:59 (permalink)
MrModZix
Thanks for your reply.

I actually did some research about MX-4 vs Kryonaut and read that they only differ by about a few degrees C. That's why I just went with MX-4. It cost me half of what Kryonaut would cost me.

I read that when applying thermal paste on a GPU, the entire die should be covered because the GPU doesn't have an IHS like a CPU. That's why I kind of went overboard a little this time but I'm pretty sure the whole die is covered since I used as much as last time. When I reapplied recently the coverage was really good.

Well yes, the entire die must be covered. When you removed the heat sink, does it appear that the TIM is squeezed out between the die and the cooler into a very thin even layer? If the heatsink is not flat and flush with the die, this can cause higher temps. How about the rad fan? Is it operating at the correct speed? If possible I'd try a better fan on the rad to see if that helps. The pump is a constant speed 12v unit so it either runs or it does not.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/23 10:29:02 (permalink)
Sounds like the pump is probably degrading/failing..Aftermarket AIOs for graphics cards are available, such as something from NZXT/Kraken and others you could install.

Or, convert it to air cooling..Lots of aftermarket kits around for that too.

Some of that stuff ain't cheap, so I guess it depends on how important that card is to you vs buying another one.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

joeymir
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 732
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/23 11:20:56 (permalink)
I know you said you tinkered by shaking, which I personally never recommend as it can create/move more air bubbles inside the unit. I  have an old Corsair H60 that was super temperamental, and finally by running the system up-side down, and at some odd angle, all the air bubbles worked there way out of wherever they were wreaking havok, and life has been good since on that system(3+ years running). That's on an old Phenom II X4 940, which was pegging 70C at basically idle and shutting down system! Since fixing air bubble issue, even under complete stress that thing doesn't get above 52c. While it's possible your pump is going out, or getting weak, your RPM's in monitoring software such as Precision or Afterburner WOULD reflect it if so. There is plenty of really  great articles about thermal paste application, and at the end of the day, unless you're really globbing it on...........that is NOT your issue. Bad contact from the waterblock to the GPU itself could also be the issue, especially if the PCB has warped from excessive heat.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/23 11:36:13 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Well yes, the entire die must be covered. When you removed the heat sink, does it appear that the TIM is squeezed out between the die and the cooler into a very thin even layer? If the heatsink is not flat and flush with the die, this can cause higher temps. How about the rad fan? Is it operating at the correct speed? If possible I'd try a better fan on the rad to see if that helps. The pump is a constant speed 12v unit so it either runs or it does not.

You previously said a pea sized should be enough but I know from applying paste with that method on my CPU that it leaves a little of the corners uncovered. I thought you meant to say that leaving some bits uncovered wouldn't matter. That's why I mentioned it.

The paste is squeezed out but I'm not sure if it's very thin. I assume it is because I tightened the screws for the heatsink pretty tightly and used the cross tightening method.

The rad fan is spinning but I don't know at which RPM it's spinning. EVGA Precision only shows the shroud fan's RPM. Is it possible for the rad fan to degrade over time?
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/23 12:29:11 (permalink)
Your removed the radiator fans & vacuumed the radiator ... when you cleaned your PC ?

- heatsink needs to be kept parallel & properly tightened .... this maximizes the contact between heatsink & GPU die

- 1 hose warmer than the other .. liquid is circulating

- over time the coolant level could evaporate .. its happened - or - some sort of sediment has formed & impacting the flow

As long as your not using any type of Conductive TIM .... too much is not an issue

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/23 12:30:31 (permalink)
joeymir
I know you said you tinkered by shaking, which I personally never recommend as it can create/move more air bubbles inside the unit. I  have an old Corsair H60 that was super temperamental, and finally by running the system up-side down, and at some odd angle, all the air bubbles worked there way out of wherever they were wreaking havok, and life has been good since on that system(3+ years running). That's on an old Phenom II X4 940, which was pegging 70C at basically idle and shutting down system! Since fixing air bubble issue, even under complete stress that thing doesn't get above 52c. While it's possible your pump is going out, or getting weak, your RPM's in monitoring software such as Precision or Afterburner WOULD reflect it if so. There is plenty of really  great articles about thermal paste application, and at the end of the day, unless you're really globbing it on...........that is NOT your issue. Bad contact from the waterblock to the GPU itself could also be the issue, especially if the PCB has warped from excessive heat.

That's interesting. The overheating began before I shook it so I don't think that's really the cause.

I'm kind of thinking it's the rad fan since there's hot air coming out of the rad but it's not a lot. Almost like the rad can't dissipate enough heat.
MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/23 12:36:41 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Your removed the radiator fans & vacuumed the radiator ... when you cleaned your PC ?

- heatsink needs to be kept parallel & properly tightened .... this maximizes the contact between heatsink & GPU die

- 1 hose warmer than the other .. liquid is circulating

- over time the coolant level could evaporate .. its happened - or - some sort of sediment has formed & impacting the flow

As long as your not using any type of Conductive TIM .... too much is not an issue

Yes, I removed the rad fan then cleaned the rad's and fan's dust.

I applied pressure with my thumb on the water pump and index finger on the backplate when mounting the pump back on.

What gets me is this: the "away from heat" hose gets warm really quickly whenever I put the GPU under stress. The air coming out of the radiator though starts getting hot only until the GPU reaches 70C. It really makes me think it's the rad fan at this point.

I thought the liquid couldn't evaporate since it's in a closed loop.

The TIM I used was Arctic MX-4.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/23 13:06:27 (permalink)
Sometimes the coolant has been know to "escape" right through the hose ... your 980Ti Hybrid might be old enough ... I'm not say - it Is the issue - but making you aware it can happen & impact cooling capacity

Open the side of PC case, does the temp drop - if so, that indicates airflow issue with your PC case fans

More fans should blow in than out (size, design & RPM all matter .. its the Volume of air In vs Out that matters) Positive case pressure cools best

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/23 13:20:51 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Sometimes the coolant has been know to "escape" right through the hose ... your 980Ti Hybrid might be old enough ... I'm not say - it Is the issue - but making you aware it can happen & impact cooling capacity

Open the side of PC case, does the temp drop - if so, that indicates airflow issue with your PC case fans

More fans should blow in than out (size, design & RPM all matter .. its the Volume of air In vs Out that matters) Positive case pressure cools best

Opening the side of the PC didn't change the temp of the GPU. Want to add that nothing's changed in terms of hardware since I bought the card.

I remember when I first got the card my hand would get insanely hot from holding it front of the air that was coming out of the radiator. Now it's just some mildly warm air. I have a second backup rad fan that came with the GPU which I could replace it with but IDK it that'd help. Is it possible to read the rad fan rpm or change it? I only see the shroud fan's rpm and control in Precision software.
post edited by MrModZix - 2020/07/23 14:24:48
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/23 18:21:24 (permalink)
MrModZix
Cool GTX

Opening the side of the PC didn't change the temp of the GPU. Want to add that nothing's changed in terms of hardware since I bought the card.

I remember when I first got the card my hand would get insanely hot from holding it front of the air that was coming out of the radiator. Now it's just some mildly warm air. I have a second backup rad fan that came with the GPU which I could replace it with but IDK it that'd help. Is it possible to read the rad fan rpm or change it? I only see the shroud fan's rpm and control in Precision software.

The rad fan is a single speed fan that is supposed to run at 100% speed all the time. The fan should be spinning around 2000 rpm and should have noticeable fan noise and air flow. If not perhaps your fan is failing and not providing adequate flow. Personally one of the main reasons I switched out the fan to using two in push/pull is because the stock fan was too loud.

MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/24 03:14:25 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
The rad fan is a single speed fan that is supposed to run at 100% speed all the time. The fan should be spinning around 2000 rpm and should have noticeable fan noise and air flow. If not perhaps your fan is failing and not providing adequate flow. Personally one of the main reasons I switched out the fan to using two in push/pull is because the stock fan was too loud.

The rad fan seems to be pushing out air properly so it's not that. Holding my hand further away I can feel the air coming out of the radiator.

I got something interesting that just happened. I tried to shake the radiator to see what would happen. (I previously mentioned I had shaken the radiator before but I had actually shaken the GPU instead.) Upon booting the GPU was idling at ~45C. Starting up a game got it to 90C in a matter of seconds. Quit the game and turned off my PC. Looked it up and saw someone suggesting to shake the GPU to get rid of air bubbles (caused in my case by shaking the radiator) and now I'm back at my previous temps. I think I can conclude that it's not air bubbles causing the high temps but just the water pump being worn out.
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/24 04:23:51 (permalink)
MrModZix
I think I can conclude that it's not air bubbles causing the high temps but just the water pump being worn out.

Me too.

There are cooling solutions out there like I said in Post 5 above.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/24 05:18:52 (permalink)
bob16314
Me too.

There are cooling solutions out there like I said in Post 5 above.

Is it possible for the water pump to be worn out if the "away from GPU" hose is getting really hot? Because that hose is getting really hot under >80% load but the air getting out of the radiator isn't very hot. If I touch the bottom of the radiator (which is the water reservoir I think) on the side of the warm hose, it's very hot.

I might try to mount the radiator as an intake fan, see how that goes.
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/24 05:41:23 (permalink)
MrModZix

I might try to mount the radiator as an intake fan, see how that goes.

You can try it..Sucking/blowing in outside air through the rad usually makes for better cooling, but also usually increases case air temp.

MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/24 06:02:20 (permalink)
I might go crazy here but is it possible for a temp sensor to be faulty instead? The reason I'm asking this is because the shroud fan when put to 100% isn't blowing out very hot air when the temp's at 80+C. This coupled with the fact that one of the radiator hoses and the bottom part of the radiator are getting very hot, makes me think that the water pump is actually working. The radiator part almost hurts when touching it but maybe that's always supposed to be like that.

I remember I forgot to note something very important in the OP: a few of the silver things (transistors/capacitors?) around the GPU die are broken off. Probably happened some time ago when I tried to clean thermal paste. One of the corners of the GPU die also seems to have been chipped a little.

This whole thing is confusing me since I can't find anyone else that's having the same issue as me. 

post edited by MrModZix - 2020/07/24 07:50:06
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/24 09:58:04 (permalink)
MrModZix
I might go crazy here but is it possible for a temp sensor to be faulty instead? The reason I'm asking this is because the shroud fan when put to 100% isn't blowing out very hot air when the temp's at 80+C. This coupled with the fact that one of the radiator hoses and the bottom part of the radiator are getting very hot, makes me think that the water pump is actually working. The radiator part almost hurts when touching it but maybe that's always supposed to be like that.

I remember I forgot to note something very important in the OP: a few of the silver things (transistors/capacitors?) around the GPU die are broken off. Probably happened some time ago when I tried to clean thermal paste. One of the corners of the GPU die also seems to have been chipped a little.

This whole thing is confusing me since I can't find anyone else that's having the same issue as me. 

Loss of power filtering caps (which is what those are) on the GPU could cause higher temps. Unlikely the chips on the die surface are causing a problem. However, you DO apparently have an issue with air entrapment as you DID report.
"I previously mentioned I had shaken the radiator before but I had actually shaken the GPU instead.) Upon booting the GPU was idling at ~45C. Starting up a game got it to 90C in a matter of seconds. Quit the game and turned off my PC. Looked it up and saw someone suggesting to shake the GPU to get rid of air bubbles (caused in my case by shaking the radiator) and now I'm back at my previous temps.

Over time the fluid loss in the AIO does cause issues. It might be 3 years or 10, but they eventually all fail. Your issue isn't that uncommon. I'm on my second AIO and I have a brand new one still in box. The first one failed after about 6 months.

MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/24 10:20:42 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Loss of power filtering caps (which is what those are) on the GPU could cause higher temps. Unlikely the chips on the die surface are causing a problem. However, you DO apparently have an issue with air entrapment as you DID report.
"I previously mentioned I had shaken the radiator before but I had actually shaken the GPU instead.) Upon booting the GPU was idling at ~45C. Starting up a game got it to 90C in a matter of seconds. Quit the game and turned off my PC. Looked it up and saw someone suggesting to shake the GPU to get rid of air bubbles (caused in my case by shaking the radiator) and now I'm back at my previous temps.

Over time the fluid loss in the AIO does cause issues. It might be 3 years or 10, but they eventually all fail. Your issue isn't that uncommon. I'm on my second AIO and I have a brand new one still in box. The first one failed after about 6 months.

I don't think the power filtering caps on their own caused the high temps because they weren't broken off a year ago when I had the same temps.

About the air entrapment: I still use the exact same fan setup as when I first got the GPU. CPU temp under load is ok and case temp is between 35-37C idle. My case is a Corsair 650D.

Do you know if EVGA sells AIOs separately for the 980Ti? If not, what other brand can I use to replace the current setup with? What about converting to air coolers?

Thanks.
xenkw0n
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/25 09:57:23 (permalink)
Evaporation.  Definitely sounds like an evaporation issue considering the age and the fact that the pump is still working.  If the pump had failed you'd have much higher temperatures and be throttling.  Could look into methods of re-filling AIO liquid with distilled water or go the route of an air cooler.  Arctic Cooling makes nice aftermarket coolers but then you're spending $70+ for the high end ones and have to install VRM heatsinks / take apart your card.  Would personally try adding more liquid to the AIO if you're not trying to spend much money or have to dismantle and mod the entire card.

Those temps will only get worse over time before the pump finally fails and/or damages the card.
MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/25 14:54:07 (permalink)
xenkw0n
Evaporation.  Definitely sounds like an evaporation issue considering the age and the fact that the pump is still working.  If the pump had failed you'd have much higher temperatures and be throttling.  Could look into methods of re-filling AIO liquid with distilled water or go the route of an air cooler.  Arctic Cooling makes nice aftermarket coolers but then you're spending $70+ for the high end ones and have to install VRM heatsinks / take apart your card.  Would personally try adding more liquid to the AIO if you're not trying to spend much money or have to dismantle and mod the entire card.

Those temps will only get worse over time before the pump finally fails and/or damages the card.

IDK if this proves the contrary but when I tried shaking the radiator I could hear quite some liquid moving around. Maybe the liquid I heard was just the left over that wasn't evaporated?

I actually noticed the card to get to even higher temps under >80% lately. 84C to 86 with same ambient temps. :/

How would I go about refilling the current AIO? I once read they're closed loop liquid coolers (and the same source said that's actually a reason the liquid couldn't even evaporate but IDK anymore lol).

I'm more tempted to convert to air coolers tbh. The cost wouldn't really concern me that much if it'd mean I could have acceptable temps again.
xenkw0n
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/25 15:36:39 (permalink)
MrModZix
xenkw0n

IDK if this proves the contrary but when I tried shaking the radiator I could hear quite some liquid moving around. Maybe the liquid I heard was just the left over that wasn't evaporated?

I actually noticed the card to get to even higher temps under >80% lately. 84C to 86 with same ambient temps. :/

How would I go about refilling the current AIO? I once read they're closed loop liquid coolers (and the same source said that's actually a reason the liquid couldn't even evaporate but IDK anymore lol).

I'm more tempted to convert to air coolers tbh. The cost wouldn't really concern me that much if it'd mean I could have acceptable temps again.

The liquid wouldn't be completely gone, it's evaporating, gradually escaping, so your temps will continue to get slightly worse and worse until you start throttling.  I'm honestly not sure how to exactly fill them, I know there are people who have done it and I would assume with the large tech community now that there's a few videos out there where people were successful.  I tend to stick away from AIO's because of the potential break-points.

Well if you just wanted to get a top of the line air cooler I would recommend the Arctic Cooling Accelero III.  It should come with VRM and memory heatsinks as well, which you'll need to account for when you take off the hybrid cooler.  Overall it's an amazing cooler and extremely silent, just make sure you run the fans fast enough so the VRM's can stay cooled if you go with this option, they can spin near max speed before you even hear them.  Cool thing about this cooler is it's still compatible with pretty much the last 5 generations of cards from NVidia and AMD, so it's not something that will only work for the 980ti.
post edited by xenkw0n - 2020/07/25 15:38:42
MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/26 01:53:08 (permalink)
I have some good news!

I watched a GamersNexus video on YouTube about a 980Ti Hybrid with possible liquid permeation. The card in question seemed to have just as much liquid as a new card of the same model.
What I learned from the video is that he instead stated loose contact as a reason. I didn't really screw on the screws very tightly for the heatsink so I just went and loosened them and tightened them as much as I could this time and my temps under same loads reached a max of 81C, 5C lower than before.

xenkw0n
The liquid wouldn't be completely gone, it's evaporating, gradually escaping, so your temps will continue to get slightly worse and worse until you start throttling.  I'm honestly not sure how to exactly fill them, I know there are people who have done it and I would assume with the large tech community now that there's a few videos out there where people were successful.  I tend to stick away from AIO's because of the potential break-points.

Well if you just wanted to get a top of the line air cooler I would recommend the Arctic Cooling Accelero III.  It should come with VRM and memory heatsinks as well, which you'll need to account for when you take off the hybrid cooler.  Overall it's an amazing cooler and extremely silent, just make sure you run the fans fast enough so the VRM's can stay cooled if you go with this option, they can spin near max speed before you even hear them.  Cool thing about this cooler is it's still compatible with pretty much the last 5 generations of cards from NVidia and AMD, so it's not something that will only work for the 980ti.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll have to see if I really can't lower my temps any further before I consider going to air coolers. I tried searching up on how to fill up the liquid but couldn't find anything. Do you think it'll be safe to use the card for the time being with the current temps (max 81C) I'm getting?

What about putting on another aftermarket AIO on it? Would that be possible? 

post edited by MrModZix - 2020/07/26 14:11:59
MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/27 03:45:55 (permalink)
xenkw0n

Quoting you for a second time to be sure because I quoted you in my previous post's edit and I'm not sure you were notified that way.

Edit so I don't spam the thread with replies: I've taken off the water pump to take a look at the thermal paste. It seems that the paste hasn't covered the GPU die completely. It's looked like this every time I took off the pump to reapply thermal paste on the GPU. I've uploaded the image to imgur since I couldn't upload it via here. Hope this isn't a problem: http://imgur.com/gallery/CGuRDSJ

I'm going to try the "spread out" method, where a very little amount of paste is used and spread out very thin, for the first time.

Second edit:

Solved! 

As described in my previous edit, I took off the pump to take a look at the paste and decided to reapply using another method than before. I used my index finger for this which I cleaned with alcohol and made sure no dust particles were on it. First I cleaned off the old thermal paste and did my best to clean up the paste spilled around the die. Here's a picture of the end result: https://imgur.com/gallery/FkHQGw3. Some of the broken off capacitors can be seen too.

Getting a max temp of 68C now under loads >80%! Obviously not what I had when I first had the card but much better than what I was getting before. I realize it's still running pretty hot for a Hybrid card but I'm happy with it. I had similar temps a year after purchasing my card anyway. Temps fluctuate between 66-68C when playing demanding games now compared to 80-86C I had before. The ticking noise which I described in my OP is completely gone now too.

Poor thermal paste application was to blame in my case. I want to thank everyone for their help!

Edit by Cool GTX - embedded photos [ Always right click a photo on host site & select "copy image location"]
post edited by Cool GTX - 2020/07/27 11:42:03
joeymir
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 732
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/27 09:43:09 (permalink)
Awesome! Glad you got it figured out 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/27 11:06:47 (permalink)
joeymir
Awesome! Glad you got it figured out 

Seems the map I was testing on wasn't very demanding and I wasn't looking too good: >90% load I'm getting a max temp of 81C now. Hovering between 76-80C most of the time on the bigger maps which is still an improvement. So redoing the thermal paste helped a bit but certainly not as much as I'd hoped. I'll remove the "solved" tag from the title because I didn't really lower the temps by that much. Either way I'm still happy I can use the card. I read up some extreme cases where the card idles at 90C. 
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/27 11:22:31 (permalink)
If you wanna do it up like a boss, use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal TIM instead of conventional thermal paste..Then you'll most likely be overwhelmed by massive quantities of joy like I was at the dramatic decrease in temp that dropped 20C under load.

Conductonaut has 73 W/mk thermal conductivity compared to conventional paste that might have 8-12.

I put a couple coats of precautionary clear fingernail polish around the GPU chip area as insulation where those little metal doodads are.

Food for thought.

MrModZix
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/27 11:45:12 (permalink)
bob16314
If you wanna do it up like a boss, use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal TIM instead of conventional thermal paste..Then you'll most likely be overwhelmed by massive quantities of joy like I was at the dramatic decrease in temp that dropped 20C under load.

Conductonaut has 73 W/mk thermal conductivity compared to conventional paste that might have 8-12.

I put a couple coats of precautionary clear fingernail polish around the GPU chip area as insulation where those little metal doodads are.

Food for thought.

Woah. A decrease of 20C is pretty substantial. I've read up on it and some people say it's risky while others say it's perfectly fine if applied to the die only. May I ask what temps you were getting on your GPU before and after liquid metal paste?

I think I'll stay with the setup I have atm. I'm not experiencing any throttling while still overclocking. I'll have to see how the temps turn out after a while I guess.

Do you think it'll really make a difference now if I had temps of 50-55C with the pre-applied thermal paste when I first got the card? What about maintenance? Does it dry up over time like regular thermal paste or does it become solid metal in time or something so it can't be cleaned off? I have no knowledge about it, that's why I'm asking. :P
post edited by MrModZix - 2020/07/27 11:49:23
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid getting up to 84C. Fault water pump? 2020/07/27 11:52:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MrModZix 2020/07/28 11:35:09
Getting air out of AIO and keeping it out of the pump to prevent cavitation - which all but stops circulation of the coolant:

1) PC on its side, before mounting radiator - With hoses to radiator on Bottom & above the GPU - lightly tap and jiggle the PC to help air bubbles move into the top of the Radiator --> additionally you could [ PC on its side, before mounting radiator - With hoses to radiator on Bottom & above the GPU] - start the PC for a a couple of minutes, let it idle - then shut down - connect radiator & fan to PC case

2) [I'd disconnect mechanical hard drives First, to remove the potential of damage] --> With PC running, tip the PC to work the air out of the pump.  [Hint, the air will always try to rise]  I do this all the time when building a custom loop

If the coolant level is either blocked by a build up of "crud" or the level it too low for proper circulation inside of the radiator the pump can cavitate, as not enough coolant returns fast enough to the pump.  this could explain the hot hose coming from the GPU ... if the radiator is not getting warm near the top of the radiator .. the the fluid is not circulating like it should

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile