EVGA

GTX 760 SC with ACX Cooling fan profile

Author
EXPERIMENTONGOD
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/01/10 12:14:17 (permalink)
I recently bought an EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX (02G-P4-2765-KR).

I was expecting a really quiet fan but... it's a mess. So I started tweaking the fan profile on EVGA Precision X. Here's what I've come up with:

I did some temperature tests with OC Scanner:

GTX 760 ACX (default fan profile)
Idle: 26ºC (43%)
Load: 71ºC (64%)

GTX 760 ACX (custom fan profile)
Idle: 25ºC (45%)
Load: 72ºC (62%)

Explanation:

1. <50ºC: At the lowest setting (default idle fan speed), which is 43%, the fan emits a noticeable humming. If you have quiet fans on your rig this is really going to destroy your acoustics (I have 3 Nooctuas, two running at ~1.000 rpm and one at ~500 rpm and also 2 Antecs that came with the case connected with a couple of 5V adapters at ~500rpm (they barely move any air but I leave them on because they're virtually silent at this voltage)). Suffice to say the loudest noise coming from my case is the case vibration from the HDD spinning at 7200rpm.

TL;DR minimum fan speed needs to be set at 45% at all times; you get way less noise (humming) and better temp (-1ºC).

2. From 50ºC to 65ºC: The default fan profile is a little too aggresive, the ACX coolers have pretty good thermal performance, with a lot of games we don't even reach 65ºC. I start to increase speed a little here to smooth things out, because with more intensive games we will get into the next stage (>65ºC). There's a jump from 50% to 55% fan speed at 55ºC because the humming is terrible at 51%-54%. From 55ºC to 65ºC we stick with 55% speed because we will spend a lot of time here while playing.

TL;DR we want the lowest noise possible and to avoid "noisy" fan speeds

3. From 65ºC to max temp: We will rarely reach this stage, but to optimize the temp/noise ratio we just make a linear curve here (65ºC - 100ºC -> 55%-90% (1ºC = 1%)).

Final TL;DR: The default fan profile is mediocre at best, we can make the fan a lot quieter without any noticeable impact in cooling performance by tweaking it with EVGA Precision X. Feel free to try mine and I hope you like it.
post edited by EXPERIMENTONGOD - 2014/01/11 14:06:37

Attached Image(s)

5 Replies Related Threads

ronaldlf7850
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: GTX 760 SC with ACX Cooling fan profile 2014/01/10 15:36:19 (permalink)
    If you have not done so, update your bios which sets the idle default fan speed to 31%. This is discussed in the thread at the top of this forum.
    That should help bring the fan noise down some, then start from there in creating a different fan profile.

ronaldlf7850
    Re: GTX 760 SC with ACX Cooling fan profile 2014/01/10 15:49:34 (permalink)
    I took another look at the new bios thread and your particular model is not listed. But I would check anyway, they may have released one for
    your model by now.

EXPERIMENTONGOD
    Re: GTX 760 SC with ACX Cooling fan profile 2014/01/11 03:56:26 (permalink)
    ronaldlf7850
    I took another look at the new bios thread and your particular model is not listed. But I would check anyway, they may have released one for
    your model by now.

Yes I was aware of the existence of a BIOS for 31% fan speed but so far it's only available for the Dual BIOS Model (02G-P4-3765-KR). I managed to get the update but you can't flash that BIOS on the 2765. A lot of customers have asked EVGA to release it for single BIOS models but there has been no update about this.

My main problem here is that the default minimum fan speed is 43% and I get a terrible humming/resonant sound at this speed so I have to set it at 45%. The secondary problem is that I'm idling at 23ºC so there is no need to have the fan set at 1320 RPM (45%) if it can go lower safely (barely affecting this temperature) as demonstrated by EVGA by releasing a BIOS for the Dual BIOS models.
    post edited by EXPERIMENTONGOD - 2014/01/11 05:40:41
    ronaldlf7850
    Re: GTX 760 SC with ACX Cooling fan profile 2014/01/11 08:11:53 (permalink)
    I think that they may have released the new bios for the dual models first just in case there was a problem with it. If there is a problem with the bios then
    you can change over to the other bios. Since EVGA recommends flashing the second bios and keeping the primary at the default state, if there is a problem
    then you can switch back to the primary bios. I think that if this new bios works with the dual models then they should release it soon for the single bios
    models.

EXPERIMENTONGOD
    Re: GTX 760 SC with ACX Cooling fan profile 2014/01/11 09:34:53 (permalink)
    ronaldlf7850
    I think that they may have released the new bios for the dual models first just in case there was a problem with it. If there is a problem with the bios then
    you can change over to the other bios. Since EVGA recommends flashing the second bios and keeping the primary at the default state, if there is a problem
    then you can switch back to the primary bios. I think that if this new bios works with the dual models then they should release it soon for the single bios
    models.

I agree, that must be EVGA's reasoning behind their decision.

But in 2010 they released a "Free Performance Boost" BIOS update for the GTX 460 http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=498804 (I have one of course) that unlocked the fan speed. I don't see the point of not releasing the BIOS with unlocked fan speed for the 760 this time around, it could be released with an "optional/at your own risk/beta" or whatever disclaimer, the risk of "frying" your card by overheating because of unlocking the fan speed is extremely low and it's the same if you have single or dual BIOS.

These BIOSes have been out for months and I haven't read any reports of Dual BIOS users having any problems with them.

My fan can already do 43%-100%, I just want to lower it when my card is happily idling at 23ºC, there's no need for 43% fan speed at all at this low temperatures (in fact, I would prefer 45%, which, as I said before, is quieter). The only reason I can think of for not letting us lower it is that if you set it manually to 43% and leave "auto" off, you may overheat the card, but that could also happen at any other "low" fan speed.

post edited by EXPERIMENTONGOD - 2014/01/11 09:43:47
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile