Helpful ReplyRTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
degenerate
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 614
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/01 16:43:24 (permalink)
They won't and can't, there's nothing they can do at this point. They chose to use Asetek and Asetek sucks so unless they decide to design their own solution or choose to use someone else's next time; it is what it is. Chances are they don't want a repeat of what they're currently experiencing so I'm guessing they'll change course but maybe I'm being too generous, probably am.

|5900x|MSI B550 Unify-X|2x16GB G.Skill 3800 C14 @ 1900 FCLK|2TB WD SN850 M.2|EVGA 3090 KPE|EVGA 1600T2|Alienware '25' & LG 48" CX OLED|
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/01 23:31:12 (permalink)
degenerate
They won't and can't, there's nothing they can do at this point. They chose to use Asetek and Asetek sucks so unless they decide to design their own solution or choose to use someone else's next time; it is what it is. Chances are they don't want a repeat of what they're currently experiencing so I'm guessing they'll change course but maybe I'm being too generous, probably am.

Asetek owns the rights to the pump/block designs.  They've already went after others in the past that ventured off on their own.  I guess this pump that everyone has this year is a newer gen (Gen6 I think?).  Obviously it's the loudest of the bunch or maybe something faulty is going on.  Idk but I think they should have stuck with previous revisions of the pump instead of jumping on something new that hasn't made a name of itself yet AFAIK.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Mcwrah
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 245
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/01 23:43:55 (permalink)
Funny enough, KINGPIN also has gen6 pump and I can't hear it unless I open my case and put my ear like 1.5feet from the card(pump) and with closed case (meshify S2 so no real sound dampening) you can't hear it at all. While on my ftw3, even with closed case its audible up until like 5feet... Its about as loud as my buzz on my kingpin now lol.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/01 23:50:56 (permalink)
Pumps should never be that loud unless they have trapped air bubbles or fluid is low or just completely dry.  It just doesn't seem right. 

I have seen some folks say the pump is fine but are they not bothered by the noise or do they have noise but they don't care for it OR is it muffled out by the fans?  So many different variables and hard to tell.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
degenerate
SSC Member
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/01 23:59:13 (permalink)
Mcwrah
Funny enough, KINGPIN also has gen6 pump and I can't hear it unless I open my case and put my ear like 1.5feet from the card(pump) and with closed case (meshify S2 so no real sound dampening) you can't hear it at all. While on my ftw3, even with closed case its audible up until like 5feet... Its about as loud as my buzz on my kingpin now lol.

From one anecdote to another...:

I can hear mine easily and unless I put a magnet on it, it's legitimately unbearable. Even with the magnet there is still a high-pitched whine present. That's not to mention the chirping inductors under load, either. This is in an R6 which is a very well-damped case.

GTXJackBauer
degenerate

Asetek owns the rights to the pump/block designs.  They've already went after others in the past that ventured off on their own.  I guess this pump that everyone has this year is a newer gen (Gen6 I think?).  Obviously it's the loudest of the bunch or maybe something faulty is going on.  Idk but I think they should have stuck with previous revisions of the pump instead of jumping on something new that hasn't made a name of itself yet AFAIK.

I think it's possible to get an Asetek pump that isn't loud as heck, but I feel like their quality control is just terrible which allows a lot of duds to leave the factory.

If they actually care and are concerned going forward, I think EVGA should contact Gigabyte and use whatever pump they are using in their 20-series Waterforce cards. I had one for a couple weeks in a client-build and it was dead-silent, the inductors were dead-silent too. That was just one sample though, so can't really assume much. It's possible it was a lucky sample but I don't think so.

Part of me wishes I never bought my KPE 2080Ti, I may end up selling it. Chances are nobody would want it though lol, how sad is that!

|5900x|MSI B550 Unify-X|2x16GB G.Skill 3800 C14 @ 1900 FCLK|2TB WD SN850 M.2|EVGA 3090 KPE|EVGA 1600T2|Alienware '25' & LG 48" CX OLED|
Mcwrah
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 245
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/02 00:22:18 (permalink)
Yeah I want to sell my ftw3 too with the hybrid kit for a really good price but afraid no one will buy it because of the buzzing lol (even if they decided to take the card with air cooler only). Kinda waste to have it laying around doing nothing. 
lucidworld
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/02 01:16:03 (permalink)
Seriously tho, I'm waiting for my EVGA bucks to drop on the 16th so I can do the wrong thing and grab up that Kingpin...lol... The 2080 Ti FTW needs that 240mm rad badly.

sym30l1c
  • Total Posts : 48
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/02 02:42:54 (permalink)
Is it just me or people with the KINGPIN seem not to be having as many problems with the pump as those with the other Hybrid cards/Hybrid kits? I wonder whether offering a revised or alternative hybrid kit with the KP pump could be an option. They could also offer the option of selecting the kind of AIO to pair with the shroud, i.e. 120 or 240 rad.

SPECS: AMD 2700x, ASUS Crosshair VII Hero, G-SKILL Trident 16GB 3200MHz, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra
degenerate
SSC Member
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/02 03:04:59 (permalink)
sym30l1c
Is it just me or people with the KINGPIN seem not to be having as many problems with the pump as those with the other Hybrid cards/Hybrid kits? I wonder whether offering a revised or alternative hybrid kit with the KP pump could be an option. They could also offer the option of selecting the kind of AIO to pair with the shroud, i.e. 120 or 240 rad.

Probably just seems that way as a consequence of the sheer number of units sold. They all use the same Gen6 pump so if there is an issue they can all potentially suffer from it.

lucidworld
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/02 11:34:36 (permalink)
degenerate
sym30l1c

Probably just seems that way as a consequence of the sheer number of units sold. They all use the same Gen6 pump so if there is an issue they can all potentially suffer from it.

I dunno, I haven't heard of a single Kingpin owner complaining about pump noise. I figured it was because the 120mm rad was being pushed to its limits, whereas the 240mm was just right.

degenerate
SSC Member
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/02 17:56:45 (permalink)
lucidworld
degenerate
sym30l1c

I dunno, I haven't heard of a single Kingpin owner complaining about pump noise.

I guess you haven't been reading this thread...?

Not only that, there has probably been 250-500 KPE's sold compared to probably 5-10k+ of other Hybrid kits/GPU's so it makes sense that you will see more folks complaining about those kits & GPU's versus KPE owners.

lucidworld
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/02 22:48:38 (permalink)
degenerate
lucidworld
degenerate
sym30l1c

I dunno, I haven't heard of a single Kingpin owner complaining about pump noise.

I guess you haven't been reading this thread...?

Not only that, there has probably been 250-500 KPE's sold compared to probably 5-10k+ of other Hybrid kits/GPU's so it makes sense that you will see more folks complaining about those kits & GPU's versus KPE owners.

Sorry if I missed it, but I didn't notice the Kingpin pump complaints?

degenerate
SSC Member
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/03 01:39:24 (permalink)
lucidworld

Sorry if I missed it, but I didn't notice the Kingpin pump complaints?

No apology needed

I wouldn't really call it a 'complaint' but I have personally mentioned it once or twice in the forums. I was expecting some pump noise tbh so it's not such a deal-breaker to me but I feel it is important to mention that it does exist.

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/03 03:19:26 (permalink)
degenerate

I wouldn't really call it a 'complaint' but I have personally mentioned it once or twice in the forums. I was expecting some pump noise tbh so it's not such a deal-breaker to me but I feel it is important to mention that it does exist.

From what I've heard from videos posted to what people describe, it sounds like those are louder than my EK D5 G2 PWM pumps x2 in serial @ 100% because it's so darn silent.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Shadeirou
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/24 11:32:37 (permalink)
For anyone having this issue, I have something of a workaround that allows you to control your pump speed via Precision X1. Here's the list of parts you will need:

Remove the shroud. Disconnect the pump power from the board and connect it to the 4-pin mini GPU to 4-pin fan adapter. Run this out of the shroud between the two 8-pin power slots. Connect this to the 4-pin to 3-pin adapter. Connect that to the 3-pin side of the PWM to voltage converter. Connect one side of the 4-pin male to male cable included with the converter to the converter, then the other side to the external fan header of the FTW3 or Hybrid card. Go into Precision X1 and put your fan up to 100%. This will start the pump. Now, set a fan curve for the pump. I recommend 35% at 35C to 100% at 50C. The pump ramps up/down accordingly.

You will notice that if you take the speed below 32%, the pump stops running for some reason. If this happens, push the pump up to 100% and it will start responding again. This is why I recommend 35% at 35C - it will never let the pump drop below 32%. The next hangup: the pump won't start until it hits 100% once. This why I recommend 100% at 50C - your machine will heat your GPU up to 50C at idle over time, or quickly at load, thus starting the pump.

This is by no means a perfect solution, but it works. HOWEVER, be aware that if Precision X1 is not running, your pump will not be running! This is the only part that worries me.
post edited by Shadeirou - 2019/06/24 11:34:54
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/06/24 14:35:10 (permalink)
Shadeirou
For anyone having this issue, I have something of a workaround that allows you to control your pump speed via Precision X1. Here's the list of parts you will need:

Remove the shroud. Disconnect the pump power from the board and connect it to the 4-pin mini GPU to 4-pin fan adapter. Run this out of the shroud between the two 8-pin power slots. Connect this to the 4-pin to 3-pin adapter. Connect that to the 3-pin side of the PWM to voltage converter. Connect one side of the 4-pin male to male cable included with the converter to the converter, then the other side to the external fan header of the FTW3 or Hybrid card. Go into Precision X1 and put your fan up to 100%. This will start the pump. Now, set a fan curve for the pump. I recommend 35% at 35C to 100% at 50C. The pump ramps up/down accordingly.

You will notice that if you take the speed below 32%, the pump stops running for some reason. If this happens, push the pump up to 100% and it will start responding again. This is why I recommend 35% at 35C - it will never let the pump drop below 32%. The next hangup: the pump won't start until it hits 100% once. This why I recommend 100% at 50C - your machine will heat your GPU up to 50C at idle over time, or quickly at load, thus starting the pump.

This is by no means a perfect solution, but it works. HOWEVER, be aware that if Precision X1 is not running, your pump will not be running! This is the only part that worries me.

Not a bad work around but to modify what you said, if someone just wants to run it on a MB PWM header and bypassing the purchase of the converter and 4 pin to 3 pin adapter, they could do that but they won't be able to control or monitor it through PX1, obviously through the MB's BIOS and or Windows app.

Some voltage devices like fans and pumps can't start too low unless they are PWM controlled since it's always being fed 12v.

As for curves, I don't set curves anymore to the pump.  I just set and forget.  I think people should do the same to the AIO pump.  These pumps at a lower % run at a trickle.  I remember seeing the flow on AIOs in the past where someone modded them and it looked like a weak running small pond pump with a trickling flow so folks shouldn't run these pumps too low.  Set it at a tolerable audibles, assuming it's no less than 50% PWM and go from there, testing to see how the temps fluctuate.  I think running it at 75% or 100% and leaving it alone should be ok as well.  The only curves that should happen are the fans.  On big loads obviously the fan should ramp up to 100% to keep the temps low or again, working around it to a tolerable audible and temperature setting.

I'm not sure if you're able to extent the warranty to 5-10 years on a standalone Hybrid Kit but a GPU/Hybrid all in one should be warranted for that duration set by the consumer, if they decided to extent said warranty.  

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
cigaro
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/08/05 20:13:58 (permalink)
Glad I found this thread as I am having the same issue with my Hybrid card. Ordered one of the cables to hook it up to the MOBO and under volt it.

Called EVGA and the person I spoke with was so rude and condescending. Never had an experience like that with them before. but they basically told me that I am wrong in my assessment of the pump noise which is so frustrating because it is clearly an issue that we cannot control the pump speed. 

I can hear the damn thing while laying down in my bed. So irritating. 

icy1007
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2019/08/24 16:37:36 (permalink)
I installed the EVGA Hybrid Cooler Kit onto my new Founder's Edition RTX 2080 Super I bought from Nvidia and the pump is very whiny. It sounds exactly like a mini-fridge condenser. I've ordered the "4-Pin PWM Fan Connector (Female) to 4-Pin Mini GPU Fan Connector (Male)" from ModDIY and will plug it into the AIO Pump header on my motherboard. My BIOS has a section where I can set the PWM or DC power % to that AIO header. I will start off at 90% since that is what Steve at GamersNexus recommends, but will lower it from there if I am not satisfied with the noise still.

Attached Image(s)

omen999
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2020/03/18 21:36:57 (permalink)
Jacob has EVGA posted any sort of firmware update to resolve the pump speed causing the noise?
I just recently updated my 2080ti FTW3 Ultra to the Hybrid.

I've been looking and can't seem to find much.
The Mini 4 Pin GPU to 4 Pin Fan Adapter work-around seems like a good alternative but i'd prefer not to go that route if at all possible.

I tried out the 4 pin GPU to 4 Pin Fan adapter work-around.
Unfortunately I can't seem to modify the my bios other than putting it into DC or PCM.

So i'm still stuck with the same resulting sound.

Motherboard is a ASUS Maximus X Formula.

post edited by omen999 - 2020/03/23 22:22:19
brainsaber
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING pump noise 2020/03/28 04:25:58 (permalink)
Oh wise denizens of this thread, I have a noob question: is there any way I can just remove the liquid cooling part and install an air-cooling unit on it?  I'm sorry if that's the dumbest question ever.  Let's say it could be done- I could replace the liquid cooling portion with a fan cooled setup.  It wouldn't be that bad for thermodynamics, right?  I have a gigantic inverse ATX case with plenty of flowing air.  Case and motherboard temps are solidly low.  

Yes, cue the folks who say your card shouldn't be upside down.  Nothing I can do about that.   Yes yes, ID-Ten-Tee error in regard to whoever ordered it (who me? I just thought it looked cool).  The noise I'm experiencing is sort of a slow pulsing in and out refrigerator sound.  I definitely think it's the pump as I've had bad CPU pumps before.  It's the frequency I hate.  That's why I've started fantasizing about removing the liquid cooling part and turning it into a regular fan.  I don't even know if that's possible.  I can deal with a fan's white noise, even on full RPMs.  The reason this has come to the forefront now is Borderlands 3 abuses my card.  Doom Eternal on the other hand... the temp doesn't go over 45.  I don't hear it.  I don't hear it with some other games I play because the 2080ti slaughters those games.  Borderlands 3 though, wow it just pummels the card.  

TL;DR: Can I just remove the liquid cooling part and put an air-fan cooling device on it?  If I'm stupid, please tell me so, I will take my lumps.  It can't hurt to ask though.  I just hate that frequency it's making.  I guess I just need to see what the form factor the mounting bracket stuff is.  That'll be the real answer.  They probably did some proprietary config.  

post edited by brainsaber - 2020/03/29 17:54:18

Attached Image(s)

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile