Oil on GPU

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Frosty Aviator
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/05/07 16:34:49 (permalink)
Just over a year ago, I purchased some GTX 1070s FTW edition and mounted them on various PCs in the house.  A few weeks ago, I decided it was time to refresh my PCs, do a clean, do an OS reinstall, etc. which I usually do every 12-18 months.  I was surprised to see that my GPU seemed  to be leaking some sort of oily substance and on the GPU that was vertically mounted, it even dripped onto the PSU below so the PSU is also oily.  As I go through the PCs, it seems like all my 1070s have this issue.  Bad batch maybe?  I bought these GPUs at the same time from the same store.  My old 980Ti and 7970 GHz Edition cards (both EVGA too) never had this issue and checking on them, they were dusty but dry.  I've never had this issue with other cards I've owned before too.

I've looked online and it seems that this issue is now "common" and thermal pads are being blamed.  However, the pictures I see have far less oil than I have on my cards.  One that did have a lot of oil/liquid mentioned a possible heatpipe leak.  I've contacted EVGA and I've been told by the agent that my pictures "looked about right" but I'm not so sure.  Here are some of the worst cards:

On one of the cards, I was even able to still scoop out some of the liquid.

Is this really normal nowadays?  Am I worried about nothing?  I would really want to send these GPUs back for a replacement for ones that don't leak.  I know I can probably open these GPUs up and scrub everything down but 1) I've never taken GPUs apart before, 2) I don't see why I have to as this is clearly a manufacturing issue and not a fault on my end, 3) if further leaks were to occur, it would just be more trouble later on down the road as I'd have to take each GPU apart for a proper clean.

I submit my thoughts to the hive mind and would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom! 
Thanks!

53 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/07 16:41:30 (permalink)
    It is Normal and Comes from the Thermal Pads.
    Use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean up the Oil.
    Might be time to Blow out your card as well.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/05/07 16:46:55

Attached Image(s)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/07 18:02:45 (permalink)
    Make sure your alcohol does not make contact with the thermal pads while cleaning or it can damage them. You can simply wipe the oil off and it won’t hurt anything as well.
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/07 20:02:01 (permalink)
    Normal for EVGA, I have yet to have it on other manufactures cards. 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/07 20:42:23 (permalink)
    chrisdglong

Gigabyte:

Zotac:

Motherboards do it:

A whole thread about Strix Card doing the same thing:
    Link

It’s just normal in general, even if you don’t see it yourself. It can be found from every manufacturer on their products.
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/07 21:14:56 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    chrisdglong

Gigabyte:

Zotac:

Motherboards do it:

A whole thread about Strix Card doing the same thing:
    Link

It’s just normal in general, even if you don’t see it yourself. It can be found from every manufacturer on their products.

I never said that it doesn't happen, I've never had it happen. 
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/07 22:14:09 (permalink)
    It’s important to know it’s a cosmetic issue and will not harm the card in anyway. Also it would not effect an RMA. I personally would leave it but it’s good to know the cause.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Frosty Aviator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 05:07:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the confirmation!

bcavnaugh
    Might be time to Blow out your card as well.

That is after blowing through the card as well, using an electric air duster.  The dust/fibers just cling to the oil making maintenance more complicated.

Hoggle
    It’s important to know it’s a cosmetic issue and will not harm the card in anyway. Also it would not effect an RMA. I personally would leave it but it’s good to know the cause.

Would this not lead to increased dust accumulation and retention resulting in higher-than-normal temps?
    post edited by Frosty Aviator - 2019/05/08 05:11:30
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 05:30:38 (permalink)
    chrisdglong

Just providing clarification for others that come in.

This part may sound terrible, but if the OP or other users typed their title “oil on GPU” directly into google, their answers would be readily available without waiting for someone to answer the question. Thousands of results come up and show that there is no harm.
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 05:38:46 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    chrisdglong

Just providing clarification for others that come in.

This part may sound terrible, but if the OP or other users typed their title “oil on GPU” directly into google, their answers would be readily available without waiting for someone to answer the question. Thousands of results come up and show that there is no harm.
    Maybe, he wanted to ask around here, or get a more personal answer... who knows, who cares, posting questions like this on a forum like this is the whole point of the forum... I really hate when people create a reply just to say go search Google...
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 07:35:07 (permalink)
    Yes to the uninitiated it is alarming - when your GPU has "damp looking spots" it is not an issue ---> [unless your CPU's AIO cooler is leaking ]

The thermal pads are infused with "silicone" by the Mfg & like anything else there is probably some variation during production of the pads

Now mix in: Compression, temps, gravity & the silicone will migrate

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Frosty Aviator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 10:19:49 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one

Maybe before complaining or assuming, it would be best to read the actual post?
    EDIT: You mentioned "if the OP..." so I took that as being directed at me.  I just wanted to point out that I did make a search but as chrisdglong pointed out, I wanted proper verification on my particular cards.  I did not want to just assume my issue was simply the thermal pad issue as other pictures show much less than what I was seeing on my cards.  Better safe than sorry!  Thanks for your PM, apology accepted but really was not needed.  Thank you for your help in this thread!

Cool GTX
    Yes to the uninitiated it is alarming - when your GPU has "damp looking spots" it is not an issue ---> [unless your CPU's AIO cooler is leaking ]
    The thermal pads are infused with "silicone" by the Mfg & like anything else there is probably some variation during production of the pads
    Now mix in: Compression, temps, gravity & the silicone will migrate

Like I said, I've never had this happen before.  I'm not a PC building store and I upgrade PCs only every 4-5 years (when the performance jump justifies the cost), but I've been doing this for a while and I build PCs for family and friends and I have 3+ PCs in the house at any given time.  I also maintain my PCs and those of close family and friends so I clean the insides of PCs quite a lot.  This is the first time I've seen something like this outside of something actually breaking or having some insect/animal pee or die inside the case.  I am also a strong proponent for big aircoolers since catastrophic failure would simply result in a passive heatsink compared to when AIOs or liquid cooling setups fail.  Naturally, I was very surprised to see any liquid/oil/moisture inside the case!

I don't think thermal pads per se are the issue but rather the type of thermal pads EVGA is currently using, right?  I have had 980Tis, 980s, 960s, 7970s, and other top/2nd/3rd tier cards before with double- or even triple-slot coolers and unless you're saying those GPUs did not have or use thermal pads or that old thermal pads didn't use silicone, then the thermal pads really isn't a valid excuse for EVGA.  It seems funny to now have to accept this as the "norm" when it didn't seem to be an issue before; at least not in my limited experience!

Moving on.... it seems that I will actually have to open up these GPUs and clean them out.  Do people normally replace the thermal pads?  I'd love to hear recommendations for good pads that won't leak silicone all over the place!  If such an option is not possible, I'll probably just clean these cards and sell them on and look at the 2XXX series of GPUs, but if this issue persists with EVGA's 2XXX line, I'll definitely be looking at other manufacturers going forward. :(
    post edited by Frosty Aviator - 2019/05/08 11:20:38
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 10:45:09 (permalink)
    Sorry seems I offended you - Not my intention, we have seen many of these threads / questions.  My answer is not pointed at the you the OP - as these threads are seem by many people
    ------------------------------------------------------

Failed heatpipe - Have your GPU temps changed drastically for the worse ? 

I only replace thermal pads that are dry, cracked or torn

Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 W/mK 8.0 & Fugipoly are some high-end and $$$ thermal pads - (as W/mK goes up so does the price)

I usually buy my parts from Performance PCS

Performance PCS thermal pads

I usually use the ones from EK  3.5 W/mK

Current promotion
         Spend $50 or more, get 10% off: "MOMDAY19-10"
         Spend $250 or more, get 12.5% off: "MOMDAY19-12"
         Spend $1000 or more, get 15% off: "MOMDAY19-15"

Another resource Digi-Key Thermal Pads & sheets

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Frosty Aviator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 11:10:20 (permalink)
    No, no, not at all.  No offense seen from your post, if there is any emotion in my response, it is more to do with being disappointed at this issue.  I have had very, very good experience with EVGA in the past with their GPUs and PSUs and happily bought my 1070s based on that past experience.  From what I read online, while this issue happens on other manufacturer's GPUs as well, it seems like it's more prevalent in EVGA products?  I really wish I could RMA these if for no other reason than to avoid the hassle of opening them up and future maintenance issues.  One or two GPUs on a personal rig is fine.  Multiple GPUs across multiple PCs both for myself and for family and friends and all of a sudden, any increased maintenance requirement would be a major pain especially as I do this as a hobby and thus unpaid and on my own free time.  All because EVGA decided to use this particular brand of thermal pads.

I've never opened a GPU cooler assembly before.  I've never cleaned/scrubbed a PCB before.  Now I will have to do this and EVGA will not cover any damage that may occur.  All because EVGA decided to use this particular brand of thermal pads.

Thank you for your recommendations on thermal pads.  As you can see, I'm very unhappy with the stock ones and will be replacing them.  I assume that if I do, these aftermarket pads will not leak silicone?  Here's one that I've found:

EDIT: seems like I can't post links yet so
    Watercool Replacment thermal pads for HEATKILLER® IV für GTX 1080 und 1070 FTW
    from the PPCS website costing $7.95

Unfortunately, I'm located in the UK so will have to find some on this side of the pond.

Watercool Replacment thermal pads for HEATKILLER® IV für GTX 1080 und 1070 FTW Model: WC-79369

edit Cool GTX added link

post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/05/08 11:27:55
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 11:24:21 (permalink)
    Post count requirement is covered in this:  The ultimate starter-thread for new members

Just skip the www.  and add a space, before the .com ===>  my thermalpad123 .com

In the General Discussion part of the Forums there are plenty of threads, designed to help increase your post count
    Home » All Forums » [EVGA General Forum] » General Discussion

Do Not Scrub

Blotting with lint free (coffee filter works) and 90% or higher rubbing alcohol - Use caution as rubbing alcohol is flammable

Frosty Aviator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 11:26:45 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Failed heatpipe - Have your GPU temps changed drastically for the worse ?

I can't really say.  Up to now, I've been using the 980Ti on my personal rig.  The others were used on my boys' PCs, wife's PC, home theatre PC, etc. so I wasn't really monitoring them.  What would you say would be the norm?  I've put one in my personal rig now to test it out and it's sitting at 52-53C with a 0-8% fan speed and going up to about 65-70C at 36% fan speed when game testing; everything about the card is default, I've not changed anything.  I've not really run stress benchmarks or anything on these, any suggestions?  I can probably hook each one up to the home theatre setup and run tests from there.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 11:28:31 (permalink)
    Fixed your Link

Check that I got the right part

Frosty Aviator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 11:28:44 (permalink)
    performance-pcs.com/watercool-replacment-thermal-pads-for-heatkillerr-iv-fur-gtx-1080-und-1070-ftw.html

Cool GTX
    Do Not Scrub
    Blotting with lint free (coffee filter works) and 90% or higher rubbing alcohol - Use caution as rubbing alcohol is flammable

LOL, I didn't mean actual scrubbing....

fixed link Cool GTX
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/05/08 11:38:59
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 11:33:24 (permalink)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 11:37:32 (permalink)
    Frosty Aviator
    performance-pcs.com/watercool-replacment-thermal-pads-for-heatkillerr-iv-fur-gtx-1080-und-1070-ftw .html

look up in post #14 - that was the part I had already put a link in

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 11:40:08 (permalink)
    Nothing to worry about. Nothing a good cleaning can't fix.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 11:43:20 (permalink)
    FAQ

What size are the thermal pads for the thermal mod?
     1080/1070 FTW:

Baseplate (Narrow) Pad: 26mm x 110mm x 1mm +/-0.1mm thickness
    Backplate (Wide) Pad: 58mm x 110mm x 2mm +/-0.1mm thickness

Non-FTW, Non-Classified, Non-Black Edition:

Baseplate (Narrow) Pad: 26mm x 93.4mm x 1.5mm +/-0.1mm thickness
    Backplate (Wide) Pad: 58mm x 93.4mm x 2mm +/-0.1mm thickness

What thickness are the thermal pads on my graphics card?

If you choose to replace the thermal pads on your graphics card, you will want to use thermal pads which are 1.0mm thick. This is the same for all of our graphics cards regardless of the generation. Typically, thermal pads come in packs of strips and then you would want to cut them down to the length you need.

AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 11:51:03 (permalink)
    Yeah.. it since you'll need to tear the whole thing apart to clean the heatsinks anyways, ya might as well clean up all the oil you can with qtips dipped in 91-99% isopropyl alcohol. Dries fast. Anyways order your new thermal pads.. make sure there the right thickness. Tear the card apart carefully. Use the right sized screw head for the job, one that fits snug and wont slip nor wear the screw head. Hit the hardware store and get a nice set of magnetic small screw driver set in multi sizes.

Carefully remove the fan connections! Pull it apart and clean the paste off with paper towel and the alcohol. Use many qtips to get in all the small areas. I'm sure you can clean the card up close to new with just the alcohol/paper towel/qtips.

Make sure to have some good thermal paste on hand! Replace the thermal pads.

Then Do a small bead in a cross shape on the GPU die and place the heatsink down on the card carefully while lining up the screw holes. Start with the 4 main screws around the main GPU die. Start ea screw to where they just catch. Then proceed in a x formation. 2 turns per screw till it's all tight. Then move to the other screws on the board around the memory and then down the length of the card till done.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    Frosty Aviator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 12:17:22 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Nothing to worry about. Nothing a good cleaning can't fix.

Where the old cleaning method of pressurized air and a brush would've done the trick, it simply won't do now unless I just leave alone the dust that stuck to the oil.

Thanks for the awesome help guys especially Cool GTX!  I'll look for some YouTube tutorials just to make sure I'll be doing the teardown correctly but if you guys have any recommended videos, that would help me make sure I'm not watching a wrong tutorial.  Anyone here know of the "tutorial video" released by The Verge a few months ago?

Any reason for the X shape bead recommendation?  I use the grain-of-rice method for when I replace my CPU thermal paste.... and I assume using the same thermal compound would be good for the GPU too?  Or is a GPU thermal paste different?

To those that have used aftermarket thermal pads, do you still have this issue of silicone/oil leaking?  Or is it really just the type EVGA used that is to blame?

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 12:50:18 (permalink)
    GPU requires Total coverage - that is the actual Die & Not a heat spreader like on a CPU

Frosty Aviator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 15:01:32 (permalink)
    So a bigger grain of rice? 
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 15:18:30 (permalink)
    Frosty Aviator
    So a bigger grain of rice? 

Pea Size on the GPU and I would use the Spread on both the Die and Heat Sink.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 15:20:12 (permalink)
    More like a Pea size for the GPU  (bcav posted while I built my links   )

I prefer to spread the TIM - it is a more advanced method; but, ensures that it is all covered - May take practice to get it covered correctly (1 smooth wipe)

The object is full coverage of the GPU with a tiny bit extra, Not folding over & trapping Air.  The tiny bit extra ensures coverage & can squeeze out around the GPU Die "valley area"

I like MX-4 TIM ---> Good Quality, fairly cheap price, Non-conductive

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/thermal-compound-guide/

EKWB.com ---> How to correctly apply the thermal interface material

This PDF should be very Helpful ---> Installation manual for EK-FC1070/1080GTXwater block
    The EK guide is for the EK water block - However - it has some good information (do not use the EK thermal pad thickness - Unless it is the same as the EVGA)

Frosty Aviator
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 15:35:06 (permalink)
    Tons of info there, thanks!  I guess it isn't as critical as CPU thermal paste application then, where too much excess can be a bad thing?
    EVGATech_AdamB
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1930
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Oil on GPU 2019/05/08 16:35:31 (permalink)
    Since the GPU die doesn't have an integrated heat spreader like a CPU does, it's important to make sure the whole die gets covered. Having a little excess shouldn't hurt anything as long as you are using a non-conductive thermal paste.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile