EVGA

Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Author
steve334x
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/03 02:02:31 (permalink)
I see. Thank you! Does this mean that this should be considered normal and I would not have much luck trying to ask for a replacement (it would have or develop the same noise)?

I tried the magnet trick, it indeed eliminated most of the noise but the cooling performance is now somewhat diminished (not too much though, I'd say about 5%, maybe 10% but still better than with air cooling). I think the magnet does not alter the position of the impeller inside but slows it down (I still hear the grinding noise but with a  significantly lower RPM and less loudly obviously).
Shikhee
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 127
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/03 05:31:01 (permalink)
steve334x
I see. Thank you! Does this mean that this should be considered normal and I would not have much luck trying to ask for a replacement (it would have or develop the same noise)?

I tried the magnet trick, it indeed eliminated most of the noise but the cooling performance is now somewhat diminished (not too much though, I'd say about 5%, maybe 10% but still better than with air cooling). I think the magnet does not alter the position of the impeller inside but slows it down (I still hear the grinding noise but with a  significantly lower RPM and less loudly obviously).

If you ask for a replacement first thing support will do is ask you to try and get any air bubbles out of the pump, after that if the noise persists they'll authorize an RMA. My kit developed a noise after 4 months, trying to shake the "air bubble" out only made it louder, replaced it and so far silent. 
schmak01
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/03 06:23:55 (permalink)
fugly16
schmak01
jsallen77
My RMA was approved and I'm waiting for the replacement kit to arrive now.

I do have a question about radiator orientation though. I thought the general consensus was that the tubes should be at the bottom of a vertically mounted radiator. I installed my radiator that way, but then it started making this loud noise. The noise has caused me to doubt my original installation. During the troubleshooting process of my current Hybrid cooler I received two contradictory statements from eVGA support. One said to make sure the tubes were at the bottom and the other said to have them at the top.

So what's the deal? Tubes up top? Or tubes at the bottom? Does it really matter?

You should watch the GN video on it.  The ideal would be the whole rad above the pump, but like you, I have to front mount it.  #2 would be tubes at the bottom.  This is because the air is always going to go to the top of the loop,  when you have the tubes at the top, it can make noise, gurgling because the air can hit the tubes.  Last is tubes at top, due to this reason.

I have my tubes at the bottom. When I first turned it on there was some gurgling, as the water and air sorted through, then stabilized.  I get zero pump noise or water noise.  If you are getting noise it may be that you have air stuck somewhere.  Powering down, pulling out the card and the rad, holding the rad above the card, and rotating it, lightly shaking can get the air to move to the top, then re-install.  I think Linus or someone else showed how to do that.  Of course, DO NOT do it while powered on. Air and water are what they are, the air will get to the top without the pump with some encouragement. 

Do you have both rads intaking?  Doesn't that really make the internal case temps hot?  I've got a 280x with two rads and I've got them both exhausting, has been much better for me.

Just saw this, and no, not at all.   I have a temp sensor at the top near the CPU pump that I control my exhaust and the top front intake fan with. 

On my normal curves, my ambient never gets above 34c. Fans all on full, 32-33, not much difference, whereas my CPU is ~5-7C colder by doing intake of cold air. 

I prefer high static pressure, keeps dust out and there are more than enough holes in the case to jettison air simply due to the pressure.   The whole "convection means you need top exhaust" is grossly overstated as an issue, there isn't enough heat from the GPU and MB to cause enough convection for that to be required. 

Hell even my X570 PCH never gets above 65 with 2x PCIE 4.0 NVMe Drives installed. 

• CPU: 5900X / 3800XT
  • MB: Asus Strix X570-E / Asus TUF B550
  • RAM: 32 GB TridentZ 3200 CL14 (stock timings) / 64 GB Ripjaws 3600 cl 16
  • GPU: EVGA 3080TI Hybrid (converted from FTW 3 Ultra) /  EVGA 3080 Hybrid (converted from FTW 3 Ultra)
  • Storage: Sabrent 2 TB PCIe 4.0 SSD,WD SN750 1 TB PCIe 3.0 SSD / 2x 4TB WD RED Pro, 1x  Sabrent Rocket Pro 1TB,  4x Crucial MX500 2TB
  • Cooling: H115i Pro Platinum / Vetroo 360mm AIO
  • Case: Corsair 680X / Corsair 5000D Black

Jh125486
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/03 09:23:17 (permalink)
This failure just hit me over the weekend, with a card purchased late January.
My radiator is above the card 100%, but it was mounted sideways.   Shaking the radiator _violently_ fixes the pump gurgling noise, and then about 20-30 seconds later it comes back.
Starting the RMA process...
litfod
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/08 12:04:13 (permalink)
Bought an XC3 card in December, just developed this issue a couple of weeks ago. I'm at the "yes, I've tried dislodging bubbles" stage of support tickets. Seems EVGA needs to source some better quality pumps on their $1600+ video cards.
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/08 12:11:51 (permalink)
^^^ Those pumps / gpu's are like any closed loop aio cooler....there shouldnt be air bubbles in it to begin with and no way for air bubbles to get in them.......

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/08 12:22:17 (permalink)
I haven't read this whole thread, but I just wanted to point out the FTW3 external fan header runs as variable voltage, so with the right mini-gpu adapter fan cable you can plug the pump into that header and control it to a lower speed.  EDIT:  Then you would want to run the rad fans header straight to the fans, I think, which might require a 2nd adapter cable.

My 3080 FTW3 Hybrid has been fine but I needed to do the pump-cable mod on my 2080 Ti Hybrid kit, ran about 7.5v at idle and 10.5v under load, with MB system temp control.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/05/08 15:08:05
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/08 12:50:08 (permalink)
kevinc313
I haven't read this whole thread, but I just wanted to point out the FTW3 external fan header runs as variable voltage, so with the right mini-gpu adapter fan cable you can plug the pump into that header and control it to a lower speed.  Only problem with that is the harness then sees reduced voltage, so you would want to run the rad fans PWM signal to an externally powered fan hub.  Not the greatest but should be a fairly clean setup.

My 3080 FTW3 Hybrid has been fine but I needed to do the pump-cable mod on my 2080 Ti Hybrid kit, ran about 7.5v at idle and 10.5v under load, with MB system temp control.

Very good point n potential solution....I dont own this particular Card and havent had any kind of aio or hybrid as full custom loop since around 2013....but I do cringe when I see folks suggesting putting a small magnet on or near the pump....magnets n pcb's or small electronic components on pcb's dont play nice together.

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/08 13:50:04 (permalink)
rjbarker
kevinc313
I haven't read this whole thread, but I just wanted to point out the FTW3 external fan header runs as variable voltage, so with the right mini-gpu adapter fan cable you can plug the pump into that header and control it to a lower speed.  Only problem with that is the harness then sees reduced voltage, so you would want to run the rad fans PWM signal to an externally powered fan hub.  Not the greatest but should be a fairly clean setup.

Very good point n potential solution....I dont own this particular Card and havent had any kind of aio or hybrid as full custom loop since around 2013....but I do cringe when I see folks suggesting putting a small magnet on or near the pump....magnets n pcb's or small electronic components on pcb's dont play nice together.

Yeah I had tried the magnet, all I managed to do was stop the pump.  The cable is like $7 and all it takes is pulling the shroud/block and some cable re-routing.
ArnoldHoudini
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/09 09:19:57 (permalink)
Hello,
I have the same pump noise problem with evga hybrid 3090 :
silent for 3 weeks then the old refrigerator pump noise appeared.
super annoying as it is very loud and constant.
RMA confirmed, i have to send the card back (Eur / Germany i'm from France).

Questions :
- If this is a pump problem why not replacing it on our own ?
What is the model ? where can we buy it ? do we loose warranty if we do the replacement on our own ?
- Which alternative model would fit, i mean a higher quality better model from the one of evga.

- How long will the replacement taking ?
if i wait for a month for the replacement, i could just loose my precious clients. 

- Are the pumps concerned by those "out of stock everywhere times" ?
- do EVGA have enough pumps in stock ?

Thanks.

steve334x
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/10 08:04:57 (permalink)
Ok, my retailer took back the XC3 Hybrid Kit with the whining noise and replaced with a brand new set. This has the exact same noise... :(

I guess it won't make much sense to ask for a replacement again, this seems to be a common issue, almost regarded as normal as .

On the new set I decided not to use the magnet trick but rewire everything to have proper DC control over the pump.

My v1.0 solution was to simply route the the power from a DC controllable fan header from my mobo to the pump's input. But this turned out to be not enough since the pump routes through the PWM control and RPM feedback from the video card to the water cooler fans.

My v2.0 solution was to route the PWM and RPM signal from the video card's black socket to the pump and route the power from the mobo to the pump. This way I had GPU controlled fans. But whenerver I dialed down the DC on the mobo, not only the pump would slow down but the fans as well (since their power was reduced as well).

My v3.0 solution was to route the power and RPM from the video card to the fans and route the mobo DC to the pump. This unfortunatelly did not work since the video card could not control my Arctic P12 fans directly. PWM control did not work and RPM readouts wire either zero or a wierd 810811 rpm. Interestingly the original (but rather low quality) EVGA provided fans did not have this issue, so the video card rpm control must have some unique incompatibility with the Arctic fans. This only happens when I connect the fans directly to the video card, but if I use the PWM/RPM passthru of the pump, the Arctic fans are controlled properly - so my conclusion was that to properly connect a PC fan to the GPU I have to use the standard fan connector that comes from the pump instead of directly connecting the PC fans to the GPU.

My v4.0 solution was to route the PWM/RPM from the card to the pump, route DC power from the mobo to the pump, use the pump provided RPM signal but the original video card DC power to the fan cables. This way I now have RPM passthru with 12V DC to the fans and mobo controlled DC to the pump.

I used various male and female mini molex connectors and fan connectors for interconnecting things.

Easy! :)

I am now using the card "naked" (mostly because it was easier for experimentation) without the Hybrid kit shroud and the blackplate. I attached the VRM coolers (found inside the Hybrid kit shroud) to the card with thermal pads a ziptie. I think the shroud and the blackplate does not add much to the overall cooling of the card but I am not entirely sure (and having left things open might actually help since my PC case is an open air case anyway). Question: is it ok to use the card naked this way (especially with the rear fan of the hybrid kit not installed) or it might be harmful and I should put everything together properly.

post edited by steve334x - 2021/05/10 08:12:20
TheCrunchyFox
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 114
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/10 09:17:35 (permalink)
Would be worrying indeed if AIO pump noise was extremely noticeable. Could be trapped air or the like, and would consider an RMA in this case. On the other hand, an expectation that the thing is dead quiet is also not realistic.
pixelcowboy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 213
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/10 09:28:25 (permalink)
I'm onto my second RMA now. Probably will be the last as shipping cost makes it not worthwhile. I wouldn't discount the magnet though. I tested it and if placed in the correct location, it doesn't stop the fan but slows it down, at a minimal temperature performance loss (1-2 c). The pcb is really far from the magnet so it won't mess with anything. The cable might be a better solution, but I don't have spare headers on my mobo. However I do like the idea about using the gpu's fan headers and connecting the pump to those instead, but not sure what cable would be needed for that. 
ArnoldHoudini
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/11 15:11:24 (permalink)
Hello,
i've tested the magnet solution,
1 - the sweet spot is small for stoppin the card making this loud refrigerator style noise
2 - take care of the power of the magnet find the right magnet for the job.

Process :
if you have your computer near you then you're okay otherwise you'll have to be 2 to do the test.
Install a GPU stress test software (like furmark).
launch X1  then launch the stress test soft : and look at the GPU temp
place the magnet on the sweet spot and look at the temp now.

If force of magnet is too high your temp will jump 20°C higher suddenly
remove the magnet from the sweet spot.
The magnet stops the pump completelly : that's bad.
(Then find another magnet on your refrigerator and try again).

When you've found the right magnet placing it on the sweet spot, your temp will slowly jump to 4°C higher,
removing the magnet from the sweet spot and it will get down 4°C.
You found your magnet, it slows the pump but it's moderate and silent (silent... dream came true).
4°C is the price to pay i guess.

Now question :
How to fix the magnet to the card ?
if i place a wood stick with inserted magnet on top
with the wood stick taking support in the case on its down side,
being maintained on its own with little to no force on the card
Will it work on the long run ?
is wood near a card that can get to 90°C even that a good idea ?

[Edit] : from Britannica.com / Wood must be raised to a temperature of about 250 °C
(about 480 °F) for a spark or flame to ignite it.

What else could be a good way to fix the magnet to the card ?

Precision : paint the magnet in yellow or pink so to see it if it falls in your case / colors ;)
cbaty
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 129
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/11 18:26:32 (permalink)
3090 hybrid was RMA'd for the same pump buzzing noise. (Serial 2014, made in Taiwan, purchased in December)

Replacement will be here Thursday. :D 

edit: oh, also, a *strong* magnet would stop the pump... and the noise... but, of course, if your pump stops spinning, it stops cooling... 
post edited by cbaty - 2021/05/11 18:27:39

Save at EVGA checkout using my associates code: XZ8XC0J47NMBVK6 👍
ArnoldHoudini
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/12 00:51:09 (permalink)
Episode 3 :
i've put the cylinder magnet on top of a wood stick,
making a little hole on the top of the stick for the magnet to stay in place
with magnet exceeding a bit the top of the stick.
Then it's a matter of cutting the stick at right distance
and using sandpaper to make just the exact lenght.

the card is now completelly quiet, doing another stress test on the graphic card :
temps are normal. Working will be sooo cool today ;)

I will open an RMA once the market will stop having its "out of stock everywhere" thing,
given the fact that i cannot afford to potentially waiting my card for a month to be repaired,
without loosing precious customers.

That's a workaround and it works,
gives a bit of a DIY look to your computer with this wood stick in it !

I've lost 2 days trying to resolve this issue, not to mention 2 to 3 weeks with headaches
caused by this noise : your head really feel the end of your day of work.

This price range of cards should not have this issue, i mean this is written
everywhere once you search for it and it last since the 10x generation cards from what i've read.
10x versions are like 3 years from now, hardware engineers must have been aware of this,
and must have found a solution already, why is it still here in the 30x generation ?
or software devs of the PrecisionX1 should have already code something to reduce pump speed.
checkbox : silent pump / reduce pump speed.
In the end if done : would have cost less in RMAs, hours of work in evga repairs desks, spare parts, post, transport, customer headaches, time lost, last but not least : cost of carbon print.

steve334x
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/12 02:10:58 (permalink)
Yeah it's great when you have tinker with your $3000 graphics card's cabling or stick refrigerator magnets to its side for it just to function properly.

My problem is that after reducing the pump speed the performance of the water cooling system is not that much better than the air cooling (still somewhat better) and it seems like I have to rev up the fans more to compensate for the slower circulation which is not that good for noise.

--

I am now using the second kit after the first was sent to RMA because of the noise. As I mentioned, the replacement unit is just as noisy as the one before. This is a clear and consistent pump grinding noise, not related to air bubbles. I am considering another RMA and a full refund for the second unit.

I think a high percentage of these units are simply defective and have sub-par quality pumps installed, which is a shame (while there are reports of quiet units which do not exhibit this problem - but this is like a lottery I don't really want to participate in).
rickrollah
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/17 16:01:53 (permalink)
I recently developed a sound issue with my card also.
3080 xc3 Hybrid. No issues for a few months and no changes to configuration.
Just this last week this rattle noise has developed only when my machine is at idle which is absolutely puzzling. Very confused as to how it doesn't make noise once I power on a game, my machine has excellent thermals. The card doesn't show any signs of failure on thermals or voltage regulation at idle or underload.

I have stalked the forums and web looking into it.
So far I have tried all methods of releasing the "air bubble" that could be making the noise from the pump with no success.
Methods include shaking the card the rad tilting the machine in various ways while running.
No dice.

I have already ordered another kit to swap out. My plan is hopefully this replacement kit is not going to fall victim to the same issue, but if it does I intend to RMA it and have this backup one to experiment on. I'm not down with a magnet solution for reasons.
If anyone has had real success with clearing this issue without magnets then please by all means holler!

*Note First hybrid kit I purchased I forgot to register in time and I didn't want to go through a hassle attempting an rma on it, hence why I outright purchased a new kit.
Once again with the new kit I will register appropriately and if it fails or develops issues I will absolutely rma.

post edited by rickrollah - 2021/05/17 19:39:40
Janus67
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/20 19:49:34 (permalink)
Another bump for like others here having the issue develop after a  few months [got mine in February from the queue]. Started about a month ago I'd guess. The card is standard mounted [not vertical] and the radiator is vertically mounted, tubes on the bottom on the back/side of a Lian Li Dynamic XL. Have tried doing the same as @rickrollah mentioned above, shaking the radiator and such while it is running, the sound may stop for about 5 seconds then comes back. Have submitted for a ticket/support/RMA with a request to swap with a non-hybrid FTW3 model just to not have to worry about it anymore. I'm already worried I will end up with a LHR model this close to their launch, let alone if I have to do it again 3 months from now.
rickrollah
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/22 11:23:55 (permalink)
I have the same case as you Janus67!
That being said i installed my new hybrid replacement and temps and noise are fine.
My only issue is the gpu fan2 will not spin, and i made sure to appropriately connect the headers during install also.
I wonder if i need to flash the bios again after disconnecting and then reconnecting the fan headers.
Cant get it to spin even in X1.
Shikhee
Superclocked Member
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/22 15:12:11 (permalink)
rickrollah
That being said i installed my new hybrid replacement and temps and noise are fine.
My only issue is the gpu fan2 will not spin, and i made sure to appropriately connect the headers during install also.
I wonder if i need to flash the bios again after disconnecting and then reconnecting the fan headers.

My replacement the fan on the shroud wasn't spinning due to the wire being a bit stiff and sticking up. Try seeing if that's obstructing the fan at all
rickrollah
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/22 16:54:06 (permalink)
Shikhee
rickrollah

My replacement the fan on the shroud wasn't spinning due to the wire being a bit stiff and sticking up. Try seeing if that's obstructing the fan at all

That was actually the issue! Thanks so much for the advice!
Shikhee
Superclocked Member
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/05/22 16:56:02 (permalink)
rickrollah
Shikhee
rickrollah

That was actually the issue! Thanks so much for the advice!

I'm seeing this issue pop up a lot now, notably on the replacement kits 
daverhodus
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/06/09 06:29:42 (permalink)
Does anyone have a 3080 ti Hybrid card? How is the pump noise?

My 2080 ti Hybrid was so loud that I had to return it.

My 1080 ti Hybrid was very quiet.
jtj50023
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/06/09 06:56:56 (permalink)
I have a 3080 hybrid and a 2070 super hybrid. They use the same pumps.

the 3080 pump is completely silent at 100%, the 2070 super has a hum at 100%. These pump just varies from unit to unit. If your pump is loud, either use a converter and run it to the motherboard fan control in DC mode, or use a SATA to DC fan converter with one of those voltage/noise reducers
Medicgarou
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 110
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/06/09 07:03:41 (permalink)
I'm hoping to get a hybrid for my build. Thanks for the info here, seems like still a good option 
daverhodus
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/06/09 07:06:39 (permalink)
jtj50023If your pump is loud, either use a converter and run it to the motherboard fan control in DC mode, or use a SATA to DC fan converter with one of those voltage/noise reducers

My motherboard has an "AIO_PUMP" header and a "W_PUMP+" header.

Will those work for this with an adapter? ( Asus Crosshair VI Hero )

If so, I should be able to control the pump in my BIOS.

Thanks.
DRMALIKIA
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/06/25 11:17:10 (permalink)
I have had pump noise on my first card from a December purchase, by May it had started to really get loud. It took two cards that looked like they were used as loading dock door stops before they agreed to send me a new in box.  I have had the new card installed now for barely a month and am already starting to hear the up tick in pump noise (this being my 4th card in total).  Are the Kingpin 3090 AIO's just garbage?  Or am I just this unlucky?

post edited by DRMALIKIA - 2021/06/25 11:20:20

Attached Image(s)

Fuzzy833
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/07/16 23:31:00 (permalink)
Had the Hybrid kit on my 3090 XC3 Ultra for 2 days now, and the pump noise has now picked up to the point that I have to listen to music when not gaming. A real shame :( Without the pump, my PC is essentially inaudible at idle, due to very good fans, CPU AIO and case airflow etc. It's just this pump spoiling the party.

Rad is top mounted, so not issues there.

I won't RMA yet, as I suspect any replacement will just be the same. I'll investigate the cable mod I guess.
Colecjc
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/07/18 06:48:25 (permalink)
Has EVGA commented on these hybrid kits/pumps having a high failure/issue rate? From the anecdotal evidence in this thread (which is definitely skewed towards people having issues who would come to talk about them) there seems to be a high rate of pump issues with the hybrid cards. I'm concerned about installing the hybrid kit on my card because I don't want to deal with DIY fixes and RMA's just to reduce temps and noise on an otherwise working air-cooled card.
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile