So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 19
Author
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/06 09:33:28 (permalink)
Samsander
bcavnaugh
bsmegreg
I would assume that if someone says that their old card works and their new one doesn't, that they probably know how to install it properly. I just think that there's a problem with the card, like maybe a bad batch.

Maybe, but I have had users refuse to test with two PCIe Power Cables so what do you do then.
I have even see users using 4-Pin Molex connectors and expect their cards to work with 180 and 280 Watt Power Supplies.
All they come back with is this card is a piece of garbage. I even had one user try and force the card into an old ISA Slot and blamed the card for breaking the slot on his motherboard. So not all users can install a new video card. Sometimes I think users post made up stuff only to troll.

Let me stop you right there.
I tested the FTW card with different PSU's modular and non modular, with one PCIe cable split and with two PCIe cables.
Two FTW cards failed with black screens in all those combinations while SC and Reference cards showed no issues at all.

OK you have stopped me right here. No more posting.
My reference was not even to you so that you know.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/06/06 09:36:35

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/06 09:43:09 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
bsmegreg
I would assume that if someone says that their old card works and their new one doesn't, that they probably know how to install it properly. I just think that there's a problem with the card, like maybe a bad batch.

Maybe, but I have had users refuse to test with two PCIe Power Cables so what do you do then.
I have even see users using 4-Pin Molex connectors and expect their cards to work with 180 and 280 Watt Power Supplies.
All they come back with is this card is a piece of garbage. I even had one user try and force the card into an old ISA Slot and blamed the card for breaking the slot on his motherboard. So not all users can install a new video card. Sometimes I think users post made up stuff only to troll.

Ya, i agree with most of what you're saying. I believe there are more people out there that can assemble a PC, but are not able to fix it, than those that can assemble a PC and fix the problems that occure with it. However, there are way too many reports arising related to the FTW. It can't be a coincidence.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
brahmzy
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/06 10:25:14 (permalink)
It's not a coincidence - the FTWs are screwed cards.
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/06 13:30:22 (permalink)
brahmzy
It's not a coincidence - the FTWs are screwed cards.

Yep, that much is clear. Some users only able to obtain a working card after 2 or more RMA's and most users able to get the issue resolved by underclocking it, makes this crystal clear to me. 

But of course it's probably the CPU/RAM/PSU/USERFAULT/EVERYTHINGELSE. Laughable.
EddieH
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 2016
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/06 16:08:55 (permalink)
BigBearSmokey
Just got back the RMA'd Gtx 980 FTW Card. Nothing has changed, I still get the black screen after a few minutes in GW2. Changed Physx in control panel to CPU instead of GPU and it was stable. Used EVGA Precision X and down clocked -100 mhz and it was stable. Did a diagnostics check on my PC, everything was 100 percent fine, did a RAM test and again everything was fine. Why is this GTX 980 FTW not stable at stock speeds in my machine? Everything is about 2 months old, my 290x Sli, 280x and gtx 970 sc works fine without a hitch but this FTW card seems to carry a very bad curse with it ("For the Win" huh, we sure won alright.)

CPU: i5 4690K
MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro
PSU: 850 Watt Bronze Label
RAM: 8GB Corsair
SSD: Samsung EVO Pro

Hello BigBearSmokey,
I am sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with your replacement GTX 980 FTW.  One suggestions would be to try testing the replacement graphics card in a completely different system, to see if the issue continues.  I understand that you have tested multiple other graphics cards, but they have all been in the same system.  Should you still experience the same issues,  then I would recommend contacting our 24/7 Technical Support team in order to try and assist you with figuring out the root cause of the issues you are experiencing. 

wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/06 16:50:11 (permalink)
djmorgan
bcavnaugh

You are unfortunately wasting your bandwidth on this LIMITED bunch of complainers, I too have tried to suggest it maybe a combination of elements, all I got was that not all users post the specs of their rigs, you would think that somebody really interested to prove a point would find out all the specs of those having issues by email or PM, but NO! easier just to bag the product. And the poster, showing a high degree of immaturity 

You could have asked those that complain the most here, are the complaints echoed in other forums by OTHER users, Google it and you will find the answer is NO! 

So like you I don't respond anymore, I don't need to as I have a perfectly fantastic GTX 980 FTW, maybe those having an issue have Karma at work 

David.

I knew the spec's of maybe 4 users with this issue, all different, therefore no correlation to the source of this issue except everyone had a 980FTW. Gee, i wonder what the issue is here. Probably not the GPU. The only thing immature here is STILL not acknowledging that these cards have an issue even though You posted in most of them where fact's are stated that something is fishy.

Examples like: VRM's not being cooled on the FTW's, which has problems, against being cooled on the reference model, which has none. Why would Nvidia cool them if it is not necessary and why doesn't EVGA?
Samsander
ok guys, here is a follow up. I didn't solve the black screen issue. So no good news there.
But here are my findings after taking off the GTX980 FTW cooler and front plate.
Sorry I forgot to take pictures so I will be using a GTX980 reference picture. The PCB layout is more or less the same.

Here is the comparison of the VRM & RAM cooling on the GTX980 Reference and the GTX980 FTW card.

In the picture above marked in red are the components that are being cooled with thermal pads by the front plate behind the ACX cooler on the GTX980 FTW.
In green are the components that do not have any thermal pads and the front plate is not covering this area at all.

Those components however are being cooled on the GTX980 reference card.
Here is a picture of the GTX980 reference cooler that shows thermal pads cooling the components on this area.

So... looks like part of the VRM module is not being properly cooled. What do you think? Design flaw?

P.S.
Since the cooler was already off I reapplied some MX-4. The original application was overkill as usual and the thermal paste even went over the frame.
While this didn't solve the black screen crashes here are the temperatures of before and after.

Before:
Idle: 38c / Load: 81c

After:
Idle: 35c / Load: 77c

Edit:
Here are some pictures of the GTX980 FTW that shows the location of the thermal pads and the area left exposed by the front plate. (Not my pictures, but this is indeed the FTW).

Or the fact that the hardware level voltage lock which is way lower than that of the reference model (even lower than the one mandated by Nvidia) or the superclocked "could" probably hinder the ability of the FTW models to be stable at their stock value.

FTW

Superclocked 

But no way. Again You come in say everything is fine for You call us immature for repeatedly pointing out this issue and tell other people to ignore us. I don't get it. For sounding so smart with what You write it seems You are not. Why would people complain about an EVGA product anywhere else but here? If an issue can be resolved this is the most likely place that will happen.
A few are also likely to not care once it is stable by underclocking it never to complain at all or simply getting a refund from where they bought it.

There are also people like You who have no such problems and that's OK but not raising an eyebrow when people get the same issue with the same card that can be solved in exactly the same way or having the same issue even after multiple RMA's is blowing my mind, honestly.

Someone mentioned switching his 980FTW with his wife's card (780ti or something) and the issue appeared on her system now. How can anyone say it's not the graphic card after reading something like that for example has to be some kind of a joke and a bad one at that.

I even thought about it being bios/old mainboard related in the first place but as i saw multiple people having the same issue with way newer mainboards, the thought perished. PSU is not worth mentioning because i can use an overclocked 780ti just fine and it draws way more. All OC's stable and issue persists even on default values. A whole bunch of different nvidia drivers tested and no difference. So, honest question: What else could it be?

On top of that, if it was indeed a compatability issue, it would be even more mindblowing that it runs on Your system without any issue. 

post edited by wickedwayne - 2015/06/06 18:39:53
deuce985
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/06 21:01:33 (permalink)
You guys are making me nervous about getting my GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC RMA Tuesday haha. Good news for me though is my GPU didn't show these problems until several months after buying it in which case I underclocked and it went away then came back in TW3. I think my GPU just went to poop that fast unfortunately. These problems are definitely not isolated to the FTW series since mine did the exact same symptoms only it took months later for it to show. So I at least know my GPU was good at some point and it probably just decided to degrade over time with unstable OC.
post edited by deuce985 - 2015/06/06 21:03:42
jameswiggin
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/06 21:53:16 (permalink)
I've had my GTX 980 FTW for about 3 weeks now and I've had no issues with it.

AMD build                      INTEL build
AsRock 990FX Extreme 4       AsRock Z97X Killer Fatality
AMD FX-8350                       I-5 4690K
EVGA GTX 980 FTW              EVGA GTX 780 FTW
8GB Corsair @ 1600            16GBCorsair Pro @1833
Samsung 840 EVO SSD        Intel 535 SSD
Rosewill Challenger Case     NZXT Phantom 530
Jshiver90
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/06 22:10:45 (permalink)
bsmegreg
[Removed quote and further editing]
The thing is it does work for some people, possibly a majority of them, but to have NO ONE in the bad card crowd say an RMA fixed the problem suggests it's some kind of hardware incompatibility issue or maybe even some kind of unique software that you all have. I would imagine a large majority of the cards work flawlessly, but to suggest that NO ONE with the problem on the forums can fix it with an RMA just screams that it's their PC somehow and considering that the only fix is to change card models suggests it's an incompatibility issue.
[Edited]

While I partly agree with you, if that were the case, down clocking wouldn't remedy the issue if it was a compatibility problem. It also wouldn't explain why some people have no issues after 2-4 RMAs.

Edit by Jedi:  Cleaned up quoted portions that were off-topic.
post edited by NordicJedi - 2015/06/08 20:53:34
Samsander
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/07 00:43:58 (permalink)
Jshiver90
bsmegreg
[Removed quote and further editing]
The thing is it does work for some people, possibly a majority of them, but to have NO ONE in the bad card crowd say an RMA fixed the problem suggests it's some kind of hardware incompatibility issue or maybe even some kind of unique software that you all have. I would imagine a large majority of the cards work flawlessly, but to suggest that NO ONE with the problem on the forums can fix it with an RMA just screams that it's their PC somehow and considering that the only fix is to change card models suggests it's an incompatibility issue.
[Edited]

While I partly agree with you, if that were the case, down clocking wouldn't remedy the issue if it was a compatibility problem. It also wouldn't explain why some people have no issues after 2-4 RMAs.

Exactly this. That's why it's not a compatibility issue.

Edit by Jedi:  Cleaned up quoted portions that were off-topic.
post edited by NordicJedi - 2015/06/08 20:55:31
bsmegreg
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1604
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/07 01:48:58 (permalink)
Only some of them can fix it with downclocking and who fixed it with 2-4 RMA's?

iycanthropy
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 09:11:23 (permalink)
I own and have been enjoying the Witcher 3 on it with no problems. I'm getting driver crashes on the desktop with Chrome but that is to do with NVIDIA and their rushed drivers post 350...

The only time I've had black screens is when I have stereoscopic 3D enabled in the NVIDIA control panel and certain game's don't like it but that's not really an issue with the card, that's just compatibility. Is there a way to replicate the issue, maybe I can test some things for people?

Intel Xeon X5650 @4Ghz||EVGA X58 FTW3||24GB Crucial DDR3 Tactical Tracer RAM 1866MHZ||EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+||Asus Xonar DX2||Samsung 840Pro 250GB||1TB/2TB Storage||Corsair TX650W||Corsair 800D||Corsair AIO H60||6x120mm Enermax Everast Advance Fans||2x 140mm Enermax Advance||2x Antec Spotcool 100||Pioneer BDR-205||Windows 8.1Pro x64||
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 09:16:08 (permalink)
iycanthropy
I own and have been enjoying the Witcher 3 on it with no problems. I'm getting driver crashes on the desktop with Chrome but that is to do with NVIDIA and their rushed drivers post 350...

The only time I've had black screens is when I have stereoscopic 3D enabled in the NVIDIA control panel and certain game's don't like it but that's not really an issue with the card, that's just compatibility. Is there a way to replicate the issue, maybe I can test some things for people?

Loop 3dmark skydiver demo on default settings.
This is the most crashy benchmark on the FTW card I know.
BStefan
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 09:26:02 (permalink)
bsmegreg
djmorgan
"So like you, I don't respond anymore, I don't need to as I have a perfectly fantastic GTX 980 FTW, maybe those having an issue have Karma at work" sigh 

The legend of the internet troll continues....

In remembrance of djmorgan who took an oath of silence, am I right or am I right?

Well, I was in the bad card crowd, and like I said on the first page of this thread, the first RMA has no issues at all.

I'll quote myself -

"I got lucky with my first RMA. I was having the black screen issue, where my monitor would turn off and only way to get back was restarting my computer. This was happening while playing games, and doing also the 3DMark Skydiver test, a lot of stuttering as well. This new RMA has been flawless, working perfectly fine, no issues at all. I'm on the list for a Step-Up to the 980Ti and I'm scared of letting this one go and have issues with the new one... hopefully not."
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 10:04:37 (permalink)
bsmegreg
Only some of them can fix it with downclocking and who fixed it with 2-4 RMA's?

Alot of people have had to go through 4 different RMAs to finally acquire a "decent" FTW that actually worked while some of them had to argue their way to get an SC or reference model. only about 2 (that ive heard of) been able to get a successful RMA after the 4th RMA. The others are still stuck with their "brick".
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/08 10:16:57

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Methodical2
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 562
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 10:23:28 (permalink)
BigBearSmokey
Just got back the RMA'd Gtx 980 FTW Card. Nothing has changed, I still get the black screen after a few minutes in GW2. Changed Physx in control panel to CPU instead of GPU and it was stable. Used EVGA Precision X and down clocked -100 mhz and it was stable. Did a diagnostics check on my PC, everything was 100 percent fine, did a RAM test and again everything was fine. Why is this GTX 980 FTW not stable at stock speeds in my machine? Everything is about 2 months old, my 290x Sli, 280x and gtx 970 sc works fine without a hitch but this FTW card seems to carry a very bad curse with it ("For the Win" huh, we sure won alright.)

CPU: i5 4690K
MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro
PSU: 850 Watt Bronze Label
RAM: 8GB Corsair
SSD: Samsung EVO Pro

If I were you I'd join the step up club.  That's what I did and I am only interested in the stock or reference version - no OC versions for me this time around since I am only using a single 2560x1600 monitor.  I've been lucky with the reference versions and that's what I am sticking with this go round.  If my 3rd FTW starts acting up, I will down clock and use it that way until my turn in the step up program.  As it stands, I will probably take a beating if I try to sell it at this point.

Just One Man's Opinion

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

BlackE
Case:  Caselab Magnum STH10
MB:  Asus X670E Hero
CPU:  Ryzen 9 7950x (EK-Quantum Vector²)
GPU:  Asus 4090 TUF OC (EK-Quantum Vector²)
Memory:  G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 (6000 @64gb)
Storage:  WD M.2 NVMe 2TB (OS), 2x4TB (Photography), 1TB (Games)
Fan Controllers: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT & Octo
PSU:  EVGA 1200 P2
Monitor:  LG 48" UltraGear OLED 4k

Methodical2
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 562
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 10:44:00 (permalink)
djmorgan
bcavnaugh

You are unfortunately wasting your bandwidth on this LIMITED bunch of complainers, I too have tried to suggest it maybe a combination of elements, all I got was that not all users post the specs of their rigs, you would think that somebody really interested to prove a point would find out all the specs of those having issues by email or PM, but NO! easier just to bag the product. And the poster, showing a high degree of immaturity 

You could have asked those that complain the most here, are the complaints echoed in other forums by OTHER users, Google it and you will find the answer is NO! 

So like you I don't respond anymore, I don't need to as I have a perfectly fantastic GTX 980 FTW, maybe those having an issue have Karma at work 

David.

EVGA tested mine and determined that it was a bad FTW card, soooooo.  I am on my 3rd card now, but it won't be a 4th one I can tell you that much.  The last tech I spoke with was adamant about it probably being a bad PSU, but my 2x 680s ran fine with no issue, which draws more than 2x the power as the single 980.  And, the 980 ran perfectly fine when down clocked by 100mhz with BF3, BF4 and FC4 and the various benchmarks.  Oh, also, I had no heat issue with my cards, they all ran between 59-64*  You obviously got lucky - better knock on wood.  
post edited by Methodical2 - 2015/06/08 10:50:14

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

BlackE
Case:  Caselab Magnum STH10
MB:  Asus X670E Hero
CPU:  Ryzen 9 7950x (EK-Quantum Vector²)
GPU:  Asus 4090 TUF OC (EK-Quantum Vector²)
Memory:  G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 (6000 @64gb)
Storage:  WD M.2 NVMe 2TB (OS), 2x4TB (Photography), 1TB (Games)
Fan Controllers: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT & Octo
PSU:  EVGA 1200 P2
Monitor:  LG 48" UltraGear OLED 4k

iycanthropy
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 11:47:36 (permalink)
Samsander
iycanthropy

Yep, just tested...

Failed. So i uninstalled MSI Afterburner, it still failed. I installed PrecisionX and put a higher voltage to the core, it got further but still failed. I decided to underclock it by 100mhz core and 10mhz memory and it finally passed! 

Looks like I have a faulty card but I'm also on step up for a 980Ti so I'm not too concerned now. It doesn't matter though because it seems these cards are not set at the factory correctly, this card is only 3 weeks old.

Intel Xeon X5650 @4Ghz||EVGA X58 FTW3||24GB Crucial DDR3 Tactical Tracer RAM 1866MHZ||EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+||Asus Xonar DX2||Samsung 840Pro 250GB||1TB/2TB Storage||Corsair TX650W||Corsair 800D||Corsair AIO H60||6x120mm Enermax Everast Advance Fans||2x 140mm Enermax Advance||2x Antec Spotcool 100||Pioneer BDR-205||Windows 8.1Pro x64||
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 12:04:43 (permalink)
iycanthropy
Samsander
iycanthropy

Yep, just tested...

Failed. So i uninstalled MSI Afterburner, it still failed. I installed PrecisionX and put a higher voltage to the core, it got further but still failed. I decided to underclock it by 100mhz core and 10mhz memory and it finally passed! 

Looks like I have a faulty card but I'm also on step up for a 980Ti so I'm not too concerned now. It doesn't matter though because it seems these cards are not set at the factory correctly, this card is only 3 weeks old.

Apperently EVGA tech guys don't play games for more then 10 minutes or don't know where to download 3dmark.
Seriously, I would pay money to find out what are they using to test the stability of supposedly highest grade and hand tested FTW's.
post edited by Samsander - 2015/06/08 12:08:46
Jshiver90
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 13:33:47 (permalink)
iycanthropy
Samsander
iycanthropy

Yep, just tested...

So the card you were playing Witcher 3 on without crashing at all started crashing?
iycanthropy
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 15:20:54 (permalink)
Jshiver90
iycanthropy
Samsander
iycanthropy

Yep, just tested...

So the card you were playing Witcher 3 on without crashing at all started crashing?

It has not crashed in any games yet, just 3D Mark. From my feel of what the PC is doing it seems the crash occurs because of a voltage irregularity,  the crash would always be at the end of Skydiver when the screen fades to white, the boost clock drops and the delay and hang must be to do with the driver not responding in the correct time with the cards state changing from boost to 2D. There is no science or measurements behind these assumptions, it's just a guess. Has anybody flashed their card? Roll on 980 Ti availability. 

Brian6751
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 19:13:54 (permalink)
For the record. My 980 FTW worked great. I thought it was a great card. I never had a single problem 

i5 4690K @ 4.6 GHz on Cryorig H5, 16 GB 1866 Corsair Dominator, 240 GB Crucial MX100 SSD system drive, 500 GB Samsung EVO 850 for games, 1 TB WD Black for other games, 2 TB WD Green for storage,, EVGA 850 G2
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 19:21:39 (permalink)
deuce985
You guys are making me nervous about getting my GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC RMA Tuesday haha. Good news for me though is my GPU didn't show these problems until several months after buying it in which case I underclocked and it went away then came back in TW3. I think my GPU just went to poop that fast unfortunately. These problems are definitely not isolated to the FTW series since mine did the exact same symptoms only it took months later for it to show. So I at least know my GPU was good at some point and it probably just decided to degrade over time with unstable OC.

Don't worry with that. I've had my 980 SC ACX since launch without issues. 
NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 12570
  • Ribbons : 77
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/08 21:05:06 (permalink)
I've cleaned up the thread some from a great number of off-topic posts and discussion.  It is, admittedly, a sloppy edit job because a number of very on-topic posts have no context without leaving quotes of posts that were previously deleted.  As such, there will be the odd quote that won't show up elsewhere in the thread.

Regardless, keep the thread on-topic and don't stray back into criticizing members for troubleshooting they may or may not have done.  It's pretty clear that members are talking about their experiences with the GTX 980 FTW - for better or for worse - and any discussion over whether somebody is doing things correctly should only occur in a constructive manner, and not in a generalized suggestion that the members in this thread ought to have their PC's examined at a Geek Squad.

Carry on.

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 03:29:36 (permalink)
Jshiver90
vdChild
Jshiver90
Seems odd though ... Why would the FTW cards have issues and not the reference models? Don't they use the same chip?

And why would downclocking solve the issue for some people?

the FTW is a custom pcb all evga componets unlike the acx which IS reference ie same as ref cooler nvidia card with evga sticker

Gotcha.

Still, why would down clocking solve the problem if it's a compatibility issue?

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but there's definitely something wrong with this card series.

They're clocked too high. This is a voltage issue since Nvidia has the voltage locked at a certain point to where it cannot get any more power, while the FTW is trying to get more power. Unfortunately, the FTW "binned" incorrectly, leading to the FTW a bad series.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 03:32:47 (permalink)
NordicJedi
 It's pretty clear that members are talking about their experiences with the GTX 980 FTW - for better or for worse - and any discussion over whether somebody is doing things correctly should only occur in a constructive manner, and not in a generalized suggestion that the members in this thread ought to have their PC's examined at a Geek Squad.

Carry on.

Never take your PC to Geek Squad, unless you want your PC to be a bigger brick than what it already was. lol
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/09 04:35:44

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
iycanthropy
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 03:45:37 (permalink)
I've settled on a 70Mhz downclock on the core and managed to get the memory working at stock speeds. This is now 100% stable but I'm not happy as EVGA's card does not work as advertised, my 980Ti can't come soon enough! I score 11,926 in Firestrike and 27,868 in Skydiver.

DnBrn
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 13:38:56 (permalink)
Sorry, I completely didn't even read your full post for some reason, shame on me.

Have you tried downclocking the card by 51mhz while playing GW2?  I have to do this while playing Elite: Dangerous and only Elite: Dangerous.  The game does not like the overclock while other games handle it just fine.  I have done rounds and rounds with EVGA (just want to RMA), Nvidia (doesn't think it's the card), and Frontier Developments (say that the game with the card doesn't handle the overclock well due to the constant changes from high to low usage and voltage changes).

The underclock has made the game playable and I revert it to the standard clock while playing everything else. 
post edited by DnBrn - 2015/06/09 13:44:02
jgonz
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 331
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 18:05:19 (permalink)
stalinx20
NordicJedi
 It's pretty clear that members are talking about their experiences with the GTX 980 FTW - for better or for worse - and any discussion over whether somebody is doing things correctly should only occur in a constructive manner, and not in a generalized suggestion that the members in this thread ought to have their PC's examined at a Geek Squad.

Carry on.

Never take your PC to Geek Squad, unless you want your PC to be a bigger brick than what it already was. lol

Wow I am really concerned with the lack of a real response from EVGA on the 980FTW issues. Down clocking a FTW card should never be a solution. Why bother paying a premium for a factory overclock that is not stable. 980Ti step ups are nice (if you had any in stock). I was just thinking of upgrading my 680s to something new and shiny. But not with this current generation. "Titan X with out thermal pads" and now 980FTWs. So come on EVGA step your game up, this is un acceptable.

A Concerned Customer
DnBrn
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/09 18:34:15 (permalink)
jgonz
stalinx20
NordicJedi

Carry on.

Wow I am really concerned with the lack of a real response from EVGA on the 980FTW issues. Down clocking a FTW card should never be a solution. Why bother paying a premium for a factory overclock that is not stable. 980Ti step ups are nice (if you had any in stock). I was just thinking of upgrading my 680s to something new and shiny. But not with this current generation. "Titan X with out thermal pads" and now 980FTWs. So come on EVGA step your game up, this is un acceptable.

A Concerned Customer

As far as I can tell they don't seem to know what the issue is.  What would you suggest they do?  A Recall?  What about all the people the cards seem to work fine for?  This isn't to say I don't agree, because I do.  There should be more information from them on what's going on with the cards 100%.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 19
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile