Issue with a fan on 1080ti SC2

Author
Squidmaster7
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/02/13 08:30:20 (permalink)
Hi everyone, 

Recently, a fan on my 1080ti SC2 has stopped spinning. I noticed this because my temps were much higher than usual while gaming. I discovered that one of the fans was not spinning.I have been using Afterburner for many years to set a linear fan curve. Afterburner controls both fans and bypasses any iCX functionality. My first thought was that a fan header or something had gotten loose. I physically inspected the card and reseated it. No luck. I reinstalled all drivers and afterburner. No luck there either. So in a last ditch effort I installed Precision X (knowing that i could control each fan independently). Surprisingly, Precision X was able to move my fan. So now we know it is almost certainly not a hardware issue. 

This issue really confuses me. No settings changed in afterburner. I did notice this issue after doing a driver update but I doubt that actually triggered the problem and reverting did not help anyway. My question is what should my next step be? Is this worthy of an RMA? In my mind I have tried almost every single possible action. Does anyone have any advice? 

7 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Issue with a fan on 1080ti SC2 2020/02/13 10:25:53 (permalink)
    Squidmaster7
    Is this worthy of an RMA?

Nope, as precision can control the fan.
    Squidmaster7
    Re: Issue with a fan on 1080ti SC2 2020/02/13 11:49:10 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Squidmaster7
    Is this worthy of an RMA?

Nope, as precision can control the fan.

Thanks. I figured as much. I don't really want to send it in anyway. Do you know of any further steps I could take to troubleshoot the issue? I work in IT so I know there is tendency for people to overlook actions they may have taken that led to a problem but this is issue truly boggles my mind. I can not think of any further things to test. Ive tried restarting, clean installs of all drivers and monitoring software, etc. I suppose one of the last things I can do is uninstall Precision X and Afterburner and start a benchmark to see if the card itself kicks in both fans when it gets hot. 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Issue with a fan on 1080ti SC2 2020/02/13 15:07:26 (permalink)
    Not being able to control both fans via afterburner on an icx card is normal. ICX cards require precision for full control over all fans.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Issue with a fan on 1080ti SC2 2020/02/13 21:50:59 (permalink)
    MSI Afterburner Version 4.6.1 (and newer)

• Added asynchronous dual fan control support for reference design NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20x0 series graphics cards. Please take a note that only 100% NVIDIA reference design dual fan control implementations are supported, third party proprietary asynchronous fan control solutions (e.g. EVGA iCX series asynchronous fans) are not supported and will not be supported in future versions. The following asynchronous fan control functionality is available:
    • Added new “Synchronize fan speeds” button, which is allowing you to switch between synchronous and asynchronours fan control modes. Please take a note that new fan speed controls are available in v4 skins only, v3 and v2 skins are deprecated and no longer receive new functionality
    • When fan speeds synchronization is disabled, you may select and adjust each fan speed independently. For software automatic fan speed control mode independent temperature curves are also adjustable for each fan

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Issue with a fan on 1080ti SC2 2020/02/14 05:05:16 (permalink)
    Huh... what an oddity. I replied to this yesterday that Afterburner has never, as far as I am aware, been able to control async fans on Pascal ICX cards and was pondering how the OP managed to get it to work. And poof, it disappeared. 

Okay... I was not having a senior moment. I searched my history and I replied to you on GURU3D for the same issue. 
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2020/02/14 05:07:56

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Squidmaster7
    Re: Issue with a fan on 1080ti SC2 2020/02/14 06:30:29 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Huh... what an oddity. I replied to this yesterday that Afterburner has never, as far as I am aware, been able to control async fans on Pascal ICX cards and was pondering how the OP managed to get it to work. And poof, it disappeared. 

Okay... I was not having a senior moment. I searched my history and I replied to you on GURU3D for the same issue. 

Yeah, Ive been posting in a couple different places. I feel truly crazy. Heres what I think happened: Because of where my pc is placed (next to desk on the ground), I never end up seeing my fans. I thought Afterburner was able to control both fans, not independently mind you, just that both would at least respond to the setting you put the fans on. I was playing Metro Exodus and saw my temps rise much higher than normal. I took a look inside my pc and saw that a fan was not spinning. I promptly freaked out and underwent all the trouble to figure out what the issue might be. Now ive been informed that the second fan was never actually running. Incredible how my temps stayed at below 70c, I guess thats the power of the undervolt. Now I have the arduous task of trying to use Precision 1x and Afterburner side by side. I really wish I didnt have to but thats the only way I can manage both fans and keep my OSD settings. Precision1x really needs to up their game in the UI department. You cant change the size of the window at all. Editing my voltage curve was extremely difficult and I have a pretty large screen. 

(Post recovered from Spam filter by Cool GTX)
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2020/02/14 08:33:59
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Issue with a fan on 1080ti SC2 2020/02/14 12:45:04 (permalink)
    Squidmaster7
    HeavyHemi

Yeah, Ive been posting in a couple different places. I feel truly crazy. Heres what I think happened: Because of where my pc is placed (next to desk on the ground), I never end up seeing my fans. I thought Afterburner was able to control both fans, not independently mind you, just that both would at least respond to the setting you put the fans on. I was playing Metro Exodus and saw my temps rise much higher than normal. I took a look inside my pc and saw that a fan was not spinning. I promptly freaked out and underwent all the trouble to figure out what the issue might be. Now ive been informed that the second fan was never actually running. Incredible how my temps stayed at below 70c, I guess thats the power of the undervolt. Now I have the arduous task of trying to use Precision 1x and Afterburner side by side. I really wish I didnt have to but thats the only way I can manage both fans and keep my OSD settings. Precision1x really needs to up their game in the UI department. You cant change the size of the window at all. Editing my voltage curve was extremely difficult and I have a pretty large screen. 

(Post recovered from Spam filter by Cool GTX)

It was an unfortunate design decision to go with proprietary fan control. This along with the breakdown with Unwinder (Alexi the developer of Afterburner and the old Precision) a few years back over claims of IP theft. Afterburner and EVGA'S Precision used to be based on the same program. Now they are separate using separate code. The thing is, how Afterburner is written and interacts with the driver and Windows is stable and has been for years. EVGA has to try to replicate all that functionality using different code and different methods of accessing the driver, device output and how to display it. There's a reason there are only a couple monitoring programs around all based on the same underlying code. There's only a few ways to access the data and display it.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile