EVGA

Hot!MSI Readies ATX12VO-ready AMD Socket AM5 Motherboard, and its First ATX12VO PSU

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 84265
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 85
2023/12/26 03:37:00 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/317086/msi-readies-atx12vo-ready-amd-socket-am5-motherboard-and-its-first-atx12vo-psu

MSI is planning to expand its small lineup of motherboards with ATX12VO power connectivity—the new desktop motherboard power standard that does away with the 5 V and 3.3 V power domains, and relies entirely on 12 V, with the aim of simplifying PSU designs and desktop PC power cabling. ATX12VO is still an emerging standard that hasn't gained traction in the DIY channel, but PC OEMs and systems integrators are beginning to catch on, for the cost savings to be had. MSI has been targeting this class of customers—OEMs and small SI, with motherboards under its mainstream PRO series. For the Socket LGA1700, the company has the PRO H610M 12VO, and now the company has its first ATX12VO motherboard for AMD Socket AM5—the PRO B650M 12VO/WiFi.

The company hasn't finalized the board design, but we know from its silhouette to be a Micro-ATX (240 mm x 240 mm) board, with the Socket AM5 wired to two DDR5 DIMM slots, a PCI-Express 4.0 x16, a handful M.2 NVMe Gen 4 slots, and some basic connectivity, including onboard Wi-Fi. As with all ATX12VO motherboards we've seen to date, onboard VRM is used to switch 12 V to lower voltage domains, including 5 V and 3.3 V needed for SATA drives, and the likes. MSI also revealed that it is working on a branded ATX12VO power supply series, so both the retail and OEM/SI channel customers can buy the motherboard+PSU as combos from a single source. Not much else is known about these PSUs at this point.

It's an interesting innovation. I'm curious if motherboard costs will be lower or higher. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

2 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16561
    • Ribbons : 271
    Re: MSI Readies ATX12VO-ready AMD Socket AM5 Motherboard, and its First ATX12VO PSU 2023/12/26 04:47:59 (permalink)
    The 12VO standard is pointless.  It potentially saves some on wire clutter and wire cost, but otherwise, as long as peripherals need 3.3v and 5v, it's nothing but smoke and mirrors.  The cost savings for the PSU is almost nothing.  And do you think they pass on a couple dollar savings to the customer?  No way!  That's profit!  And does the cost of the motherboard go up?  The cost for the manufacturer goes up slightly, but probably the motherboard price won't go up in a measurable way.
    But what about the efficiency?  '12VO is so much more efficient!'  No!  The inefficiency which was in the PSU is now on the motherboard.  Same efficiency overall.
    12VO is fine. If I had it, I wouldn't mind.  If there are decent options, go for it.  The only thing I don't like is the nonsense marketing.  It's nothing but a different way to go about it.  Nothing special and for almost no reason.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2023/12/26 05:56:04

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 8882
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: MSI Readies ATX12VO-ready AMD Socket AM5 Motherboard, and its First ATX12VO PSU 2023/12/27 02:53:18 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    The 12VO standard is pointless.  It potentially saves some on wire clutter and wire cost, but otherwise, as long as peripherals need 3.3v and 5v, it's nothing but smoke and mirrors.  The cost savings for the PSU is almost nothing.  And do you think they pass on a couple dollar savings to the customer?  No way!  That's profit!  And does the cost of the motherboard go up?  The cost for the manufacturer goes up slightly, but probably the motherboard price won't go up in a measurable way.
    But what about the efficiency?  '12VO is so much more efficient!'  No!  The inefficiency which was in the PSU is now on the motherboard.  Same efficiency overall.
    12VO is fine. If I had it, I wouldn't mind.  If there are decent options, go for it.  The only thing I don't like is the nonsense marketing.  It's nothing but a different way to go about it.  Nothing special and for almost no reason.

Savings are often the thing that is considered for a company but they always are factoring in the target MSRP. Sometimes a company will look at making more of a budget focused product to come in under competition and for some targeted products the performance difference isn't enough to really justify the premium over buying a top-of-the-line model based on the use of the product. The struggle though is sometimes you save $3 on production and you really don't go and make a product that is on the shelf for $296 instead of selling it for $299. If they can come in at $274 or $249 then that is enough to get interest over a $299 product from the competition.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2023/12/27 02:55:45

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile