EVGA

GeForce RTX 2060 super 8gb second fan isnt spinning causing overheating?

Author
JakohFPS
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/03/21 09:10:52 (permalink)
Hi guys! so I bought my GPU about 10 months ago and since then I was aware that my second GPU fan wasnt spinning, so I did researches and found out that the second fan only works if the card is overheating or becomes really hot.

2 days ago, I started playing Miscreated and Apex Legends, my GPU temp rises up to 80-83C which is scaring me, I cant even touch my GPU, thats how hot it is, and the second fan is still not working.

so!

did I get a broken GPU from the start? if yes it is really sad because it cost me about 750$ CAD, it was my first expensive card and im terryfied about the idea of having to buy a new one.. especially when I bought a year warranty then moved to another house and lost the box which contained the package and serial number etc.

if its not broken, help? plz before my pc melts.

thanks!

(pictures are to show that the second fan isnt spinning, on the software picture look on the left*)

Attached Image(s)

5 Replies Related Threads

ATIXIUM
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: GeForce RTX 2060 super 8gb second fan isnt spinning causing overheating? 2021/03/21 15:16:34 (permalink)
    LOL I had a similar problem the other day because my videocard makes a noise on low speeds as if the fan hits a cable or something so I decided to run the fans set at 20 and it was running fine on desktop applications, but then I started to game and noticed the videocard got hot ( I guess it was stuck running only on 20 fan speed ) So I hit Default, Apply and Save in Precision X1 and that fixed it. (so it goes back to default settings) try that, I hope that helps
    JakohFPS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: GeForce RTX 2060 super 8gb second fan isnt spinning causing overheating? 2021/03/21 15:20:28 (permalink)
    still doesnt spin, my second fan just doesnt care at all I think its just broken, sad thing is im pretty sure it was broken when I bought it... I guess next time ill make test to see if I get a fonctionnal one lol
    ATIXIUM
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: GeForce RTX 2060 super 8gb second fan isnt spinning causing overheating? 2021/03/21 15:26:29 (permalink)
    sucks to hear that but just manually add a fan somewhere next to your videocard to pull or push air and that should do the trick to cool it 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: GeForce RTX 2060 super 8gb second fan isnt spinning causing overheating? 2021/03/21 17:43:59 (permalink)
    It isn't necessarily the fan that is faulty.  The issue could be a simple as the fan connector isn't fully plugged in, or one of the wires in the connector came loose.  Or, the issue could be as complex/bad as the fan controller on the card is fried (let's hope not).

If you diagnose it and come to the conclusion that the fan is bad, you can often find replacement fans at places like eBay or AliExpress.  Just take the old fan out, look at the part number written on the sticker on the back, and find a replacement online.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

VirtualUnreality
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 122
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: GeForce RTX 2060 super 8gb second fan isnt spinning causing overheating? 2021/03/21 18:45:38 (permalink)
    JakohFPS
    Hi guys! so I bought my GPU about 10 months ago and since then I was aware that my second GPU fan wasnt spinning, so I did researches and found out that the second fan only works if the card is overheating or becomes really hot.

2 days ago, I started playing Miscreated and Apex Legends, my GPU temp rises up to 80-83C which is scaring me, I cant even touch my GPU, thats how hot it is, and the second fan is still not working.

so!

did I get a broken GPU from the start? if yes it is really sad because it cost me about 750$ CAD, it was my first expensive card and im terryfied about the idea of having to buy a new one.. especially when I bought a year warranty then moved to another house and lost the box which contained the package and serial number etc.

if its not broken, help? plz before my pc melts.

thanks!

(pictures are to show that the second fan isnt spinning, on the software picture look on the left*)

Sorry to hear you're in the situation you're in.  If I followed what you've posted here, you still have 2 months warranty remaining; For EVGA Limited Warranty RMA purposes, you do NOT need the original packaging, just make sure to follow the packing guidelines in the RMA section when sending it in.  The serial number is on a sticker on the card, you'll need a copy of the invoice or receipt to upload which hopefully you either have or can get a copy--all the info you need is here: https://www.evga.com/warranty/rmaprocess/   Who knows til you send it in for sure, but depending on whats wrong causing the inoperative fan and with the stock situation what it is you could conceivably get an upgrade for a replacement.  If for some reason you can't RMA, there are many helpful posts and linked videos here in the forums if you're worried about disassembling your card to repair, apply new thermal paste, thermal pads, etc..

ATIXIUM
    sucks to hear that but just manually add a fan somewhere next to your videocard to pull or push air and that should do the trick to cool it 

This works too if you don't mind the appearance and can't find a replacement fan, OR sounds like a great excuse to investigate hunting up a water block kit if you wanted to go that route.

Want an easy way to save up to 10% on your next EVGA purchase? Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the EVGA associate code Y8SZAS1DU12NL92 at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to say "Thank You!" for using it! 

When you register your products please use my Rewards Program Code: NHZXD6NWS9 when uploading your invoice.  Thank you!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile