Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 7 of 9
Author
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/17 11:40:00 (permalink)
this is a dx12 issue

as jayz said on dx11 3-way and 4-way sli are not affected

developers wanted MORE control over SLi - hence MDA mode and LDA modes

Its the Software developers that wanted this so they are responsible for this - and so should they be- since SLi basically WAS a developer/OS optimization issue
now they have more control over methods and optimizations - Nvidia only has to provide 2 way optimized ...most users don't go beyond 2 cards(sli) and maybe physx
most games don't scale well beyond 2 way anyways

you also have microsoft as a contributing factor - dx12 - win 10 - another person/company for developers to figure out how to handle 3-way and 4 way optimizations with 
more people more issues

now the developers can determine they own way to optimize dx12  Sli above 2 way - without Nvidia and with Microsoft only
remember dx12 brought new features like unified memory

gets the extra person/company out of the room...easier to make progress

furthermore CPU bottlenecks are the issues coming up - gpu tech is overwhelming cpu tech and are hitting bottle necks at the cpu
and it's only gonna get worse 

as jay said his 5960x was bottlenecked

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/17 11:59:49 (permalink)
Xavier Zepherious
this is a dx12 issue

as jayz said on dx11 3-way and 4-way sli are not affected

developers wanted MORE control over SLi - hence MDA mode and LDA modes

Its the Software developers that wanted this so they are responsible for this - and so should they be- since SLi basically WAS a developer/OS optimization issue
now they have more control over methods and optimizations - Nvidia only has to provide 2 way optimized ...most users don't go beyond 2 cards(sli) and maybe physx.

Correct developers do want more control, however, nvidia has clearly chosen to only support 2 gpu's in lda implicit mode. 

Xavier Zepherious
most games don't scale well beyond 2 way anyways

Incorrect. It depends on the resolution you're running.

Xavier Zepherious
furthermore CPU bottlenecks are the issues coming up - gpu tech is overwhelming cpu tech and are hitting bottle necks at the cpu
and it's only gonna get worse 

as jay said his 5960x was bottlenecked

Incorrect again. Again this depends on the resolution you're running. Jay was talking about his valley benchmark scores @ 1080p.
post edited by Sajin - 2016/05/17 14:04:50
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/17 12:22:59 (permalink)
In LDA Mode, each GPU’s memory can be linked together to appear as one large pool of memory to the developer (although there are certain corner case exceptions regarding peer-to-peer memory); however, there is a performance penalty if the data needed resides in the other GPU’s memory, since the memory is accessed through inter-GPU peer-to-peer communication (like PCIe). In MDA Mode, each GPU’s memory is allocated independently of the other GPU: each GPU cannot directly access the other’s memory. LDA is intended for multi-GPU systems that have GPUs that are similar to each other, while MDA Mode has fewer restrictions—discrete GPUs can be paired with integrated GPUs, or with discrete GPUs from another manufacturer—but MDA Mode requires the developer to more carefully manage all of the operations that are needed for the GPUs to communicate with each other. By default, GeForce GTX 1080 SLI supports up to two GPUs. 3-Way and 4-Way SLI modes are no longer recommended. As games have evolved, it is becoming increasingly difficult for these SLI modes to provide beneficial performance scaling for end users. For instance, many games become bottlenecked by the CPU when running 3-Way and 4-Way SLI, and games are increasingly using techniques that make it very difficult to extract frame-to-frame parallelism. Of course, systems will still be built targeting other Multi-GPU software models including...

in fact some games will continue to deliver great scaling beyond two GPUs.

excerpts from
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review,4.html 

it will only get worse... volta will definitely be a problem for cpu's because Intel is not offering big scale increases

if there's bottlenecking on two pascals then one volta will do it 

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Johnny_Utah
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4546
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/17 12:27:05 (permalink)
Exactly Sajin.  With resolutions some of us are running, the last thing we worry about is a CPU bottle-neck.

donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/17 12:41:59 (permalink)
Tom Petersen just said updating your firmware of your 1080 will allow 3 way and 4 way sli.
post edited by donta1979 - 2016/05/19 18:56:20

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/17 14:06:43 (permalink)
Updated post #182.
mike406
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 904
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/17 17:13:50 (permalink)
Gonna just quote JayzTwoCents I think it sums up this whole situation well, "Nothing is more frustrating than people that pretend to know [insert alternative word for crap] that they really don't." NVIDIA has never really truly supported (or wanted to for that matter) SLI past dual cards as it's always been a thing that had much room for improvement. Gotta love all the reporters out there crying wolf since the first millisecond this was uttered.
post edited by mike406 - 2016/05/17 17:16:35

Associate Code: 6KIMUJ06W8WFDR5 (5-10% off your purchase)              

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/17 17:30:04 (permalink)
mike406
Gonna just quote JayzTwoCents I think it sums up this whole situation well, "Nothing is more frustrating than people that pretend to know [insert alternative word for crap] that they really don't." NVIDIA has never really truly supported (or wanted to for that matter) SLI past dual cards as it's always been a thing that had much room for improvement. Gotta love all the reporters out there crying wolf since the first millisecond this was uttered.

So nvidia just adds dual sli fingers to their cards for no reason? Interesting.
mike406
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 904
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/17 17:44:17 (permalink)
Sajin
mike406

Because tons of people wanted it, yes. Even Jay in his latest video said it was something they never wanted or technically recommended doing. Just because it's there doesn't mean they were all for its existence.

Associate Code: 6KIMUJ06W8WFDR5 (5-10% off your purchase)              

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/17 17:46:13 (permalink)
mike406
Sajin
mike406

Because tons of people wanted it, yes. Even Jay in his latest video said it was something they never wanted or technically recommended doing. Just because it's there doesn't mean they were all for its existence.

Guess they're sending the wrong signals then.
alha
  • Total Posts : 81
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/18 18:45:03 (permalink)
mike406
Sajin
mike406

Because tons of people wanted it, yes. Even Jay in his latest video said it was something they never wanted or technically recommended doing. Just because it's there doesn't mean they were all for its existence.

I'm sorry, and not trying to be an azz when I say this, but that makes absolutely no sense to me. They are the ones in complete control of it, from the initial design specs to the final product. If they didn't really want it, they didn't have to build it the way they did. It seems to me a bit of a cop out. "Weeeeelll, we Really don't want to do X, but because a significant enough number of our consumers demand it, we'll put it in, but we're not going to officially approve of it, or support it in any way. So take your toys, and shut up, and if you can't figure out a way to make it work for you, tough." Hmm. Interesting is an appropriate expression in this instance.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/18 18:51:34 (permalink)
alha
mike406
Sajin
mike406

Because tons of people wanted it, yes. Even Jay in his latest video said it was something they never wanted or technically recommended doing. Just because it's there doesn't mean they were all for its existence.

I'm sorry, and not trying to be an azz when I say this, but that makes absolutely no sense to me. They are the ones in complete control of it, from the initial design specs to the final product. If they didn't really want it, they didn't have to build it the way they did. It seems to me a bit of a cop out. "Weeeeelll, we Really don't want to do X, but because a significant enough number of our consumers demand it, we'll put it in, but we're not going to officially approve of it, or support it in any way. So take your toys, and shut up, and if you can't figure out a way to make it work for you, tough." Hmm. Interesting is an appropriate expression in this instance.

Exactly.
DustoMan
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 316
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/18 18:57:08 (permalink)
Okay doods... here is it from the horse's mouth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO7pfttVAn0
(This is from PC Perspecitive's livestream yesterday with a guy from Nvidia. PCPer cut out the portion in the link that is just about SLI.)

Dusto
dustoman (at) gmail (dot) com

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/18 19:54:02 (permalink)
As I said a week ago...
While this is true, they also stated that the current SLI bridges will also work, but claim lower performance with them. The key term, which we've heard in the past is 'officially support'. This is the same as they claimed with the 700 series which someone pointed out prior which did work in 4-way...but not *officially*. That doesn't mean the 1080 will work in 3 or 4 way, but I wouldn't abandon all hope until it is demonstrated to be the case. On the other hand, this makes sense. As GPUs get more powerful, relative to the rest of the system, the advantages of SLI decrease even more drastically past 2 GPUs. Some may recall there were several scenarios where 4-way actually had negative scaling.

mic drop...

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

sam nelson
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 365
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/18 21:23:08 (permalink)
well i just watched the nvida vid on the 1080 and sli and they are being a big ****.  cut the bull out of all the fiance talk .   you can run 3 and 4 way sli but with old sli briges with the lower  bandwith or 2 cards with the new beige with the new doubles bandwith. so why not just make us all happy and build a new beige with the double bandwith  . even if you had to add a 3rd tab on the card to do it instead of the two that they come with. so like i said going to wate for the titan and 4/way and brige type that comes out before i buy , and if it's old brige then it's by to nv ida and i go amd..... i will have all the bell and wiles lol or i go where i can get them . see to me it are monny they want us to give them . so see we have the power we all just have to all say the same thing lol
CAxVIPER
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2994
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 05:04:20 (permalink)
sam nelson
well i just watched the nvida vid on the 1080 and sli and they are being a big ****.  cut the bull out of all the fiance talk .   you can run 3 and 4 way sli but with old sli briges with the lower  bandwith or 2 cards with the new beige with the new doubles bandwith. so why not just make us all happy and build a new beige with the double bandwith  . even if you had to add a 3rd tab on the card to do it instead of the two that they come with. so like i said going to wate for the titan and 4/way and brige type that comes out before i buy , and if it's old brige then it's by to nv ida and i go amd..... i will have all the bell and wiles lol or i go where i can get them . see to me it are monny they want us to give them . so see we have the power we all just have to all say the same thing lol

Did you bother to watch any of the videos or read any explanation? NVIDIA clearly explains why they are only officially supporting 2 way SLI for pascal. You can do 6 way SLI if you want but it is up to the game game developers to support it. Assuming you need 2 fingers to support the HB they would have to add 6 more fingers for 4 way SLI. 

Nvidia is simply saying if game devs don't want to screw with doing the work for optimizing SLI they will handle if they follow their guidelines. At this time they don't feel there is enough of a performance gain over the 2 way SLI using the HB bridge. 

For anyone wanting them here are a few SLI benchmarks: 
https://youtu.be/TQYsl360v1A?t=4m22s

stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 09:48:11 (permalink)
CAxVIPER
sam nelson

Did you bother to watch any of the videos or read any explanation? NVIDIA clearly explains why they are only officially supporting 2 way SLI for pascal. You can do 6 way SLI if you want but it is up to the game game developers to support it. Assuming you need 2 fingers to support the HB they would have to add 6 more fingers for 4 way SLI. 

Nvidia is simply saying if game devs don't want to screw with doing the work for optimizing SLI they will handle if they follow their guidelines. At this time they don't feel there is enough of a performance gain over the 2 way SLI using the HB bridge. 

Everyone knows game devs could care less about 3x or 4x, for the most part. So we might as well kiss 3x or 4x good bye.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 15:32:04 (permalink)
stalinx20
CAxVIPER
sam nelson

Everyone knows game devs could care less about 3x or 4x, for the most part. So we might as well kiss 3x or 4x good bye.

+1
The.Imperial
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 18:30:28 (permalink)
Just wanted to add .02 regarding title - really poorly crafted, I only clicked because of how confused it made me. "Nvidia will only officially support 2 card SLI Configurations". fify

Outties
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 18:37:46 (permalink)
The.Imperial
Just wanted to add .02 regarding title - really poorly crafted, I only clicked because of how confused it made me. "Nvidia will only officially support 2 card SLI Configurations". fify

Outties

Looks like you need to go tell nvidia to fix their control panel too. 
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 18:39:23 (permalink)
stalinx20
CAxVIPER
sam nelson

If game developers won't bother with 3 or 4 way SLI compatibility, then Nvidia's stance makes even more sense. Nvidia isn't responsible for a game supporting SLI in any mode. That is up to the game engine and the developers. Nvidia does work with them. Folks can whinge about it all they want. It doesn't change the facts.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 18:39:25 (permalink)
stalinx20
CAxVIPER
sam nelson

If game developers won't bother with 3 or 4 way SLI compatibility, then Nvidia's stance makes even more sense. Nvidia isn't responsible for a game supporting SLI in any mode. That is up to the game engine and the developers. Nvidia does work with them. Folks can whinge about it all they want. It doesn't change the facts.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 18:42:22 (permalink)
Sajin
The.Imperial

Outties

Seriously, your title is click bait. It should read, 'Nvidia to officially support 2-way SLI on GTX 1080'.

The.Imperial
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 18:46:01 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Sajin
The.Imperial

Outties

Seriously, your title is click bait. It should read, 'Nvidia to officially support 2-way SLI on GTX 1080'.

Yeah, better than mine by a bit. Their control panel isn't incorrect, since the 1080 hasn't even been released yet. At the moment, their SLI does support 2+ cards in SLI.
Either clickbait, or just poor reading comprehension/syntax. 
donta1979
Primarch
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 18:50:05 (permalink)
Once again Tom Petersen @ NVIDIA on PCPerspective live episode the other day said with a firmware update it will unlock 3-way and 4-way SLI for those that want it, and they will have the bridges for it. Those that use 3 way and 4 way SLI are the minority, but if you just have to have that 3rd or 4th card they are not going to stop you.

Here stop making it an issue it is not. From the Horses mouth.

post edited by donta1979 - 2016/05/19 18:54:26

Heatware   

My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 18:54:13 (permalink)
The control panel isn't incorrect? lol. The control panel is showing two cards in 2-way sli yet it just says SLI. 
donta1979
Primarch
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 18:55:17 (permalink)
Sajin
The control panel isn't incorrect? lol. The control panel is showing two cards in 2-way sli yet it just says SLI. 

There is one driver out, the review driver that nvidia has only given to the reviewers, it is not up anywhere as of yet that I know of. Calm your jets, the card is not out yet, it will be and it should make a ton of people happy.

Heatware   

My Build
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 18:55:20 (permalink)
donta1979
Once again Tom Petersen @ NVIDIA on PCPerspective live episode the other day said with a firmware update it will unlock 3-way and 4-way SLI for those that want it, and they will have the bridges for it. Those that use 3 way and 4 way SLI are the minority, but if you just have to have that 3rd or 4th card they are not going to stop you.

Here stop making it an issue it is not. From the Horses mouth.

Nice informative video, thanks for posting something useful Donta,

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 21:31:44 (permalink)
Sajin

Indeed, because of course, it wouldn't need to say 2-way as that is the only possible SLI config with two GPU's. So, putting 2-way would be as redundant as your arguments. Whereas with 3 or more GPU's, additional configurations are possible. So the control panel is entirely correct and your usage is wrong as established by Nvidia.

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Nvidia only supports up to SLI on 10 series cards 2016/05/19 23:26:20 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Sajin

Indeed, because of course, it wouldn't need to say 2-way as that is the only possible SLI config with two GPU's. So, putting 2-way would be as redundant as your arguments. Whereas with 3 or more GPU's, additional configurations are possible. So the control panel is entirely correct and your usage is wrong as established by Nvidia.

Maybe to you it doesn't need to say 2-way, but to me it needs to say 2-way because just saying SLI makes it seem like the word SLI means 2-way.
post edited by Sajin - 2016/05/19 23:30:23
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 7 of 9
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile