EVGA

RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra Fans Constantly Going On and Off at Idle

Author
JDendy
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/13 21:05:25 (permalink)
I bought the card the day they came out. The fans have come on and gone off constantly while mildly gaming since I've owned the card (for seemingly random stints of time). I just started noticing a noise from when it comes on and goes off like a quiet scrape sound. I'm not sure if it's old enough for the bearings to have worn out. Both make the sound as they come on and go off.

Is this normal, or is it RMA time? 

Thank you
post edited by JDendy - 2019/12/19 14:42:16

5 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra Fans Constantly Going On and Off at Idle 2019/12/13 22:56:55 (permalink)
    JDendy
    I bought the card the day they came out. The fans have come on and gone off constantly at idle since I've owned the card (for seemingly random stints of time). I just started noticing a noise from when it comes on and goes off like a quiet scrape sound. I'm not sure if it's old enough for the bearings to have worn out. Both make the sound as they come on and go off.

Is this normal, or is it RMA time? 

Thank you

Behavior looks normal to me.

If you'd like, you can set a fan curve to constantly set the fan on at low % and set them higher as temps rise so you stop getting the start and stoppage audibles.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    JME321
    • Total Posts : 83
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra Fans Constantly Going On and Off at Idle 2019/12/14 00:36:19 (permalink)
    you can use precision x1 custom fan profil for fix this on off fan for be quiet
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra Fans Constantly Going On and Off at Idle 2019/12/14 03:04:22 (permalink)
    The specs of an EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC and Ultra says it has iCX2 Cooling.

So fan operation depends on the temperatures of what the GPU, the Memory and the Power areas of the card are.

Default operation of the fans can be overridded using EVGA Precision X1..You can use the predefined fan speed curves or create your own custom curves by dragging the setpoints to where you want them..You can remove setpoints by clicking to highlight them and pressing the keyboard Del key..You can add setpoints by clicing anywhere on the curve line..You can change the curve to steppings, and vice-versa, by double-clicking in a blank area of the Fan Curve Editor..You can add Hysteresis (delay) by double-clicking in that area and typing in your own number, then press keyboard Enter.

There's many things you can do in Precision to keep the fans from cycling on/off so much.

As far as the scaping sound goes, that's not normal..Maybe a fan blade is slightly hitting the shroud somewhere and you can maybe reposition the shroud a little or shave a little off the shroud area using an X-ACTO knife or something similar.

I suppose it's possible that there's a slight imperfection somewhere in the bearing/s and that running the fans at full speed when you can might 'break in' the offending bearing/s and the noise might eventually go away.  

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

JDendy
    Re: RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra Fans Constantly Going On and Off at Idle 2019/12/15 18:48:42 (permalink)
    Believe it or not, I installed Precision X1 before I even saw this, but after I posted. I changed the color of my LED, but ever since I installed that, it hasn't cycled the fans. So who knows. I'll keep my eyes and ears out for it : ) 
    JDendy
    Re: RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra Fans Constantly Going On and Off at Idle 2019/12/19 14:41:46 (permalink)
    Nevermind, it's still there...

The problem is that on when it's hovering around the start/stop point on the temperature/fan operation, it starts and stops and when it starts, it sounds like bad bearings. But they both do it. I'm just going to contact support and see what they say. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile