EVGA

My EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC keeps facing power and boosting issues.

Author
David112x
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/11/12 19:29:19 (permalink)
As the title says, my GTX 1660 SUPER keeps facing power issues as in going over the board's power limit and the board's power target, which is 125W, the card tends to boost in an aggressive way, attempting to maintain 1890MHz+ at all times when I'm playing games, causing the card to heat up to 70°C-73°C relatively quickly and then after a few minutes, the game I had open starts to either freeze or fully crashes.

I've attempted a list of things to see if I could get rid of this "aggressive boosting" behavior that the card has, such as using older Nvidia drivers, uninstalling EVGA Precision X1 and MSI Afterburner (I only have EVGA Precision X1 just in case and MSI Afterburner to apply my custom fan curve), using DDU to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and install the latest ones or older ones, etc.

Even after all of those attempts, I couldn't get rid of the aggressive boosting behavior that my GPU has, I even tried it in Linux and saw nearly the same boosting behavior though it was a little bit more tame, locking itself in 1845MHz at nearly all times, after seeing that none of the things I was trying weren't doing anything and the card kept boosting too aggressively and going over the power limit, I thought the issue could've been the vBIOS, but I wasn't quite ready to flash anything yet so I went through a lengthy process to use the GPU while passed to a Virtual Machine, this way I could load any vBIOS (that was obviously built for the card) without having to flash it directly, as it would be loaded into the GPU's ROM BAR and executed that way, or at least that's how it works for AMD GPUs, not Nvidia GPUs and I only realized this when I tested that, since it kept showing the same vBIOS version that the card came with, I gave up with that, which leads us to here, where I'm just posting about my problem in the forums to see if anyone has a possible solution aside from the ones I've already tried.

One thing I should mention too is that when I was looking for a vBIOS to test in the VM, I saw a newer version built exactly for my card, though the upload was unverified.
post edited by David112x - 2022/11/12 19:31:50

5 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: My EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC keeps facing power and boosting issues. 2022/11/13 05:12:57 (permalink)
    The card comes with a warranty. You can ask for a replacement.
    A different VBIOS is very unlikely to affect boosting to an appreciable degree.
    The card is designed to work properly with just itself and the driver with no software or fan control modification required. If it doesn't, ask for a warranty replacement. https://www.evga.com/support/evgarma1.asp
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2022/11/13 05:18:29

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

David112x
    Re: My EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC keeps facing power and boosting issues. 2022/11/13 12:52:10 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    The card comes with a warranty. You can ask for a replacement.
    A different VBIOS is very unlikely to affect boosting to an appreciable degree.
    The card is designed to work properly with just itself and the driver with no software or fan control modification required. If it doesn't, ask for a warranty replacement.

Would it be easy to get a replacement when I got this card shipped from Amazon US all the way to my country?
    If you don't know which country I'm from, well I'm from Colombia, I would have to send back the GPU all the way back to the US and try to get a replacement with it's warranty and I'm not even sure how long that would take.

(If you're going to ask what am I doing here, it's because I got the card off Amazon US and so I thought this was the best place to ask for help about the card and such)
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: My EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC keeps facing power and boosting issues. 2022/11/13 14:33:42 (permalink)
    You would have to ask EVGA.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

David112x
    Re: My EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC keeps facing power and boosting issues. 2022/11/15 08:35:31 (permalink)
    After a little bit of troubleshooting before going with the wild ride that sending this card back for RMA would be, I found out that it wasn't the card at all, nor was it any power issue or boosting issue, in fact it was just Windows all along, I checked the event viewer today to see what exactly crashed the game I was playing and it pointed to a crash that happened because of the system running out of virtual memory, so I went overboard and decided to allocate 40GB total in each of my drives for Windows to use as the pagefile, basically Windows virtual memory, I had only 8GB allocated in my main SSD and apparently that wasn't enough, I'll post my results after gaming for a while with this configuration just to be sure. 
    David112x
    Re: My EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC keeps facing power and boosting issues. 2022/11/16 15:20:19 (permalink)
    The issue is fixed now, that's basically it.

For those who are wondering how I fixed it, well I first fixed the previous issue and then dealt with the aggressive boosting behavior by flashing a newer BIOS to the GPU, a few weeks ago I found a BIOS that was compiled this year for the EVGA GTX 1660 Super SC (TU116 REV A1), I wasn't sure about flashing the BIOS on the GPU as it was unverified and there was no sign of it or even a mention of it in the forums or EVGA's sites, until I decided I would do it today, I did and the card is more stable now and doesn't have the aggressive boosting behavior anymore, if anything, the card is more efficient now, the version of the BIOS that this card came with was "90.16.5A.00.5D" and the one I flashed was "90.16.5A.00.78", the BIOS that the card came with was compiled in 2021-12-05 while the newer one was compiled in 2022-02-07.

Thank you everyone for your help.
    post edited by David112x - 2022/11/16 15:26:38
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile