EVGA

GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
Slugar
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2013/11/13 15:44:44 (permalink)
Ok i think i made a mistake, it seems the noise is coming from my PSU, sounds like arcing. Will update once i have replace my PSU.
post edited by Slugar - 2013/11/13 19:18:01
Slugar
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2013/11/16 00:26:24 (permalink)
Ok i changed the PSU.

I can hear a high pitch sound coming from the video card when i am playing BF4 and when every FPS go really high, like in the menu of wow.

I have been swapping my old 680 with the 780 to check for the noise and after much testing the evga 780 has a very high pitch noise. Its like a screeching sound. 
post edited by Slugar - 2013/11/16 00:29:00
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2013/11/16 00:35:11 (permalink)
Slugar
Ok i changed the PSU.

I can hear a high pitch sound coming from the video card when i am playing BF4 and when every FPS go really high, like in the menu of wow.

I have been swapping my old 680 with the 780 to check for the noise and after much testing the evga 780 has a very high pitch noise. Its like a screeching sound. 

That's noise coming from most likely the VRM section, inductor whine or squealing. It won't damage the GPU and it may or may not get quieter over time. If the noise is too annoying the only solution is to RMA the card. 

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Slugar
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2013/11/16 13:46:33 (permalink)
It is noticeable when gaming, I do have Vsync off, i will try it with Vsync on as i have read that vsync off can cause the problem.

I have to say it is quieter then the Gigabyte Winforce 680 when it comes to fan noise and temps so i will give that a last try before sending it back.
Snailswrath
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2013/11/21 04:11:37 (permalink)
Before thinking about using this bios, be sure that you've got the evga gtx 780 sc acx graphics card and i will not be held responsible for any misstakes made by you or anything else for that reason.

If you want to lower the fan speed from 39% to 29% i found an . It worked for me and the "humming" sound disappears at 29-35% fan speed.  this worked great for me and made my pc significantly quieter. 
You can use the fan control and oveclocking application  in combination with this bios as applications like Precision X and afterburner won't allow lower fan speeds...most likely :P

Remember to use something like to save the current to a ROM before updating if something were to happen and you've got to reinstall the nvidia drivers. The driver update is very fast and didn't give me any sign of "completion". Basically the first sign of a successful update was due to the lower fan speed option :)

*Edit
Appearently i can't either hyperlink or post URLs (some restrictions) huh. 
go to youtube and type this "EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked ACX BIOS Update" into the search box and you'll find the video by that name.

Google for "Downloading NVIDIA Inspector Download version 1.9.7.2" and you'll get to GURU website, DL link quite far down the page.

Google for GPU-Z and click the "techpowerup" link. guide yourself from there on to a download.

sorry for being unable to link directly :/

Good luck guys
post edited by Snailswrath - 2013/11/21 06:32:37
pake2
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2013/11/21 07:52:48 (permalink)
I recently did RMA my card and the replacement card (GTX 780 FTW w/ACX Cooler) does about the same resonance, although it is slightly (10%) quieter. This one responds to fan profiles more than the past card and quiets it down some. 

I would say that if you can't return your card, then your best shot is to RMA if the sound occurs. I am going to be stepping up to the 780ti with the reference cooler, so hopefully that would eliminate any resonance whatsoever.

BTW can any mod chime in to see if there is a BIOs flash for the GTX 780 FTW for the fan speeds to drop to 29%? I know there is one for the GTX 780 SC version... was wondering if the dual bios functionality of the FTW would work in this regard.
ttt3008
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2013/11/21 14:08:31 (permalink)
Just got my EVGA 780TI SC ACX in the mail a couple days ago. Similarly, I noticed the rattle in my fans as well. When my fans are in lower rpm or Idle they began to rattle. At first I thought about the item being defective. Then i figured it could be the Psu blowing air up causing one of the fans to be altered just enough to rattle.
It could be a defect, but it would be interesting to see this problem from someone with a down-firing psu that can also confirm the sound or maybe someone with a less traditional setup.

CPU: 4770k OC @ 4.4GHz W / CM Seidon 120XL  H20 (Push/Pull)
MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero Z87
RAM:  Crucial Ballistix Elite 1600 16GB OC @ 2000MHz
Video:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 TI SC /ACX Cooler
HDD: Samsung 840 SSD 512 GB / WD 1 TB HDD (storage/backup)
Power:  XFX PRO 850W
Case: CM Storm Enforcer - Gaming Mid Tower W/ CM MegaFlow 200mm Fan
NullException
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2013/11/21 14:14:03 (permalink)
ttt3008
Just got my EVGA 780TI SC ACX in the mail a couple days ago. Similarly, I noticed the rattle in my fans as well. When my fans are in lower rpm or Idle they began to rattle. At first I thought about the item being defective. Then i figured it could be the Psu blowing air up causing one of the fans to be altered just enough to rattle.
It could be a defect, but it would be interesting to see this problem from someone with a down-firing psu that can also confirm the sound or maybe someone with a less traditional setup.

You PSU exhausts air into the case?  They're supposed to take in case air and exhaust it out the back.

For me, the sound is definitely a resonance caused by the fast that there are two fans.  When it's resonating, if I stick my finger on the middle of one of the fans (the very middle, not the blades) and apply slight pressure to slow the fan down, then the sound stops, because the two fans are then at different speeds.  Doesn't matter which fan I do this to.

Case: Lian-Li PC-X1000
MB:  Asus Z87 Plus
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Classified
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB 1600Mhz, CAS 8
PSU: SeaSonic X-850
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
HDD: 2 Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB in RAID1, plus 1 WD Black 2TB
Sound Blaster Zx
ttt3008
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2013/11/21 14:23:53 (permalink)
I just noticed the noise fix thread in the main 700 series forum page that is dedicated to fixing the sound. You are probably right on the psu fan air flow because that makes good since. :)

post edited by ttt3008 - 2013/11/21 14:26:21

CPU: 4770k OC @ 4.4GHz W / CM Seidon 120XL  H20 (Push/Pull)
MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero Z87
RAM:  Crucial Ballistix Elite 1600 16GB OC @ 2000MHz
Video:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 TI SC /ACX Cooler
HDD: Samsung 840 SSD 512 GB / WD 1 TB HDD (storage/backup)
Power:  XFX PRO 850W
Case: CM Storm Enforcer - Gaming Mid Tower W/ CM MegaFlow 200mm Fan
mower1234
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2013/12/28 16:32:09 (permalink)
I too just got GTX 780 Classified. I get resonance vibration noise at 30-33% % fanspeed, well I can make it go away by setting it to 50%.... What should I do? RMA best option?
Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 181
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2013/12/30 02:27:13 (permalink)
mower1234
I too just got GTX 780 Classified. I get resonance vibration noise at 30-33% % fanspeed, well I can make it go away by setting it to 50%.... What should I do? RMA best option?

It´s up to you. It´s a good card otherwise( what is the ASIC number?)? Are you comfortable disassembling the card to fix it? If you are you can try my fix :
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2018526

if you do please let us know how it went!
TheOusS
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/02/28 11:15:45 (permalink)
I was having the same issue with my GTX 770 SC 02G-P4-2774-KR, I fixed it by figuring out at which fan speeds it occurred "for me it was 46%~48%" and proceeded by bypassing that range of fan speeds with the use of Precision Xs fan control graph, no more annoying resonance.
Luckily for me it happens at a very narrow range of low fan speeds which correspond to an idle state. If resonance occurs at a wider range of fan speeds when under heavy load like gaming this could become an issue where bypassing a certain range is not ideal.
Unknown-Two
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/02/28 19:16:58 (permalink)
Do what I did. Rip apart the ACX and install your own fans.

Decided to do this after I RMAed my ACX cooler 4 times, and every single one came back with exactly the same problem (horrible fan-whine when the fan ran below 40% speed).

Snagged a couple Arctic F9 fans, a small fan adapter to connect both to the PWM header on the card, and a handfull of zip-ties to lash it all together. Result:

Card is now totally silent and whine-free while idle (700 RPM), and is barely a whisper when under full load (1800 RPM). I ran Heaven Valley on loop for over an hour and the highest temp I saw was 72c (again, in almost total silence!!)

The EVGA fans that come with the cooler could maintain 72c as well, but that required MUCH higher RPM and a lot more noise... I guess upgrading from 15mm-thick to 25mm-thick fans makes a big difference with this heatsink.

I whipped up a short guide for doing this mod yourself. I was just going to post a link to my HardForum thread, but this forum keeps deleting the link... so here's a quote instead:
Supplies needed for this mod:
1. EVGA ACX cooler (GTX 780 / GTX Titan variant)
2. Two Arctic F9 PWM fans
3. One GELID 4-pin PWM adapter
4. Two small squares of 3M double-sided foam tape.
5. A pile of zip-ties
6. A pair of pliers and a small file
7. Small screwdriver set

I didn't take photos of the build process, but here's the gist of it:
1. Remove the ACX cooler from the graphics card
- Doing this requires removing 4 spring-loaded screws on the back of the card, around the GPU.

2. Remove the fan shroud from the ACX cooler
- You'll find two screws on the underside and one screw on either side of the shroud.

3. Remove the stock fans from the ACX cooler
- Three small screws on each one. You'll need to get a jewelers screwdriver between the blades

4. Place the new 92mm fans on the cooler
- One fan will need to have two small chunks taken out its frame to clear some small threaded post-holes on the cooler. I just used pliers to snap off the pieces.
- A metal tab (formerly used for cable management) needs to be bent vertical.
- Two squares of foam tape are needed to make the second fan mount level.

5. Wire up the fans
- These fans include PWM-sharing. Simply chain the connectors together and connect the terminator from one of the fans to the end of the chain.
- Use the adapter to connect the fans to the card's fan header. Speed control will work as per usual (though RPM readings will be incorrect at anything but 100% PWM)

6. Get creative with zip-ties
- You'll only be able to mount the fans corner-to-corner. It took a while to figure out the best and cleanest way to do this.
- Cable management can all be done on the motherboard-facing side of the cooler.
- Avoid having any cables come in direct contact with the heatsink fins. Melted cables are bad! This is possible (none of my wires touch).
- If you do find that you need to have wires in direct contact with the heatsink, make sure to wrap them in shrink tubing (the stock fans use this method).

7. Install and enjoy
- Remember to set a custom fan profile. Mine run at minimum speed until 55c, then immediately ramp to 100% speed.
- Temps should be ~29c idle, 72c load
- Noise levels should be reduced to almost nothing!

As an added bonus, this also gives you slightly more breathing room as far as power-target goes. The stock EVGA fans draw over 13 watts when running full-speed, while these Arctic F9's draw a total of 3.6 watts combined! This difference is actually noticeable, and could allow slightly better overclocks on an unmodified BIOS.

post edited by Unknown-Two - 2014/02/28 19:31:27
WillSK
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/03/02 07:55:43 (permalink)
I have just received a new 780 classified card. Love the performance... Don't love the sound coming from what i assume is a bad ACX cooler :(

just applied for an RMA

Noise i'm, experiencing. (search EVGA 780 Classified Fan noise on youtube) Similar to what you guys are getting??

dunno why it won't let me paste link on this thread

post edited by WillSK - 2014/03/02 09:29:23
olliiillo
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/03/28 07:06:55 (permalink)
I'm truly disappointed with EVGA.
This GTX780 SC ACX is the "top of the line" ?
I can't believe they are just ignoring the crowd that gives them money for the GPU's they make.
Not only did i NOT get my three free games but now i can't stand to play because of this
horrible(idiotic)fan noise.My cousin in law was trying to talk me into buying an ATi card.Next time I will.
I told many of friends and gamers that EVGA is the way to go in the past.Now I feel like an idiot when they say"wow man is that your fans on that evga card?"Cause it's so loud they can hear it in teamspeak.
Shame on you EVGA for not responding to this topic,people want answers.
You can't even make an update so we are "allowed" to turn the fans below 39%?
This product feels more like an apple product then"the way its meant to be played".
Now they turn overclocking into a temp target/power target?
Nice job taking the fun out of things.
I mean seriously,we can't set the fan to a slower speed? SERIOUSLY? This is what your bringing to the table for us?
I'm just going to have to slap on a couple new fans.Me and my buddy had to do the same thing with our gtx 470's.
This is just unacceptable and I won't do it again.
Last EVGA card.
I had 2 7900's
        2 8800gt's
        2 8800gtx's
        1 gtx 470
        1gtx 780
This company makes their famous"Step Up" program and rebates nearly impossible to achieve and Im sick of it.
And rjohnson you can keep your lame responses to yourself.
I have seen your posts over the years and if your not working for EVGA I would be surprised.
Your posts all sound like a stuck up evga technician,who is getting more angry as the last few years come and go for what used to be a reputable company.
I don't want evga to fix my card for me.I also have a post about this company on overclockers site where i show the real quality of their 780i motherboard.
ATi is way too cheap to sit here and waste another dollar on a card that isn't any better.

Edit: EVGA should also start using some better plastics cause the stuff they have been using is too fragile and has a tendency to crack and chip off around screw holes so be careful.
post edited by olliiillo - 2014/03/28 07:19:30
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/03/28 08:00:01 (permalink)

With all fairness to complaining customers, and there is many everywhere( with valid reasons), whether you buy acx cooler itself or card with that cooler, you shouldn't have to deal with that rattling and grinding noise,  yes EVGA its good at replacing /rectifying the issue(s),  but the whole ordeal of going thru the ongoing RMA's  it's just pain. Honestly, it sounds like there is minimum  to NON quality check prior to release and shipments of some of EVGA products
Leon Axel
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/04/01 06:57:58 (permalink)
I had the same issue with the 780 Classified.

The electrical tape method works 100%, I've just done it with mine!
The card itself in NOT faulty, all that is making the noise is some of the grills are weak/loose; and the air from the fans in making them vibrate causing that shimmering/rattle noise.   (Note: If its a coil wine issue this is not a fix for that)

Solution
*Deep breath* Take the card apart by unscrewing the four main screws (the ones with springs in them) and the screw in the corner next the the SLI port. Don't forget the unplug the small fan cable. Now on the fan segment run your finger up and down the grills and see which ones are loose/making a shimmering sound (there will probably be two, one on the bottom right and one on the top left, when you have the card's rear ports facing to your left). I only used THREE small bits of electrical tape overall; two on the top left near the rear ports and one in the bottom right.
After you've applied the electrical tape give the grills a wiggle and you shouldn't the sound anymore.
Reapply your trusty thermal paste as you normally would and put the card back together.

Sorry I couldn't post any pictures, but I didn't have a camera out at the time. Superbxxx was on the right track so if you need pictures look at his post as a reference (page 3).

Hopefully this helps guys, no need for RMA its a VERY easy fix took me 10 minutes at max.
Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/04/02 01:09:20 (permalink)
Leon Axel
I had the same issue with the 780 Classified.

The electrical tape method works 100%, I've just done it with mine!
The card itself in NOT faulty, all that is making the noise is some of the grills are weak/loose; and the air from the fans in making them vibrate causing that shimmering/rattle noise.   (Note: If its a coil wine issue this is not a fix for that)

Solution
*Deep breath* Take the card apart by unscrewing the four main screws (the ones with springs in them) and the screw in the corner next the the SLI port. Don't forget the unplug the small fan cable. Now on the fan segment run your finger up and down the grills and see which ones are loose/making a shimmering sound (there will probably be two, one on the bottom right and one on the top left, when you have the card's rear ports facing to your left). I only used THREE small bits of electrical tape overall; two on the top left near the rear ports and one in the bottom right.
After you've applied the electrical tape give the grills a wiggle and you shouldn't the sound anymore.
Reapply your trusty thermal paste as you normally would and put the card back together.

Sorry I couldn't post any pictures, but I didn't have a camera out at the time. Superbxxx was on the right track so if you need pictures look at his post as a reference (page 3).

Hopefully this helps guys, no need for RMA its a VERY easy fix took me 10 minutes at max.

I'm glad you results for you Leon Axel.

Thanks for the reference of my post. For all of you that have this problem check my fix here:

http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2018526
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/04/02 01:16:52 (permalink)
I think it's best solution what Superbxxx, I suppose if people no problems with fans, than only fins could vibrate and produce noise, you see on some models they are more complex than on other cards. I didn't had problem with two ACX to be honest, but I would rather fix 2-3 fins than pass throw RMA process because of that. Special if graphic card is 100% OK. Fan problem, rattling is something different but people didn't complain on that.
Are you enthusiast or not, don't behave as baby for simple thing... You not lose warranty if you remove cooler and fix.

post edited by Vlada011 - 2014/04/02 01:20:49

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

MSTRB
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/07/02 01:36:20 (permalink)
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I received my 780 Classified w/ ACX yesterday & I too have a noisy fan.

I will try the tape fix tonight & report back.
ilukeberry
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 256
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/07/02 02:26:38 (permalink)
I always prefer reference cooler. The main reason is.. it blows hot air out of your case.

Intel i9 13900KS | EVGA Z790 Classified | Corsair Vengeance 4x16GB 6600MHz | NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti FE | Corsair MP600 PRO 2TB PHANTEKS Glacier One 360 T30 Gen2 AIO | Seasonic PRIME TX-850 | PHANTEKS Enthoo Evolv X
Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/07/02 02:29:54 (permalink)
MSTRB
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I received my 780 Classified w/ ACX yesterday & I too have a noisy fan.

I will try the tape fix tonight & report back.

Tell us if it worked. Good luck.
MSTRB
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/07/02 04:26:01 (permalink)
ilukeberry
I always prefer reference cooler. The main reason is.. it blows hot air out of your case.

I prefer having a cooler GPU. Also my case airflow is more than adequate enough to get rid of any head that is dispersed from the card, into the case.

Not only that, but a good percentage of heat is exhausted through the rear of the card. Best of both worlds I guess.

Until you get noise 
ducknukem86
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/08/03 10:38:44 (permalink)
I recently bought a 780 ti with acx cooler and...it rattles, but it does so every now and then...

My 780 classified did the same thing...it's so annoying!
mgcarnevali
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/08/21 16:48:17 (permalink)
I have the exact same issue, please search my video on youtube as:

EVGA 780 Ti Superclocked fan noise uploaded by Maximiliano Carnevali.

I cannot post links because i dont have enough posts.

Thanks
post edited by mgcarnevali - 2014/08/21 16:50:37
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49170
  • Ribbons : 199
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/08/21 21:09:14 (permalink)
mgcarnevali
I have the exact same issue, please search my video on youtube as:

EVGA 780 Ti Superclocked fan noise uploaded by Maximiliano Carnevali.

I cannot post links because i dont have enough posts.

Thanks

At least yours doesn't sound like this
toptony
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/09/14 04:19:40 (permalink)
I have the same rattling noise problem and i found out that(atleast for me) it is coming from a a bit loose radiator fin at the end of the cooler. When I push the fin a bit the noise stops that's how i fixed the problem. And the noise starts around 40-45% speed.
post edited by toptony - 2014/09/14 04:22:11
Jeka2005
Re:GTX 780 SC ACX fan noises 2014/10/18 13:45:30 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
For those of you experiencing this and have part number: 03G-P4-2784-KR, please install the following update:

To install, extract and run update.exe

For those with part number 03G-P4-3788-KR, please switch to secondary BIOS.

Hi Jacob, 
pleas can you post here the NEW Bios for 03G-P4-3788-KR 
if it is newer than: 80.10.3A.00.81
Thank you
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile