EVGA

Helpful ReplyIs liquid metal thermal paste extremely risky?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Is liquid metal thermal paste extremely risky? 2019/06/13 19:29:15 (permalink)
MX-4 is great from it's time and better than obviously stock and AS5 and many others but didn't realize these other newer TIMs had a higher thermal conductivity (W/m-k).  I think it's time I retire my MX-4 and venture to a newer TIM.  Not sure which one to go for as a liquid cooler and sometimes a OC'er.  LM is still a no for me so that's out of the question. lol

One thing we have to be careful is, the advertised numbers could be botched up so reviews by reputed folks are helpful in the decision on who to go with.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
tt0ne
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 138
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Is liquid metal thermal paste extremely risky? 2019/06/13 23:45:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MegaTimX 2019/06/14 00:53:51
I wouldn't even think of using anything else but Liquid Metal on my GPUs. It doesn't destroy the die - **** - don't spread rehashed rumors just because you thought someone who sounded smart on Reddit impressed you.

When it comes to liquid metal there are two things that are not debatable. 1) It's by far the best for cooling if you don't plan to go sub zero and 2) you have to be careful with the application and never mix it with aluminum because if you don't you'll end up with dead equipment. If you don't think you can apply it correctly or you don't feel like it is worth the risk then simply don't use it.

For those who say "never on my GPU" my response is "especially on my GPU." I won't respond to further comments and take mine for whatever you think they are worth. Also, read Jab's post way above mine - it's much more informative and probably much less offensive than mine.
post edited by tt0ne - 2019/06/13 23:51:16

---

MegaTimX
  • Total Posts : 48
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Is liquid metal thermal paste extremely risky? 2019/06/14 01:13:01 (permalink)
tt0ne
I wouldn't even think of using anything else but Liquid Metal on my GPUs. It doesn't destroy the die - **** - don't spread rehashed rumors just because you thought someone who sounded smart on Reddit impressed you.

When it comes to liquid metal there are two things that are not debatable. 1) It's by far the best for cooling if you don't plan to go sub zero and 2) you have to be careful with the application and never mix it with aluminum because if you don't you'll end up with dead equipment. If you don't think you can apply it correctly or you don't feel like it is worth the risk then simply don't use it.

For those who say "never on my GPU" my response is "especially on my GPU." I won't respond to further comments and take mine for whatever you think they are worth. Also, read Jab's post way above mine - it's much more informative and probably much less offensive than mine.

I actually realized that I have thermal tape that I use for my 3D printer that is rated up to 280c. I taped around the GPU die and then applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. I am pretty amazed. My GPU is consistently staying at 44c. With Hydronaut it was at closer to 54c. I have a custom loop with a 60mm thick 240mm radiator along with two 360mm radiators in line. Scanner auto overclocked my 2080 Ti Black at above 2000mhz. Memory is completely stable at +1000mhz. I really can't complain. The RMA process was a pain, but I think this card performs a bit better than my original.
tt0ne
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 138
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Is liquid metal thermal paste extremely risky? 2019/06/14 01:48:09 (permalink)
RMAs that end up being powerups are always the best ones :-) nice!

---

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile