Hydro Copper

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
UnusualAttitude
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 111
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/09/29 21:58:35 (permalink)
I wonder why the card length is so long without the need for additional ducting past the end of the pcb

Use my Elite Referral Code if you are about to go Elite:
https://www.evga.com/memb...d=YKCHXACC818JZAV3TIM3
0/1 referral: Free EVGA GRIP Game Code + Exclusive EVGA Car Skin!
0/2 referral = Free EVGA PowerLink
dominic2189
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/09/30 12:46:41 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
SimonOcean
dominic2189

There's no need for it, no. But if you enjoy your computer not acting as a giant heat furnace, it disperses a lot less heat out those radiators than a fan blower. It's preference at that point w/o OCing.

I am sorry to contradict you, but that is simply NOT true:

Water-cooling makes almost no difference to the degree to which your room heats up. The reason for this is that the electrons that are made (by voltage) to move around (current) your GPU and CPU make pretty lights on your monitor by in doing so all that voltage and current = power is converted into heat. The same amount of heat gets generated from the GPU and CPU

+1

Well said.  

Will strongly disagree with you because I witnessed this first-hand for years. Air coolers heat up my room much much faster than having 2 watercooled components.
UltimateBMWfan
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/01 00:42:26 (permalink)
dominic2189
GTXJackBauer
SimonOcean
dominic2189

There's no need for it, no. But if you enjoy your computer not acting as a giant heat furnace, it disperses a lot less heat out those radiators than a fan blower. It's preference at that point w/o OCing.

Water-cooling makes almost no difference to the degree to which your room heats up. The reason for this is that the electrons that are made (by voltage) to move around (current) your GPU and CPU make pretty lights on your monitor by in doing so all that voltage and current = power is converted into heat. The same amount of heat gets generated from the GPU and CPU

+1

Well said.  

Will strongly disagree with you because I witnessed this first-hand for years. Air coolers heat up my room much much faster than having 2 watercooled components.

You're probably experiencing a placebo effect due to the increased noise levels of an Air cooler being connected with more heat being output then. It's physically impossible for two identical components, one on water, and one on air, for the one on water to be both cooler, and output less heat outside of the case. The whole reason behind watercooling being more efficient than air cooling is that watercooling efficiently wicks heat into the radiators, which have a larger surface area to disspate heat. Where does it dissipate? Your room.

kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/01 16:11:15 (permalink)
For practical purposes it's the same amount of heat being produced regardless of how the GPU or CPU is cooled. While lower temperatures do indeed decrease leakage and therefore heat generation, my understanding is the effect only amounts to a handful of watts at best unless we're talking about extreme overclocking. Meanwhile a D5 style pump consumes 21 watts and some of that is being converted into heat. 

Have water, will cool. 
Mithrandir8
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/01 18:18:34 (permalink)
Yeah, watercooling does nothing to practically impact the amount of heat being generated by the components and thus dispersed into the room. The only difference is that the exhaust profile might be different if you don't have anything blowing out the back of the card.
Cableguy696969
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 340
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/01 19:46:31 (permalink)
Ive been doing HC cards from GTX 480 Hydro Coppers all the way up until 2080Ti came which I went with the Hybrid 2080ti because I got tired of redoing my loop every time I change GPU. The hybrid works pretty well but I think Im ready get back into Hydro Copper again 

Maximus XII Formula | Core i9 10900k @ 5.3Ghz all cores | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 4400mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | ROG Thor 1200W | ROG PG35VQ
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/01 20:49:56 (permalink)
Mithrandir8
Yeah, watercooling does nothing to practically impact the amount of heat being generated by the components and thus dispersed into the room. The only difference is that the exhaust profile might be different if you don't have anything blowing out the back of the card.

Exactly.  The total of amount of heat generated is the same.  Custom H20 will disperse the heat not as rapid as the instant discharge from an air cooler which creates that sauna affect.

Cableguy696969
Ive been doing HC cards from GTX 480 Hydro Coppers all the way up until 2080Ti came which I went with the Hybrid 2080ti because I got tired of redoing my loop every time I change GPU. The hybrid works pretty well but I think Im ready get back into Hydro Copper again 

I remember my GTX 480s on AIR!  It was a jumbo jet/sauna affect in my room.  It's one of those things you can never forget and the reason the idea of custom cooling got started. 

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
farinhir
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 187
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/02 03:45:16 (permalink)
dominic2189
SimonOcean
dominic2189

Domonic2189, SimonOcean is correct. The truth is, under specific power conditions the amount of heat the CPU or GPU generates is rather consistent. That is why after the initial warmup period each run of a benchmark tends to have consistent temps across the board. This is true whether one runs water or air. This has to do with the number of watts (as a measurement of heat) the components produce. I am sure you are familiar with TDP (Thermal Design Power) which is measured in watts. If you were to go to EKWB and play around with their configurator you would see that in expert mode it measures the cooling efficiency of a loop in watts. Same reason. Now, why does this matter?  

Why it matters. Basically, if your GPU is pumping out 70C on air but only 45C on water for the same test, that heat has to go somewhere. Thermal Dynamics. Energy is neither being created nor destroyed but is always changing from a useful form to a less useful form. Heat is a less useful form of energy. Just because the component reads a lower temp does not mean that those watts are not being generated. So where does it go? Well. Heat is energy. It still is being generated even if the die is cooler than on air. It is just that with the surface area of the radiators, along with the thermal transfer and capacitance coefficients of water, it is being transferred faster into the air. I have an extreme cooler (Phobya 1260) which keep my coolant around ambient +2C. I also have an AC unit. If I turn that off the room quickly heats to around 85F in the winter. My heating bills have actually gone down with this though since I am using the computer for a heater also. 

Case in point, less heat on the die == more heat in your room. Anything else is a placebo.

post edited by farinhir - 2020/10/02 04:32:27

Nordern
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/02 04:39:09 (permalink)
dominic2189
GTXJackBauer
SimonOcean
dominic2189

+1

Well said.  

I had a similar experience, but realised that it is a placebo since the water can hold a lot of heat, the radiator can hold a decent amount of heat swell and you spread the heat around the case, it probably does take a bit longer to heat up the room, but the amount of heat being released is the same imo
Dsullivan539
  • Total Posts : 48
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/02 06:20:56 (permalink)
Seeing as HC is sort of a niche product. Why can't EVGA put up Hydro Copper pre-orders?

Easy way to take $1000 from me. No reason that pre-orders can't be done now, but a niche product would be even safer.
kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/02 15:30:34 (permalink)
Dsullivan539
Seeing as HC is sort of a niche product. Why can't EVGA put up Hydro Copper pre-orders?

Easy way to take $1000 from me. No reason that pre-orders can't be done now, but a niche product would be even safer.

Aye, you think EVGA would wish to do so to get an idea of just how many hydrocopper blocks they need to order...

Have water, will cool. 
Mithrandir8
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/02 17:54:36 (permalink)
Dsullivan539

Did we have pre-orders of any SKU for previous generations? It's surprising to me that there's so few places to pre-order in the US.
mchang1984
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 114
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/03 00:00:14 (permalink)
This.

If EVGA can make enough of them for me to finish buying one on the EVGA Store then you guys can have my money.

I'm looking at the Air Cooled Cards and going like

"No waterblock... this one doesn't have a waterblock either... another aircooled card... Yep, done checking for today"

Then there is no need to go to EKWB and buy a waterblock.
Cableguy696969
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 340
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/04 22:34:44 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer

Cableguy696969

I remember my GTX 480s on AIR!  It was a jumbo jet/sauna affect in my room.  It's one of those things you can never forget and the reason the idea of custom cooling got started. 

Lol the GTX 480 with its BBQ grills is the sole reason I was ever interested in water cooling and I finally took the plunge in 2010

HC cards are always hard to come by unfortunately. Ive seen this with every series. The 3000 series I suspect will be extremely difficult to obtain as well

Maximus XII Formula | Core i9 10900k @ 5.3Ghz all cores | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 4400mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | ROG Thor 1200W | ROG PG35VQ
Razrback16
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/06 11:03:24 (permalink)
Anybody seen any official dates yet for the HC to release?
Really hoping the HC model has some increased power limits.
post edited by Razrback16 - 2020/10/06 11:08:01

EVGA X99 Classified
Intel Core i7 6950X Extreme Edition @ 4.0GHz - Liquid Cooled
32GB DDR4
NVidia RTX 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz - Liquid Cooled
EVGA Supernova 1200P2 PSU
Windows 10 x64
dominic2189
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/06 17:55:57 (permalink)
Razrback16

Not official, no. But they said Late Oct/Early Nov
Kupodesu
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/06 18:05:31 (permalink)
I still think it's crazy there's no universal blocks
buttabean
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/06 18:25:34 (permalink)
People arguing about water cooling vs air and heat in their room are forgetting that their rooms are not sealed. You have exterior forces that need to be heated thus making each persons experience different. If your room is large, there's no way the computer is going to heat it up. I have a cathedral ceiling with a loft where my computer is and i only notice the heat when walking by the pc. If you put a water cooled computer and a air cooled computer in two separate vacuums, they'll reach the same temperature. Air cooled will just reach that temperature faster.
post edited by buttabean - 2020/10/06 18:29:27

Associate Discount Code: KQ9JGG4415FXHVQ 
buttabean
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/06 18:31:57 (permalink)
Also it's the same principles behind global warming. vacuum outside our atmosphere, sun rays beaming in and not escaping. atmospheric temps slowly increase as the earths oceans heat up aka radiator.

Associate Discount Code: KQ9JGG4415FXHVQ 
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/06 19:50:07 (permalink)
Razrback16

Here's an official thread created by EVGA for more updates.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Kupodesu
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/07 01:43:04 (permalink)
buttabean
Also it's the same principles behind global warming. vacuum outside our atmosphere, sun rays beaming in and not escaping. atmospheric temps slowly increase as the earths oceans heat up aka radiator.

Truth, great break down
sorjal
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Hydro Copper 2020/10/19 08:00:09 (permalink)
So the EK waterblock for the XC3 compatability lists the hydrocopper as physical verification (why one buy a hydrocopper to then buy EK's wb seems a bit odd). Which means they supposedly physically verified their XC3 block on a disassembled Hydrocopper (also hybrid). I think it means that EVGA has told them that the HC variant uses the same board as the XC3 design and they've already done a physical verification with an XC3. Anyways this implies that the hydrocopper is based off of the XC3 and not the FTW3 if anyone cares. If they actually verified it against a disassembled Hydrocopper and Hybrid that implies the cards have at least been prototyped to the point that the board isn't going to change and that their releases might be sooner rather than later.
On a different note, off of their facebook release thread for the XC3 waterblock, they replied that they are hoping for the end of the month for a FTW3 version (which my guess would be production date of end Nov, early Dec)
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile