I got poisoned by sunblock!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2233
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: I got poisoned by sunblock! 2014/08/12 20:31:23 (permalink)
kaninja

No, that is not how SPF works. Horsepower scales 1:1, SPF rating does not.

UVB is what causes burns and SPF is the % under optimal conditions that the sunscreen will block.

SPF 15 blocks 94%
SPF 30 blocks 97%
SPF 50 blocks 98%
SPF 100 blocks 99%

When properly applied nobody will notice a difference in the 1-2% difference between 30 and 100. SPF ratings are the most misunderstood thing ever.

My point was never to make an exact match. It is great that you know these specifics, but the point you make is not accurate. Even based on your additional information, the impact of what seems to be a small percentage of UVB can be very harmful. Sunscreens work, even though the stats say skin cancer is on the rise.

To tell someone who burns with just a small unnoticeable difference of 3% UVB and may develop cancer later in life, as the impact of this takes up to 30 years to change the genetic make-up of the skin cells, is useless shows a basic lack of understanding no matter what stats you know.

It very disingenuous to them, let alone your disregard for anything other than backing your stance up with meaningless information. I always abide by the statement, "Stats lie." Another one is "Liars use stats" to support them in times of need. This is not me calling you a liar, just making my point more strongly.

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: I got poisoned by sunblock! 2014/08/12 22:27:23 (permalink)
Grey_Beard
kaninja

No, that is not how SPF works. Horsepower scales 1:1, SPF rating does not.

UVB is what causes burns and SPF is the % under optimal conditions that the sunscreen will block.

SPF 15 blocks 94%
SPF 30 blocks 97%
SPF 50 blocks 98%
SPF 100 blocks 99%

When properly applied nobody will notice a difference in the 1-2% difference between 30 and 100. SPF ratings are the most misunderstood thing ever.

My point was never to make an exact match. It is great that you know these specifics, but the point you make is not accurate. Even based on your additional information, the impact of what seems to be a small percentage of UVB can be very harmful. Sunscreens work, even though the stats say skin cancer is on the rise.

To tell someone who burns with just a small unnoticeable difference of 3% UVB and may develop cancer later in life, as the impact of this takes up to 30 years to change the genetic make-up of the skin cells, is useless shows a basic lack of understanding no matter what stats you know.

It very disingenuous to them, let alone your disregard for anything other than backing your stance up with meaningless information. I always abide by the statement, "Stats lie." Another one is "Liars use stats" to support them in times of need. This is not me calling you a liar, just making my point more strongly.

You make no sense. The FDA themselves are thinking of capping ratings at 30 or 50 because of almost no difference between an SPF 100 and SPF 30. Australia, Europe, and Canada already have caps. Your comparison of SPF to horsepower was just plain wrong and that was my point. 100hp is twice as much power as 50hp. 100SPF is 1% more theoretical protection than SPF 50 and it is a fact almost nobody knows this.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2233
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: I got poisoned by sunblock! 2014/08/13 03:44:14 (permalink)
kaninja

You make no sense. The FDA themselves are thinking of capping ratings at 30 or 50 because of almost no difference between an SPF 100 and SPF 30. Australia, Europe, and Canada already have caps. Your comparison of SPF to horsepower was just plain wrong and that was my point. 100hp is twice as much power as 50hp. 100SPF is 1% more theoretical protection than SPF 50 and it is a fact almost nobody knows this.

If 1% was a not a relative number than you would be right. Although 100 hp is twice that of 50 hp, in this scenario to say a percent does not matter is irresponsible. If a percent here or there did not matter, then banks would never make money. Since they handle trillions of dollars each day, even a change of .01% matters since it creates a rather large amounted money for the bank. The amount of UVB hitting a person while in the elements is a large amount, so the percent changes really matter. In this case, we agree to disagree.

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: I got poisoned by sunblock! 2014/08/13 17:12:16 (permalink)
Grey_Beard
kaninja

If 1% was a not a relative number than you would be right. Although 100 hp is twice that of 50 hp, in this scenario to say a percent does not matter is irresponsible. If a percent here or there did not matter, then banks would never make money. Since they handle trillions of dollars each day, even a change of .01% matters since it creates a rather large amounted money for the bank. The amount of UVB hitting a person while in the elements is a large amount, so the percent changes really matter. In this case, we agree to disagree.

What if you end up getting cancer because of the extra chemicals in stronger sunscreen? What if you get cancer because of dust or smoke? What if you get cancer because of sugar free soda? Does 0.01% or 1% really matter when there is so much more out there which is so much worse?

While standing in the middle lane of a busy freeway, I have reduced my risk of drowning to nearly 0%.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2014/08/13 17:45:35
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: I got poisoned by sunblock! 2014/08/13 18:51:51 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Grey_Beard
kaninja

What if you end up getting cancer because of the extra chemicals in stronger sunscreen? What if you get cancer because of dust or smoke? What if you get cancer because of sugar free soda? Does 0.01% or 1% really matter when there is so much more out there which is so much worse?

While standing in the middle lane of a busy freeway, I have reduced my risk of drowning to nearly 0%.

ha ha ha, so true.  How about the studies that show inconclusive results as to the effectiveness of sunscreen preventing skin cancer in the first place.  What is even more interesting is that outdoor workers have reduced rates of melanoma compared to indoor workers.....Holy Vitamin D batman that makes no sense!!!

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

boylerya
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1910
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: I got poisoned by sunblock! 2014/08/13 19:19:49 (permalink)
RushXTC
http://www.doctoroz.com/v...might-be-poisoning-you

Studied in the environmental sciences at Rutgers University.  The article discusses sunscreens with chemicals that act as endocrine disruptors which would not cause sickness in the short-term, just cancer and birth defects in the long-term.  "And chemical sunscreens are even harder to study since their effects are subtle and take a long time to appear."  Keep in mind that endocrine disruptors are everywhere and thats one big reason why the cancer rate is so high.  PCBs are the most common endocrine disruptors with 209 congeners that are lipid soluble (absorb into your skin), which are found in yellow plastic bags, the seafood you eat, and spread throughout the environment worldwide.  Fastest way of figuring this out would be to put more of that sunscreen on.....

Since endocrine disruptors are stored in your fat cells, the best way to remove these contaminants from your body is by drinking lots of very clean bottled water, exercising to remove fats and the contaminants bound to them, and reducing your intake of foods that contain endocrine distruptors.  Otherwise these contaminants will stay in your body for up around 15 years or more.  Keep in mind everyone has a threshold value based on health, age, and so on.  When the contaminant accumulates beyond that threshold is when the cancer will start.  A female may have a safe level of contaminants well below her threshold value.  But then if she becomes pregnant, the baby will have a much lower threshold value.  When the contaminants in the mother are higher than the baby's threshold value is when a birth defect occurs correlating with testicles not dropping, transgender, and more.
post edited by boylerya - 2014/08/13 19:40:48

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
Garlic is the Antichrist.
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: I got poisoned by sunblock! 2014/08/13 19:54:27 (permalink)
boylerya
RushXTC

Studied in the environmental sciences at Rutgers University.  The article discusses sunscreens with chemicals that act as endocrine disruptors which would not cause sickness in the short-term, just cancer and birth defects in the long-term.  "And chemical sunscreens are even harder to study since their effects are subtle and take a long time to appear."  Keep in mind that endocrine disruptors are everywhere and thats one big reason why the cancer rate is so high.  PCBs are the most common endocrine disruptors with 209 congeners that are lipid soluble (absorb into your skin), which are found in yellow plastic bags, the seafood you eat, and spread throughout the environment worldwide.  Fastest way of figuring this out would be to put more of that sunscreen on.....

Since endocrine disruptors are stored in your fat cells, the best way to remove these contaminants from your body is by drinking lots of very clean bottled water, exercising to remove fats and the contaminants bound to them, and reducing your intake of foods that contain endocrine distruptors.  Otherwise these contaminants will stay in your body for up around 15 years or more.  Keep in mind everyone has a threshold value based on health, age, and so on.  When the contaminant accumulates beyond that threshold is when the cancer will start.  A female may have a safe level of contaminants well below her threshold value.  But then if she becomes pregnant, the baby will have a much lower threshold value.  When the contaminants in the mother are higher than the baby's threshold value is when a birth defect occurs correlating with testicles not dropping, transgender, and more.

Cool post and really informative.  Thanks.

boylerya
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1910
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: I got poisoned by sunblock! 2014/08/13 20:43:58 (permalink)
kaninja
boylerya
RushXTC

Cool post and really informative.  Thanks.

Yep, keeps me depressed everyday.  Should probably include that endocrine disruptors cause cancer in the areas of the body related to sex.  So breast cancer, ovarian cancer, testicular cancer, and so on.  In fact, if a baby boy doesnt have its testicles drop due to a birth defect caused by an endocrine disruptor; that testicle or testicles that did not drop is said to always become cancerous if not removed after birth.
post edited by boylerya - 2014/08/13 20:50:00

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
Garlic is the Antichrist.
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: I got poisoned by sunblock! 2014/08/13 20:50:02 (permalink)
boylerya

Yep, keeps me depressed everyday.  Should probably include that endocrine disruptors cause cancer in the areas of the body related to sex.  So breast cancer, ovarian cancer, testicular cancer, and so on.  In fact if a baby boy doesnt have its testicles drop due to birth defect caused by an endocrine disruptor; that testicle or testicles that did not drop is said to always become cancerous if not removed after birth.

Nuts need to hang proper.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile