EVGA

AnsweredMonitor won't wake up from sleep mode.

Author
darli328
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/01 16:03:58 (permalink)
New to posting and the title pretty much sums it up.  When trying to wake up my computer with my mouse or keyboard the computer turns on and the monitor turns on with a blank/black screen but after a few seconds it says "no display port detected" or something to that effect.  Which at this point I have to restart my PC and then the monitor runs normally.  Unfortunately this issue seems to have started up a few weeks ago.  I've had this monitor for around 3 to 4 years, and the rest of the system for about 1 year.  I've tried searching google and other forums with no luck.  I'll post what I've already tried to fix it with no luck and my system specs below.  Any thoughts, tips, advice would be helpful.  Thanks

In the ASUS Monitor settings I've unchecked DisplayPort Deep sleep (turned it off)
Turned off Windows Fast Startup
Have my Windows 10 power settings set to High performance
Updated all drivers and windows updates

I'm using the displayport cable that came with the monitor but I've ordered a new cable and will try that.  I currently don't have another monitor I could test to see if it's a faulty monitor. 

Monitor ASUS PG279Q (not overclocked, set at 144hz 1440p, OD set to normal, connected via displayport)
Intel I7 8700k
EVGA Z390 FTW
EVGA RTX 2070
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200mghz 32GB (4 8BG sticks installed)
Samsung 970 Evo 500GB (OS installed here)
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Windows 10 Pro
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30860
  • Ribbons : 123
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/01 16:40:58 (permalink)
What sleep states are Enabled in the MB's BIOS

Monitor Firmware up to date ?

If you unplug Monitor & then plug it back in 20 seconds later - anything change ?

Did it start happening After a major Win10 update ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
darli328
Superclocked Member
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/01 18:07:28 (permalink)
Cool GTX
What sleep states are Enabled in the MB's BIOS

Monitor Firmware up to date ?

If you unplug Monitor & then plug it back in 20 seconds later - anything change ?

Did it start happening After a major Win10 update ?

Thanks for the reply.
ACPI Sleep State is set to S3 Only (Suspend RAM)
Restore AC Power Loss is set to Last State
I have the latest EVGA Z390 FTW BIOS installed
I have the latest driver for the PG279Q (Version 1.0 I believe) but firmware wise I don't know.  If I had to guess it's not up to date and is the previous version, but from my research the only way to update the firmware is to mail the monitor into ASUS.  I'd consider that a last resort at this point.
I have tried unplugging the monitor (both power and displayport) with no luck.  I've even unplugged the displayport and plugged it into a different port on the graphics card with no luck.  I could try to use an HDMI cable to see if that works but ultimately I want to use displayport and switching to HDMI isn't really a solution for me.
I'm not sure if this happened after a windows update or an nvidia update since I don't use sleep mode that often, but this could of happened that way. 
One thing I didn't mention my RAM started to have some issues a around this time but I RMAed the RAM, installed the new sticks, and RAM memtest86 with 0 errors.  So, I don't see that being the issue.
NazcaC2
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 6301
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/01 18:18:06 (permalink)
Disable hibernation by opening the Command Prompt in Administrative Mode. Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, press Enter and close the Command Prompt window. Delete hiberfil.sys in the root of c:\ . Enter the Command Prompt again the re-enter the command and instead type "on". Re-test.

Intel i9-12900K
ASUS Prime Z690-A
Corsair 850W RM850x
Windows 11 Professional
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 63846
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/01 18:44:31 (permalink)

Moved to General Hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
darli328
Superclocked Member
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/01 20:28:23 (permalink)
NazcaC2
Disable hibernation by opening the Command Prompt in Administrative Mode. Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, press Enter and close the Command Prompt window. Delete hiberfil.sys in the root of c:\ . Enter the Command Prompt again the re-enter the command and instead type "on". Re-test.

Thanks! I’ll try that later tonight. But, just so I understand.
Is there a known issue with hibernation and sleep mode or something from a recent update? Disabling hibernation to get sleep mode to work to me means there’s still a problem with hibernation, sleep mode, or both.
Or, are you saying to disable it, delete hiberfil.sys then enable it again? Resetting it basically? Will windows rewrite the hiberfil.sys file when hibernation is enabled again? I guess I’m a little confused on what effects this has and how it helps.
post edited by darli328 - 2019/12/01 20:32:26
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/01 21:01:23 (permalink)
Check for this Windows 10 black screen problems fixed    https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2829823

Try this Nvidia tool  https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2832050

You tried Older Nvidia driver ?

Dp cable a certified one is important to use (they do not have to be expensive)

https://www.displayport.org/products-database/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
darli328
Superclocked Member
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/01 21:48:38 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Check for this    

Try this Nvidia tool 

You tried Older Nvidia driver ?

Dp cable a certified one is important to use (they do not have to be expensive)

Haven't tried an older Nvidia driver.
Reading over the links you sent looks like the issue linked is for DP 1.3 and 1.4 with 10 and 9 series cards.  My ASUS PG279Q is only DP 1.2 as far as I know and having a 20 series card already has the new displayport (1.4) updates no?
Interesting read on the Windows 10 black screens.  Just my luck I didn't have the issue previously and now that I'm on version 1909 I'm somehow having issues.
Ordered a Vesa certified Accell 1.4 displayport cable, but I'm not confident this will fix anything.  Should be here in a day or two.
darli328
Superclocked Member
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/02 12:53:58 (permalink)
So my issue may have just gotten a little stranger.  I went back to balanced power setting, still have windows fast startup off, and under advanced power options Allow Hybrid Sleep off, and PCIe Express Link Stae Power Management Off.  Now my monitor will detect a single when waking up from sleep and everything seems fine.  However, it will only do this once.  Meaning if I enter sleep mode again my original issue arises and the computer has to be restarted.  Seems really strange I can wake up form sleep once after each full shutdown and restart.  Is there an additional setting I'm missing?

Also, I looked around my windows event viewer, reliability monitor, and found a bunch of stuff that is concerning me.

Event Viewer has some warnings and critical events, and errors under windows log then the system tab. I'll post a few below.

There's a handful of the system warnings for DistributedCOM, which I'm not really sure what this is for without researching it.

There's an Error event for BugCheck and under the general tab says "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000a0 (0x0000000000000608, 0xffffb803cd446528, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 43c80467-9c02-434f-aed1-9a51caf754c2."

There's a critical event for Kernel-Power. Under the general tab says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

There's an Error for volmgr. Under general says "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation."

Another Error EventLog. And, under general says "The previous system shutdown at 10:56:09 AM on ‎12/‎1/‎2019 was unexpected."

Another Error Kernel-Boot. And, under general says "Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000001."

Under the reliability monitor there is 9 critical events, most of which are windows was not shutdown properly, 2 are windows has stopped working, and 2 are shutdown unexpectedly.

To be completely honest the event viewer and reliability monitor are a bit beyond my knowledge of windows and I'm not sure what all these mean. But, I would guess some of them are because I have to hit the restart button on my computer when the monitor wouldn't wake up.

I have yet to try going under command prompt to disable hibernation mode, and deleting the hiberfil.sys file.  I'd like to know what effects this has before doing it and how to get that file back (or even if it's necessary) when enabling hibernation mode again.
darli328
Superclocked Member
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/02 17:41:31 (permalink)
Looks like I may have spoken too soon on sleep mode working once after each hard restart as now it's no longer working like I mentioned in my previous post...
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49091
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/03 10:21:02 (permalink)
If this problem only started a few weeks ago then I would suggest using system restore to restore your pc to a day when the issue wasn't occurring.
flyinion
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2291
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/03 10:56:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby XrayMan 2019/12/09 19:46:23
You could try using Windbg to analyze that dump file and see if it's a driver or something that might be causing issues.  It's not super intuitive to use, but guides like this one helped me figure it out enough to use it when I was having issues a while back which seemed to be a buggy Windows Update.  https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-do-i-use-windbg-debugger-to-troubleshoot-a-blue-screen-of-death/

darli328
So my issue may have just gotten a little stranger.  I went back to balanced power setting, still have windows fast startup off, and under advanced power options Allow Hybrid Sleep off, and PCIe Express Link Stae Power Management Off.  Now my monitor will detect a single when waking up from sleep and everything seems fine.  However, it will only do this once.  Meaning if I enter sleep mode again my original issue arises and the computer has to be restarted.  Seems really strange I can wake up form sleep once after each full shutdown and restart.  Is there an additional setting I'm missing?

Also, I looked around my windows event viewer, reliability monitor, and found a bunch of stuff that is concerning me.

Event Viewer has some warnings and critical events, and errors under windows log then the system tab. I'll post a few below.

There's a handful of the system warnings for DistributedCOM, which I'm not really sure what this is for without researching it.

There's an Error event for BugCheck and under the general tab says "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000a0 (0x0000000000000608, 0xffffb803cd446528, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 43c80467-9c02-434f-aed1-9a51caf754c2."

There's a critical event for Kernel-Power. Under the general tab says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

There's an Error for volmgr. Under general says "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation."

Another Error EventLog. And, under general says "The previous system shutdown at 10:56:09 AM on ‎12/‎1/‎2019 was unexpected."

Another Error Kernel-Boot. And, under general says "Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000001."

Under the reliability monitor there is 9 critical events, most of which are windows was not shutdown properly, 2 are windows has stopped working, and 2 are shutdown unexpectedly.

To be completely honest the event viewer and reliability monitor are a bit beyond my knowledge of windows and I'm not sure what all these mean. But, I would guess some of them are because I have to hit the restart button on my computer when the monitor wouldn't wake up.

I have yet to try going under command prompt to disable hibernation mode, and deleting the hiberfil.sys file.  I'd like to know what effects this has before doing it and how to get that file back (or even if it's necessary) when enabling hibernation mode again.

AMD Ryzen 5950X | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK Vector2 | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | WD SN850 2TB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB & 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC | Kanto YU2 + Yamaha sub | Schiit Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro | Custom water loop
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49091
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/03 11:03:39 (permalink)
Some info on your blue screen... https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0xa0--internal-power-error

Sounds like a clean install of windows is in order if a system restore doesn't sort the issue.
darli328
Superclocked Member
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/04 15:11:49 (permalink)
flyinion
You could try using Windbg to analyze that dump file and see if it's a driver or something that might be causing issues.  It's not super intuitive to use, but guides like this one helped me figure it out enough to use it when I was having issues a while back which seemed to be a buggy Windows Update.  

darli328

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the replies and help.  I ended up using the windbg as suggest above to read the dump file.  The dump file led me to some sort of an error with my m.2 drives.  Long story endless apparently 1 Samsung 970 M.2 Evo SSDs works fine with driver verson 3.0 however when you add a second Samsung 970 Evo M.2 drive there is a bug with sleep mode using the driver 3.0.  I had 1 500gb Samsung 970 Evo and about a month or so ago I added a second 1TB Samsung 970 Evo but for me I didn't noticed the issue to a little while after adding the second drive.  When updating the drivers through windows it would say I have the most up to date driver.  However going to the Samsung web sit there is a newer version 3.2 which has so far solved my issue.
Here is a link with more info for anyone in the future that comes across this.

After updating both of my Samsung 970 Evo's driver to version 3.2 my sleep mode issues seem to be resolved.
I don't think I would of stumbled across this fix without using windbg to read the dump files.  So, thank you for that suggestion.

retreaved from Spam Filter by Cool GTX
post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/12/04 20:31:56
darli328
Superclocked Member
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/04 15:28:15 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2019/12/04 20:31:12

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the replies and help.  I ended up using the windbg as suggest above to read the dump file.  The dump file led me to some sort of an error with my m.2 drives.  Long story endless apparently 1 Samsung 970 M.2 Evo SSDs works fine with driver verson 3.0 however when you add a second Samsung 970 Evo M.2 drive there is a bug with sleep mode using the driver 3.0.  I had 1 500gb Samsung 970 Evo and about a month or so ago I added a second 1TB Samsung 970 Evo but for me I didn't noticed the issue to a little while after adding the second drive.  When updating the drivers through windows it would say I have the most up to date driver.  However going to the Samsung web site there is a newer version 3.2 which has so far solved my issue.

After updating both of my Samsung 970 Evo's driver to version 3.2 my sleep mode issues seems to be resolved.
I don't think I would of stumbled across this fix without using windbg to read the dump files.  So, thank you for that suggestion
darli328
Superclocked Member
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/04 15:32:30 (permalink)
Looks like I can't post the link to the Samsung forum that goes into a little more detail about the driver issue/update.  Is that not allowed or something?  I was hoping to post the link so that if anyone searches for this issue in the future they will have extra info.

flyinion
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2291
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/04 15:38:06 (permalink)
darli328

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the replies and help.  I ended up using the windbg as suggest above to read the dump file.  The dump file led me to some sort of an error with my m.2 drives.  Long story endless apparently 1 Samsung 970 M.2 Evo SSDs works fine with driver verson 3.0 however when you add a second Samsung 970 Evo M.2 drive there is a bug with sleep mode using the driver 3.0.  I had 1 500gb Samsung 970 Evo and about a month or so ago I added a second 1TB Samsung 970 Evo but for me I didn't noticed the issue to a little while after adding the second drive.  When updating the drivers through windows it would say I have the most up to date driver.  However going to the Samsung web site there is a newer version 3.2 which has so far solved my issue.

After updating both of my Samsung 970 Evo's driver to version 3.2 my sleep mode issues seems to be resolved.
I don't think I would of stumbled across this fix without using windbg to read the dump files.  So, thank you for that suggestion

Nice!! Glad that helped.  Hmmm, that reminds me I forgot there was a new Samsung driver.  I need to go get that, though I'm only running one drive and don't use sleep mode either.

AMD Ryzen 5950X | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK Vector2 | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | WD SN850 2TB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB & 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC | Kanto YU2 + Yamaha sub | Schiit Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro | Custom water loop
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/04 20:30:49 (permalink)
darli328
Looks like I can't post the link to the Samsung forum that goes into a little more detail about the driver issue/update.  Is that not allowed or something?  I was hoping to post the link so that if anyone searches for this issue in the future they will have extra info.

Low post count - workaround can be found in this thread
Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 63846
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode. 2019/12/09 19:46:51 (permalink)

Glad you got it fixed.      

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile