For those with editions of Windows 10 that cannot defer updates/upgrades, such as Windows 10 Home Edition, and would like to stop Windows Update from auto-downloading and auto-installing OS updates/upgrades and/or driver updates such as NVIDIA graphics drivers for those who want to stick with an older graphics driver..Also for those who cannot defer updates/upgrades any longer.
TURN ON METERED CONNECTION
See: Metered connections in Windows 10
No updates/upgrades will be auto-downloaded and auto-installed except "Only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly" of which remains a somewhat of a mystery, but I haven't experienced this as of now, if you have, do tell.
You can leave metered connection on and periodically/manually check for updates/upgrades using only/specifically the Show or Hide Updates tool instead of the normal Windows Update and then hide only the updates you don't want, then run the normal Windows Update to download and install the updates/upgrades that you do want, only the hidden updates will not be available/shown..Schedule the Show or Hide Updates tool to run as a .bat file described farther below.
1. See: Using Show or hide updates to hide Windows updates
and to get the tool (wushowhide.diagcab) from the link in the article or here
CREATE A .BAT FILE REMINDER
For those that are forgetful, or otherwise, you can create a .bat file to run the Show or Hide Updates tool periodically with Windows Task Scheduler as a reminder that updates may be available for you to check on.
1. Create a folder on C:\ named 'Show or Hide Windows Updates'
2. Put the Show or Hide Updates tool (wushowhide) in it
3. Open a new Notepad Text Document within the folder
4. Type in or copy/paste the following lines, exactly:@echo offREM Next command opens wushowhidestart /d "C:\Show or Hide Windows Updates" wushowhide.diagcab
4. Click 'File' at the top-left and choose 'Save as'
5. In the 'File name', name it Show or Hide Windows Updates.bat
6. In the 'Save as type' choose 'All Files'
7. Done..A .bat file will be created in the folder and you can close and delete the Text Document
If you do this on another drive besides C:\, use the correct drive letter.
CREATE AND SCHEDULE A BASIC TASK
See: How to schedule a Task in Windows 10/8/7 with Create Basic Task Wizard
to run Show or Hide Windows Update when you want to.
In the Start a Program box, browse to the Show or Hide Windows Updates.bat file you created.
In the General tab, enable 'Run with highest privileges'.
In the Settings tab, enable 'Run the task as soon as possible after a scheduled task is missed'.
When done creating the task, right-click on the Show or Hide Windows Updates task you created and click 'Run' to make sure you got it right and it runs properly.
TO RESET WINDOWS UPDATE
1. Press the Windows
keys to open Run
2. Type in services.msc
and click OK
3. In Services, scroll down to 'Windows Update' and click to highlight it
4. In the top-left, click Stop the service, then Start the service
You might still need to connect to an unmetered connection for some updates..This remains somewhat of a mystery as to what 'some updates' from Micro$oft means.
Keep in mind that the minute you revert a connection marked as metered to unmetered, you'll be back to automatic downloads/installation again.
The Show or Hide Updates tool is a powerful utility from Micro$oft to show or hide updates/upgrades that you may not need or want.
Works, and has worked flawlessly for me.