Author
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 16
2017/11/12 09:32:40 (permalink)
did anyone notice this

NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” – Will Be Announced at GTC 2018

According to Heise, NVIDIA is preparing a next generation GPU known as “Ampere” which they are planning to unveil at GTC 2018. There are currently no details available but rumors are that NVIDIA will be jumping straight from Pascal to Ampere, at least on the GeForce front. The site alleges that the Ampere family of graphics cards will succeed the GeForce 10 series cards which are based on the Pascal GPU architecture.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-next-generation-ampere-gpu-rumor/

https://www.heise.de/news...nk-Gaming-3887633.html

Volta, ampere, ....Watt is next?....lol

and yes these are ALL scientists Fermi,Tesla,Kepler,Maxwell,Pascal,Volta,Ampere, and Watt

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Enrico-Fermi
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Nikola-Tesla
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Johannes-Kepler
https://www.britannica.com/biography/James-Clerk-Maxwell
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Blaise-Pascal
https://www.britannica.co...raphy/Alessandro-Volta
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Andre-Marie-Ampere
https://www.britannica.com/biography/James-Watt

And lets assume the story is partially true - only that Volta gpu's will come to consumer and Ampere cards will be showcased for HPC

lets also assume that Nvidia wants to to tick tock with HPC being 1 generation ahead of the consumer GPU
I think there was a story awhile back that said Nvidia wanted to do something like that and have HPC one generation ahead of Consumer
and with navi coming just 1 yr after Vega - Nvidia may want to keep their HPC market share quite secure

Also with Koduri leaving AMD to make GPU's for Intel - for Nvidia to stay ahead of Nirvana- let alone google or the other players joining in on HPC 
i think Nvidia now has some competition brewing on the HPC side

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2017/11/12 09:56:00

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

10 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” 2017/11/12 09:42:28 (permalink)
    It will be interesting to see what NVIDIA will bring to the table and if GDDR6 will be the graphics memory for the consumer.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” 2017/11/12 10:03:08 (permalink)
    Nvidia’s CEO has shared his thoughts on recent Intel and AMD news

Nvidia held its quarterly earnings report on Thursday night, showing investors results that surpassed expectations. During the call, one financial analyst asked for Huang’s opinion on the recent news coming out of AMD and Intel. He first acknowledged that “there’s a lot of news out there”, before describing Raja leaving as “a great loss for AMD”.

Huang also described Raja being picked up by Intel as a recognition “that the GPU is just incredibly, incredibly important”. The thing that specifically targets Nvidia, is the idea of Intel producing its own high-end discrete GPUs, moving away from just focusing on integrated graphics solutions.
    As Fortune reports, Huang argued that it would take years for Intel to be succeed in bringing a high-end GPU product to market. “It’s an enormous undertaking”, he said, adding that it can take around three years to bring a new design to market.

https://www.kitguru.net/c...nt-intel-and-amd-news/

QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” 2017/11/12 12:19:38 (permalink)
    Intel used to make discrete GPUs - they dropped them after a while because they were totally uncompetative, and reverted back to just putting out GPUs as part of chipsets, then on their APUs.

It's going to take them a LOT more than one "person grabbed from AMD" to change that.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    Re: NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” 2017/11/12 15:38:50 (permalink)
    The sooner the better.
    QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    Re: NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” 2017/11/13 12:53:56 (permalink)
    All you need to know about the new "ampere".

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20171113

I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” 2017/11/13 13:58:24 (permalink)
    QuintLeo
    All you need to know about the new "ampere".

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20171113

You used this on a different thread. Loses its appeal when compared against the mvidia cards since they actually run cooler and quieter.
    boylerya
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1910
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” 2017/11/13 18:19:39 (permalink)
    I dont think nvidia would deviate from its geforce gpu roadmap which states volta is after pascal. Im convinced this is a rumor.
    post edited by Sajin - 2017/11/13 19:25:36

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
    Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
    Garlic is the Antichrist.
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” 2017/11/16 15:55:31 (permalink)

Volta, ampere, ....Watt is next?.......
    I know ..... everyone chant .....OHM!!! OHM!!! OHM!!!

and update

story/rumor
    ==========================

"Volta" uses TSMC 12 nm process, "Ampere" is manufactured with TSMC 10 nm process.In the high-end core, HBM 3 is used.

HBM 3 will be developed, but I will not listen to the story that we have entered mass production yet, because past information is going to be around 2019-2020(if HBM 2 is enough Although there is a possibility).The TSMC 10 nm process is also delicate and we can not deny the possibility of preparing a dedicated process like "Volta" 12 nm, but at this stage it is quite dubious.
    ---------------------

my thoughts could even be 7nm and hbm3 - since i wouldn't use 10nm unless yields of 7nm are low...because 10nm will have higher yields and production due to it being more mature

we get volta and GDDR6

so there ya have it AMPERE is next gen HPC ....FIrst HPC then Consumer
    like i said Nvidia wants tick tock for their line HPC 1 gen ahead of consumer - that way they can get premium pricing for cutting edge from business and not kill it by making a consumer card at 1/2 the price with approx the same performance as HPC model

ie try not to cut into canabalize your premium market
    post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2017/11/17 00:21:53

QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    Re: NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” 2017/11/19 12:58:56 (permalink)
    HBM2 mass production is still being VERY iffy, HBM3 won't see mass production for years most likely.

Tick Tock is kinda outdated at this point - even Intel was forced to abandon the concept due to issues with "the next node" getting MUCH MUCH tougher starting with 14/16nm

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” 2017/11/22 01:48:20 (permalink)
    New computing architecture Nvidia Volta 11/21/2017. All the latest information as of 11/21/2017.

In the first half of next year, not enough fast GDDR5 memory and more expensive GDDR5X will come to the new generation of chips - GDDR6. Samsung and SK Hynix are already engaged in the production of the latter, and mass deliveries should begin in the coming months. Nevertheless, in serial video cards GDDR6 will appear only in the spring - with the first announcements of adapters NVIDIA GeForce and / or TITAN on 12-nm chips Volta. Before, Samsung Electronics informed the public about its plans to produce GDDR6 chips with a bandwidth of 14 to 16 Gbit / s per contact (against the maximum 9 Gb / s for GDDR5 and 10-11.4 Gbps for GDDR5X), and SK Hynix announced 8 Gbps (1 GB) GDDR6 chips with a bandwidth limit of 16 Gbps per contact.

The problem of the limited bandwidth of GDDR5 graphics memory in its time led to the appearance of video cards and HPC accelerators with buffer memory HBM (HBM1) and later - HBM2. The connection of the graphic core and crystals of High Bandwidth Memory through the intermediate silicon layer allowed both to increase the bandwidth of the memory subsystem and to significantly reduce the area occupied by the key elements of the video card. At the same time, there were many shortcomings in HBM / HBM2 solutions: high production costs and, as a result, a limitation of memory capacity, a practical lack of the possibility to replace VRAM chips within a single generation of GPUs (again due to additional costs) and strong dependence on contractors. All this was the reason for the parallel release of high-end video cards with buffer memory types GDDR5,

The next generation of graphics architecture after the NVIDIA Volta will be Ampere, which is named after the physicist Andre-Marie Ampere. According to the source of this information, Nvidia is preparing the architecture for the announcement at the GPU Technology Conference in the coming year. The first real product based on Ampere will be announced later, and, in all likelihood, will be intended for supercomputers.

It's worth noting that NVIDIA has not released consumer video cards on the Volta architecture until this time, so only devices based on Pascal are available, which was presented a year and a half ago. If NVIDIA continues to use the four-digit numbering scheme, then, following the GeForce 10 Pascal family, we can expect the appearance of a series of GeForce 20 Volta and GeForce 30 Ampere. In the meantime, we can only guess. Against the background of not the most attractive price-performance ratio of AMD Radeon RX Vega adapters (especially in the first months after the announcement), GeForce 10 products are in great demand among players, and so much so that NVIDIA, for example, decided to offer the fans the TITAN Xp accelerator in a new design , not replacing the application characteristics.

The power supply voltage of GDDR6 chips is reduced from 1.5 V, like modern GDDR5 memory, to 1.35 V. The practical speed limit for GDDR5X memory is 14 Gb / s, with the mass today at 8 Gb / s per contact. Therefore, GDDR6 memory with a contact exchange at 16 Gbit / s is a solution with good prospects.

Before the release of the first professional level devices on the basis of Ampere will be held a few more technical presentations, and the output of consumer graphics cards GeForce on the newly made architecture can take even more time. Before the release of consumer graphics cards GeForce with GPU based on the architecture of Ampere, it may take a long time.
     ---------------------------------
    so there ya have it

and don't expect GDDR6 right away since they won't be producing it right away = and you have to have enough production to meet demands
    so that's late in the year

expect volta consumer with GDDR5X more likely
    post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2017/11/22 02:02:18

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile