EVGA

Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift?

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 83661
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 85
2015/01/21 23:53:38 (permalink)
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/43048/microsoft-intros-hololens-wearable-contest-rift/index.html

Does it compete against the Oculus Rift or take it in a new, exciting direction? 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

13 Replies Related Threads

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 17985
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/22 03:07:56 (permalink)
    Oculus Rift is "virtual reality" while Microsoft HoloLens is "augmented reality". Conceptually, they're two different things. HoloLens is why Google Glass died. It shows an ignorance of the reporter when they do not know the difference between VR and AR and how content must be formatted differently for both.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2015/01/22 03:10:08
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4805
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/22 04:52:16 (permalink)
    Its going to be a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time before we see augmented reality like what we see in Iron man's home in the movies.

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 13833
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/22 04:56:46 (permalink)
    YEP , get back with me when I can do what Howard/ Tony Stark can in his garage , with grabbing VR items in thin air and modifying it , then I'll be impressed.......
    post edited by aka_STEVE_b - 2015/01/22 08:06:47

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2238
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/22 06:14:18 (permalink)
    Here is another article about the hologram feature of Windows 10. http://mobile.pcmag.com/?...-browser-and-holograms
    It seems they are already working with NASA on this. Seems intriguing but I wonder exactly when this will be available and at what price. Might really consider early adoption if these features work well initially.

mistermister
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5306
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/22 09:24:58 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    YEP , get back with me when I can do what Howard/ Tony Stark can in his garage , with grabbing VR items in thin air and modifying it , then I'll be impressed.......

They did exactly that. MS had a guy demo making a virtual model xwing in augmented reality, them moving it off and 3d printing it. It's completely amazing.

AMD 3700x / X-570 Aorus Ultra / RTX-3090 FTW3
    djcypher1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 186
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/22 09:27:11 (permalink)
    I don't know.  If HoloLens  actually looks like and can do what the video below portrays, then I think it's (explative) AWESOME!  Just the part that shows the father helping his daughter with plumbing is cool.  Any real-time collaboration in a virtual space like that has so many uses.  Imagine how it would change the learning process.  You could actually DO what you're learning, which is always more efficient than just having something explained in text or in a typical, classroom setting.

....and working with CAD renderings in 3D space like that......sign me up!

Of course, I can also see everyone bumping into everything around them as they get accustomed to the perspective of operating in the real and virtual world simultaneously...LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThCr0PsyuA

System Specs:
    Metal box with an X99 system, a bunch of EVGA parts, and some wires inside of it.

mistermister
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/22 10:28:33 (permalink)
    djcypher1
    I don't know.  If HoloLens  actually looks like and can do what the video below portrays, then I think it's (explative) AWESOME!  Just the part that shows the father helping his daughter with plumbing is cool.  Any real-time collaboration in a virtual space like that has so many uses.  Imagine how it would change the learning process.  You could actually DO what you're learning, which is always more efficient than just having something explained in text or in a typical, classroom setting.

....and working with CAD renderings in 3D space like that......sign me up!

Of course, I can also see everyone bumping into everything around them as they get accustomed to the perspective of operating in the real and virtual world simultaneously...LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThCr0PsyuA

Apparently it indeed does do what they showed in the video. Check out reviews from journalists who actually used it hands on. MS used the same demos for them to try out, sans the 3d/CAD modeling one. They had a MS person demo that... probably too complicated to learn for a 1st timer.

That said, I didn't read about anyone having issues navigating in RL, although one tech reviewer stated he found it was pretty easy to move around without issue:

http://mashable.com/2015/...s-hands-on-experience/
    post edited by mistermister - 2015/01/22 10:34:23

djcypher1
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/22 14:05:43 (permalink)
    mistermister

Apparently it indeed does do what they showed in the video. Check out reviews from journalists who actually used it hands on. MS used the same demos for them to try out, sans the 3d/CAD modeling one. They had a MS person demo that... probably too complicated to learn for a 1st timer.

That said, I didn't read about anyone having issues navigating in RL, although one tech reviewer stated he found it was pretty easy to move around without issue:

Nice article find.  I'm actually really excited about HoloLens.  Not just for my own use, but I think if Microsoft, developers, and software engineers can pull this off the right way, it will be a major milestone in UI and communication.

System Specs:
    Metal box with an X99 system, a bunch of EVGA parts, and some wires inside of it.

mistermister
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/22 14:36:11 (permalink)
    djcypher1
    mistermister

Nice article find.  I'm actually really excited about HoloLens.  Not just for my own use, but I think if Microsoft, developers, and software engineers can pull this off the right way, it will be a major milestone in UI and communication.

Also I want to visit Mars!

djcypher1
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/22 15:11:17 (permalink)
    mistermister
    djcypher1
    mistermister

Also I want to visit Mars!

Heck yeah!  I'll meet you up there.  Then we can point at something and say:  "Hey, check out this formation." like in the ad.....lol

System Specs:

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/22 17:41:23 (permalink)
    The demos are highly situational in nature right now. I like where it's heading but there are very static examples being used. I would be much more impressed to see it work in an actual dynamic environment where the room content and geometry is not known before hand. Right now every example was staged at a specific location and in a specific configuration. Once I see it done in dynamic locations I'll be a b it more optimistic about it.
    djcypher1
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/22 18:53:16 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    The demos are highly situational in nature right now. I like where it's heading but there are very static examples being used. I would be much more impressed to see it work in an actual dynamic environment where the room content and geometry is not known before hand. Right now every example was staged at a specific location and in a specific configuration. Once I see it done in dynamic locations I'll be a b it more optimistic about it.

Totally agree.  That's why I was saying "if it looks like in the ad".  However, even if you told me it would only work in one room in my house that I had to configure first, I'd be impressed.  Think about it;  Your computer is in one location, with a fixed focal point (screen) and that scenario hasn't changed much over the course of computer history.  Even our input devices are pretty much the same, except now they light up and have more buttons. 

I think this is the first rung on a ladder that will change how we interact with our computers.... as long as they get it right.  I don't think it will take me fully away from my keyboard and mouse, but it may start the progression that does 5-10 years from now.

System Specs:

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Microsoft intros its HoloLens wearable, but does it contest the Rift? 2015/01/23 04:56:13 (permalink)
    djcypher1
    Brad_Hawthorne

Totally agree.  That's why I was saying "if it looks like in the ad".  However, even if you told me it would only work in one room in my house that I had to configure first, I'd be impressed.  Think about it;  Your computer is in one location, with a fixed focal point (screen) and that scenario hasn't changed much over the course of computer history.  Even our input devices are pretty much the same, except now they light up and have more buttons. 

I think this is the first rung on a ladder that will change how we interact with our computers.... as long as they get it right.  I don't think it will take me fully away from my keyboard and mouse, but it may start the progression that does 5-10 years from now.

Technology works best when it's a seamless experience that just works. Look at things like cellphone proliferation in society or GPS location services. Those things are prevalent in most everywhere you are. You get AR to that level of just working and it'll become second nature. That is a long road to travel to get there from here though.

My largest worry with Microsoft is there is a huge disconnect between Microsoft Research and Microsoft retail. Often times things are done within Microsoft Research just to create buzz and generate interest in Microsoft itself. Very little of it sees the light of day. I'm a slight bit more optimistic about HoloLens though because it's based upon some of Microsoft's existing IP in the use of  Kinect depth perception mapping. The visual systems design was purchased IP from a third party source.

The VR and AR ecosystems are very volatile at the moment. There are going to be quite a few winners and even more losers in the marketplace. I look at HoloLens and realize why Google just shuttered Google Glass before it achieved consumer acceptance. There are groups investing millions into VR and AR that are going to lose their shirt between now and 2020.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2015/01/23 05:03:20
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile