EVGA

Helpful ReplyShould I get the EVGA Hydro copper, Asus Poseidon, or ek water block?

Author
beekermartin
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 765
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/07/21 08:24:32 (permalink)
I am debating what to get. I have a custom loop and I am replacing 2x980ti's with ek blocks. I was leaning towards the EVGA Hydro Copper but I don't care for the looks as much as the clear EK blocks. I like the looks of the Poseidon and the idea that it can be air cooled if I ever needed to. I don't know if the performance will be as good as the Hyrdo or EK block though. I also like that the Poseidon has PWM fan headers that I can use. My mobo only has a single PWM header that I am using for the pump. My other fans I need to control using Speedfan which is not ideal. I know I can get a fan controller like Grid+ V2 but the Poseidon header could work well. 

They are all about the same price within a few bucks. If I do go with an EK block I will probably get an EVGA card that has a back plate that is compatible with the EK block. 

What do you guys recommend? 

beekermartin
SSC Member
Re: Should I get the EVGA Hydro copper, Asus Poseidon, or ek water block? 2017/07/21 08:55:13 (permalink)
Poseidon just showed up in stock on Newegg and on Ebay from Newegg. I have a $140 Ebay bucks I need to use in the next 12 days. I am leaning towards just getting the Poseidon. Decisions, decisions...

CoriolisAffectment
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 143
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Should I get the EVGA Hydro copper, Asus Poseidon, or ek water block? 2017/07/21 08:56:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby beekermartin 2017/07/21 08:58:41
My philosophy would be to gravitate, all things being equal, toward the product that fulfills the greatest utility.  From your OP that would seem to indicate the Poseidon.  You would have to consider how much difference there would be in performance and if that difference has any ultimate significance.  Best of luck in your decision.

Affiliate Code: 9SOE79HNPC

Below is a near live feed from my system's water loop.

beekermartin
SSC Member
Re: Should I get the EVGA Hydro copper, Asus Poseidon, or ek water block? 2017/07/21 09:57:00 (permalink)
I ordered the Poseidon. I was nervous it would go out of stock again. I needed to use those eBay bucks soon or the would have expired.

I think it will be a good 1080ti. I am sure temps will be excellent. Only downside really is the size. That doesn't matter really because almost all motherboards have three slots between graphic card slots nowadays. If I decide to go SLI in the future it shouldn't be a problem.

It wasn't cheap, $865 with shipping. If I would have went with a regular air cooled card and an Ek block it would have cost about the same. The FTW Hydro Copper is also the same price as well.

Hopefully I am happy with it. That is a lot of money for a single video card! When I spent over $600 on my first Classified 780 I swore I would never spend that much on a single card again. Oh well. Lol

CoriolisAffectment
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 143
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Should I get the EVGA Hydro copper, Asus Poseidon, or ek water block? 2017/07/21 10:03:54 (permalink)
  I hear you, lol.  Yeah, it's tough making, justifying, these decisions.  There's lots of room to second guess yourself.  A bit of a bummer that there's no 'super nerd' badge that one gets for angling towards high performance computing...I guess rocking games on ultra settings will have to do, lol.  Thanks for the 'helpful' designation.

Affiliate Code: 9SOE79HNPC

Below is a near live feed from my system's water loop.

beekermartin
SSC Member
Re: Should I get the EVGA Hydro copper, Asus Poseidon, or ek water block? 2017/07/21 10:53:51 (permalink)
Next question I have now that I've decided to go with the Poseidon is how to hook up all three monitors. I am currently using display port for all three monitors but the Poseidon only has two.

Use two display port and one hdmi? Will that have any impact on image quality?

My monitors are only 1920x1200 60hz so hdmi should work fine. Just curious if mixing DP and hdmi is OK.
post edited by beekermartin - 2017/07/21 11:09:25

beekermartin
SSC Member
Re: Should I get the EVGA Hydro copper, Asus Poseidon, or ek water block? 2017/08/08 07:40:18 (permalink)
I have had the Poseidon for a couple weeks now. Using one HDMI and two display ports is working perfectly with Nvidia surround. I assumed it would and it is. 

The issue I am having with the Poseidon is the external fan headers. They will not detect any fan that I have tried. I tried using a Swiftech PWM 8 fan splitter that is powered directly by the power supply. With the splitter in place the fans all run at 100% and that doesn't change while trying to calibrate the fans. With the fans I tried connected directly to the card they would power down and up while calibrating but it would always say detect fail. That was the case with both 4 pin PWM and 3 pin fans. I tried different drivers, different revisions of GPU Tweak II, etc. Nothing worked. I finally gave up and ended up getting a NZXT Grid+ V2 fan controller. That is working perfectly for my needs. 

One of the reasons I went with the Poseidon is the external fan headers. Well they aren't working as advertised. It does boost over 2000 mhz at stock settings even while only being air cooled. I spent a few minutes overclocking with the fans set to 100% and it could hit close to 2100 mhz but would crash over 2100mhz. Maybe once I connect it to my loop it will be stable above 2100mhz but that is unlikely and rare for a 1080ti. 

Should I return the card and get something different? Send it in for a RMA and cross my fingers I don't get a refurbished card back? Just ignore the fact the headers don't work as advertised and keep the card? 

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Should I get the EVGA Hydro copper, Asus Poseidon, or ek water block? 2017/08/08 09:30:38 (permalink)
The EVGA Hydro Copper

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile