EVGA

LEAK: Intel Alder Lake Mobility CPU Benchmarks Leaked: Faster Than The Apple M1 Max

Author
Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8295
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 45
2021/10/23 13:04:09 (permalink)
wccftech - Intel Alder Lake Mobility CPU Benchmarks Leaked: Faster Than The Apple M1 Max, Smokes AMD 5980HX, 11980HK

“We were able to exclusively get our hands on the first-ever benchmarks for Intel's upcoming Alder Lake mobility processors - which are going to go head to head against the Apple M1 Max processors clawing away market share as well as AMD's upcoming mobility chips. While we do not have the scores for AMD's next-generation mobility chips, we do have the scores for the current generation x86 chips as well as the validated score for Apple's M1 Max.

The Apple M1 Max is a fantastic chip and is going to push both AMD and Intel to perform at their very best. And while I doubt x86 architecture will ever beat ARM on power efficiency, absolute power (within roughly comparable battery life) is another matter altogether. Geekbench has historically been a benchmark where Apple has reigned supreme (because it relies heavily on algorithmic optimizations) but it was still pretty awe-inspiring to see the Apple M1 Max score absolutely decimating everything x86 in-sight. It even managed to beat Intel's flagship desktop chip: the Intel Core i9 11900K.

The Alder Lake's powerful p-cores effortlessly take the performance crown in the single-threaded benchmark with a score of 1851. To put this into perspective, Apple's 5 nm-based M1 Max chip scores 1785 in single-threaded performance. The Core i9 11980HK (note: we found several overclocked and stock benchmarks for this processor on Geekbench but will be using 'stock' configurations considering our ADL score is also stock and makes for a like-for-like comparison) follows behind with a score of 1616 and AMD's best mobility chip clocks in at 1506. This means Intel has improved the single-threaded performance by 14.5% generation over generation.

Almost all of us expected Intel to win on the single-threaded front because of high clock rates and some serious architectural improvements but what is surprising is that they even beat the Apple M1 Max on the multi-threaded front. The Alder Lake Core i9 12900HK mobility processor gets an astounding 13256 score which is followed by Apple at 12753 points. The Intel 11980HK (stock) is further into the horizon at 9149 points and AMD clocks in at 8217 points. This is a generation over generation increase of almost 45% in roughly the same TDP - although not surprising because even though the ADL-H CPU only has 8 "big cores" the small cores have proven to be quite powerful as well.

Now keep in mind, I have no qualms that Apple is still going to win on a power efficiency metric - they always have since the A11 - but Apple's reign as the fastest mobility chip ‘period’ seems like it is going to be short-lived (we expect ADL-H to land in early 2022). Another important point to note here is that this benchmark was done using Windows 11, which allows Intel's brand new Thread Director technology to run - so some of these gains could be the result of better hardware scheduling as well.”

My thoughts:  Bar charts are in the article.  Since the notebook market is on an upward trend, these results bode well for Intel mobile Alder Lake. 

6 Replies Related Threads

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: LEAK: Intel Alder Lake Mobility CPU Benchmarks Leaked: Faster Than The Apple M1 Max 2021/10/24 02:23:47 (permalink)
    This is a truly odd comparison. It's not like you have a choice in Mac CPUs anymore.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: LEAK: Intel Alder Lake Mobility CPU Benchmarks Leaked: Faster Than The Apple M1 Max 2021/10/24 02:44:46 (permalink)
    Intel screwed their chances to give Apple a much better CPU, which drove Apple to make their own CPU. Apple is already working on the next gen CPU. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: LEAK: Intel Alder Lake Mobility CPU Benchmarks Leaked: Faster Than The Apple M1 Max 2021/10/24 02:49:36 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Intel screwed their chances to give Apple a much better CPU, which drove Apple to make their own CPU. Apple is already working on the next gen CPU. 

But Apple is a closed off system so it doesn't really matter how much power they are given as they only need to be better then another model of MAC.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: LEAK: Intel Alder Lake Mobility CPU Benchmarks Leaked: Faster Than The Apple M1 Max 2021/10/24 03:47:05 (permalink)
    This what Gelsinger had to say about Apple:
    "Fried: Recently Apple said they're moving from Intel chips on the Mac to homegrown processors. Have you given up on the idea of the Mac running on Intel chips?

Gelsinger: I never give up on the idea of anything not running on Intel chips. And, you know, hey, you know, our stumbles, you know, Apple decided they could do a better chip themselves than we could. And, you know, they did a pretty good job. So what I have to do is create a better chip than they can do themselves. I would hope to win back this piece of their business, as well as many other pieces of business, over time. And in the meantime, I got to make sure that our products are better than theirs, that my ecosystem is more open and vibrant than theirs, and we create more compelling reason for developers and users to land on Intel-based products. So, I'm going to fight hard to win Tim's business in this area." (Source: MacRumors)

Time will tell if Intel and Apple will come to an agreement.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: LEAK: Intel Alder Lake Mobility CPU Benchmarks Leaked: Faster Than The Apple M1 Max 2021/10/24 08:00:45 (permalink)

I was about to buy a new laptop (not Apple), I think I might be best to wait a few months.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

JamesBStephens
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: LEAK: Intel Alder Lake Mobility CPU Benchmarks Leaked: Faster Than The Apple M1 Max 2021/10/25 08:21:55 (permalink)
    Depends honestly on what you're looking to do on that laptop :).  I've found really the processor never being the limiting factor in mobile computing but then again I'm not usually doing my heavy CAD work on a laptop.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile