EVGA

Normal Operation? (EVGA G3 550W)

Author
hansuke
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/09/16 23:21:56 (permalink)
Brand new PSU installed and I noticed that the fan rotates just a little bit while starting and when the computer shuts off. Both times it makes an audible dinging sound like if someone where to strike a metal rod on a grate. It's silent as it should be during operation as eco mode is on.

I have the eco switch on, but with the eco switch off, I noticed that it makes the same sound and the fan starts up when turning on/off the PC as if the switch makes no difference. Also, if I start/stop the fan manually by flipping the eco switch, the dinging noise is absent. The dinging noise only happens when the computer is turned on or off. Regardless of the eco switch position.

When I first installed and had it working, It did not make this noise. However, on the 2nd day of use, it has started to make this dinging sound.

Is this normal for this power supply? Or did I get a slightly defective unit?

3 Replies Related Threads

maxfly
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Normal Operation? (EVGA G3 550W) 2017/09/17 12:38:17 (permalink)
    it sounds like the fan is hitting something(im sure you deduced that on your own haha). i would get a flashlight and look around the interior of the psu casing and see if anything unusual is in there hitting your fan. if you do happen to see something dont try to take the psu apart or youll void your warranty. try using a piece of wire or really small pliers to get it out.
     i swear there was a thread about the same exact thing not to long ago.

I7 8086K- MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC-2x GTX 980 TI
    4x8GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000c19
    Samsung 500GB 960 EVO NVMe M.2
    WD Blue 1TB- EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    Thermaltake X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
    EK Supremacy EVO Nickel- EK-FC980 GTX TI x2
    XSPC RX360- HWLabs SR2 420- HWLabs GTR 240

hansuke
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Normal Operation? (EVGA G3 550W) 2017/09/17 12:43:57 (permalink)
    maxfly
    it sounds like the fan is hitting something(im sure you deduced that on your own haha). i would get a flashlight and look around the interior of the psu casing and see if anything unusual is in there hitting your fan. if you do happen to see something dont try to take the psu apart or youll void your warranty. try using a piece of wire or really small pliers to get it out.
     i swear there was a thread about the same exact thing not to long ago.

I thought so too, but that probably isn't the case.

As I said in the original post, the sound only persists on boot up/shutdown. If the fan isn't moving during operation and I just switch it on manually using the eco switch, no sound happens. The sound only happens on boot up or when shutting down the PC.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Normal Operation? (EVGA G3 550W) 2017/09/17 14:53:30 (permalink)
    Could be a relay making noise.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile