Should I accept this RMA refurb?

Author
xotobyox
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/10/08 21:14:26 (permalink)
Hi All;
I recently RMA'd my gtx770 2gb SC acx 2 (1 yr old) due to the fan controller going bust on its own accord & was sent a refurb replacement.

I haven't even tried it yet I was unsure if I should be unpacking it and using it in its state.
It appears to have a form of corrosion on a couple of parts visible on the backboard. 

not a lot, but I simply do not know the ramifications of having even a little corrosion on circuitry like this as I have NEVER allowed my own parts to become corroded in any way and thus have no experience on the matter.

I need this to last for many years to come - should I not worry about what I'm seeing or is it blatantly unacceptable? opinion please?
I'm simply concerned the product I have will not last / will have problems in the future.

thank you - image attached

8 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49170
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Should I accept this RMA refurb? 2015/10/08 21:19:37 (permalink)
    I wouldn't.
    xotobyox
    Re: Should I accept this RMA refurb? 2015/10/08 21:51:11 (permalink)
    Ok thank you,
    I sent email to support @ evga . com  I hope this is correct procedure.. Not sure if this is right or to start a new RMA.

However I don't want to / cannot pay for shipping to Taiwan a second time. ($55)

The card has a 'Passed Quality Control' sticker on the back of it. What sort of quality control standards allow for corrosion and rust on a circuit board to be acceptable that is a little odd I find - especially if RMA's are denied if they see any corrosion on your product.

I think this would mean they would deny any of my future RMAs on this product by saying that I let it rust.
    Rigbuilder12
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re: Should I accept this RMA refurb? 2015/10/09 06:02:44 (permalink)
    Send it back! and make EVGA pay your postage. Evga sent me a bad 770 SC replacement once, I made a huge stink about having to wait 2 weeks without being able to run Sli.  I made them test the next replacement, before they sent out to me.

_edited for language
    post edited by EVGATech_EddieH - 2015/10/09 22:12:42
    EddieH
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 2016
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Should I accept this RMA refurb? 2015/10/09 22:17:24 (permalink)
    xotobyox
    Ok thank you,
    I sent email to support @ evga . com  I hope this is correct procedure.. Not sure if this is right or to start a new RMA.

However I don't want to / cannot pay for shipping to Taiwan a second time. ($55)

The card has a 'Passed Quality Control' sticker on the back of it. What sort of quality control standards allow for corrosion and rust on a circuit board to be acceptable that is a little odd I find - especially if RMA's are denied if they see any corrosion on your product.

I think this would mean they would deny any of my future RMAs on this product by saying that I let it rust.

Hello xotobyox, 

I do understand your concerns with your replacement.  I will go ahead and forward your post and the image to our RMA manager to further review and have him contact you directly.  I do appreciate your patience while they review the request.  
    xotobyox
    Re: Should I accept this RMA refurb? 2015/10/10 22:05:30 (permalink)
    EVGATech_EddieH
    xotobyox
    Ok thank you,

Hello xotobyox, 

I do understand your concerns with your replacement.  I will go ahead and forward your post and the image to our RMA manager to further review and have him contact you directly.  I do appreciate your patience while they review the request.  

Thank's Eddie.
    mucho appreciato.

EddieH
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 2016
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Should I accept this RMA refurb? 2015/10/10 23:26:41 (permalink)
    xotobyox
    EVGATech_EddieH
    xotobyox
    Ok thank you,

Hello xotobyox, 

Thank's Eddie.
    mucho appreciato.

Xotobyox,

No worries, I here to help as best I can.  I did get some feedback already, and I'll be following up with you via email directly. 

_Eddie
    EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
    RMA Management
    • Total Posts : 1461
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Should I accept this RMA refurb? 2015/10/12 09:29:41 (permalink)
    xotobyox
    Hi All;
    I recently RMA'd my gtx770 2gb SC acx 2 (1 yr old) due to the fan controller going bust on its own accord & was sent a refurb replacement.

I haven't even tried it yet I was unsure if I should be unpacking it and using it in its state.
    It appears to have a form of corrosion on a couple of parts visible on the backboard. 

not a lot, but I simply do not know the ramifications of having even a little corrosion on circuitry like this as I have NEVER allowed my own parts to become corroded in any way and thus have no experience on the matter.

I need this to last for many years to come - should I not worry about what I'm seeing or is it blatantly unacceptable? opinion please?
    I'm simply concerned the product I have will not last / will have problems in the future.

thank you - image attached

Hello xotobyox,

I can confirm that our Taiwan regional office is working on this for you and will get you taken care of right away. 

Let me know if you need anything further and I will kindly assist.

Regards,

-Jayson- EVGA USA RMA Dept.
    Reddit/Twitter - u/EVGA_JaysonC   @evga_jaysonc 

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Should I accept this RMA refurb? 2015/10/12 11:27:27 (permalink)
    If some little scratches are on not important place or if only it's not shine I would accept but this not look as so naive damages.
    Like corrosion on transisotors or screw, definitely contact technical support.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile