EVGA

RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Coil Whine

Author
ryanmozo
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/01/24 10:31:08 (permalink)
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, so my apologies if there are any formatting issues! I searched through the forums and couldn't find any recent similar threads.

As the title suggests, I have the RTX 2080Ti FTW3 card in my set-up. This is my first computer build ever, so I've been learning on the go. I've been noticing some weird sounds through the front I/O panel on my case (where the graphics card is situated) and only recently put two and two together to figure out it's coil whine from the graphics card. Luckily my case shields the sound, so it's more of an issue when I put headphones on.This isn't something I would personally try and RMA a product for; I love the card and wouldn't go through that process for something that I could at the end of the day just take my headphones off.

1. As someone who is a relative novice in troubleshooting computer hardware, are there any fixes for something like coil whine without making changes to hardware?
I don't believe it is a compatibility issue as I have the EVGA Z390 FTW motherboard, and the EVGA Supernova 1000W T2 power supply. From the power supply I have two completely separate 8-pin VGA power cables connecting to the graphics card, which is mounted vertically and connected to the motherboard via a CoolerMaster 300mm riser cable. I attached a picture of my build in case if anyone needs a visual to the set-up!

Build specs (can add more if needed):
- EVGA Z390 FTW
- EVGA Supernova 1000W T2
- Intel i9-9900k
- Corsair Vengeance RBG PRO (16GB)
- Corsair H150i PRO
- CoolerMaster C700M chassis
- Samsung 860 PRO (512GB)

2. Does it originate from the cooling apparatus or from the power delivery to the PCB? If it's the cooling apparatus, will water-cooling the GPU fix the coil whine?
If it originates from the power delivery to the PCB then I'm not sure what else I can do as I've read that having two separate power cables to the graphics card is usually the way to go.

Thanks in advance for any help!
-Ryan

Attached Image(s)

3 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49057
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Coil Whine 2019/01/24 10:44:24 (permalink)
    Fixes for coil whine...

#1 Put glue on the noisy coils. Only works if coils are exposed. Will void warranty if done.
    #2 Run ati tool overnight to burn the card in. Click show 3d view to start ati render test.
    #3 Increase/decrease voltage on the card.
    #4 Use frame rate limiter software to limit fps in game to reduce whine.
    #5 Try a different psu.
    #6 Try a different motherboard.
    #7 RMA the card.

The noise comes from the inductors on the card.

Water cooling the card won't fix the coil whine.

https://www.evga.com/supp...ewfaq.aspx?faqid=59535

ryanmozo
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Coil Whine 2019/01/25 07:04:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for the response! I wouldn't be comfortable doing anything that voids the warranty, and as I said before I'm not in the position to do any changes to hardware so 1, 5, and 6 can't do. 7 I also said I didn't feel the need to go through this process due to its minimal effect on my enjoyment. I'll definitely give 2 a try, although I've read a lot of mixed sentiments as to whether this is necessary or works. Hopefully that will fix it! Thanks again for the response.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49057
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Coil Whine 2019/01/25 10:20:54 (permalink)
    No problem.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile