EVGA

AnsweredPrecision X1 wont start with windows 10

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
nvidia_man123
  • Total Posts : 26
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Precision X1 wont start with windows 10 2022/01/13 14:35:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BizSAR 2022/01/17 14:09:59
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. 

There may be multiple things at play here and I am not an expert. I certainly don't mean to invalidate anyone else's previous solution. If you found something that worked for you, great - stick with that!

I'll post about how I solved it, in the hope that someone else will see it and it will work for them too.

In my case, the issue was with a newish Win10 and 11 feature called controlled folder access. (read about it here: How to enable & use Controlled Folder Access in Windows 11/10 (thewindowsclub.com))

It's a great security feature and really restricts the damage ransomware can do to your system should you get infected. It means your windows & system folders, 'My Documents' folders etc. won't get encrypted if your PC is infected by a crypto-locker virus. For that reason, I think it's better to learn how it works and switch it on rather than switch off the feature completely.

I'm using Win 11 so keep that in mind if you decide to follow my instructions (I'm sure the general concept is the same in Win10 but you never know).

So to make the settings "stick": You may be able to install PrecisionX in a folder that is not a "controlled folder" by default (so install in something like C:/Precision (as someone earlier in the thread suggested) rather than its default location at C:\Program Files\EVGA\Precision X1

BUT, I have not tried this method because, no matter where PrecisionX is installed, if it needs to save anything (like a settings/config file to any protected folder - i.e even your documents folder - it can't do so unless you allow the app access or turn off the controlled folder access feature.

You can press the 'Windows button' and type "Protected folders" to navigate to the windows setting that allows you to see all the folders windows has decided to protect for you. Note where it says "Windows system folders are protected by default" - but you'll also see all your document folders listed below.

The best way to allow PrecisionX to function is to "Allow an app through controlled folder access". -> this means you trust the app and it has all the access it needs to do whatever it needs to do.

1. Press the 'Windows button' and type "Protected folders" to get to the relevant setting.
2. Click "Allow an app through controlled folder access".
3. Click 'Add an allowed app"
4. Navigate to where you installed PrecisionX (usually C:\Program Files\EVGA\Precision X1)
5. Select the executable file (called 'PrecisionX_x64' in my case... it will be one of two purple icons in that folder, the other is the uninstall program)
6. Make your settings changes in PrecisionX - it can now save those changes as it has the access it needs to the folders it needs. 

How did I learn about controlled folder access? Soon after reading about the feature, I turned it on... A few weeks later I played Civilization 6 for the first time for about 5hrs and came back the next day and my save game was gone! Civilization 6 needed access to a documents folder that was protected! That was frustrating because I didn't immediately connect Civ6 with controlled folder access!

Anyway, I hope this contributes to the discussion and if nothing else, I hope it helps people understand (and use) this Windows feature!

Intel Core i7-9700k
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA
32GB RAM
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
JapeCity
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Precision X1 wont start with windows 10 2022/05/26 15:21:48 (permalink)
Oh my goodness. After literally weeks of searching for a fix, nvidia_man123, yours worked! Thank you so much. Literally followed those steps exactly and it booted right up!
nvidia_man123
  • Total Posts : 26
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Precision X1 wont start with windows 10 2022/05/26 16:41:22 (permalink)
JapeCity
Oh my goodness. After literally weeks of searching for a fix, nvidia_man123, yours worked! Thank you so much. Literally followed those steps exactly and it booted right up!

I'm super-pumped to know that I've helped at least one person in the world today! 😂

Intel Core i7-9700k
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA
32GB RAM
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile