EVGA

Saint Row 2's PC Source Code has been Found - Volition will fix the game's lacklustre port

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/10/15 23:26:06 (permalink)
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/saint_row_2_s_pc_source_code_has_been_found_-_volition_will_fix_the_game_s_lacklustre_port/1

Saints Row 2's PC version is a mess. There's no other way of putting it. While the game is available on Steam, it suffers from a wide range of performance issues, relied on GameSpy (which is now shut down) for online play and more often than not relies on fan-made patches and tweaks to run. 

Volition, the developer behind the Saints Row series, has wanted to fix Saint Row 2's PC version for years, but until now Source Code for the port was unavailable. Saints Row 2's PC version was created by a 3rd party studio, which meant that Volition didn't have Source Code for the game's PC version on site. Now, Volition has gained access to Saints Row 2's long-lost PC source code, and the developer plans to use it to fix Saints Row 2's PC version. 

Well, better late than never I guess.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

9 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Saint Row 2's PC Source Code has been Found - Volition will fix the game's lacklustre 2019/10/16 05:46:51 (permalink)
    "Volition has gained access to Saints Row 2's long-lost PC source code, and the developer plans to use it to fix Saints Row 2's PC version."

Now, I wonder if they can find any players after being "broken" for so long

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Saint Row 2's PC Source Code has been Found - Volition will fix the game's lacklustre 2019/10/16 05:52:45 (permalink)
    I'll try it if I don't have to have yet ANOTHER Login...I don't like logging into steam to only have to log into another 'launcher' to run a game..like GTA V.

Just let me play the single player game and leave me the heck alone.

I don't even want steam. Just sell me the game...on a USB stick...

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Saint Row 2's PC Source Code has been Found - Volition will fix the game's lacklustre 2019/10/16 06:07:51 (permalink)
    Just sell me the game...on a USB stick...

+1

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Saint Row 2's PC Source Code has been Found - Volition will fix the game's lacklustre 2019/10/17 07:35:28 (permalink)
    S.R. #2  --  might as well "remaster" it for RTX  , at this point. 

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Saint Row 2's PC Source Code has been Found - Volition will fix the game's lacklustre 2019/10/17 10:08:32 (permalink)
    It's hard to see a point since it's been 11 years. Is anyone really going man I wish I could play a game that looks like GTA III?  It could be good if they did an 4K remaster though but I feel the game needs a major overhaul at this point to keep up with other open world games. 

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Saint Row 2's PC Source Code has been Found - Volition will fix the game's lacklustre 2019/10/17 14:23:14 (permalink)
    Always wonder what happens to the source code for games. Especially all those game devs that go belly up. I imagine some bank that forecloses on game devs has control over source they don't even understand and it gets thrown away. Has there been any legal president where the source code of a project has reverted back to the employees that wrote it after being abandoned?
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/10/17 14:25:43
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Saint Row 2's PC Source Code has been Found - Volition will fix the game's lacklustre 2019/10/17 14:27:51 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    It's hard to see a point since it's been 11 years. Is anyone really going man I wish I could play a game that looks like GTA III?  It could be good if they did an 4K remaster though but I feel the game needs a major overhaul at this point to keep up with other open world games. 

Retro gaming is actually rather popular. There are whole communities focused on emulators and old hardware.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/10/17 14:30:41
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Saint Row 2's PC Source Code has been Found - Volition will fix the game's lacklustre 2019/10/17 18:21:11 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Hoggle

Retro gaming is actually rather popular. There are whole communities focused on emulators and old hardware.

I agree that retro gaming is really popular but normally you see people going back to play popular games that came out not flawed. Maybe the console love the game had would be enough for that but I think a lot of retro gamers would rather spend time playing GTA Vice City or a game like that which had a far more solid launch both on PC and consoles. I know I am a retro gamer who has picked up games like Duck Tails, Mega Man and Castlevania titles. I also own the NES and SNES classic so I totally get playing old games. It's just when I retro game it's a title I remember playing and enjoying.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Saint Row 2's PC Source Code has been Found - Volition will fix the game's lacklustre 2019/10/17 20:17:31 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Hoggle

I agree that retro gaming is really popular but normally you see people going back to play popular games that came out not flawed. Maybe the console love the game had would be enough for that but I think a lot of retro gamers would rather spend time playing GTA Vice City or a game like that which had a far more solid launch both on PC and consoles. I know I am a retro gamer who has picked up games like Duck Tails, Mega Man and Castlevania titles. I also own the NES and SNES classic so I totally get playing old games. It's just when I retro game it's a title I remember playing and enjoying.

Looking at the Saint's Row series, I think you have some of the same effects that often happen in the retro-gaming community though were nostalgia paints some really horrid games in rose colored glasses. People forget that in many cases that nostalgia is more about the people you played it with, or that time in your life than some of those games actually being good. I ran into that issue with a few titles this year when I started going through my 80's list of game titles to replay them. A few I just had to put away because the mechanics were god awful.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile