Author
SmookinJoe
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1345
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2022/09/15 21:55:50 (permalink)
How is Everybody doin?
Allot of things have gotten me down over the last few years. Not to mention my Karma being so strong that it has affected corporations and communities that I have come to rely on.
When I set out from the east coast of Canada, to find my way in the world, I had one thing in the back of my mind.
Buy a house.
That was in the early 80's. While I was in Calgary moving furniture and learning to drive tractor trailer (that was self taught in a weekend by the faith of my dispatcher).
Calgary is a boom/bust economy and before long I moved to Vancouver BC (House prices were in the low to mid 6 figures and I wasn't interested in paying that much)
As I am reaching my end of life I decided I now have a new thing left to do.
I did buy a house, in 1986, for $70,000. I bought it with a girl I had recently met. Growing old with her has not been exactly what I expected
I made friends with the neighbor beside me who owned a little shack of a house with no foundation. Their lot was larger than mine and I needed a place to park a tractor trailer.
They said I could park back there but it might not be there in the morning because it will probably have sunk into the ground
I brought in a D-3 Cat and had it leveled..they treated me like a king after that and never charged me to park there. (Every few years I would surprise  the two son's with beer and cash just to say thank you)
Eventually I bought that property for $200,000 and moved a house onto it and built a whole new lower floor. (Contractors did most of the work) My original reason I bought the property was to build a garage.
Life has gotten in the way, from doing that!
After my recent open heart surgery I have found new drive.
Since traveling doesn't appeal to me anymore I have decided to get on my bucket list.
I have been very busy rearranging structures in my back yard in preparations for a possible garage.
I don't know how far I am going to get but when I am feeling down I try and remember I wanted a house.
As I am working on rearranging the yard and reclaiming rocks and gravel by hand, I keep telling myself, "you got your house"
Seems to lift my spirits and stop me for feeling sorry about things I didn't get or things that make me sad
Each was a challenge on it's own and I kept calm and focused on how I could do it. Often the answer would come after a nights sleep.

I originally thought of putting wood braces on the bottom and draging it with the Bobkitty, maybe added big swivel wheels..which I bought... then I thought... rent a flatdeck.. screw wood to the deck, extending past the deck to lift straight up.. and tie ropes to the frame, of the structure...I used ratchet straps to pull the ropes up

Aired up the tractor suspension and the trailer tires were at a lower point so as soon as I pulled forward everything went up another 5"..

I bought a special attachment, for my Bosch jackhammer, to drive the duck bills in the ground and it destroyed the duckbills...DOH!
Picture above shows how I had to predig the holes about 20", with my bachoe attachment for the Bobkitty, so I didn't destroy the duck bill anchors..ground was super compacted by years of fully loaded tractor trailers being parked over night. (mostly full of beer...lol)

It was raining when I tried to pull the cover up..sigh

Next...
This shed has gravel floor and the uprights are sunk in concrete.

I built a floor, out of 2 x4's and 3/4" treated wood. Then I sawzeled off the uprights.

Raised it up, each corner, with the Bobkitty (barely) and got it high enough to put a car jack under it to lift it high enough for to put a single 15'ish railway tie under the middle

Added a brace in the front center because the 2x4's were sagging and now I added railway ties(3) to offset the weight on one side.

The whole structure is sitting on the one railway tie in the middle with a layer of 3/4' plywood to raise it above the railway ties on each side. The Bobkitty can move the center tie from either end and I will move the other railway ties to keep it from going off balance.
It will take up a temporary location 10' closer to house and 5' sideways. (away from the fence). This will allow a spade truck to move the 2 trees and open up the yard for a garage.
Here was the old layout of the yard. Canopy has been moved to where the tractor is and the next picture shows where the open shed was.

Just to give you an idea how big the trees are I had to top one because it got a bent top, and I had to fix it..

That tree had a grave beside it and we got to hug Chatty Cathy one more time..promised never to move her again. Her baby blanket was intact. As we dug her up I could feel her body through the blanket, after two years in the ground. 
it was a, surprisingly, good experience.
We love her

post edited by SmookinJoe - 2022/09/18 10:27:30

41 Replies Related Threads

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/18 09:29:35 (permalink)
    I didn't know what was coming down the pipe when I posted this.
    I WAS going to see what all my folding buddies were up to and try an PUMP u UP!
    I will try and get someone to move this to the General Forum and I will edit out the folding references...

troy8d
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2817
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/18 11:34:49 (permalink)
    lookin good joe!

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31064
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/18 13:44:12 (permalink)
    just NO

time to hire a lift/boom truck or someone else

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/18 14:22:26 (permalink)
    troy8d
    lookin good joe!

Really?
    (yer being too kind)
    Looks more like a mess to me...lol
    Let me show you more photos...

Reclaiming gravel and separating by hand...

Wiggling shed to new temp location so the cat can have an easier time catching birds...Grrr!

Trees at back of yard will be transplanted close to where shed was and I may have to move some of the small hedge trees to do it..

Too Close...temp location..

That BMW is another end of life crisis story...lol
    I needed to feel young and crazy..believe me it is a rush.
    I have it half deleted...tunes tried and ready for full delete.
    It is a monster..ROAD MACHINE!
    AWD..that just wants to cruise at 100mph and above
    2009 x5 M57 Diesel one of those Rare ones that just does everything right...more on that later
    friend had an M57 in a 335d...it went 10 seconds in the quarter mile and all he did was full delete and 2.9ish tune

Dodge now parked on the road to nowhere I created with the reclaimed gravel...That is the back of our older home where I may need to park the tractor if and when the foundation is being created.

post edited by SmookinJoe - 2022/09/18 22:49:39

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/18 14:43:55 (permalink)
    great progress & interesting "backyard" project

Hope you continue to have fun with it

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/18 14:48:28 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    just NO

I thought I could...I thought I could

I did think about transplanting them, myself, again..
    I moved the one on the left with the Bobkitty and I kinda messed up a couple of branches ...
    that was about 10 years back..it was about 9'-10' tall
    I did mention I AM hiring a spade truck to move em...
    I never want to stop tryin (Just couldn't find a spade truck to rent or an attachment for the Bobkitty) ...lol

PS..I was on the top of that ladder for over an hour cause I just happened to get a call from my doctors office on my upcoming heart surgery...
    So "Have you been taking it easy? How are you feeling? Any dizzy spells?"
    Ahhh..

troy8d
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/18 20:58:23 (permalink)
    SmookinJoe
    Cool GTX
    just NO

I thought I could...I thought I could

I did think about transplanting them, myself, again..
    I moved the one on the left with the Bobkitty and I kinda messed up a couple of branches ...
    that was about 10 years back..it was about 9'-10' tall
    I did mention I AM hiring a spade truck to move em...
    I never want to stop tryin (Just couldn't find a spade truck to rent or an attachment for the Bobkitty) ...lol

PS..I was on the top of that ladder for over an hour cause I just happened to get a call from my doctors office on my upcoming heart surgery...
    So "Have you been taking it easy? How are you feeling? Any dizzy spells?"
    Ahhh..

You're a crazy man Joe.  Take care of yourself!!

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
    SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/18 21:06:02 (permalink)
    troy8d
    ~snip~
    You're a crazy man Joe.  Take care of yourself!!

It's Mad I tell you!
    I'm doin it my way

You too Buddy ...more to come..I hope!

donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15894
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/18 21:46:00 (permalink)
    Retired at 40, found out I am a noble that can claim the family title a couple years ago almost three. Glad I found that out later in life rather than later as I made my own legacy and had my own adventures that belong to me not those who are long dead. Also found out from the Hispanic side of the family I am the 3x Great Grandson of the man of the Mexican revolution. Just helping a rescue group for English bulldogs, going on trips to beat on our jeeps, gaming, watching the sun rise in my t-shirt/shorts/sandals with sand and palm trees as I sip my coffee. Bummed about the news with EVGA, watching nations change as sanity to common sense becomes extinct. 

No way I would want to live that far north again, we used to have over 140k acres of land that stretched from New England up into Canada. Used to live less than five miles from the boarder growing up. Never again will I live in the ice and snow. I do miss the scenery up there though.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/18 23:19:17 (permalink)
    donta1979
    Retired at 40, found out I am a noble that can claim the family title a couple years ago almost three. Glad I found that out later in life rather than later as I made my own legacy and had my own adventures that belong to me not those who are long dead. Also found out from the Hispanic side of the family I am the 3x Great Grandson of the man of the Mexican revolution. Just helping a rescue group for English bulldogs, going on trips to beat on our jeeps, gaming, watching the sun rise in my t-shirt/shorts/sandals with sand and palm trees as I sip my coffee. Bummed about the news with EVGA, watching nations change as sanity to common sense becomes extinct. 

No way I would want to live that far north again, we used to have over 140k acres of land that stretched from New England up into Canada. Used to live less than five miles from the boarder growing up. Never again will I live in the ice and snow. I do miss the scenery up there though.

Nobility...cool
    Kinda like winning the lottery.
    Nice to be able to have time to be creative, especially when you are young enough to still have energy...lol
    Ice and snow is a very rare thing around the lower mainland of BC..
    If you lived in North or West Vancouver (higher terrain) you might get to experience it.
    Rain is what we see lots of in the winter.
    Vehicles last forever here....that is what I love the most.
    My 2003 Cummins powered Dodge still looks new (almost)..I bought it new in 03 for my 50th birthday.
    Climate change is changing us into California North...(too hot and dry)

I feel this is the best place in all of Canada and I have been in every province including Newfoundland..
    You should try and experience it sometime.

post edited by SmookinJoe - 2022/09/18 23:20:33

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/19 07:37:12 (permalink)
    donta1979
    ~snip~

The Great white North, where everyday above Zero F is a good day. 

Where I grew up - one winter I endured almost 30 days in a row (too long ago for exact number) where the High temp every day, was still below 0 F

Been there, done that - never want to do it again

donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15894
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/19 07:43:47 (permalink)
    I think the coldest winters while living up north was -30f to -50f. Now Alaska for cold weather survival training ugh… -70f. Smh

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/19 07:55:15 (permalink)
    Joe,

Is moving large trees, a very successful adventure? 

I had heard that big trees can be move; however, survival is low & not even particularly strong winds can uproot them with ease ... the roots never really recover to stabilize the tree. 

Wherever you place them, make sure they can't fall on anything important

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/19 09:15:30 (permalink)
    For the record...
    I break out into a full blown belly laugh whenever I hear news reports for the Maritime provinces when they are having snow storms in April and May....lol
    I survived -40F in Calgary while waiting for a bus. They did have power outlets everywhere to plug your car in. The great thing about Calgary was the Chinook. One minute it is freezing and suddenly for the next week or two you could run around in T shirts
    Not Vancouver and surrounding area...it is Awesome!
    Regarding the trees.
    You could be right Jim
    The other option is to cut them down...much cheaper. I have a very expensive chainsaw that has a special starter that anyone who can slowly pull out the cord can start...Remember I am a wimp...
    I am giving them a chance to survive and we won't know, how it goes, till we get there.
    Let's stay optimistic.
    There is a reason we have insurance!

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102447
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/19 09:37:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the pics and the updates. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/19 09:39:17 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Thanks for the pics and the updates. 

Yer Welcome..
    It helps with my memory
    post edited by SmookinJoe - 2022/09/19 09:40:21

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/26 19:32:54 (permalink)
    Extracting the first tree

Transplanting first tree

Creating hole for second tree

Extracting second tree

Transplanting Second tree

That was today!
    Thanks Everybody

ps..I could of cut them down, to make space for a garage...way cheaper..but NOT HAPPENING as long as I am alive...
    I planted them when they were 3' tall...lol
    post edited by SmookinJoe - 2022/09/26 20:39:40

STR1D3R_2
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1431
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/26 19:51:59 (permalink)
    I could spend an entire day watching vids like that lol
    I remember losing track of time running my 1964 Dynahoe C. I'd climb aboard around 7 am do a few things that would
    take months to do by hand and all of a sudden I would realize that I needed to turn the lights on a few hours ago and the
    neighbors are probably getting pissed at that diesel growler. lol 
    Thanks for sharing Joe

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
    SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/09/26 20:18:25 (permalink)
    I hear ya Mike..lol
    Been there doin that!

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/10/07 13:01:30 (permalink)
    so, whats new with the "little backyard project" ?

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/10/07 17:55:55 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    so, whats new with the "little backyard project" ?

Lame stuff
    Land has been resurveyed to change the layout ...trees were moved...
    Notice orange plastic pinned to ground infront of Dodge...
    Garage can be 45' deep and 40' across, instead of 40 x 40

I went back to work Tuesday and have an appointment with Drafts people to adjust plans..this Friday the 14th of Oct..
    Max I can go is 2000 sqft ish...I am at 1800 sqft ish with trees moved.
    Today I rearranged some of my projects.

X5 was moved to back of Old house for trans service, vacuum line replacements, delete of dpf, investigate vapor barrier on rear passenger door...car will be going up on jack stands for awhiile.

Buggy moved to under deck to clean carb and fix performance issues...(hasn't been used in years...my bad)

Ride a mower moved to canopy to work on Buggy..
    Doesn't seem like much but we are moving forward
    Thanks for askin Jim!

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10357
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/10/07 20:39:50 (permalink)
    It's fun having projects like that if you enjoy tinkering.  Especially when you have the indoor space to do them in.  That'll be a nice size building when finished.  I know I use my garage/building a lot for tinkering.  It's a 30' X 50' steel building with 16' foot ceiling.  Plenty of room.

Have fun and thanks for sharing the vids...

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18947
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/10/07 22:15:19 (permalink)

Wow you've been busy!

I love the smell of old railroad ties on a warm day - we used them for terraced landscaping at a property we had years ago, they looked great, and on hot days they had that old familiar smell from when I used to play down by the railroad tracks when I was a kid... awesome.

That tree topping exercise with stacked pallets though.. dude.. that was a little insane.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/10/07 22:25:06 (permalink)
    Nereus

Wow you've been busy!

I love the smell of old railroad ties on a warm day - we used them for terraced landscaping at a property we had years ago, they looked great, and on hot days they had that old familiar smell from when I used to play down by the railroad tracks when I was a kid... awesome.

That tree topping exercise with stacked pallets though.. dude.. that was a little insane.

I too have gotten used to their aroma but that tree..
    I have been lookin at it lately...
    Needs another trim and I was wondering if he would loan me another 26 pallets...

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18947
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/10/07 22:36:44 (permalink)
    SmookinJoe
    Nereus
    Wow you've been busy!

I too have gotten used to their aroma but that tree..
    I have been lookin at it lately...
    Needs another trim and I was wondering if he would loan me another 26 pallets...

No. Just no. smh..   get a boom lift, or if you have any friends in the fire dept, see if they can stop by and practice rescuing a kitty from a tree. With a trimmer...

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/10/07 22:47:57 (permalink)
    I will probably wimp out and get our tree service company to trim it. We have them touch up our other trees every few years...
    Depends on how much it starts to bother me

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17477
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/10/10 20:52:50 (permalink)
    Im doing great!  Thanks for asking

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/10/10 20:54:23 (permalink)
    Delirious
    Im doing great!  Thanks for asking

Good to know
    post edited by SmookinJoe - 2022/10/10 21:01:31

troy8d
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: How is Everybody doin? 2022/10/11 18:36:39 (permalink)
    You da man Joe!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile