Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
RainStryke
The Advocate
  • Total Posts : 15872
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 60
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/01 10:02:14 (permalink)
ty_ger07
GTXJackBauer
atfrico

Oh you bet!.  Let me know when you buy the CPU so i can add the magic sprinkles for ya

Will do!  

He's really going to buy one?!? Why?!? For what application? There are way better CPUs for gaming. And there are way better CPUs for creators. It's not really the right CPU for either application. Even in the price range, there is at least one CPU which is the same or better for cheaper. Read the reviews man! It's a refresh, and it is slower than a 9980XE. Even if you absolutely hate AMD, it still makes little sense; you can buy a used 7980XE right now, for cheaper, and it will perform better.

Having to switch platforms is the main issue. Sure you can go with a cheaper motherboard, but most won't want to sacrifice on features to move. The switch then requires another 300+ on a board to make the switch.

Main PC | Secondary PC
Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/01 10:06:32 (permalink)
RainStryke
ty_ger07
GTXJackBauer
atfrico

Oh you bet!.  Let me know when you buy the CPU so i can add the magic sprinkles for ya

Will do!  

He's really going to buy one?!? Why?!? For what application? There are way better CPUs for gaming. And there are way better CPUs for creators. It's not really the right CPU for either application. Even in the price range, there is at least one CPU which is the same or better for cheaper. Read the reviews man! It's a refresh, and it is slower than a 9980XE. Even if you absolutely hate AMD, it still makes little sense; you can buy a used 7980XE right now, for cheaper, and it will perform better.

Having to switch platforms is the main issue. Sure you can go with a cheaper motherboard, but most won't want to sacrifice on features to move. The switch then requires another 300+ on a board to make the switch.

I understand that switching to AMD isn't an option for some.  I kind of said that already, didn't I?  Like I said, regardless, even if someone is not going to buy a AMD CPU, why buy a 10980XE?  I mean, really, why?  I wish he would share his rationale and opinions.  Like I said, even completely ignoring the AMD CPUs, the 10980XE is still not a very good choice.  The 9900K is significantly cheaper and performs better in games.  Or, if games is not his intended application, you can buy a used 7980XE, right now (you don't even have to wait!), and the used 7980XE is clock-for-clock often faster than a 10980XE and is cheaper than a 10980XE.  So, please, GTXJackBauer, let us know your intended application and WHY do you think the 10980XE is a good option?  I mean, really, I want to know.

New 7980XE open box: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i9-7980XE-2-60GHz-Eigteen-Core-BX80673I97980X-PROCESSOR/183878245385 $999
Used 7980XE: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i9-7980XE-Professionally-Delidded-Sealed-by-Silicon-Lottery/223765499591 $950 - already delidded and relidded by silicon lottery
No use posting all of the links for 9900K or 9700K.
No use posting all of the links to all of the reviews for 10980XE where they unanimously recommend NOT buying a 10980XE.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/12/01 10:29:36

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/01 16:59:13 (permalink)
Tyger, you're being too aggressive and need a blue chill pill.  I don't need to explain to you or anyone why I use the HEDT platform but as I said earlier, I can't wait to grab a i9-10980XE because it's not the best or the worst chip on the planet.  I have my reasons why I want to and will not share it with you any further so you can criticize my decision and for the record, this decision wasn't based on being a 'fan boy' either for some that might misinterpret my comments.

That is all from my end.  Hope you're day is going well too.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/01 17:13:34 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Tyger, you're being too aggressive and need a blue chill pill.  I don't need to explain to you or anyone why I use the HEDT platform but as I said earlier, I can't wait to grab a i9-10980XE because it's not the best or the worst chip on the planet.  I have my reasons why I want to and will not share it with you any further so you can criticize my decision and for the record, this decision wasn't based on being a 'fan boy' either for some that might misinterpret my comments.

but..the          will make it better.  There is enough for everyone.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/01 17:52:19 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer

Alright, enjoy "the most disappointing CPU of 2019".

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

vegajf51
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 561
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/01 20:11:46 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer

Well said, no need to explain to anyone why or what you spend your hard earned money on.

Also its not a terrible CPU people, just not a good value(most HEDT isn't though), hell a few years ago when the slow 10 core 6950x was $1700 this CPU would have been jaw a dropping good value. Also if you already have a nice X299 setup its a great upgrade if on lower core count CPU. 
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/01 20:57:40 (permalink)
vegajf51
GTXJackBauer

Well said, no need to explain to anyone why or what you spend your hard earned money on.

Also its not a terrible CPU people, just not a good value(most HEDT isn't though), hell a few years ago when the slow 10 core 6950x was $1700 this CPU would have been jaw a dropping good value. Also if you already have a nice X299 setup its a great upgrade if on lower core count CPU. 

Just like Nvidia, Intel is doing the same thing, milking the same tech. Many reviewers stated  why release a refresh instead of of a new tech, better yet, work on a better CPU to compete. Funny how the table turns right? Ironic is it not? when table turns to those that were bashing the underdog all this time (AMD) now they are hurt that Intel is not longer the so called Titan, monopoly, dominated force. 
Like it or not, it is said and done, Intel does not longer dominates the CPU market anymore. 
Dell calling out Intel is completely an embarrassment. Where are the profits Intel gain all these years?

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/01 21:28:58 (permalink)
vegajf51
GTXJackBauer

Appreciate that.  It's just in my case, its makes more sense for me to go this route otherwise it would actually cost me more out of pocket to make the switch plus, I'd like to stick with EVGA Support cause they rock.  I guess I'm a Intel, Nvidia and EVGA fanboy now. 

ty_ger07

atfrico

Funny how the table turns right? Ironic is it not? when table turns to those that were bashing the underdog all this time (AMD) now they are hurt that Intel is not longer the so called Titan, monopoly, dominated force. 
Like it or not, it is said and done, Intel does not longer dominates the CPU market anymore. 
Dell calling out Intel is completely an embarrassment. Where are the profits Intel gain all these years?

What in the hell are you mumbling about?  AMD finally beat intel in the CPUs and it hasn't been even a year yet versus intel's 10+???  This is a joke if you want to go toe to toe.  I suspect intel is pulling back so they don't get slapped by anti-trust lawsuits since they dominated for so long and still do in market share.  It will take TIME for AMD to take a few sprinkles off but by than, Intel will be back into the game.  The jokes on you sprinkle dust.  

Oh and btw, let me add this tidbit.

Source
post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/12/01 21:31:05

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/01 21:40:51 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
vegajf51
GTXJackBauer

Appreciate that.  It's just in my case, its makes more sense for me to go this route otherwise it would actually cost me more out of pocket to make the switch plus, I'd like to stick with EVGA Support cause they rock.  I guess I'm a Intel, Nvidia and EVGA fanboy now. 

ty_ger07

atfrico

Funny how the table turns right? Ironic is it not? when table turns to those that were bashing the underdog all this time (AMD) now they are hurt that Intel is not longer the so called Titan, monopoly, dominated force. 

What in the hell are you mumbling about?  AMD finally beat intel in the CPUs and it hasn't been even a year yet versus intel's 10+???  This is a joke if you want to go toe to toe.  I suspect intel is pulling back so they don't get slapped by anti-trust lawsuits since they dominated for so long and still do in market share.  It will take TIME for AMD to take a few sprinkles off but by than, Intel will be back into the game.  The jokes on you sprinkle dust.  

Oh and btw, let me add this tidbit.

Source

Yay a valid favor side Intel review. Let me ignore all those reviews that are spot on on telling the truth and go by the one you posted.

fact: the joke is on those in denial. You sure are having a good early morning day.

RainStryke
The Advocate
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/01 21:46:25 (permalink)
I just spent some time messing around with a i9 9820X this weekend and it wasn't anything special on my X299 set-up and it's actually worse than my i7 7820X when it came down to gaming... My i7 9700K has been hitting 100% CPU utilization while playing some of the more recent games. I spent about 10 hours of today messing around with the i9 9900K and i9 9900KS. My G.Skill memory does not work with it's XMP profile on the i9 9900K. It does work on the i9 9900KS, but it blue screens every 20 minutes or so. They both run really hot too... So they both were returned. My RAM is listed on the QVL list for the Gigabyte X570 Master board... I'll likely pick up a 3900X, a PCI-E 4.0 drive and that Gigabyte board up after work tomorrow to see the difference...

Main PC | Secondary PC

32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17

Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 02:21:27 (permalink)
I don't know why someone say reviews about Cascade Lake-X are terrible and people shouldn't buy.
Cascade Lake-X with 18 core have significant frequency for so many cores and it's great gaming audio/video editing processors for amateurs and home users. More then enough. You don't need to tolerate 3.5GHz all the time because insane number of cores. 
My recommendation for hard core gaming RIG go exactly to 10900X/10920X or 10980XE depend of budget.
AMD dominate with huge number of cores, Intel with highest frequency on mainstream, this is between them, best from both worlds.
And important part is best possible motherboard, peace of art, X299 Dark.
What people should buy Zenith II Extreme for 850$ and 24 cores? For games? No, 10920X and X299 Dark with 32GB 3200MHz C14.

post edited by Vlada011 - 2019/12/02 02:27:56

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

vegajf51
SSC Member
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 02:31:31 (permalink)
Vlada011
I don't know why someone say reviews about Cascade Lake-X are terrible and people shouldn't buy.
Cascade Lake-X with 18 core have significant frequency for so many cores and it's great gaming audio/video editing processors for amateurs and home users. More then enough. You don't need to tolerate 3.5GHz all the time because insane number of cores. 
My recommendation for hard core gaming RIG go exactly to 10900X/10920X or 10980XE depend of budget.

You are correct Cascade lake aren't terrible CPU's, they are just disappointing. The aren't the best at anything except AVX512, Threadripper 3k is better at almost everything including gaming unless the cascade lake cpu is heavily overclocked which throws efficiency out the window. The 9900k is a better gaming CPU really for 99% of the people out there. Threadripper is better for work like task like Adobe Premier or rendering. Cascade Lake is a decent CPU and the right choice for some, it just has a very niche strength which makes it hard to recommend.
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 04:01:05 (permalink)
The CPU is terrible for the price and performance. Intel is following Nvidia shannigans, overpricing products with a refresh of the same tech. In another words i find it insulting these companies treat their customers like they are dumb people who don't have the brains to know they are being overcharged. You are paying more due to its name brand that is it. AMD have to charge according to its performance not brand name.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102322
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 05:01:53 (permalink)
atfrico
The CPU is terrible for the price and performance. Intel is following Nvidia shannigans, overpricing products with a refresh of the same tech. In another words i find it insulting these companies treat their customers like they are dumb people who don't have the brains to know they are being overcharged. You are paying more due to its name brand that is it. AMD have to charge according to its performance not brand name.

The Ryzen 9 3950X is a better choice and has less heat if you want more than 12 cores. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 06:03:31 (permalink)
You want to say that Threadripper on lower frequency have higher fps then Intel Cascade Lake-X in games with max usage 4-6 cores?
How?
Anyway gaming PC will soon to become one board size Mini ITX with build in processor,
graphic processor and some excellent Sound chip with 150W power consumption.
post edited by Vlada011 - 2019/12/02 06:05:49

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 06:48:31 (permalink)
Vlada011
You want to say that Threadripper on lower frequency have higher fps then Intel Cascade Lake-X in games with max usage 4-6 cores?

Check the reviews. The AMD Ryzen 9 3650X has overall better performance (including gaming) than any Cascade Lake-X CPU. There are some games or applications where that isn't the case, but as the reviewers say, when the Intel 10980XE does beat the AMD 3650X, the performance difference is insignificant; and overall the AMD outperforms the Intel CPU on average. And the AMD 3650X is significantly cheaper, and uses less power. To add insult to injury, there are 2 even higher performance AMD CPUs to choose from, but at a significantly higher price.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/12/02 06:51:29

RainStryke
The Advocate
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 06:57:38 (permalink)
The Ryzen 9 3950X is very hard to obtain though.

It does look like the i9 10900X is in stock now:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007671%2050001157%20601345721&Manufactory=1157

That's probably the best for gaming since it's base/boost frequencies are a little higher.

Main PC | Secondary PC

vegajf51
SSC Member
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 07:10:03 (permalink)
Vlada011
How?
Anyway gaming PC will soon to become one board size Mini ITX with build in processor,

It's called better IPC,(instructions per cycle) Ryzen 3k and threadripper 3 have a more efficient core. Look at the single core on all the Ryzen 3k stuff, its all at lower clocks and less power but still right there with high clocked intel. Multi-core is just icing on the cake. I will say Intel has better overclocking head room though but efficiency goes out the window.

Clock speed isn't everything, that is the reason a old Sandy bridge CPU's at 4.0 Ghz would easily out perform an old AMD FX cpu at 5.0 Ghz. The old AMD bulldozer core was very inefficient, things have changed around this time.

vegajf51
SSC Member
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 07:12:27 (permalink)
Vlada011

That's the definition of a gaming console, we already have those...
Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8328
  • Ribbons : 47
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 08:27:56 (permalink)
RainStryke
I just spent some time messing around with a i9 9820X this weekend and it wasn't anything special on my X299 set-up and it's actually worse than my i7 7820X when it came down to gaming... My i7 9700K has been hitting 100% CPU utilization while playing some of the more recent games. I spent about 10 hours of today messing around with the i9 9900K and i9 9900KS. My G.Skill memory does not work with it's XMP profile on the i9 9900K. It does work on the i9 9900KS, but it blue screens every 20 minutes or so. They both run really hot too... So they both were returned. My RAM is listed on the QVL list for the Gigabyte X570 Master board... I'll likely pick up a 3900X, a PCI-E 4.0 drive and that Gigabyte board up after work tomorrow to see the difference...

From all the benchmark websites I have checked out...the 9820X was called "7820X Extreme".  However...the issue was...that with the lower cost, one had to accept lower clocks and higher voltages.  So in order to get the most out of the 9820X, you had to manipulate the voltage and clocks in order to get better than 7820X performance.  I spent some appreciable time with some folks at techpowerup.com and kept massaging my 7820X until I found the sweet spot.  My goal was to up performance, per core...while keeping voltages low enough to keep temps below 90C.  The sweet spot, for my X299 FTW K is 1.17 V with all core at 46 and mesh at 30.  At full load, my CPU runs at 84C maxxed out.  I can get 4.8 GHZ on all core at 1.19 v, but the temps of the chip reach 92C at full load, which made me uncomfortable.  I will keep at 4.6 and my performance in Cinebench R20 is pretty decent. 

I can live with this for now.  There is no question that the new AMD Ryzen series is a better value.  Intel has overpriced "Cascade Lake X) by anywhere from $100-$150 per chip level.  The 10900X is supposed to be $599, but anyone who has it in stock is charging $699.   The 10920X is supposed to be $699 but right now can be found at $799 and so on.  Intel should be charging $499 for the 10900X and $549 for the 10920X and things would be more interesting.  The 10980X is $999 and can be found for $1099...vendors are showing greed...and frankly price vs performance is really low with Intel right now.  For $999 you can get the AMD Ryzen 9 3950 and a good motherboard.  For the price of the 10920X (12 core), you can get a Ryzen 9 3900X (12 core) and a 570 chipset motherboard.  The performance leans toward Ryzen, right now...because single core is on par with Intel, but multicore is owned by AMD.  I am sitting on the money I put aside to upgrade (my true wish was to keep my EVGA X299 FTW K motherboard and upgrade the processor), but Intel and vendors are making it difficult because they still  overvalue their product line...then with vendors inflating the price...it becomes ridiculous!  So for now...I tweaked my 7820X and am satisfied enough to let time pass, to see where it all goes...
post edited by bobmitch - 2019/12/02 08:35:05

Attached Image(s)

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

RainStryke
The Advocate
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 09:11:12 (permalink)
bobmitch
RainStryke

From all the benchmark websites I have checked out...the 9820X was called "7820X Extreme".  However...the issue was...that with the lower cost, one had to accept lower clocks and higher voltages.  So in order to get the most out of the 9820X, you had to manipulate the voltage and clocks in order to get better than 7820X performance.  I spent some appreciable time with some folks at techpowerup.com and kept massaging my 7820X until I found the sweet spot.  My goal was to up performance, per core...while keeping voltages low enough to keep temps below 90C.  The sweet spot, for my X299 FTW K is 1.17 V with all core at 46 and mesh at 30.  At full load, my CPU runs at 84C maxxed out.  I can get 4.8 GHZ on all core at 1.19 v, but the temps of the chip reach 92C at full load, which made me uncomfortable.  I will keep at 4.6 and my performance in Cinebench R20 is pretty decent. 

I can live with this for now.  There is no question that the new AMD Ryzen series is a better value.  Intel has overpriced "Cascade Lake X) by anywhere from $100-$150 per chip level.  The 10900X is supposed to be $599, but anyone who has it in stock is charging $699.   The 10920X is supposed to be $699 but right now can be found at $799 and so on.  Intel should be charging $499 for the 10900X and $549 for the 10920X and things would be more interesting.  The 10980X is $999 and can be found for $1099...vendors are showing greed...and frankly price vs performance is really low with Intel right now.  For $999 you can get the AMD Ryzen 9 3950 and a good motherboard.  For the price of the 10920X (12 core), you can get a Ryzen 9 3900X (12 core) and a 570 chipset motherboard.  The performance leans toward Ryzen, right now...because single core is on par with Intel, but multicore is owned by AMD.  I am sitting on the money I put aside to upgrade (my true wish was to keep my EVGA X299 FTW K motherboard and upgrade the processor), but Intel and vendors are making it difficult because they still  overvalue their product line...then with vendors inflating the price...it becomes ridiculous!  So for now...I tweaked my 7820X and am satisfied enough to let time pass, to see where it all goes...

Yeah, I spent a decent amount of time on my i7 7820X tweaking it. Before deliding, I was maxed out at 4.7GHz. The drop in temps from the delid allowed a 4.8GHz overclock. I tried messing around with the i9 9820X by just playing around with the multiplier. I expect it would be good for 4.6GHz but as soon as I clicked accept, my PC crashed and wouldn't recover. I had to pull the CMOS battery from the board to get it back up again and I didn't have the patience to mess with overclocking if I needed to remove the CMOS battery every time I get an unstable clock.

I'm kinda in limbo right now too... I've spent quite a bit of money on my set-up's as it is right now and selling off parts from 2 rigs to get a Ryzen set-up is making me reconsider doing anything at all. I'm probably just going to chill for a few months to see if anything is worth waiting out for.

Main PC | Secondary PC

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 09:31:42 (permalink)
RainStryke
The Ryzen 9 3950X is very hard to obtain though.

It does look like the i9 10900X is in stock now:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007671%2050001157%20601345721&Manufactory=1157

That's probably the best for gaming since it's base/boost frequencies are a little higher.

The AMD Ryzen 9 3950X and Threadripper 3rd gen CPUs are very high in demand and AMD can't make enough of them. They came back in stock today at Newegg and sold out in 3 minutes. The Intel 10980XE is in the same situation. 

Both Intel and AMD have vastly underestimated demand for HEDT CPUs and both companies will have supply issues for these CPUs for various reasons for weeks. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 09:40:17 (permalink)
I found the link I was looking for:
"300+ Benchmarks With AMD Threadripper 3960X vs. Intel Core i9 10980XE"
https://www.phoronix.com/...960x-10980xe&num=1

Lots of bars on the AMD 3960x side.

atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 11:16:52 (permalink)
rjohnson11
atfrico

The Ryzen 9 3950X is a better choice and has less heat if you want more than 12 cores. 

It is a.better.option.and many out.there but certain people dont want to hear that.
Drivers need to mature for both sides so waiting a few more months will not hurt. Tax season is coming in the next couple of months so take advantage of the parts you need to upgrade. There still Xmas and new year end sales.

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/02 11:58:12 (permalink)
I'd be interesting in the 3950X but I don't like its limitations on PCIe Lanes.  3960X is way out of budget hence my decision on the 10980XE.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
random_matt
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2040
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/04 10:28:11 (permalink)
Is the 7920/40X a better buy? I can actually get them cheaper and have a delid tool.

Corsair 5000D Airflow | EVGA 1000 G6 | EVGA X570 FTW | Ryzen 5800X | EVGA 360 CLC | Corsair 4000MHz 32GB|
Corsair MP600 2TB | EVGA 3080 Ti FTW Hybrid | Alienware AW2721D | Windows 11

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/04 12:05:40 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
I'd be interesting in the 3950X but I don't like its limitations on PCIe Lanes.  3960X is way out of budget hence my decision on the 10980XE.

Any of the CPUs you mentioned will be very hard to find right now due to Intel and AMD supply issues.

vegajf51
SSC Member
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/04 12:58:24 (permalink)
random_matt
Is the 7920/40X a better buy? I can actually get them cheaper and have a delid tool.

If cheaper then probably.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/04 14:40:18 (permalink)
random_matt

ty_ger07
Or, if games is not his intended application, you can buy a used 7980XE, right now (you don't even have to wait!), and the used 7980XE is clock-for-clock often faster than a 10980XE and is cheaper than a 10980XE. ...

New 7980XE open box: https://www.ebay.com/itm/...PROCESSOR/183878245385 $999
Used 7980XE: https://www.ebay.com/itm/...n-Lottery/223765499591 $950 - already delidded and relidded by silicon lottery

Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8328
  • Ribbons : 47
Re: Intel Core i9-10980XE Review: 18-Core Cascade Lake-X Battles AMD 2019/12/04 16:00:39 (permalink)
vegajf51
random_matt

If cheaper then probably.

Don't forget, too...that the original Skylake-X (even though were pasted instead of soldered)...have a lower TDP of 140W (except the top tier...but 7940 is 140W) vs the refresh and 109XX series, which both have 165.  The latter gens are going to be as hot as the original series...but the original series are supposedly better overclockers.  The 7920 may get you where you want to go. 

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile