G3 white PSU cables

Author
jcbullen
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 142
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/14 05:12:37 (permalink)
I want to get some white PSU cables for my G3.  Are the EVGA ones going to be my best bet?  I've seen the cablemod ones too which look pretty good.  Does anybody have any opinions about one over the other?

Is $90 about the minimum I'm going to find a relatively full set of sleeved cables for?  I know the process is arduous, but it seems pricey !

10 Replies Related Threads

loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: G3 white PSU cables 2017/04/14 06:32:52 (permalink)
    That's about the price you are going to get for anything of any quality.
    I own both sets of cables.
    EVGA cables are sleeved in a stiff braided nylon, or that is what it feels like to me. Very smooth to the touch and despite being stiffer than cablemod it cooperates with how you want it to lay.
    The cablemod cables I have for my Seasonic, are sleeved in a 550 cord type fabric, more flexible, but depedning on how long the run is, may not cooperate very well staying bundled. Advise getting cable combs.

I like that I got four 8 Pin VGA cables from EVGA compared to CableMods three. So I had to go with two of the three 8/8 Pigtail versions which in my eyes is not as good looking.
    Off the top of my head when it comes to the VGA cables, EVGA gives you four 8 Pin VGA and two 8/6 Pin VGA cables. CableMod gives you three of each, which is dumb if you ask me. Why an odd number? Should be like EVGA's.
    So if I were you based on this, I know it mainly applies to those who SLI, I would go with EVGA cables. Otherwise, meh, they both look good, and do the job well.
    post edited by loveha - 2017/04/14 06:35:43

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    jcbullen
    Superclocked Member
    Re: G3 white PSU cables 2017/04/14 06:47:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply!  That's about all I need to hear.  As for the number of cables included, 3 does seem like a pretty weird number to include when you are likely going to need 1, 2 or 4.  I don't have short term plans for SLI because I keep swearing it off, but then I always inevitably do it once the price of the card I already have drops.  
    123Testing123
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re: G3 white PSU cables 2017/04/14 08:14:08 (permalink)
    Hey @loveha , that was an informative post!

loveha
    The cablemod cables I have for my Seasonic, are sleeved in a 550 cord type fabric, more flexible, but depedning on how long the run is, may not cooperate very well staying bundled. Advise getting cable combs.

Question:
    Is that the ModMesh. or the ModFlex cable material?

Comment:
    Cable combs make the cables more organized and uniform which makes them look much better (IMHO).

loveha
    I like that I got four 8 Pin VGA cables from EVGA compared to CableMods three.

I hear ya, but CableMod allows you to configure any number of custom cables.
    Were I was choosing CableMod, I think I'd go the custom route. I'd order one 24-pin, one 8-pin EPS, one 4-pin EPS and however many PCIe 6-pin or 8-pin cables I needed (depending on how many GPU's I would be running). This way, I could choose to go with full cables or just extensions (or a combination of the two), choose the exact length I wanted for each cable and even choose the color of each stand of each cable.
    I don't think I'd bother with the other PSU cables unless my case didn't have a PSU shroud.

MonkJayn
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 153
    Re: G3 white PSU cables 2017/04/18 00:53:58 (permalink)
    i have to say i feel i NEED to get coloured cables soon, its such a nice look, i just wish psu's could start coming with a choice of cable colour so you dont need to buy a second set, i mean come on evga, would it kill you to offer your psu's with a choice of cable colours at a discount over buying the psu and the cables separately ?
    jcbullen
    Superclocked Member
    Re: G3 white PSU cables 2017/04/18 08:53:52 (permalink)
    MonkJayn
    i have to say i feel i NEED to get coloured cables soon, its such a nice look, i just wish psu's could start coming with a choice of cable colour so you dont need to buy a second set, i mean come on evga, would it kill you to offer your psu's with a choice of cable colours at a discount over buying the psu and the cables separately ?

I know, right?  I'm going to have to spend almost as much on a set of cables as I did for the entire PSU/cables... it kind of sucks, but the white looks so good.  I'm kind of considering trying to sleeve my own cables.  I like that kind of monotonous zone out activity.
    MonkJayn
    Superclocked Member
    Re: G3 white PSU cables 2017/04/18 10:03:07 (permalink)
    You know,I've never actually looked into how much I'd save doing it myself, then again, it probably wouldn't turn out as clean and i can be very lazy lol
    jcbullen
    Superclocked Member
    Re: G3 white PSU cables 2017/04/18 18:33:58 (permalink)
    MonkJayn
    You know,I've never actually looked into how much I'd save doing it myself, then again, it probably wouldn't turn out as clean and i can be very lazy lol

It probably costs a little bit the first time you do it because you'd have to buy a few tools and such that you wouldn't need to buy again.  If you do it somewhat often, I imagine the cost is less than half that of buying them.  First time, I'm not so sure though.
    MonkJayn
    Superclocked Member
    Re: G3 white PSU cables 2017/04/18 19:00:00 (permalink)
    Hmm well i have the time maybe i should look in to trying to do it myself. Might even be fun...
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: G3 white PSU cables 2017/04/18 21:58:10 (permalink)
    The white set i purchased from evga for my 750W P2 power supply. the cable with 4 pin power connector on it was a bit short. If i was using a full tower case, i wouldn't of been able to use it to power my fan controller.

The PCI-E cables were extra long compared to the accessory 4-pin cable.

MonkJayn
    Superclocked Member
    Re: G3 white PSU cables 2017/04/19 00:38:56 (permalink)
    Hmm i never thought of that, anyone have a phantek enthoo primo case and know if there's any issues with cable lengths?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile