EVGA

Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/03 20:25:30 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
BF3PRO
bcavnaugh
BF3PRO
Honestly if I want to cause light pollution I should be able to no one should be allowed to tell what someone can and cannot do on their property if they aren't paying the property tax or mortgage then again that is why I refuse to move into a neighborhood with an HOA...

So I have to ask then, dose that mean that you can shoot and kill passerby's that walk on the sidewalk?
Or shoot down a plan that fly's over your property?
This is that is what I would like to ask

If someone is not on my property without my permission and does not read the signs and tries to cause damage to myself, family, or property I don't care... Sidewalks are public domain and I don't own the sky...  So that question is irrelevant if someone comes on my property and causes damage or should not be there I warn them to leave and post the property...  I've only had one squatter on my property and he will never be back (he was shot my father and I were investigated and he went to jail for attacking us)...  As long as I don't hurt another individual then why not do what I want?  Again if I cause harm to someone or their property then I expect to be shot and if someone causes harm to me or my property they should expect to be shot...

That is why did not ask.
PS When are you going to upload some images of your Rig?

uploads of 999x999 works best.

Whenever I find out how to get them down to size....  Do you think I'm crazy for what I said?  I got called a gun crazed lunatic the other day by a 15 year old...

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/03 21:35:12 (permalink)

way2faded
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3077
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/03 23:57:34 (permalink)
thats one of the things I really love about Hawaii, they really care about light pollution. all of their street lights are soft yellowish lights that do not project. as they do most of the road work at night, they have special spotlights that again are very soft light that does not project.  You can just look up in the sky and instantly see the difference, when you can see thousands of stars.   then if you really want to see the sky of course....you go up to the top of Mauna Kea by the observatory and its like you are on another planet. The stars actually light up the sky as you are above the clouds, pretty amazing.  

If you ever go to the big island I would put Mauna Kea on the list. 

srtie4k
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1589
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/04 06:37:02 (permalink)
BF3PRO
Honestly if I want to cause light pollution I should be able to no one should be allowed to tell what someone can and cannot do on their property if they aren't paying the property tax or mortgage then again that is why I refuse to move into a neighborhood with an HOA...

To a certain extent, I agree with you. But I also think it's completely unnecessary in other situations, like when your neighbor decides he doesn't like you and decides he wants to aim a 150W flood light through your windows all night long (not that I have that problem, but I know people that do).

Being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk might be your right, but it won't do you any favors. If you have a neighbor that enjoys stargazing, I think it's the right thing to do to shut your lights off if they don't serve an immediate purpose, at least for the sake of being understanding.
post edited by srtie4k - 2014/08/04 06:38:15

Gaming Rig:
Corsair Vegeance C70, Swiftech H220, Intel i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz (1.24V), Asus Sabertooth Z77, Corsair AX860, 16GB Corsair Vegeance DDR3-1600 CL9 1.35V, EVGA GTX 670 FTW, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD, Dell 2408WFP, Corsair K70 Cherry Red, Corsair M65, Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Steambox/HTPC:
Lian Li PC-Q01A, AMD A10-7800, ASRock FM2A88X-ITX, Seasonic ST30SF, 8GB Samsung DDR3-1600 @ 1866, Samsung 840 Evo 250GB MSATA SSD

Affiliate Code: KKDMX98FNV
Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 180
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/04 07:38:24 (permalink)
srtie4k
BF3PRO

To a certain extent, I agree with you. But I also think it's completely unnecessary in other situations, like when your neighbor decides he doesn't like you and decides he wants to aim a 150W flood light through your windows all night long (not that I have that problem, but I know people that do).

Being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk might be your right, but it won't do you any favors. If you have a neighbor that enjoys stargazing, I think it's the right thing to do to shut your lights off if they don't serve an immediate purpose, at least for the sake of being understanding.

Exactly, thanks for summing it up.

There is actually a term called "Light trespass". just like your neighbor can blast a stereo at night and that sound enters your property, light can do just that! In fact, this applies to street lights in the area I live that enter multiple rooms of my house, even my shower, so I can see well enough that I don't turn on the 2,200 lumens of fluorescent light at night. THAT is light trespass.

If you use a computer at night, check out f.lux
Research: https://justgetflux.com/research.html
Download: https://www.justgetflux.com/
This reduces how blue (6500k) the screen is and looks better once you get used to it - the getting used to may take up to a week!
  Your screen will be "more orange" at night but it's for the best. In about 20 minutes your eyes won't even notice.  A white paper should match your screen, maybe play with the monitor settings to get it closer.

BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/04 11:37:22 (permalink)
srtie4k
BF3PRO

I think it's different because he is purposely causing harm if any happens... If my neighbor were to ask me or say they are star gazers I'd have no problen turning off the lights (I don't keep them on waste of pennies if you ask me I have two dogs that warn me)... Now if they yell at me or cause a huge deal I might not feel so inclined to do so... I've been fortunate enough to not live close to another house and when there is an issue we talk it out and its usually small...

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/04 13:53:01 (permalink)
those who are agasint light pollution hate batman
seth89
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5290
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/04 15:50:41 (permalink)
this is my wallpaper across three monitors
http://i.imgbox.com/abvarkXs.jpg

5760x1080
awesome picture. 

DAVE2HOT4U
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1114
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/04 16:34:16 (permalink)
Had to go buy another search light couldnt find his house from here. This old light house just doesnt cut it anymore.
Superclocked Member
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/04 19:45:40 (permalink)
seth89

5760x1080
awesome picture. 

I really like it -- but we truly need to talk to our city officials or whatever they may be called, and tell them "hey, you're wasting money, your creating light pollution, and lighting up yards that don't need to be lit from the other side of the street--or tree branches above the lights."

If you all get the chance, and I really plan to as well, have a talk with your city and tell them about the issues light pollution causes and I bet they'll jump on it.

This reduces how blue (6500k) the screen is and looks better once you get used to it - the getting used to may take up to a week!
  Your screen will be "more orange" at night but it's for the best. In about 20 minutes your eyes won't even notice.  A white paper should match your screen, maybe play with the monitor settings to get it closer.

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/05 11:46:21 (permalink)
seth89

5760x1080
awesome picture. 

I really like it -- but we truly need to talk to our city officials or whatever they may be called, and tell them "hey, you're wasting money, your creating light pollution, and lighting up yards that don't need to be lit from the other side of the street--or tree branches above the lights."

If you all get the chance, and I really plan to as well, have a talk with your city and tell them about the issues light pollution causes and I bet they'll jump on it.

If i talk to them its about putting up spot lights :D

When I was a boy my dad hung a 500W flood light on the garage, and it ran every night :D
seth89
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/05 15:53:03 (permalink)
candle_86
seth89

5760x1080
awesome picture. 

If i talk to them its about putting up spot lights :D

When I was a boy my dad hung a 500W flood light on the garage, and it ran every night :D

My father did/does the same thing. 
He finally replaced the 300w with a energy efficient bulb/enclosure.

I never got why he didnt put it on a motion sensor,we only have the most expensive power in the US here in Suffolk County.

ssj92
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1417
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/05 16:28:49 (permalink)
I don't get to see many deep sky objects through my telescope because of light pollution. There's a bright street light right in front of my house and the neighbor has a really bright light as well. It's not as bad in the backyard so that's where I observe now. 

I doubt cities are going to spend lots of money to change out the lights or install light shields on every light out there. Although some cities have been switching over.

Alienware Area-51M Laptop: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080
Alienware Aurora R4 Desktop: Intel Core i9 10980XE | nVidia Titan V
Alienware M18xR2 Laptop: Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000
Alienware X14 Laptop: Intel Core i7 12700H | nVidia GeForce RTX 3060

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/05 16:58:47 (permalink)
If this is all that is wrong with your world, you should consider yourself blessed.
srtie4k
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1589
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/05 18:53:20 (permalink)
ssj92
I don't get to see many deep sky objects through my telescope because of light pollution. There's a bright street light right in front of my house and the neighbor has a really bright light as well. It's not as bad in the backyard so that's where I observe now. 

I doubt cities are going to spend lots of money to change out the lights or install light shields on every light out there. Although some cities have been switching over.

A couple of the smaller towns around my area have enacted laws that restrict light pollution. Granted those are tiny little villages that don't have that stuff in the first place, but it would be kind of cool to see a bigger city go "lights out" once a year or so as a gift to star gazers.

Gaming Rig:
Corsair Vegeance C70, Swiftech H220, Intel i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz (1.24V), Asus Sabertooth Z77, Corsair AX860, 16GB Corsair Vegeance DDR3-1600 CL9 1.35V, EVGA GTX 670 FTW, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD, Dell 2408WFP, Corsair K70 Cherry Red, Corsair M65, Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Steambox/HTPC:
Lian Li PC-Q01A, AMD A10-7800, ASRock FM2A88X-ITX, Seasonic ST30SF, 8GB Samsung DDR3-1600 @ 1866, Samsung 840 Evo 250GB MSATA SSD

Affiliate Code: KKDMX98FNV
Superclocked Member
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/06 07:23:01 (permalink)
I'd be very nice! I really think people would stop in amazement at what they see, and just maybe that would help people realize, it's not just us out here, there's a lot more life, and we really are just humans on a tiny rock, surrounded by a lot more life.

seth89
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/06 15:53:53 (permalink)
This is my town/county 

"County-owned facilities will use only "warm-white" outdoor lighting from now on, under a new law sponsored by South Fork County Legislator Jay Schneiderman.
Schneiderman, the author of prior legislation requiring the county to use shielded light sources on county properties to reduce light pollution, said the new measure is aimed at protecting health, saving money and further reducing light pollution."
http://riverheadlocal.com...ure-becomes-county-law

cisco0623
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1254
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/06 16:31:27 (permalink)
good thread. I have seen both extremes. Living in NYC I see Vega and the moon. (lol) Insane light pollution, but there isn't anything I can do about it. 

That being said I remember seeing the milky way when i was 5 years old. I will never forget it. From this perspective I respect your opinion and if future children could see what our ancestors saw they perhaps would be more inspired - its amazing to see a pure clean sky.
Superclocked Member
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/06 17:53:56 (permalink)
I agree, I didn't expect this thread to get a lot of attention but WOW has it taken off, for the third time, thank you all so much!

seth89
This is my town/county 

"County-owned facilities will use only "warm-white" outdoor lighting from now on, under a new law sponsored by South Fork County Legislator Jay Schneiderman.
Schneiderman, the author of prior legislation requiring the county to use shielded light sources on county properties to reduce light pollution, said the new measure is aimed at protecting health, saving money and further reducing light pollution."
http://riverheadlocal.com...ure-becomes-county-law

This is just great!  If all cities did this, this wouldn't even be a post here -- well actually it would, but i'd be discussing how much of a great job people are doing to solve the current issue!

The future for light pollution is going to be bright -- but in a dim way!
post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/08/06 17:57:45

Superclocked Member
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/06 17:56:02 (permalink)
I also want to post f.lux one more time.

http://www.justgetflux.com/

Great program, and I have it set to 1900k Candle right now and it's at 2012k- and going down!
slowly, and smoothly, yellowing up the screen.

Very relaxing.
post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/08/06 18:02:21

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/06 18:30:57 (permalink)
But I like lights just like deers do LOL. But if any of you are worried about blue light harming your eyes and blue light disrupting your sleep, you should get a pair of gunner glasses. They sure block the blue light out and prevent your eyes from straining. Also I am one of those guys who feel safer in the dark than there being more lights around me. I like being in the dark because you cant see me but I can see you with my pair of night vision lens that I have. I am sure Special Forces also appreciate the darkness when conducting missions.  

My review of gunner glasses if any of you are interested: http://forums.evga.com/Gunnar-Glasses-m2005765.aspx

Superclocked Member
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/07 08:02:14 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne
If this is all that is wrong with your world, you should consider yourself blessed.

No, I'm very sorry, but there's a HELLUVA lot more wrong with the world, just haven't posted it here yet, but we'll get there! Just be patient! - Georgia font, this font is actually BIGGER than Times New Roman, even when TNR is 2 points higher.  So yes it's great for readability, so I'll stick with it.

Also, big favor here, but could you all start using 12 point fonts, it makes it MUCH easier to read, it's that 2 point difference, and puts a lot less strain on the eyes.  People can zoom in, but then the words get cut off and I have to scroll horizontally.  (I can do zoom text only but that's aggravating taking it on and off).
post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/08/07 08:14:40

Superclocked Member
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/07 08:18:52 (permalink)
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
But I like lights just like deers do LOL. But if any of you are worried about blue light harming your eyes and blue light disrupting your sleep, you should get a pair of gunner glasses. They sure block the blue light out and prevent your eyes from straining. Also I am one of those guys who feel safer in the dark than there being more lights around me. I like being in the dark because you cant see me but I can see you with my pair of night vision lens that I have. I am sure Special Forces also appreciate the darkness when conducting missions.  

My review of gunner glasses if any of you are interested: http://forums.evga.com/Gunnar-Glasses-m2005765.aspx

I actually have http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S0360X-Ultra-spec-SCT-Orange-Anti-Fog/dp/B003OBZ64M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407424667&sr=8-2&keywords=uvex+blue+blocker
It says anti-fog but I wore them in the shower and it got way too blurry, so .... not sure about that claim.  Other than that they work incredibly well.

nikkocortez
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2884
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/07 08:46:31 (permalink)
The first time I really noticed how bad light polution was in the states was when I was deployed to a "black out" condition camp in Afghanistan where no white lights were allowed to be used at night.  It was of course in the middle of nowhere and I had never seen that many stars before.  It was a pretty neat sight.
Superclocked Member
Re: Light Pollution - losing sight of stars benefiting NOBODY. Kills wildlife wastes money 2014/08/17 12:14:30 (permalink)
Just want to bump -- who has talked to their city officials about light pollution, I have not done so yet, but I seriously plan to, and I will do it.  I would think it's easier in a smaller area than a large one, and I'm not trying to rush anyone but the sooner the better!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile