So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 19
Author
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 18:36:36 (permalink)
wickedwayne
brahmzy
It's not a coincidence - the FTWs are screwed cards.

Yep, that much is clear. Some users only able to obtain a working card after 2 or more RMA's and most users able to get the issue resolved by underclocking it, makes this crystal clear to me. 

But of course it's probably the CPU/RAM/PSU/USERFAULT/EVERYTHINGELSE. Laughable.

Every time when someone sell us premium cards and they are not stable on fabric clock but work on lower customers should change brand instantly.
EVGA should change testing methods of cards, last 2 years or little more many time they fail completely with huge number of premium cards. 
And when they fail that mean you will pay 200$ more than reference and she will be worse than reference. 
I can tell you what is issue. Some mistake during build custom PCB, because that made EVGA not reference PCB as NVIDIA with higher clock and bad silicon. 
Cards will not work if they set 150MHz higher clock just like that if they don't have good chips.

post edited by Vlada011 - 2015/06/09 18:41:10

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

jgonz
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 331
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 19:09:59 (permalink)
DnBrn
jgonz
stalinx20
NordicJedi
 It's pretty clear that members are talking about their experiences with the GTX 980 FTW - for better or for worse - and any discussion over whether somebody is doing things correctly should only occur in a constructive manner, and not in a generalized suggestion that the members in this thread ought to have their PC's examined at a Geek Squad.

Carry on.

Never take your PC to Geek Squad, unless you want your PC to be a bigger brick than what it already was. lol

Wow I am really concerned with the lack of a real response from EVGA on the 980FTW issues. Down clocking a FTW card should never be a solution. Why bother paying a premium for a factory overclock that is not stable. 980Ti step ups are nice (if you had any in stock). I was just thinking of upgrading my 680s to something new and shiny. But not with this current generation. "Titan X with out thermal pads" and now 980FTWs. So come on EVGA step your game up, this is un acceptable.

A Concerned Customer

As far as I can tell they don't seem to know what the issue is.  What would you suggest they do?  A Recall?  What about all the people the cards seem to work fine for?  This isn't to say I don't agree, because I do.  There should be more information from them on what's going on with the cards 100%.

My suggestions:

1. RMA
2. If after RMA problem still exist offer a Refund, how complicated is that.

Step up to 980Ti is wonderful if you can wait for a card. But there are guys out there on their 3rd RMA with this card. Some don't have the luxury of waiting for stock or cross shipping replacements every other week.

I want to defend EVGA as I have had nothing but good experience with every purchase but this to me screams "RED FLAG" and I am no longer eager to upgrade.

DnBrn
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 19:34:13 (permalink)
jgonz
DnBrn
jgonz
stalinx20
NordicJedi
 It's pretty clear that members are talking about their experiences with the GTX 980 FTW - for better or for worse - and any discussion over whether somebody is doing things correctly should only occur in a constructive manner, and not in a generalized suggestion that the members in this thread ought to have their PC's examined at a Geek Squad.

Carry on.

Never take your PC to Geek Squad, unless you want your PC to be a bigger brick than what it already was. lol

Wow I am really concerned with the lack of a real response from EVGA on the 980FTW issues. Down clocking a FTW card should never be a solution. Why bother paying a premium for a factory overclock that is not stable. 980Ti step ups are nice (if you had any in stock). I was just thinking of upgrading my 680s to something new and shiny. But not with this current generation. "Titan X with out thermal pads" and now 980FTWs. So come on EVGA step your game up, this is un acceptable.

A Concerned Customer

As far as I can tell they don't seem to know what the issue is.  What would you suggest they do?  A Recall?  What about all the people the cards seem to work fine for?  This isn't to say I don't agree, because I do.  There should be more information from them on what's going on with the cards 100%.

My suggestions:

1. RMA

Step up to 980Ti is wonderful if you can wait for a card. But there are guys out there on their 3rd RMA with this card. Some don't have the luxury of waiting for stock or cross shipping replacements every other week.

I want to defend EVGA as I have had nothing but good experience with every purchase but this to me screams "RED FLAG" and I am no longer eager to upgrade.

It's about as complicated as one of them coming to the forum and talking about the problem.  That isn't happening either.  I've had good discussions with EVGA, Nvidia and a game developer.  EVGA says ultimately said RMA, but forums tell me that it will take multiple RMAs to get one that doesn't crash.  Nvidia says it's likely not the card at all, blamed other hardware malfunctions.  The game developer said it seems to be a combination of build quality variations and how some games cause the cards voltages to fluctuate in a way that the card inevitably doesn't like, making the over clock unstable.

It does seem clear that EVGA and the Game Developer agree that it's the card.  Where the latter lends more to the "very bad card" idea, for the previous, it's just standard practices.  Makes me wonder if RMAs aren't just downclocked and sent off.

It is concerning, but other than not buying from them in the future, how do we get them to say or do something about it?  They are offering as much support as they are obligated to do already.
jgonz
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 331
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 19:40:30 (permalink)
DnBrn
jgonz
DnBrn
jgonz
stalinx20
NordicJedi

Carry on.

A Concerned Customer

My suggestions:

1. RMA

It's about as complicated as one of them coming to the forum and talking about the problem.  That isn't happening either.  I've had good discussions with EVGA, Nvidia and a game developer.  EVGA says ultimately said RMA, but forums tell me that it will take multiple RMAs to get one that doesn't crash.  Nvidia says it's likely not the card at all, blamed other hardware malfunctions.  The game developer said it seems to be a combination of build quality variations and how some games cause the cards voltages to fluctuate in a way that the card inevitably doesn't like, making the over clock unstable.

It does seem clear that EVGA and the Game Developer agree that it's the card.  Where the latter lends more to the "very bad card" idea, for the previous, it's just standard practices.  Makes me wonder if RMAs aren't just downclocked and sent off.

It is concerning, but other than not buying from them in the future, how do we get them to say or do something about it?  They are offering as much support as they are obligated to do already.

It is concerning indeed. I just feel obligated to continue this discussion so that what ever is going on does not become the norm. 

wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 20:21:43 (permalink)
Sadly, there is not going to be any response to this. No company i know of would willingly confirm a failure as this on their part, not until lives are at stake (car manufacturer for example). 

As this isn't such as grave an issue, there will be no admission of anything from EVGA. What bothers me though is that they even refuse the option to allow 980FTW owners to effectively downgrade to an SC version (reference board) with an additional back plate as an added bonus for coping with that solution via RMA (price should be about the same), which would cost them nothing.

I will be honest. From everything i have read, what ultimately made me go with EVGA this time (awesome customer support/step up) i would have expected such an option.

Now i know better. I am still running my 980FTW massively underclocked (reference stock values) because i even started to get issues while only mildly underclocking (-105). 

Support offered RMA on the two support tickets i opened but as step up is still an option for me, i decided against it because i don't want to send (and pay) packages back and forth until i am able to get the 980ti. 

I would prefer that people with issues on their card get pushed to the top of the line but i realize this would be massively unfair to anyone who stayed awake/prepared to be ready for the time step up was available.

All i know is that after this, my first EVGA purchase, i am pretty sure it will in all likelihood be the last. The 980Ti may be really good but seeing as its an reference board with only ACX 2.0+ added there is nothing that could convince me otherwise.

Probably MSI next time again, only had one problem with them while owning 4 of their cards and that issue could be resolved by updating the bios. 

Step up is a nice option but only a fluke limited by the 90 day to be able to apply for it. I pretty much only bought the 980FTW because i expected to be able to step up (release rumors etc.). I could have simply waited for the 980Ti, same difference less problems.

Jshiver90
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 20:35:23 (permalink)
wickedwayne
Sadly, there is not going to be any response to this. No company i know of would willingly confirm a failure as this on their part, not until lives are at stake (car manufacturer for example). 

As this isn't such as grave an issue, there will be no admission of anything from EVGA. What bothers me though is that they even refuse the option to allow 980FTW owners to effectively downgrade to an SC version (reference board) with an additional back plate as an added bonus for coping with that solution via RMA (price should be about the same), which would cost them nothing.

I will be honest. From everything i have read, what ultimately made me go with EVGA this time (awesome customer support/step up) i would have expected such an option.

Now i know better. I am still running my 980FTW massively underclocked (reference stock values) because i even started to get issues while only mildly underclocking (-105). 

Support offered RMA on the two support tickets i opened but as step up is still an option for me, i decided against it because i don't want to send (and pay) packages back and forth until i am able to get the 980ti. 

I would prefer that people with issues on their card get pushed to the top of the line but i realize this would be massively unfair to anyone who stayed awake/prepared to be ready for the time step up was available.

All i know is that after this, my first EVGA purchase, i am pretty sure it will in all likelihood be the last. The 980Ti may be really good but seeing as its an reference board with only ACX 2.0+ added there is nothing that could convince me otherwise.

Probably MSI next time again, only had one problem with them while owning 4 of their cards and that issue could be resolved by updating the bios. 

Step up is a nice option but only a fluke limited by the 90 day to be able to apply for it. I pretty much only bought the 980FTW because i expected to be able to step up (release rumors etc.). I could have simply waited for the 980Ti, same difference less problems.

Well, I've owned two EVGA cards so far, and my previous one also had to be RMA'd (once I get the 980ti, I will have gone through 5 GPUs for 2 PC builds). Luckily, EVGA is pretty thorough with their support, and while they may not immediately offer an RMA, it's mostly in your best interest for them to actually diagnose your problem to determine if it is or isn't your GPU. However, with that said the last two purchases I've made with EVGA haven't worked as advertised; with my current situation of having a $600 paperweight with no solution other than to wait several weeks and pay an additional $100+ ... I'm not likely to make another attempt with EVGA.

I'd still say EVGA has great support, and overall people seem to be happy with them; even the posters here in this forum are very helpful, thankfully. It's just unfortunate that they haven't offered another solution to the problem for people who are having this issue. I certainly don't expect to be moved to the front of the step-up line, but I also don't expect to be told I have no other options. I really hate having to go through my credit card company to resolve the issue and I won't; however, I could see why other people might choose to do so.
post edited by Jshiver90 - 2015/06/09 20:39:33
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 21:02:13 (permalink)
Jshiver90
wickedwayne

Well, I've owned two EVGA cards so far, and my previous one also had to be RMA'd (once I get the 980ti, I will have gone through 5 GPUs for 2 PC builds). Luckily, EVGA is pretty thorough with their support, and while they may not immediately offer an RMA, it's mostly in your best interest for them to actually diagnose your problem to determine if it is or isn't your GPU. However, with that said the last two purchases I've made with EVGA haven't worked as advertised; with my current situation of having a $600 paperweight with no solution other than to wait several weeks and pay an additional $100+ ... I'm not likely to make another attempt with EVGA.

I'd still say EVGA has great support, and overall people seem to be happy with them; even the posters here in this forum are very helpful, thankfully. It's just unfortunate that they haven't offered another solution to the problem for people who are having this issue. I certainly don't expect to be moved to the front of the step-up line, but I also don't expect to be told I have no other options. I really hate having to go through my credit card company to resolve the issue and I won't; however, I could see why other people might choose to do so.

Just be glad once you get rid of that FTW, and you do get that 980ti in your hands, you best be prepped to rock out.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 21:13:30 (permalink)
stalinx20
Jshiver90
wickedwayne

Just be glad once you get rid of that FTW, and you do get that 980ti in your hands, you best be prepped to rock out.

I sincerely hope so. First, i have to get to step 2 though. :X
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 21:17:48 (permalink)
wickedwayne
stalinx20
Jshiver90
wickedwayne

It is unfortunate to say, but, at a realistic standpoint, AND for you to still enjoy whatever it is you do on your PC, just downclock the card until EVGA sends you a notice they are ready for you to mail your card in. That's all there is left in this game. If they want to call it that. I think we all have learned to not buy the FTW series until further notice, and to just by sc or reference models, and overclock them ourselves.
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/09 21:20:37

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 21:22:37 (permalink)
stalinx20
wickedwayne
stalinx20
Jshiver90
wickedwayne

It is unfortunate to say, but, at a realistic standpoint, AND for you to still enjoy whatever it is you do on your PC, just downclock the card until EVGA sends you a notice they are ready for you to mail your card in. That's all there is left in this game. If they want to call it that.

I know. It's exactly the situation i am in now. Waiting for step up while running the card at -153 core -200 mem. Sure hope to get to step up sooner rather than later but if my luck is anything to go by, it will probably take at least another 2-3 weeks.
DnBrn
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 23:51:05 (permalink)
I never thought when I paid 580 bucks there would be so many issues and widespread.  I'm actually one of the more lucky ones I guess, only having to under clock by -51mhz for 1 game.  When I first starting having problems I couldn't find anyone else with the problem... crazy how it's so visible a month later and around the time the Ti came out.  I really lucked out noticing the Step Up in time I guess.  Too bad it costs more for something potentially more stable...  I mean I can only hope right.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 03:07:56 (permalink)
I guess it shows that how people thought that if you were to buy a GPU that was overclocked by the manufaturer themselves, you had a "guarantee" that it was going to work since you're paying more to have the GPU overclocked in the first place...wrong. Might have been better off buying the reference model, and overclocking it yourselves (it's easy), and then if you didnt have stable clocks, you just go right back to default settings.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 03:14:07 (permalink)
People you talk like cards are space ship and they don't know what is issue, what can be,...
Graphic processors build in are not properly tested... Same situation is when someone finish 5 tests and say my graphic card is stable on 1500MHz, but when tomorrow start PC he is not stable in other applications, or when install new graphic driver and she force GPU usage 2% better and she crash... Can't resist. 
It's same as last year with GHz Edition. 
I think that EVGA should serious to think to change testing methods and to reduce seriously number of overclocked cards.
Do you recognize that difference in price for EVGA cards for same models are up to 300$. Hey 300$ for same chip, Jesus...
And someone who want to play games buy that we plan to OC only processor because GPU is fabric overclocked and he get unstable card.
GTX980 FTW is only card except Classified build by EVGA, everything other NVIDIA made for you, they install BIOS with higher clock.
...Card crash on fabric clock but on lower work... hmm What can be problem...? They ignore to recognize issue...Something is going one...
Things are so simple that every gamers could simulate situation in own house right now if OC card more than chip can resist.

post edited by Vlada011 - 2015/06/10 03:21:58

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3

stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 03:19:44 (permalink)
Vlada011
People you talk like cards are space ship and they don't know what is issue, what can be,...
Graphic processors build in are not properly tested... Same situation is when someone finish 5 tests and say my graphic card is stable on 1500MHz, but when tomorrow start PC he is not stable in other applications, or when install new graphic driver and she force GPU usage 2% better and she crash... Can't resist. 

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. When i put down roughly $600 for a GPU, I expect it to act just like that, a spaceship with lazers coming out of it, and turning into mini transformer... Many people can't, or don't know how to overclock, which is why they put the extra money in having the manufacturer do it for them (I would assume that's why they're getting it. I dont know what other reason they would have other than that.) only to see the GPU not stable for them upon purchase, so they are having to downclock the card (what was the point of buying the FTW again...?) to make the GPU stable so they can run their apps. Now I'm sitting here scratching my head after all that, seeing now they have nothing more than reference model, money wasted, on the FTW.
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/10 03:28:21

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 03:32:54 (permalink)
I only think how much shipping of RMA cost them... Because EVGA not use cheapest shipping options.
Everything could prevent with better testing.
There are small chance that something is wrong with PCB or VRM but it's very small chance for that and if card work on lower clock than situation is clear.
My advice for people is to start process of step-up on reference 980Ti if someone bought card before 1 - 2 - 3 months (90 days) other to RMA card and to ask Superclocked version. They should get to choose SC reference or SC ACX 2.0. Their price on beginning are very similar and you will not lose nothing.
post edited by Vlada011 - 2015/06/10 03:37:44

stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 03:37:50 (permalink)
Vlada011
I only think how much shipping of RMA cost them... Because EVGA not use cheapest shipping options.
There are small chance that something is wrong with PCB or VRM but it's very small chance for that and if card work on lower clock than situation is clear.

Exactly, now they have to RMA 4x, or more, all because the manufacturer (EVGA) will not authorize them to receive an SC or reference model. So, after $$ spent on multiple shipping/RMA (That couldn't have been cheap), the only explanation EVGA has to tell them is they need to go with the step-up and get the 980ti. I would be very disapointed in hearing that.
No, you're supposed to go out of your way and satisfy the customer. The decision to tell the customer they need to put down another $150 for step-up (is that what it costs?) (not to mention the amount of money they spent on shipping the RMAs) is not a justifiable answer, in my eyes. I understand the 980ti is "better", but shouldn't be abused to cop out of the situation. "We are sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with the FTW series. Perhaps you would be better off to just go with the 980ti? Better card, just give us $150+ and we can send you this card instead." Nice.

(I hope they don't send me a cheap step-up 980 after writing that...lol)
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/10 03:51:48

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 03:52:57 (permalink)
That's worse situation, you buy some card, happy, finally she arrive, you loved in that architecture and they sold you one of their unstable samples and while other people enjoy you look them. And card cost up to 300$ more. OK someone pay 100$ more than reference, some 250$, someone 200, but it's point that they get worse than reference. 

Stephenk291
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1023
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 03:54:37 (permalink)
stalinx20
Vlada011

Exactly, now they have to RMA 4x, or more, all because the manufacturer (EVGA) will not authorize them to receive an SC or reference model. So, after $$ spent on multiple shipping/RMA (That couldn't have been cheap), the only explanation EVGA has to tell them is they need to go with the step-up and get the 980ti. I would be very disapointed in hearing that.
No, you're supposed to go out of your way and satisfy the customer. The decision to tell the customer they need to put down another $150 for step-up (is that what it costs?) (not to mention the amount of money they spent on shipping the RMAs) is not a justifiable answer, in my eyes. I understand the 980ti is "better", but shouldn't be abused to cop out of the situation.

As I said in the other thread, EVGA telling people to step-up to ''resolve'' the problem is exactly that and I'm some what surprised there hasn't been a bigger EVGA response to some of these threads outside of typical responses that are playing it safe.  I kept at it to get my refund offered to me and this was after 4 cards and a few weeks of back and forth troubleshooting, shipping, testing, replacing, etc. Heck I even replaced my displayport cables and RMA'd my monitor at cost to me on shipping ($70) and still nothing. You have to press the issue and tell them you're not going to settle for that. Even if EVGA has a shipping contract with UPS I'm certain their still paying probably $10 to ship each of these RMA's out and after awhile you'd think just giving someone a refund or the opportunity to step-down to a different card would be more optimal. Getting a case resolved and closed should be the priority..not dragging something out trying to save face hoping someone will get a stable card after a few tries.

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

Associates Code E96KV2QZWOXVRZM
AlexisRO
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1920
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 06:24:10 (permalink)
^ This is exactly what happend with the initial x79 boards (sli, ftw, classified). "we can't fix the initial problem, just pay more to get a working product (dark)"

System: 7820X - MSI X299 Carbon AC - G.Skill 32Gb TridentZ 3200 - EVGA 1080 Ti - 500 Gb Samsung 970 EVO , 2Tb Crucial MX500, 2Tb, 3Tb, 4Tb Seagate - Seasonic 1000W Prime - Creative Sound Blaster Z - Windows 10 Pro 64 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Edifier S530D - Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p)

Watercooling loop: Heatkiller CPU - EK 1080 Ti - Swiftech MCP 655 with EK X-Top v2 - XSPC reservoir - Alphacool 480 x2

stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 06:46:22 (permalink)
AlexisRO
^ This is exactly what happend with the initial x79 boards (sli, ftw, classified). "we can't fix the initial problem, just pay more to get a working product (dark)"

I may be tempted to lean way to an MSI system for next assembly, just to give an opportunity. Who knows...

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Methodical2
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 562
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 08:45:01 (permalink)
jgonz
DnBrn
jgonz
stalinx20
NordicJedi

Carry on.

A Concerned Customer

My suggestions:

1. RMA

I'm one of those on the 3rd card.  I am glad I had 5 days remaining to join the step up club because at this point I will take a beating if I sold the card outright (saw that someone sold theirs for $420 - not sure if that included fees).  I figure I will lose $100 vs $200+ on the step up program.  All I want is the reference card (had great service from the reference 680s) and no SC or SSC or whatever.  I am gun shy now.

post edited by Methodical2 - 2015/06/10 08:59:57

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

BlackE
Case:  Caselab Magnum STH10
MB:  Asus X670E Hero
CPU:  Ryzen 9 7950x (EK-Quantum Vector²)
GPU:  Asus 4090 TUF OC (EK-Quantum Vector²)
Memory:  G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 (6000 @64gb)
Storage:  WD M.2 NVMe 2TB (OS), 2x4TB (Photography), 1TB (Games)
Fan Controllers: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT & Octo
PSU:  EVGA 1200 P2
Monitor:  LG 48" UltraGear OLED 4k

Methodical2
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 562
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 09:02:54 (permalink)
Stephenk291
stalinx20
Vlada011

No, you're supposed to go out of your way and satisfy the customer. The decision to tell the customer they need to put down another $150 for step-up (is that what it costs?) (not to mention the amount of money they spent on shipping the RMAs) is not a justifiable answer, in my eyes. I understand the 980ti is "better", but shouldn't be abused to cop out of the situation.

As I said in the other thread, EVGA telling people to step-up to ''resolve'' the problem is exactly that and I'm some what surprised there hasn't been a bigger EVGA response to some of these threads outside of typical responses that are playing it safe.  I kept at it to get my refund offered to me and this was after 4 cards and a few weeks of back and forth troubleshooting, shipping, testing, replacing, etc. Heck I even replaced my displayport cables and RMA'd my monitor at cost to me on shipping ($70) and still nothing. You have to press the issue and tell them you're not going to settle for that. Even if EVGA has a shipping contract with UPS I'm certain their still paying probably $10 to ship each of these RMA's out and after awhile you'd think just giving someone a refund or the opportunity to step-down to a different card would be more optimal. Getting a case resolved and closed should be the priority..not dragging something out trying to save face hoping someone will get a stable card after a few tries.

I'm one of those that they refused to refund or down grade and I am on my 3rd card now.  Fortunately I still had time to step up.  I am not crazily thrilled about it, but I would've purchase the 980ti anyway. 

If I were outside the step up window and had a problem with the 3rd card and got no satisfaction, I'd have no problem contacting MasterCard at all.  That is why I use my CC - for recourse.

I will give any company a chance to square things, so hopefully there are no problems with the Ti.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

BlackE
Case:  Caselab Magnum STH10
MB:  Asus X670E Hero
CPU:  Ryzen 9 7950x (EK-Quantum Vector²)
GPU:  Asus 4090 TUF OC (EK-Quantum Vector²)
Memory:  G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 (6000 @64gb)
Storage:  WD M.2 NVMe 2TB (OS), 2x4TB (Photography), 1TB (Games)
Fan Controllers: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT & Octo
PSU:  EVGA 1200 P2
Monitor:  LG 48" UltraGear OLED 4k

Rigbuilder12
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 119
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 09:12:23 (permalink)
I've installed several of the Evga 970 GTX FTW cards in systems, no problems with any of the 3 I installed and tested. Must just be the 980 GTX FTWs. I've always bought the FTW cards historically because they're great performers, it's too bad Evga doesn't pay better attention to what's happening with this card. Lately it seems Evga only cares about sales.
post edited by Rigbuilder12 - 2015/06/10 09:14:26
jerger
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 09:55:35 (permalink)
mine worked great......:)
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 11:34:44 (permalink)
jerger
mine worked great......:)

The ratio is like 1:20. for 1 good FTW, the are 19 that were flawed. Maybe I'm off, but i know it's way too many people that have problems. You're like the only soul that has confirmed their card works. Shocker....

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
jerger
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 11:46:47 (permalink)
And i used it for only 3 weeks.....i was actually kinda mad i didnt order the acx ti instead i opted for the stock cooler and its running semi hot at 82....I do recall that it would hardly overclock without black screen of death.  I also remember getting the black screen on orcs must die2 at the stock clock.  But I was also overclocking my 4770k although hardly... weird....it seems i can clock this 980ti sc +200 no issues.....maybe the acx was put on chips that needed to run at 73c to work at normal clock rates.......82 seems to be the stock temp nvidia for the ti after reading reviews....
DnBrn
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/10 13:59:41 (permalink)
Well, if I've learned anything, it's don't pay for the stock overclock models.  Pretty much spot on, I assumed that a stock overclock would be stable and that they had rigorously tested it.  It is so odd though that it's not outright unstable, it's just in certain games.  Boosts to 1455mhz in 3d mark and doesn't crash, but crashes in Elite Dangerous.  Runs Wither 3 on Ultra with no crash, but crashes in The Repopulation.  This is why Nvidia themselves say it's not the card but when game developers then blame the card and EVGA wants to do an RMA, what are you supposed to think?  I don't know, I'm not a GPU tech or guru, so I'd expect EVGA to know and fix it.  Instead we just RMA RMA RMA until one finally works or pay more for a different card.  I'm sorry but I didn't pay all that money for a refurb within 3 months of purchase and I hate that I have to now step up for an additional cost.  Doesn't seem I have a choice though, I've really thought about it, and it seems like it's just the best course of action to upgrade in order to avoid further instability while I have the opportunity.

Never again.  I'll have to keep an eye on how future products go now, may have to switch brands if it continues to work like this.  I hope this is just a fluke and they made a mistake this time since I've been all about EVGA for years.
digitalrelic
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/11 08:01:41 (permalink)
I'm able to run my 2 980 FTW's in SLI with a 24/7 overclock @ 1500mhz/8000mhz... No issues after playing hours and hours of The Witcher 3, Metro Redux, Sleeping Dogs, Crysis 3, Ryse, Assassin's Creed Unity, etc.. So it's definitely not a "systematic issue" as some have said.  Maybe I'm just lucky.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/11 08:07:00 (permalink)
DnBrn
Well, if I've learned anything, it's don't pay for the stock overclock models.  Pretty much spot on, I assumed that a stock overclock would be stable and that they had rigorously tested it.  It is so odd though that it's not outright unstable, it's just in certain games.  Boosts to 1455mhz in 3d mark and doesn't crash, but crashes in Elite Dangerous.  Runs Wither 3 on Ultra with no crash, but crashes in The Repopulation.  This is why Nvidia themselves say it's not the card but when game developers then blame the card and EVGA wants to do an RMA, what are you supposed to think?  I don't know, I'm not a GPU tech or guru, so I'd expect EVGA to know and fix it.  Instead we just RMA RMA RMA until one finally works or pay more for a different card.  I'm sorry but I didn't pay all that money for a refurb within 3 months of purchase and I hate that I have to now step up for an additional cost.  Doesn't seem I have a choice though, I've really thought about it, and it seems like it's just the best course of action to upgrade in order to avoid further instability while I have the opportunity.

Never again.  I'll have to keep an eye on how future products go now, may have to switch brands if it continues to work like this.  I hope this is just a fluke and they made a mistake this time since I've been all about EVGA for years.

You're better off just buying reference models and overclocking yourselves. The good part about this is, if your overclock doesn't work, at least you can go back to reference clocks, and start over. You can't start over on an already overclocked card by the manufacturer, you're stuck.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Samsander
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/11 09:06:41 (permalink)
stalinx20
DnBrn

You're better off just buying reference models and overclocking yourselves. The good part about this is, if your overclock doesn't work, at least you can go back to reference clocks, and start over. You can't start over on an already overclocked card by the manufacturer, you're stuck.

Why not? You can downclock as easily as you can overclock.

Sure it sucks to see the -100 or -200 MHz but you can do it if you need to.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 19
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile