EVGA

New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation.

Author
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 135
2018/07/05 13:36:23 (permalink)
I believe this need to be clarified by EVGA.

Any damages to the components, hardware and/or assembly of the Products including but not limited to damages caused as a result of neglect, abuse, accidents, misuse, or unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress (including due to uninterrupted use of the Products, or use of the Products for blockchain processing, cryptocurrency mining, or similar purposes).

https://www.evga.com/warranty/graphics-cards/

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

21 Replies Related Threads

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/05 15:18:53 (permalink)
    Hmmm, I would like clarity on this as well please. Is this from the updated warranty terms 5/25/18? 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/05 16:19:46 (permalink)
    Your thread title seems to make a statement, I would think it should be restated as a question.

As EVGA still sponsors Folding --> https://www.evga.com/folding/  --> it would appear to be an acceptable use.

As stated - EVGA would need to clarify their position

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11075
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/05 17:23:56 (permalink)
    What about EVGA's crunching team and crunching BOINC projects?

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/05 18:56:42 (permalink)
    This thread was opened separate to a thread that at least two evga techs replied to stating that the use of the card in this manner would not void the warranty, and that they have no way to track powered on time, so this was a false alarm.
    Ranmacanada
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 992
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/05 19:50:58 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    This thread was opened separate to a thread that at least two evga techs replied to stating that the use of the card in this manner would not void the warranty, and that they have no way to track powered on time, so this was a false alarm.

Yet! haha

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    AMD Ryzen 2700
    Fold for the CURE!
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

STR1D3R_2
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1430
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/05 20:44:53 (permalink)
    Fold n Crunch on Ladies and Gentlemen
    Nothing to see here

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
    EVGATech_GabrielT
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1104
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/06 00:33:17 (permalink)
    I can confirm that the entire time that I have been here at EVGA that I have never seen any damage to any PC components from the results of running folding@home.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/06 02:34:16 (permalink)
    EVGATech_GabrielT
    I can confirm that the entire time that I have been here at EVGA that I have never seen any damage to any PC components from the results of running folding@home.

I've never had a pc component damaged due to folding or mining. I understand from another Tech that posted here, it's about people user pci-e risers that are low end quality, burn up and can cause damage to several items when that happens. I don't run any of my graphics cards from a riser, so I should be good?
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/06 10:47:41 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Your thread title seems to make a statement, I would think it should be restated as a question.

As EVGA still sponsors Folding --> https://www.evga.com/folding/  --> it would appear to be an acceptable use.

As stated - EVGA would need to clarify their position

It's framed as a statement because the Warranty is a statement.  The warranty statement in plain English would include folding. It is irrelevant what a 'tech' posts here. The warranty is the legal document.  
    "Any damages to the components, hardware and/or assembly of the Products including but not limited to damages caused as a result of neglect, abuse, accidents, misuse, or unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress (including due to uninterrupted use of the Products, or use of the Products for blockchain processing, cryptocurrency mining, or similar purposes)."

People should really care about the eroding of your protections. It was not long ago EVGA was Limited Lifetime. We're now down to paying for more than the industry standard 3 years. EVGA gained their market share and good press in large part because of their warranty and customer service. It's eroding. Goodwill only makes up for so much. Food for thought.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/06 11:49:20 (permalink)
    EVGA does NOT officially support mining of any sort.

EVGA Does support Folding, and has for quite a while.

Yes, the wording should be better, but there is a clear and obvious difference.

And a few techs posting is absolutely the word of EVGA. Screen shots, posts, and proof that they have stated as such is EVGA’s word. Hopefully they will update the wording, but for now, I think the answers provided to you have been sufficient until better wording is found.

Moderators and guests are not to be taken as EVGA’s word, but as we can see, people take it that way all over the internet. Hell, people thought that EVGA could track hours usage/powered on, because “an evga tech said” and they didnt have any proof of their claim.

I have been just as critical of EVGA recently as you. EVGA is shifting toward the ASUS styling, which is why I have replaced nearly every EVGA product I own with other brands. I have one GPU, and 3 PSUs left to go before I have everything replaced. If EVGA wants to be like everyone else, what is the appeal to buying EVGA outside of the stepup program?
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102251
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/06 12:29:32 (permalink)
    The folding program from EVGA is still in place. In my personal opinion (and not that of EVGA) this validates that folding is not affected by the new warranty.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/06 12:36:15 (permalink)

See Post by  EVGATech_JoseC       https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2834118

(excerpt)
    If anyone has questions regarding warranty and what is covered and what is not covered, they are always welcome to give us a call at 1.888.881.3842, email us at support@evga.com or drop me a pm.

-Jose C.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/06 12:43:03 (permalink)
    I think that if Folding was causing a lot of damaged cards we would be hearing about it. Folding is not some new thing and history has shown it does not damage cards.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/06 13:27:23 (permalink)
    EVGA has a dedicated web space given to Cryptocurrency, and BOINC crunching, so does that mean they support that too? Looks like it.
    But well NO it does not according to its new warranty policy.  Running a GPU 24/7 unit-erupted is not supported.
    And if they do not support them, then they should make a sticky in bold letters at the top of both of those web spaces saying so.
    Well maybe since a tech says folding never hurt a card, is not a binding contract, a warranty policy is.
    https://forums.evga.com/Cryptocurrency-f94.aspx
    https://forums.evga.com/CrunchingEVGA-f79.aspx

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/06 13:48:50 (permalink)
    Actually EVGA needs to update the reason why a warranty would be denied. There is no difference between folding and mining. The issue EVGA is having is people using pci-e risers and these risers are burning up and taking out other components when this happens.

EVGATech_JoseC

I hope this clears things up. If you are crypto currency mining, you are probably using PCIE riser cables that are being powered through SATA or Molex power connectors. Those rails are not meant for that sort of workload on the power supply to the graphics card, SATA and Molex were never intended to power a graphics card, a failure is bound to happen. These sorts of failures usually lead to damage to the power supply, graphics card and or motherboard.  PCIE riser cable failures could also lead to this sort of damage, those usually end up scorching the PCIE connector on the graphics card and motherboard as well. So for the most part, people are covered under warranty. See images related.

If anyone has questions regarding warranty and what is covered and what is not covered, they are always welcome to give us a call at 1.888.881.3842, email us at support@evga.com or drop me a pm.

-Jose C.

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2834118
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/06 13:57:27 (permalink)
    Thats is fair enough, but EVGA needs to get this kind of info out in a clear concise manner that is easy to find.
    Maybe an asterisk* with foot notes in the warranty wording so it is clear as to what they meant.
    people who buy the cards, not all of them come to this forum and read every thread. I did not see that post and I am here every day.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/06 16:08:10 (permalink)
    bill1024
    EVGA has a dedicated web space given to Cryptocurrency, and BOINC crunching, so does that mean they support that too? Looks like it.
    But well NO it does not according to its new warranty policy.  Running a GPU 24/7 unit-erupted is not supported.
    And if they do not support them, then they should make a sticky in bold letters at the top of both of those web spaces saying so.
    Well maybe since a tech says folding never hurt a card, is not a binding contract, a warranty policy is.
    https://forums.evga.com/Cryptocurrency-f94.aspx
    https://forums.evga.com/CrunchingEVGA-f79.aspx

I personally wouldn't rank dedicated forum space as the same as dedicated web space.

Try www.evga.com/folding/ for example. I havent seen one for crunching or mining on EVGA main page.

The forums are user based. That is important to remember.

Look through the Cryptocurrency section. Set it to show every post from the beginning of time. Look for any thread started by an EVGATech. There are none. EVGATechs may have replied to already created threads, but since December 23, 2013, not once has an EVGA Tech started a thread in that forum. There only 7 pages on desktop to go through.

Looking through Crunching, it seems to be the same. EVGATechs pop in and help out in posts, but no topics started by EVGATech accounts. Afterburner made the first post on November 16, 2011. There is only 20 pages on desktop to scroll through, which is pretty quick to go through. I am actually surprised that EVGA doesnt have an official dupport thread. My only guess would be that the team was a user idea, and the team name was set as Crunching@EVGA by the users, so EVGA created a forum for the users to utilize. Crunching is also mostly a CPU program.

While EVGA makes motherboards, they do not make CPU’s. Motherboard components are less likely to wear out compared to a GPU it would seem. EVGA may not make a GPU core, but the core is directly attached to their product without being removable. The warranty applies to motherboards the same as it does Graphics Cards. How many people utilize EVGA motherboards for mining and crypto currency? I bet the number is small compared, since they dont have the dedicated support or mining boards like other companies have.

Now look at Folding. Post #1 stickied. Post #8 stickied. Yearly posts for the current post of folding. I’m not scrolling through 167 pages for folding though. You can get EVGA bucks for folding, but mot for crunching or cryptomining. You can even get bucks for posting useful things and buying products and trading registration of a new product through affiliate code swaps. Forum started October 20, 2009. Since it started in 2009, and folding shows 11 years of official support, that would mean that support was official before this forum was up, but I wasn’t around for the legacy forum, so there may have been other threads prior to 2009. I suspect that the Folding@Home TeamEVGA was set up by a few users and also garnered direct support by EVGA as well.

Either way, there is a stark difference in outright support versus forum space.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but those are my thoughts on this. I would like to see EVGA show some actual dedicated support for the crunching crowd. But until it has the same support that folding has, I would say it is user based and driven, not dedicated support from EVGA. EVGA_RobB, EVGAweb_ShaneD, or maybe EVGATech_LeeM would be great people to ping to see if Maybe EVGA would give the crunching crowd some sort of truly dedicated webspace, instead of forum space only. Just an official post stating EVGA’s appreciation would even be great, but www.evga.com/crunching would be a great great dedication to the members that crunch.

Lets not forget, the major difference between cryptomining and folding/crunching is money. Folding may get you 10 EVGA bucks and crunching gets you badges... mining gets you coins and funds. That could make a huge difference in the eyes of a company. Folding and crunching are for the better good and benefit many... mining would seem to be for the better wallet size and only benefits one person.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2018/07/06 16:23:11
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/07 00:54:23 (permalink)
    A company doesn't put stuff like that in the warranty terms for no reason, they might not use it today as a reason to not honor the warranty, who knows about tomorrow. Let's not forget, in the past year, we have seen on here where EVGA has denied warranty claims for petty reasons, only to flip flop on it, after the owner of the product went public about it.

SM-71
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 292
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/22 08:32:40 (permalink)
    "Any Damages to the components, hardware and/or assembly of the Products; including but not limited to damages caused as a result of neglect, abuse, accidents, misuse, or unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress (including due to uninterrupted use of the Products, or use of the Products for blockchain processing, cryptocurrency mining, or similar purposes)."

The real question is; what is their definition of "damages" as pertains to this warranty update?  If we're talking visible damages - that's very reasonable.  Such damages would not normally be caused by any of the electrical or electromechanical stresses described or implied in the warranty terms.

Now, if you tell EVGA, when you submit your RMA request, that your card stopped working after running folding @ home 24/7/365 with a 150MHz overclock for 30 months straight... they might decide that constitutes unusual stress & not honor your warranty....  & that would be on you ;)  
    post edited by SM-71 - 2018/07/22 08:35:38

Rebuild 2.0 Specs:  Phantek's Enthoo Pro Full Tower case * Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 motherboard * Intel i9-13900KS CPU with Kraken X63 AIO * WIN 11 PRO 64bit * MSI 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio GPU * Corsair Vengeance 64GB(4x16GB) RAM * Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD (Win11 Pro) + Intel 665p 1TB M.2 NVMe (storage) + Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe (storage) + Samsung 980 1TB M.2 NVMe (Ubuntu) * Seasonic Vertex GX-1200 1200W ATX 3.0 PSU * Samsung 50 inch QN90A 4K TV/monitor * FANS: Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm front intake + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC 140mm exhaust on Kraken X63 radiator + 1 Noctua NF-A12 120mm rear intake
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/22 08:42:10 (permalink)
    The bigger picture -- My personal Opinion --( I am a Volunteer Moderator & Not an employee of EVGA)

Remember the warranty is designed to cover "Manufacturer Defects" & Not all possible creative ways someone can damage their PC parts

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: New EVGA Warranty Would Make Folding A Violation. 2018/07/23 02:00:46 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    The bigger picture -- My personal Opinion --( I am a Volunteer Moderator & Not an employee of EVGA)

Remember the warranty is designed to cover "Manufacturer Defects" & Not all possible creative ways someone can damage their PC parts

The warranty is designed to give a company just about any reason to deny a warranty claim. We have seen customers on here having to fight to get evga to honor the warranty over minor scratches and scuff markers or blemish on a product.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile