EVGA

I don't know what to do anymore

Author
geriaktricks
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/01/20 20:51:17 (permalink)
This might be a long post and I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I just need somewhere to vent about my experience with EVGA over the last few years and maybe if I tell my story there is a chance someone can help me out, because I'm extremely frustrated right now and I just don't know what to do anymore.

So I have been an EVGA customer since 2012. Had no issues with the first two video cards I bought from them. The trouble started about 2 1/2 years ago when I bought a Supernova 850 GS power supply from them. I ended up posting a thread about it awhile back (forums.evga.com/EVGA-850-GS-PSU-3-RMAs-later-still-having-the-same-issue-m2496454.aspx) Long story short, I ended up returning this thing 5 times because every unit I got would work for about a week and then just stop powering on. In addition to all the troubleshooting I did involving the paperclip test and installing several of these units into different computers to ensure it was a faulty unit, after doing some research I found several reviews on newegg complaining about the same thing, some of them also stated that they had gone through several RMAs. There was also a thread started on overclock.net awhile back about the GS power supply's where several people complained about similar issues. Despite this, EVGA claimed that all of the units that I sent back had passed their internal testing, but they eventually decided to send me a different model, a 850 G2. This model has been working fine since I got it.

Now, after all of that, for some stupid reason a year later I decided to buy a 1080TI FTW3 from EVGA. I guess I have a short memory. Anyways, this thing lasted about 6 months before I started getting severe artifacting in games which was getting worse over time and caused me to have to reduce clockspeeds below default settings to get it stable. I will mention that when I first got this card I tried briefly to overclock it but could barely hold +20 mhz clock speed, so I just left it at default settings since then. It also saw very little usage over those 6 months since between work and school I was lucky if I could get a few hours of gaming a week. Anyway's, I started the very familiar process of putting in support tickets and calmly going through all of their troubleshooting steps, which included sticking this card into two other computers with the exact same results. Then I start the RMA process.

So I get the new card in and send the old one back (which cost me $40 in shipping and insurance) and guess what? The new card just immediately gets a video driver crash within 5 secs of anything that pushes the card near 100%. The only way I can get it to work is if I put it in debug mode which disables gpu boost, then it runs fine. Open up another support ticket, go through all the troubleshooting steps once again (power connections secure with two different cables, wipe and reinstall drivers, no overclocks applied to anything, try in a different computer and get the same exact results) One time they asked for a firestrike score (which I had to downclock the gpu to get it to pass) and suggested that my CPU was the problem because firestrike reported that it ran at 4,398 mhz instead of 4,400 mhz, and that I should try overclocking the cpu slightly. Seriously?

Eventually I get offered another RMA. I ask them if there is any way I can get a shipping label because I can't keep paying shipping if they are just going to keep sending me defective products. Guess what? Apparently the first card I sent in cleared their testing so they won't give me a shipping label. How is this possible? I installed that card on three different computers and got the same artifacting within 5-10 mins of gameplay each time. I don't understand how this could possibly be anything other than a faulty card. So now some poor soul is probably going to end up with the card I sent back and here I am stuck debating whether I should spend more money to ship this thing back and play the lottery again, or just deal with no GPU boost. I suppose I should feel lucky that I got one before all the miners bought them up, but I just feel cheated that I could have bought a founders edition for $100 less and it would have been faster than what I have now.

I think it's safe to say that I'm done with EVGA for real this time and will not be purchasing anymore products from them in the future. I cannot recall ever having to send a product back from any other company, and here I am considering starting my 7th RMA with EVGA. Not sure if whining on the forums is going to get me anywhere, but really I just needed somewhere to vent because I'm so pissed off I can't sleep right now. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Is their QA really this bad or am I just the unluckiest customer in EVGAs history?
post edited by geriaktricks - 2018/01/20 20:54:13

12 Replies Related Threads

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: I don't know what to do anymore 2018/01/20 21:15:37 (permalink)
    Probably better off for EVGA if you do not buy from them again. 5 psu have the same issue and 2 different 1080 Ti have issues. EVGA says all the units checked out good, I question EVGA would be wrong or dishonest 7 times. You think it's free for EVGA to keep shipping you faulty products?
    geriaktricks
    Re: I don't know what to do anymore 2018/01/21 05:42:46 (permalink)
    kram36
    Probably better off for EVGA if you do not buy from them again. 5 psu have the same issue and 2 different 1080 Ti have issues. EVGA says all the units checked out good, I question EVGA would be wrong or dishonest 7 times. You think it's free for EVGA to keep shipping you faulty products?

Wasn't trying to accuse them of being dishonest. The power supply issue was very strange. It would work fine for about a week, then just randomly wouldn't want to power on. Let it sit for a few hours, then it would work fine until you shut the computer off again. Let it sit for a few days to a week and it would power on and off with no issues for a few days before the problem would come back. It's possible they got a bad batch and this issue didn't show up in their testing since it would only start happening after a few days. As far as the video card I sent back passing their testing, I don't know. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438034
    Forum won't let me post links, but here is the address to the unit I bought on newegg. Look through the reviews and see how many you can find with people complaining about their unit not powering on unless they let it sit for a few hours. There are quite a few of them. Many of them say they have sent the unit back several times. I am not the only one that had this issue.

forums.evga.com/Supernova-850-GS-PSU-problems-2nd-unit-m2488599.aspx#2527888
    Someone else had a similar issue and posted to the forums here. Went through 2 RMAs and then they sent him a G2 like they did to me and he had no issues since.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: I don't know what to do anymore 2018/01/21 07:29:30 (permalink)
    Don't settle with talking to a basic tech at evga, they don't have the power to approve prepaid shipping label for you. Talk to a supervisor about it. If you still feel evga not doing right by you, send an email to  ChrisB@evga.com  about it.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: I don't know what to do anymore 2018/01/21 08:51:40 (permalink)
    The power supply issue was very strange. It would work fine for about a week,

Sounds like Bad Power from your Elect Company. 

What type of UPS or Surge Protector are you using and how old Old are they?
    A Power Stripe is not Surge Protector.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/01/21 08:54:55

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

geriaktricks
    Re: I don't know what to do anymore 2018/01/21 11:21:04 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    The power supply issue was very strange. It would work fine for about a week,

Sounds like Bad Power from your Elect Company. 

What type of UPS or Surge Protector are you using and how old Old are they?
    A Power Stripe is not Surge Protector.

I use this: amazon.com/gp/product/B000UD3LPI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Bought it about two years ago.
    One of the computers I use for troubleshooting belongs to my sister. She lives in the next town over and I drive over to her place and swap parts into her computer to test and get the same results. Doesn't seem very likely that we both have bad power causing the card to act the same way. Not sure how I would test for something like that. Never had any issues with any other electronics before.

post edited by geriaktricks - 2018/01/21 11:22:59
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: I don't know what to do anymore 2018/01/21 11:35:25 (permalink)
    $75K INSURANCE (TLP825) I would ask them for some money.
    But also a 25 Foot Cord is a Little Long.
    I take it that Only the Computer is Plugged in and nothing else?
    Also are you mixing Power Supply Cables between Different Makes and in some cases Different Models?

Last it are you using all 3 Prongs that is it is Grounded?
    You are not doing this are you?

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/01/21 14:25:26

Attached Image(s)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49170
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: I don't know what to do anymore 2018/01/21 14:09:59 (permalink)
    This is what I would do If I were in your situation...

#1 Stop rma'ing for the moment.
    #2 Buy a completely different card such as a titan xp from nvidia. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-store/ (comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, so you can return the card anytime within the first 30 days to get your money back.)
    #3 Test out the titan xp for as long as you'd like then return it if you can't afford to keep it. This step will ultimately tell you if you're receiving faulty cards from evga.
    #4 Report your results to evga if the titan xp gives you no issues. Providing a video of the ftw3 artifacting at stock clocks, and not artifacting in debug mode, as well as the titan xp working at stock clocks would be a good thing to send in to evga as well.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: I don't know what to do anymore 2018/01/21 14:30:53 (permalink)
    Do like i posted, go above the normal tech head to ask about a prepaid shipping label.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: I don't know what to do anymore 2018/01/21 14:33:47 (permalink)
    My last post is the thing you should do If you just keep getting the run around.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: I don't know what to do anymore 2018/01/21 20:26:08 (permalink)

Moved to the Warranty section.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    geriaktricks
    Re: I don't know what to do anymore 2018/01/29 09:19:24 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    $75K INSURANCE () I would ask them for some money.
    But also a 25 Foot Cord is a Little Long.
    I take it that Only the Computer is Plugged in and nothing else?
    Also are you mixing Power Supply Cables between Different Makes and in some cases Different Models?

Last it are you using all 3 Prongs that is it is Grounded?
    You are not doing this are you?

I'm using all 3 prongs and not using an adapter like the picture.
    I also have my monitor and router plugged into the surge protector. I did try plugging the computer into its own outlet but still having the same issue.

Sajin
    This is what I would do If I were in your situation...

#1 Stop rma'ing for the moment.
    #2 Buy a completely different card such as a titan xp from nvidia.  (comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, so you can return the card anytime within the first 30 days to get your money back.)
    #3 Test out the titan xp for as long as you'd like then return it if you can't afford to keep it. This step will ultimately tell you if you're receiving faulty cards from evga.
    #4 Report your results to evga if the titan xp gives you no issues. Providing a video of the ftw3 artifacting at stock clocks, and not artifacting in debug mode, as well as the titan xp working at stock clocks would be a good thing to send in to evga as well.

Pretty difficult to find anything right now that's not from a third party charging ridiculous prices. Don't want to risk it. I did test with my old gtx 690 and that card seems to work just fine. Pretty sure that card draws just as much power if not more.

I sent an email to ChrisB. Hopefully he will help me out.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: I don't know what to do anymore 2018/01/29 15:05:19 (permalink)
    geriaktricks
    I did test with my old gtx 690 and that card seems to work just fine. Pretty sure that card draws just as much power if not more.

Sounds like you're receiving faulty cards then. Let us know what ChrisB does for ya.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile