EVGA

Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue!

Author
jakoh77
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/16 06:17:40 (permalink)
My story with struggling with this is very long so I will try to make it as detailed but short as I can. I have a GTX 770 Classified (brand new) and I was trying to do a dual display and it wouldnt work. The "top" DVI port works but the bottom one does not. Tried new drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling no success, so I had it RMA'd. When I received the new GPU, same issue persisted. So I tested the card in a different PC and the card worked fine with no problems. So my testing continued. "Top" DVI port worked, "bottom" did nothing, and the HDMI was even more interesting... When solely connected to the HDMI, off boot, the BIOS emblem along with Windows emblem would show for about 2 seconds but then the screen would go black although it continued to boot. So next I tried software fixes, but could not solve it. So I installed Linux to try and remove windows from the equation and still could not get it to work. So next I tried the monitors. I tested and both work along with both cables working. So next I thought maybe the power supply, so I booted into the BIOS to check the voltage readings and the 12V components was powered at 12.15V which is well withing range. So next I did a memory test just because and had no problems there. Finally I was able to get my motherboard RMA'd thinking it was a bad PCI bus or slot. The motherboard is an ASUS Extreme VI. Upon arrival after the RMA, they sent the same board (same S/N), so I asked if they found issues or what. They said they did find some problems and fixed them, after final testing they shipped it back. Great news! till I tried it and nothing has changed. I have an Intel 4670k processor so I doubt that is the issue. I dont know if ASUS fixed anything or not but I have no idea what to do. Everything is new and higher quality so the issues shouldn't be happening. I've tried to upgrade and downgrade the ASUS BIOS version and yet to no avail. I know the problem isn't with the GPU and that this is an EVGA forum, but there are a lot of smarter people than me here and I just need help. I will try or test anything. Is there something I should change in the BIOS? If you need more info please let me know. I'm very frustrated through this long process and paying for shipping components that do not resolve the issue i'm having. Please and thank you for your help!

My rig:
Motherboard: ASUS Extreme VI Hero
Processor: Intel i5 4670k
GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Classified
Memory: Corsair 16 Gb
SSD: Crucial M500
PS: Corsair Gold 750Watt
Monitors: 2x Asus VS238H-P

15 Replies Related Threads

trabe3
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1203
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/07/16 06:47:31 (permalink)
    Since you have 2 monitors, how were you connecting them?  Have you tried different DVI cables? 

System #1
    ASUS RIV BE
    4930K 4.5GHz - Kraken X60 push/pull
    16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz
    EVGA 780 Classified SLI - Pro SLI Bridge
    Corsair AX1200i
    Windows 7 Pro
    NZXT Switch 810
    ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
    3930K @ 4.4GHz
    8Gb 1600Mhz
    XFX R9 270X (for now)
    jakoh77
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/07/16 06:53:59 (permalink)
    I have not tried "different" cables, but I was able to test both monitors/cables into the port that was working. So from that I verified that both monitors and cables worked, but only one at a time from the single working DVI slot. 
    Edit: Plus the HDMI port is funny on both monitors and the cable for sure works. I use it all the time.
    post edited by jakoh77 - 2014/07/16 07:01:43
    bob16314
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7859
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/07/16 07:54:06 (permalink)
    jakoh77
    Is there something I should change in the BIOS?

Welcome to the forums..Although you shouldn't have to change anything in the BIOS because the mobo is supposed to auto-detect when a graphics card is installed and configure accordingly, you could try changing the Graphics Configuration -> Primary Display from the default of Auto to PCIE and see what happens..It's in Advanced -> System Agent Configuration.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

jakoh77
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/07/16 07:57:22 (permalink)
    bob16314
    jakoh77

Welcome to the forums..Although you shouldn't have to change anything in the BIOS because the mobo is supposed to auto-detect when a graphics card is installed and configure accordingly, you could try changing the Graphics Configuration -> Primary Display from the default of Auto to PCIE and see what happens..It's in Advanced -> System Agent Configuration.

Thanks, I will try this when I get home tonight and let you know. Still accepting other suggestions though =] Thank you Bob!
    jakoh77
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/07/17 04:12:53 (permalink)
    bob16314
    jakoh77

So I tried this and it did not change anything. =(
    bob16314
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7859
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/07/17 05:10:26 (permalink)
    Try the GTX 770 in the PCIE_X8_2 (middle) slot and see how it goes. 

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

jakoh77
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/07/17 05:12:56 (permalink)
    bob16314

I did try this before I sent the Motherboard back for RMA but I have not tried it since I got the "fixed" board. I'll try it again when I get home.
    jakoh77
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/07/18 11:13:43 (permalink)
    bob16314

Tried the second PCI slot and no luck (although I have 4 slots). I talked to customer service and they directed me to a page where they list compatible GPU's with this motherboard. The link is here:

[Well it doesnt like my link]  but here is the list that it shows: 

nVidia chipset - EVGA -  
    EVGA 250GTS512MX16
    EVGA GEFORCE 8600GT-256M

I am not sure I completely understand it, but I went down to nVidia chipset and EVGA to look at compatible cards. Do you think my card is considered compatible or not? I don't see why it wouldn't be since I've seen many with a build like this but otherwise I couldn't find much. Customer service also had me enable something called iGPU in the BIOS and multi monitor? Not sure what it is but that didnt fix it either. The whole thing is weird since nothing appears to be broken. Any other ideas from anyone? They did offer to RMA it again but that would cause me to tear it down and pay to ship it AGAIN and I'm not even convinced that they will fix it. Thanks for your help. 
    post edited by jakoh77 - 2014/07/18 11:28:02
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4688
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/07/18 11:59:38 (permalink)
    We need to know some things....have you done a clear cmos with both monitors connected and then booted to bios and manually setup voltages/timings etc... on your cpu/ram etc... ?If you cant get to bios with both plugged in can you set it up with one monitor, save and plug in the second and reboot and see where that gets ya?!? When you tried the gpu in a different pc, did you do a dual monitor setup like your trying to do with the problem pc, or did you just try one monitor to make sure the gpu was ok? Did you try the other dvi slot,on the gpu, in the other pc if only one monitor test? Have you tried hooking one monitor to dvi-d on the gpu and the other to hdmi, instead of the other dvi on the gpu? Your sure both monitors are defaulting themselves to the correct port on there config panel?
    post edited by wmmills - 2014/07/18 12:02:18

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    jakoh77
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/07/18 12:15:04 (permalink)
    wmmills
    We need to know some things....have you done a clear cmos with both monitors connected and then booted to bios and manually setup voltages/timings etc... on your cpu/ram etc... ? When you tried the gpu in a different pc, did you do a dual monitor setup like your trying to do with the problem pc, or did you just try one monitor to make sure the gpu was ok? Did you try the other dvi slot in the other pc if only one monitor test? Have you tried hooking one monitor to dvi-d on the gpu and the other to hdmi, instead of the other dvi on the gpu? Your sure both monitors are defaulting themselves to the correct port on there config panel?

I have not done a clear cmos with both monitors, but I have tried to check/install drivers for them and that's it. I haven't done any manual voltage/timing set up, mainly because I wouldn't know what to change them too. Normally with an intel set up I don't NEED to tweak the voltage settings. But either way it is a new concept to me but I am willing to try if you give me instructions. As for when I tried it in a different PC... I plugged in both monitors via DVI during boot and after it booted, both screen came on. I may have had to install the GPU driver first, but both monitors were on at the same time. So that tells me that both slots work. As for testing on MY pc, I have tried each port individually and every combination including dvi-d and hdmi. When I did the dvi-d and hdmi, the hdmi did nothing at all, but the working dvi port worked as expected. Each time I tested I made sure the monitors were set to "DVI" or "HDMI" accordingly. it just says "No signal detected" and trying to "Detect" in windows results in nothing. I have tried both monitors individually with DVI into the working port and they both work. Which tells me that both cords and both monitors work fine, just the one DVI (bottom) port does not work. But as I said above, one interesting thing about the hdmi port is when I only have a monitor plugged into the hdmi and boot, the ASUS bois screen shows along with the Windows 8 flag for roughly 2 seconds before the screen goes black. But it continues to boot correctly with a black screen and then the monitor will display "No signal detected" so it is losing signal for some reason during boot. 
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4688
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/07/18 12:44:44 (permalink)
    jakoh77
    wmmills
    We need to know some things....have you done a clear cmos with both monitors connected and then booted to bios and manually setup voltages/timings etc... on your cpu/ram etc... ? When you tried the gpu in a different pc, did you do a dual monitor setup like your trying to do with the problem pc, or did you just try one monitor to make sure the gpu was ok? Did you try the other dvi slot in the other pc if only one monitor test? Have you tried hooking one monitor to dvi-d on the gpu and the other to hdmi, instead of the other dvi on the gpu? Your sure both monitors are defaulting themselves to the correct port on there config panel?

I have not done a clear cmos with both monitors, but I have tried to check/install drivers for them and that's it. I haven't done any manual voltage/timing set up, mainly because I wouldn't know what to change them too. Normally with an intel set up I don't NEED to tweak the voltage settings. But either way it is a new concept to me but I am willing to try if you give me instructions. As for when I tried it in a different PC... I plugged in both monitors via DVI during boot and after it booted, both screen came on. I may have had to install the GPU driver first, but both monitors were on at the same time. So that tells me that both slots work. As for testing on MY pc, I have tried each port individually and every combination including dvi-d and hdmi. When I did the dvi-d and hdmi, the hdmi did nothing at all, but the working dvi port worked as expected. Each time I tested I made sure the monitors were set to "DVI" or "HDMI" accordingly. it just says "No signal detected" and trying to "Detect" in windows results in nothing. I have tried both monitors individually with DVI into the working port and they both work. Which tells me that both cords and both monitors work fine, just the one DVI (bottom) port does not work. But as I said above, one interesting thing about the hdmi port is when I only have a monitor plugged into the hdmi and boot, the ASUS bois screen shows along with the Windows 8 flag for roughly 2 seconds before the screen goes black. But it continues to boot correctly with a black screen and then the monitor will display "No signal detected" so it is losing signal for some reason during boot. 

Im not familiar with your board so I would rather see someone else help you set up the bios in it. Not that I couldn't wing it but someone who has it will know what settings work or don't etc... better than I will. Did you check the ports on the gpu and the cords to make sure theres no bent pins that might be missing when the cord gets plugged in? ive seen that happen quite a few times to people. also, are there any sleep or hibernate settings that may be interfering from the bios? are you on win 8 or 7? 64 bit?

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    jakoh77
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/07/24 08:30:27 (permalink)
    wmmills
    jakoh77
    wmmills

Im not familiar with your board so I would rather see someone else help you set up the bios in it. Not that I couldn't wing it but someone who has it will know what settings work or don't etc... better than I will. Did you check the ports on the gpu and the cords to make sure theres no bent pins that might be missing when the cord gets plugged in? ive seen that happen quite a few times to people. also, are there any sleep or hibernate settings that may be interfering from the bios? are you on win 8 or 7? 64 bit?

Well i tried new cords in general and still same problem. Plus all the pins seem fine. I did look into the bios and didnt find much other than it has some "Multi monitor" setting to enable, which I did but it didnt change anything. I also found something called iGPU? not sure what it is but I tried different settings with that and still no luck. I did not find any sleep settings that appear to be interfering with the bios. Also I am using windows 8.1 64bit. I've also tried Ubuntu 14.04 and same problem. I'd be willing to try windows 7 if you think it may help. Other than that I am still fresh out of ideas. I'm at the point where I would buy a new motherboard, but I'm not even sure that is the problem! Thanks again for everyones help.
    Sgt Hoit
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 338
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/11/11 11:11:23 (permalink)
    Did you ever get a resolution to your problem?  I have a similar issue.  I purchased a GTX770 Classified from a forum member and when I plugged it into my computer I could only get intermittent dual screen to work.  Either using 2 DVI connections, or 1 DVI and 1 display port to DVI connection, or 1 DVI and 1 HDMI connection.

I have an X58 Classified 3 MB, and was running 2 GTX580 SC before I removed them to install the newly acquired GTX 770 Classified.  In the old configuration I had 2 DVI connections from 1 card connected to 2 DVI monitors and all worked great.  The power supply is a silver stone 1500.

Caselabs Mecury S8, EVGA X299 Dark, i9 - 9980XE
    EVGA CLC 240mm CPU cooler, 64gb Corsair Dominator Platinum
      EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti KINGPIN
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w G2 PSU, Samsung 870 Pro 512gb NVMe
    EVGA Z10 Keyboard, EVGA Torq X10 Carbon Mouse 
    3 x Dell S2716 DGR G Sync 27 inch monitors 
    HeatWare
    bloodfx
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/11/11 11:46:33 (permalink)
    Please edit your posts to included paragraphs so people can read them easy?

jakoh77
    Re: Problem with display ports and HDMI, very complex issue! 2014/11/12 05:56:56 (permalink)
    Sgt Hoit
    Did you ever get a resolution to your problem?  I have a similar issue.  I purchased a GTX770 Classified from a forum member and when I plugged it into my computer I could only get intermittent dual screen to work.  Either using 2 DVI connections, or 1 DVI and 1 display port to DVI connection, or 1 DVI and 1 HDMI connection.

I have an X58 Classified 3 MB, and was running 2 GTX580 SC before I removed them to install the newly acquired GTX 770 Classified.  In the old configuration I had 2 DVI connections from 1 card connected to 2 DVI monitors and all worked great.  The power supply is a silver stone 1500.

I did finally get my problem resolved, but it wasn't anything I did. About a month after I posted this, ASUS came out with and update to their BIOS and when I updated to that it solved my problem. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but eventually I got lucky. Hope the same works out for you. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile