Microsoft to Add Native RGB Lighting Control to Windows 11

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 83839
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 85
2023/05/25 22:39:57 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/309185/microsoft-to-add-native-rgb-lighting-control-to-windows-11

According to a blog post by Panos Panay, Chief Product Officer, Windows and Devices, Microsoft is working on native support for RGB lighting control to Windows 11. One of the big frustrations today is that almost each and every manufacturer of RGB equipped devices, or motherboards for that matter, have their own system when it comes to controlling the RGB lighting. This might result in multiple apps having to be installed and they often don't communicate with each other. There's obviously some interoperability, but it's still quite poor, so now it appears that Microsoft has taken things into their own hands.

However, the blog post which covers a lot of other topics as well, doesn't provide any details of a user interface. Microsoft calls its solution to the problem for Dynamic Lighting and it's supposed to be part of the Windows settings. The blog post mentions that Dynamic Lighting will be released in this month's insider build as a preview, so hopefully we should have a better idea of what Microsoft supports and how much user control there will actually be. That said, it seems like Microsoft is expecting the various hardware manufacturers to add support for Dynamic Lighting as well, so it's highly likely that we'll still see plenty of unsupported hardware out there.

"Lighted accessories have been on the rise and can add energy and emotion to your PC experience. Today, many of these accessories rely on third-party apps and integrations that are highly fragmented. With Dynamic Lighting, Windows users will be able to effortlessly set up and customize their devices with RGB lights directly from Windows Settings. It has never been easier to help all your RGB accessories seamlessly work together for Windows apps. This month, we are making the Dynamic Lighting preview available to Windows Insiders so that developers and hardware partners alike can experiment with new integrations for RGB accessories and components."

Will the OEMs accept this solution?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

4 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 8859
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Microsoft to Add Native RGB Lighting Control to Windows 11 2023/05/26 04:49:33 (permalink)
    I think that the real question is will HP and Dell accept this solution. I could see a lot of prebuilt systems coming with RGB lighting if it's not adding a lot to the price but having the synced lighting of the keyboard mouse and tower all matching giving that wow factor to buyers.

I think that is what will really get the support also if I can mix and match I think that vendors will want to support it since I know I would like my lighting from different companies to match. It probably would impact what I buy if one brand supports lighting that sill sync with other brands as long as performance isn’t much different.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2023/05/26 05:49:33

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

KBPD7
    • Total Posts : 31
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Microsoft to Add Native RGB Lighting Control to Windows 11 2023/05/26 08:54:46 (permalink)
    I like the move from Microsoft to go towards gamers. But being real, if you want one software to go with just use signal rgb
    Flybye
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1186
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Microsoft to Add Native RGB Lighting Control to Windows 11 2023/05/27 04:26:25 (permalink)
    I'd think if they were really considering gamers they would have a gaming mode that temporarily disables a lot of the BS that runs in the background while gaming.

Gaming thing
    i9-12900KF @ 5.20GHz
    EVGA: Z690 Classified - RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra - Supernova 1200w P3 - DG-75
    32GBs Corsair Dominator DDR5 @ 6800 - Seagate: .5TB, 1TB M.2s, HD 4TB
    Sony CRT 24" GDM-FW900 16:10 - DangerDen (RIP) Goodies: 2x120mm Rad & D5 + Primochill stuff
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16534
    • Ribbons : 271
    Re: Microsoft to Add Native RGB Lighting Control to Windows 11 2023/05/27 07:54:46 (permalink)
    Flybye
    I'd think if they were really considering gamers they would have a gaming mode that temporarily disables a lot of the [stuff] that runs in the background while gaming.

Well, they do.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile