EVGA

[SOLVED] 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1p is crashing my pc

Author
telakos
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/28 06:17:38 (permalink)
Hello everybody,

I have these weird problems with my brand new RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra

1. 1. My GPU logo doesn't light up by default (i'll explain)
  2. Tampering with X1 Precision's even most simple tasks such manual fan control results in system hang / crash and I have to reset my pc.

I have noticed that the logo turned on while gaming and then turned off when I stoped playing and the GPU cooled down, this happened a couple of times.

X1 Led control does nothing, no breathing, no static no color change no turn on / off nothing works.

Also VF Scan results in system hang / crash.

In my attempt to try and narrow down the cause of the problem, I just bought a brand new more efficient Power Supply Unit than my previous one (previous one was a chieftec 1000w bronze) I just installed it and I have the same problems.

Other troubleshooting steps I did was clean boot, disabled fast boot, DDM and clean installed all drivers, load optimized defaults in bios etc to no avail, I saw in the forums that 2080 line (not super) have LED issues too and tried the MCU firmware update but no bueno, got device not supported error message from the updater.

I must note that other then that (oc problems, led problems etc) I get 60FPS @ Modern Warfare in 2560x1440 max settings same at Battle Field V Ultra settings. Temps looking good.

I have spoken to EVGA suport they suggested to test the card to another somewhat newer system but I haven't yet find the time to do so or start RMA proccess. I would like to avoid RMA if possible because it could take a while and I work on this system everyday, I have no backup card.

Meanwhile I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions on these problems.

I have the following system:

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Gigabyte

Motherboard Model:
Z170-HD3P

GPU:
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra

Graphics Card Model:
08G-P4-3183-KR

CPU: 
i7 6700K @ 4,40 ghz

Memory Manufacturer:
Corsair

Memory Model:
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Power Supply:
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W RGB 80+ Gold

Operating System:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit (all latest updates)

Monitor:
Dell UltraSharp U2715H

Other Peripherals:
SSD1: Samsung 850 Evo Plus 500GB M2 (System)
SSD2: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB (Storage)
HDD1: Western Digital 4TB (Storage)
HDD2: Western Digital 2TB (Storage)

CASE:
Thermaltake core p5 tg ti

Thanks in advance.
post edited by telakos - 2019/12/30 18:48:32

20 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10332
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/28 06:21:28 (permalink)
    You need more than 10 posts to post links on the forums. 

When you say GPU cooled down, how hot did it get?  Give us idle and load temps while gaming and prior/during if possible of the crash.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    telakos
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/28 08:04:14 (permalink)
    Hi, the card never crashed while gaming, but I noticed that the led logo turned on while gaming then I noticed that when I stopped gaming and the temps went down a bit the led logo turned off, I don't really remember temperatures exactly but they were normal between ~30c / ~40c when idle and ~70c while gaming.

On the other hand, the card lags / hangs and crashes my system when I try almost any option in x1 precission (fan control, vf scanner etc). Led controls not working either, can't be turned on / off, canot change RGB colors etc.

Now my that my pc is idle the GPU temp is at 43c fans not spining or they occasionaly turn on and off briefly. 
    post edited by telakos - 2019/12/28 08:09:35
    bob16314
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7859
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/28 10:13:03 (permalink)
    The only things I have to offer up are:

Try Revo Unistaller (Free) to uninstall PX1..Use the Advanced Mode to delete files/folders/registry entries, but be SURE you ONLY checkmark to delete the Precision registry entries shown in bold text..Then restart your PC..Then delete the leftover EVGA_Co.,_Ltd folder normally located in the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local folder..Then install PX1 again.

The AppData folder is normally hidden so you need to set the folder View Options to Show hidden files, folders, and drives to see it.

Try two seperate PCIe power cables to the card instead of one 'Y' cable that splits off into two connectors.

See also: How Do I Troubleshoot Precision X1 Issues?

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

telakos
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/28 12:55:29 (permalink)
    Hello thanks for your reply, I tried your instructions. I have completely deleted x1 using revo, removed registry keys and folders, reinstalled it and same thing happens. No led logo, no rgb control, when i try anything on x1 such as fan speed it crashes my computer, first it goes blank then comes back but lags and finally it hangs and i have to reset.
    bob16314
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7859
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/28 13:00:20 (permalink)
    Sounds like you should Contact EVGA Customer Service about it..Probably going to need to RMA the card.

If you bought the card through a retailer and not EVGA, it might be better to contact them and see about a replacement/refund.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

telakos
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/28 13:48:55 (permalink)
    That bad huh ? Also forgot to mention that my GPU has two separate PCI-E cables hooked up an 8pin and a 6pin, no splitter.

Well one more thing to try before RMA is to hook the GPU up to another pc with a newer mobo / cpu and see what happens.

Im open to other ideas too.

Thanks again
    fdolopez11
    • Total Posts : 28
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/28 18:50:00 (permalink)
    telakos
    That bad huh ? Also forgot to mention that my GPU has two separate PCI-E cables hooked up an 8pin and a 6pin, no splitter.

Well one more thing to try before RMA is to hook the GPU up to another pc with a newer mobo / cpu and see what happens.

Thanks again

By any chance do you have 3 red led lights turned on just above the PCIE power ports?
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/29 04:43:22 (permalink)
    telakos

Before moving it to a PC, try reseating it in your PCIe lane and replugging your power connectors, making sure they are fully inserted and snapped in.

Also, see if your MB could use a supplementary PCIe power connector.  If so, plug that sucker in just in case as these GPUs are known to be demanding even though those connectors are usually best used for SLI but it doesn't hurt to try.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    telakos
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/29 05:23:59 (permalink)
    fdolopez11
    telakos

Thanks again

By any chance do you have 3 red led lights turned on just above the PCIE power ports?

Hello there, none that I can see.

GTXJackBauer
    telakos

Before moving it to a PC, try reseating it in your PCIe lane and replugging your power connectors, making sure they are fully inserted and snapped in.

Also, see if your MB could use a supplementary PCIe power connector.  If so, plug that sucker in just in case as these GPUs are known to be demanding even though those connectors are usually best used for SLI but it doesn't hurt to try.

Hello, 
    This is the manual of my mobo, I don't see any supplementary PCI E connectors
    Search google for: mb_manual_ga-z170-hd3p_e.pdf (can't post links yet).

Already tried to reseat the card, the card currently is sitting on a riser cable because I like this layout on my case (thermaltake p5 tg ti), but I tried directly on the PCI E slot when I was troubleshooting, same results.
    post edited by telakos - 2019/12/29 05:26:52
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/29 05:45:14 (permalink)
    telakos
    fdolopez11
    telakos

Thanks again

GTXJackBauer
    telakos

Hello, 

Already tried to reseat the card, the card currently is sitting on a riser cable because I like this layout on my case (thermaltake p5 tg ti), but I tried directly on the PCI E slot when I was troubleshooting, same results.

Your board does not have the extra pcie connector on it, i also noticed your board supports amd crossfire but not nvidia sli, and even if your not using either of those in past i have noticed a board that will support amd crossfire and not nvidia sli also has troubles with a single nvidia card as well. I would try the card in a different pc or try a different nvidia card in your pc if you have one. If you try a different nvidia card in your pc and have the same issues it says its not your video card. 

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16564
    • Ribbons : 271
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/29 06:48:52 (permalink)
    telakos
    Hello thanks for your reply, I tried your instructions. I have completely deleted x1 using revo, removed registry keys and folders, reinstalled it and same thing happens. No led logo, no rgb control, when i try anything on x1 such as fan speed it crashes my computer, first it goes blank then comes back but lags and finally it hangs and i have to reset.

If you remove Precision and leave it removed, does the card work fine?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

telakos
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/29 17:24:53 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    telakos
    fdolopez11
    telakos

Thanks again

GTXJackBauer
    telakos

Hello, 

Your board does not have the extra pcie connector on it, i also noticed your board supports amd crossfire but not nvidia sli, and even if your not using either of those in past i have noticed a board that will support amd crossfire and not nvidia sli also has troubles with a single nvidia card as well. I would try the card in a different pc or try a different nvidia card in your pc if you have one. If you try a different nvidia card in your pc and have the same issues it says its not your video card. 

I had GTX 970 G1 Gaming from Gigabyte until recently, served me well all those years, no problems at all the logo on that card was on and led controls were working.

Well im currently preparing to format my pc and if that not works i will try the card to another system and then RMA.

ty_ger07
    telakos

If you remove Precision and leave it removed, does the card work fine?

If I uninstall x1 logo doesn't turn on. I can't tell if it works fine because I can't OC or change fan speed to see if it hangs / crashes. As I said I was able to play games etc but there's something wrong.

Also today I was testing some new features of davinci resolve studio (it's a program for video editing) and the screen went blank, system crashed and reset.

I'm 80% sure that the card is not fully functional and has a flaw.

I'll be 90% sure the moment I format my system and have a clean install and 100% sure when I test the GPU to another system. Then I think that I have exausted all troubleshooting and I'm going to RMA.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16564
    • Ribbons : 271
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/29 18:19:58 (permalink)
    telakos
    I'll be 90% sure the moment I format my system and have a clean install and 100% sure when I test the GPU to another system. Then I think that I have exausted all troubleshooting and I'm going to RMA.

I encourage you NOT to install Precision or Afterburner after the format.  Then try some games, resolve studio, etcetera and see if you have any issues.  You don't need to change clock speeds, or fan speeds, or see a logo lit, or anything like that to find out if the card is working properly.  You just need to use it.  The card is designed to be used safely for its entire warranty period without any fan speed controls or overclocking or any of that complication.  See if you stop having crashing and black screen issues.  If you still have crashing and black screen issues, they you can be more sure that there may be something wrong with the card.  On the other hand, if it works properly after a while of use, install Precision, and then see if the problems start happening again.  Troubleshooting.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

telakos
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/29 19:28:24 (permalink)
    Well I just formated my pc, installed latest drivers, still the logo doesn't light and I'm sure if I try anything on x1p it will crash my system. I will test the card on another system soon and if the logo doesn't light up and still hangs the system when using x1, it means there's a problem with the card. I don't know what problem excactly, I will RMA it. I know nothing's perfect and that sometimes products might be faulty but I expect nothing less of what's described for an expensive product such as this. Clearly there is something wrong and I want full functionality, I want the logo to light up, the RGB to work properly the OC functions too even if I never use them and ofcourse to be stable for my work.

I'll keep you posted how it goes.
    post edited by telakos - 2019/12/29 20:29:29
    telakos
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/30 18:47:48 (permalink)
    Well guys I finally solved it. I couldn't find someone with newest system to test the card and I decided to change slot and moved the GPU to the second one (which I believe it x8) and my oh my! It worked, when I powered the computer on the logo turned on imidiately, I installed x1 it did an RGB update also prompted me to install some direct X SDK stuff and I was able to fully control the RGB LEds, the Fans speed now work fine and I can customize them and as I type this reply I'm doing a VF Scan.

System did not hang / crashed (yet).

Phew, that was really stressful.

So my question now is: Does it affect performance ? Is my 1st PCI-E x16 bust? Can I Fix it (could it be just dust inside the slot for example and if I clean in will work again?) Should I buy a new mobo ?
    post edited by telakos - 2019/12/30 18:51:03
    telakos
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/30 19:02:04 (permalink)
    So based on my mobo's manual the slot I moved the card in is actually x4 not x8

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49090
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/30 19:06:12 (permalink)
    A x4 slot will definitely affect performance.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/30 23:07:36 (permalink)
    You might have to RMA that MB if the top slot isn't working as it should.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/31 02:39:12 (permalink)
    Yes that board should be rma'd for repairs unless its still a returnable item to where you purchased it, if so i would return it and get a refund on it and get a different board all together and not worry about the time involved with the repair rma procedure. 
    post edited by sparetimepc - 2019/12/31 02:44:19

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49090
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 2080 RTX Super XC Ultra LED not lighting and tampering X1 precision is crashing my pc 2019/12/31 11:01:03 (permalink)
    Since the top slot gave you proper fps in a game I wouldn't recommend rma'ing the board just yet. Since you were able to update the firmware in the 4x slot I would recommend trying the card in the x16 slot again to see what happens.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile