Having something weird happen to my 1070 Gaming SC ACX 3.0

Author
Jartim00
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/09/18 04:36:40 (permalink)
Hello Forum,

About 4 years ago I've bought the card mentioned in the title.
It has been working great the past 4 years, and I would like to use it longer if possible.
A few days ago I was playing World of Warcraft, while watching youtube videos on my second screen.
After some time my computer suddenly shut off, and I could hear a small pop sound coming from my case.
The first thing I did was smell the components in my case to check what was broken.
I figured it could have been my GPU and confirmed this by taking out my GPU and smelling it.
After putting in another GPU (old GT220) and hooking up an old VGA monitor, it would (luckily) still boot in windows.
The next thing I did was remove the cooler and backplates from the PCB from my GPU to check.
I could see a pretty big burn spot on my GPU (check my attachment).
I have a very tight budget at the moment so I cant afford to buy another 400+ GPU and I would like to keep gaming.
Is it still possible for me to send my card to EVGA for repairs while it is out of warranty?
I can 100% confirm that this was not an overheating issue. I always have temperature monitoring software running on my computer.
I also clean out my case and repaste the GPU and CPU every 3 months, which I tend to take my time for.

Kind regards.
post edited by Jartim00 - 2020/09/18 05:17:45

Attached Image(s)

2 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Having something weird happen to my 1070 Gaming SC ACX 3.0 2020/09/18 08:51:18 (permalink)
    EVGA doesn't do repairs out of warranty.
    OhmLoad
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Having something weird happen to my 1070 Gaming SC ACX 3.0 2020/09/20 21:42:50 (permalink)
    Yeah man. I'm sorry. I feel for ya. Cards don't last forever. I wouldn't even call that "having something weird." That sucker is fried. I can tell by looking at the picture. I don't even have to smell it. $400 and lasted four years. That's about a quarter a day. Chalk it up to the graphics card gods and bite the bullet. Maybe you can get something used and inexpensive considering many people have got the itch to upgrade due to the release of the 3080. You could probably get a card like yours for the cost of mailing it in and getting it fixed. I would have to say that the odds of the company saying "why not, let's fix it for free. Just this once" is probably not gonna happen but Good luck.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile