Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Author
Goobers
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 147
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 05:13:03 (permalink)
Sajin
HeavyHemi
Sajin
The control panel isn't incorrect? lol. The control panel is showing two cards in 2-way sli yet it just says SLI. 

Indeed, because of course, it wouldn't need to say 2-way as that is the only possible SLI config with two GPU's. So, putting 2-way would be as redundant as your arguments. Whereas with 3 or more GPU's, additional configurations are possible. So the control panel is entirely correct and your usage is wrong as established by Nvidia.

Maybe to you it doesn't need to say 2-way, but to me it needs to say 2-way because just saying SLI makes it seem like the word SLI means 2-way.

You completely missed his(her?) point.

If you have 3 matching cards, you can have 3-way SLI... or 2-way SLI + whatever for the 3rd card. As that was what was done for the 3 GTX 1080s used in nVidia's Fun House demo PC. Ironically, that goes directly against their SLI FAQ that states you can't do 2-way SLI + 1 if all three are the same card.

So, in that case, you have to state you have it in 3-way or in 2-way. And you need to inform people exactly if you're running 2-way +1 or 3-way.

But, if you have only 2 cards... saying you have 2-way SLI means the same as just saying SLI, because you only have 2 cards and that's the minimum for SLI. Cause last I checked... you can't SLI one card.

~~~~~

This also translates to 4 cards... where you can run them in 4-way, 3-way + 1 or 2-way + 2 (theoretically anyway).

~~~~~

And if you want to argue f-ing semantics about the "definition" of SLI...

"http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/introduction-to-sli-technology-guide#2"
NVIDIA's SLI technology is an exercise in parallelism, which GPUs already do on a massive scale. Commonly, SLI systems are identified as being "n-Way SLI" configurations, and within the context of this guide: "2-Way SLI" applies to any system using two graphics cards in SLI; "3-Way SLI" for any system with three graphics cards in SLI; and "4-Way SLI" denoting any system with four graphics cards or GPUs in SLI (so as to be applicable for two dual-GPU cards in SLI.)

post edited by Goobers - 2016/05/20 05:25:52
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 08:27:17 (permalink)
Goobers 
But, if you have only 2 cards... saying you have 2-way SLI means the same as just saying SLI, because you only have 2 cards and that's the minimum for SLI. Cause last I checked... you can't SLI one card.

Exactly.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 09:52:33 (permalink)
Well, it's already been proven that Nvidia will support up to 4 way sli, so this thread is a moot point, unless Sajin changes it to Say "Nvidia's new High Bandwidth bridge only supports up to SLI." since it has been proven numerous times now that 3 and 4 way will indeed be officially supported.

Oh, and don't worry, VRAM stacking and all that false hope that has been promised is coming as well... If you still believe that. So 4 way will have super high significance when vram stacking is enabled... I mean, it was promised almost a year ago now and we have do many games that support it.. Not to mention the NVLINK thing that was giving us 8way..

People really need to stop following the rumors lol. Up to 2 way or up to SLI is both incorrect, so what does it matter?
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 10:12:36 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Well, it's already been proven that Nvidia will support up to 4 way sli, so this thread is a moot point, unless Sajin changes it to Say "Nvidia's new High Bandwidth bridge only supports up to SLI." since it has been proven numerous times now that 3 and 4 way will indeed be officially supported.

https://youtu.be/rO7pfttVAn0?t=10m41s

"Two is recommended and supported, 3 & 4 are enableable"

Just because 3 & 4-way are able to be unlocked doesn't mean they are officially supported. LDA Implicit mode which is controlled by the nvidia driver only supports a max of 2 cards. MDA/LDA Explicit modes which support 3 & 4-way are controlled by the application and not the nvidia driver. 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 10:20:35 (permalink)
If you select it in the control panel, and it is supported there, it is still supported correct? You don't have to apply a hack or registration change to the control panel correct?

I mean, the driver controls the control panel, so whether implicit or explicit, if only up to 2 way is officially supported, Nvidia is still providing the ability to enable 3 and 4. If they aren't going to actually support it, then they shouldn't enable it in my opinion. I do find it funny that Nvidia reps, on Nvidia forums, refer to it as 2 way sli.

I won't lie, I don't even enable sli all that often. I just use the bridge to provide rigidity and stability to the cards lol.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 10:38:30 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
If you select it in the control panel, and it is supported there, it is still supported correct? You don't have to apply a hack or registration change to the control panel correct? 

I mean, the driver controls the control panel, so whether implicit or explicit, if only up to 2 way is officially supported, Nvidia is still providing the ability to enable 3 and 4. If they aren't going to actually support it, then they shouldn't enable it in my opinion. I do find it funny that Nvidia reps, on Nvidia forums, refer to it as 2 way sli. 

I won't lie, I don't even enable sli all that often. I just use the bridge to provide rigidity and stability to the cards lol.

You have to use the nvidia enthusiast key (which writes a piece of code to the cards vbios) to even be able to select 3/4-way inside the nvidia control panel. You may be getting support to enabled it inside the nvidia control panel, but the support stops there, the key doesn't make 3/4-way work in LDA Implicit mode.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 11:05:56 (permalink)
Sajin
Scarlet-Tech

You have to use the nvidia enthusiast key (which writes a piece of code to the cards vbios) to even be able to select 3/4-way inside the nvidia control panel. You may be getting support to enabled it inside the nvidia control panel, but the support stops there, the key doesn't make 3/4-way work in LDA Implicit mode.

Nope. LDA implicit mode *officially* supports 2-way. The key unlocks the ability to use 3 or 4 way in LDA implicit mode. So we're back the the original: Nvidia officially supports 2-way, but 3 and 4 way can be enabled but will not be officially supported.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 11:11:01 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Sajin
Scarlet-Tech

Nope. LDA implicit mode *officially* supports 2-way. The key unlocks the ability to use 3 or 4 way in LDA implicit mode. So we're back the the original: Nvidia officially supports 2-way, but 3 and 4 way can be enabled but will not be officially supported.

Want to show me exactly where nvidia states the key unlocks the ability to use 3/4-way in LDA Implicit mode?
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 11:18:11 (permalink)
Sajin
HeavyHemi
Sajin
Scarlet-Tech

Want to show me exactly where nvidia states the key unlocks the ability to use 3/4-way in LDA Implicit mode?

Watch the video posted. It starts around the 7:30 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO7pfttVAn0

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 11:30:06 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Sajin
HeavyHemi
Sajin
Scarlet-Tech

All that was stated was that you can still config your machine to do 3/4-way. That doesn't tell me if 3/4-way is *officially* supported in LDA Implicit mode.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 12:04:25 (permalink)
Sajin
HeavyHemi
Sajin
HeavyHemi
Sajin
Scarlet-Tech

All that was stated was that you can still config your machine to do 3/4-way. That doesn't tell me if 3/4-way is *officially* supported in LDA Implicit mode.

You're waffling. Pick a story and stick with it. You claimed ONLY 2-way can be enabled in LDA implicit.  That is wrong you can enable and use (for bench marking as explicitly stated or games). We've already established that currently, they are only *officially* supporting 2-way.  It's time to move on.

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 12:39:04 (permalink)
HeavyHemi

You're waffling. Pick a story and stick with it. You claimed ONLY 2-way can be enabled in LDA implicit.  That is wrong you can enable and use (for bench marking as explicitly stated or games). We've already established that currently, they are only *officially* supporting 2-way.  It's time to move on.

Shows two are *officially* supported. Unlocking 3/4-way in the control panel means squat if you're limited to 2. End of story.

Games/Benchmarking will fall under the MDA/LDA Explicit modes unless the developers of those said apps choose to go LDA Implicit.
post edited by Sajin - 2016/05/20 12:47:00
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 12:52:07 (permalink)
Sajin
HeavyHemi

Shows two are *officially* supported. Unlocking 3/4-way in the control panel means squat if you're limited to 2. End of story.

Games/Benchmarking will fall under the MDA/LDA Explicit modes unless the developers of those said apps choose to go LDA Implicit.

Indeed. You've completely agreed with everything I've posted. The video makes perfectly clear as stated by the Nvidia rep the context of the number of GPU's supported and how. I suppose he could be wrong, but I'll take his expansive comments over yours.
There's no shame in being wrong. The shame is in refusing to admit it.

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 12:56:49 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Sajin
HeavyHemi

Indeed. You've completely agreed with everything I've posted. The video makes perfectly clear as stated by the Nvidia rep the context of the number of GPU's supported and how. I suppose he could be wrong, but I'll take his expansive comments over yours.

Only thing is I wasn't wrong. As show above in the pic you're limited to 2-way sli when in lda implicit mode. 
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 13:42:01 (permalink)
Sajin
HeavyHemi
Sajin
HeavyHemi

Only thing is I wasn't wrong. As show above in the pic you're limited to 2-way sli when in lda implicit mode. 

Yes, you are. As explained by the Nvidia rep you can use 3 and 4 way in LDA implicit mode. It is exactly the same with as with Maxwell and Kepler with regarding developer support. This is nothing new. The chart is only a representation of what they are currently officially supporting and recommend. He explicitly states you can use 3 and 4 way for benching and games. He even goes into detail explaining why 3 and 4 way are not enabled by default. See prior post regarding shame. I won't bother replying to your next message as I predict it will be more of the same.

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 13:46:17 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Sajin
HeavyHemi
Sajin
HeavyHemi

Yes, you are. As explained by the Nvidia rep you can use 3 and 4 way in LDA implicit mode. It is exactly the same with as with Maxwell and Kepler with regarding developer support. This is nothing new. The chart is only a representation of what they are currently officially supporting and recommend. He explicitly states you can use 3 and 4 way for benching and games. He even goes into detail explaining why 3 and 4 way are not enabled by default. See prior post regarding shame. I won't bother replying to your next message as I predict it will be more of the same.

He never stated that 3/4-way will work in lda implicit mode. All he said was that you can still config your machine to do 3/4-way. That doesn't mean it will work in lda implicit mode. 
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/20 15:02:05 (permalink)
alha
mike406
Sajin
mike406
Gonna just quote JayzTwoCents I think it sums up this whole situation well, "Nothing is more frustrating than people that pretend to know [insert alternative word for crap] that they really don't." NVIDIA has never really truly supported (or wanted to for that matter) SLI past dual cards as it's always been a thing that had much room for improvement. Gotta love all the reporters out there crying wolf since the first millisecond this was uttered.

So nvidia just adds dual sli fingers to their cards for no reason? Interesting.

Because tons of people wanted it, yes. Even Jay in his latest video said it was something they never wanted or technically recommended doing. Just because it's there doesn't mean they were all for its existence.

I'm sorry, and not trying to be an azz when I say this, but that makes absolutely no sense to me. They are the ones in complete control of it, from the initial design specs to the final product. If they didn't really want it, they didn't have to build it the way they did. It seems to me a bit of a cop out. "Weeeeelll, we Really don't want to do X, but because a significant enough number of our consumers demand it, we'll put it in, but we're not going to officially approve of it, or support it in any way. So take your toys, and shut up, and if you can't figure out a way to make it work for you, tough." Hmm. Interesting is an appropriate expression in this instance.

I do agree with most of what you're saying, especially with the "cop out". This whole thing was a way to allow Nvidia to wash their hands out of 3x and 4x SLI, and leave it to the developers to handle. The only problem is that most of the developers do not and will not care about 3x and 4x in the later years (they probably don't even care now), because the majority of consumers are on regular SLI. Even with that, a lot more are still rocking one GPU. That's what I see wrong with this whole thing.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
dmoheban
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1506
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/21 14:06:38 (permalink)
Hi Guys,

I found this on a PCPER article I was speed reading:

With GTX 1080 now recommending that you use BOTH SLI connectors on the card for 2-Way SLI configurations, what happens to 3- and 4-card SLI? By default, NVIDA will only be supporting two GPUs in SLI and 3- and 4-Way SLI configurations “are no longer recommended.” Why?

As games have evolved, it is becoming increasingly difficult for these SLI modes to provide beneficial performance scaling for end users. For instance, many games become bottlenecked by the CPU when running 3-Way and 4-Way SLI, and games are increasingly using techniques that make it very difficult to extract frame-to-frame parallelism.

But there is a catch! Even though it’s not recommend, NVIDIA will still allow for 3-Way and 4-Way configurations with GTX 1080 through the use of something called an “Enthusiast Key.”

For this class of user we have developed an Enthusiast Key that can be downloaded off of NVIDIA’s website and loaded into an individual’s GPU. This process involves:

1.Run an app locally to generate a signature for your GPU

2.Request an Enthusiast Key from an upcoming NVIDIA Enthusiast Key website

3.Download your key

4.Install your key to unlock the 3 and 4-way function

They also mentioned that (I think) LED SLI bridges have more bandwidth than traditional ribbon bridges but max out after 4K resolution. Does that mean you could use your LED EVGA bridge on a 1080 I don't know.. anyone know?

You can find that article here:
PCPER 1080 review

Thanks

Associate Code: K8XL098LGS5O4WZ
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/21 14:11:15 (permalink)
Nice to know this:

Thanks

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/21 16:28:23 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Nice to know this:

Thanks

There's a note missing from the bottom of that chart that says even the standard bridge will work in all those modes. But, the performance is supposed to be better with the HB bridges.

Hopper64
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 735
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/21 21:13:43 (permalink)
Nice to know my EVGA and Asus LED bridges will work.

Asus Maximus Z690E
i9 12900KS
GSkill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5RK
Samsung 980 Pro
Corsair AX1600i                                                   
Asus Strix 3090 OC
EKWB Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 and VTX 160
Creative SB X4
Asus ROG XG349C
RandyRick
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 446
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/22 03:57:12 (permalink)
Why would anyone not buy a new double width bridge for use with 1080 SLI? After spending ~ $1500 or more on the cards, then throttle them back over $50 for a new bridge? And unless I heard wrong, force some traffic onto the PCI bus instead of getting much faster card-card communication?

Hopper64
SSC Member
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/22 05:54:37 (permalink)
I'll buy one when available. What I have will work until that point.

Asus Maximus Z690E
i9 12900KS
Samsung 980 Pro
Corsair AX1600i                                                   
Asus Strix 3090 OC
Creative SB X4
Asus ROG XG349C
Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 13061
  • Ribbons : 34
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/22 06:01:53 (permalink)
As I mentioned in another post and in a review by Guru3D the lighted version SLI bridges can and will work at the higher transfer frequency of the HB SLI bridge.
Hopper64
SSC Member
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/22 06:22:01 (permalink)
Yes, and I'm not gaming at 5K or with a surround configuration. So the LED bridges will work fine. I'll probably pick up a HB SLI bridge though when they are available.

Asus Maximus Z690E
i9 12900KS
Samsung 980 Pro
Corsair AX1600i                                                   
Asus Strix 3090 OC
Creative SB X4
Asus ROG XG349C
RandyRick
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 446
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/22 08:02:16 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
As I mentioned in another post and in a review by Guru3D the lighted version SLI bridges can and will work at the higher transfer frequency of the HB SLI bridge.

I think I remember Tom  (mumble) of nvidia during the pcper livestream showing some slides that had the HB bridge with twice the data bandwidth of the old sli bridges. If I run accross that again, I'll post a link. 

edit. the link has already been posted here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO7pfttVAn0
I just watched the beginning of that segment 3 times and its not 100% clear to me if the new HB bridge really can transfer more data than the LED bridge. He did say the HB bridge and LED bridge both work at higher frequency than the old cable bridge. He alluded to more bandwidth on the HB bridge though. Ie double the data lines. I'll admit there was a lot of hand waving just like at the product intro, that left me wondering what it was I just heard. 

But I believe what I heard was HB bridge and LED bridge both the same speed. But HB bridge transfers more data at that speed which is important for higher res displays.

But I wouldn't bet my next bag of peanuts on what I think I heard.

Somewhere though there is a talk that lays out a HB bridge schematically and talks about what the additional data lines of the HB bridge really do for you.

post edited by RandyRick - 2016/05/22 08:30:56
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/22 14:41:38 (permalink)
Zuhl3156

Not according to this post.
compuclinic
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 121
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/06/01 10:38:07 (permalink)
Sajin I don't know how you do it.   :D  You do free work for public knowledge and people give you crap.  smh  lol 

Well this fellow nerd thanks you.  

2020 Pandemic build.
10900k @ 5.3 ghz All core  1.34v -(100 sp rating) 
Asus Maximus XII Formula -  EVGA RTX 3090 FTW   -  CORSAIR 1200i -  G.Skill Trident Royal z 4100 @cl15 -16-16-16 -  
2tb Corsair PCiE gen4,   1tb Samsung 960,   3x Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB 

Heatkiller Pro 4 -  Optimus XL Waterblock   EK 360 PE,  EK 360 XE, EK 480SE Radiators with a D5 pump.  

Samsung G9 Odyssey x2,  LG 34GK950F 144hz 1440p  and its 2560x1080 predecessor.    
Asus Chakram  -  Asus Strix Flare   -  
Sennheiser PC -350   Logitech Z906 5.1 
RGB to the max for the first time. 
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/06/01 10:54:04 (permalink)
compuclinic
Sajin I don't know how you do it.   :D  You do free work for public knowledge and people give you crap.  smh  lol 

Well this fellow nerd thanks you.  

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/06/08 23:08:16 (permalink)

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile