EVGA

M.2 Offset screws 690 Classified

Author
Montana_BIFF
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/09/10 10:47:07 (permalink)
Hello, can some one please confirm that the 3 very tiny silver colored screws that come in the accessories box are actually the correct screws to use for the M.2 drives to be installed? 

I have built many systems but it's been a while and my experience installing M.2 drives is limited. Only others I have seen made much more sense and been very straightforward. They had a base with a separate top screw to secure the drive itself. 

These 3 small little silver screws fit the offset hole and seem to give the correct clearance under the heat sink...but the way they fit and interact with the M.2 drive itself seems worrisome. There is a tiny lock washer and a serrated washer on top of it and then the screw head. And the only way feasible to get it to seat correctly is with the very top of the screw head holding down the M.2 with the serrated washer underneath. IS THIS CORRECT? 

It's a VERY tight fit and almost seems to be putting un necessary strain on the M.2.

I've thought about trying to use other screws to do the install but these tiny little silver screws seem to be proprietary and others don't fit under the heat sink.

Thanks.

2 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: M.2 Offset screws 690 Classified 2022/09/10 11:50:23 (permalink)
    Montana_BIFF
    Hello, can some one please confirm that the 3 very tiny silver colored screws that come in the accessories box are actually the correct screws to use for the M.2 drives to be installed? 

I have built many systems but it's been a while and my experience installing M.2 drives is limited. Only others I have seen made much more sense and been very straightforward. They had a base with a separate top screw to secure the drive itself. 

These 3 small little silver screws fit the offset hole and seem to give the correct clearance under the heat sink...but the way they fit and interact with the M.2 drive itself seems worrisome. There is a tiny lock washer and a serrated washer on top of it and then the screw head. And the only way feasible to get it to seat correctly is with the very top of the screw head holding down the M.2 with the serrated washer underneath. IS THIS CORRECT? 

It's a VERY tight fit and almost seems to be putting un necessary strain on the M.2.

I've thought about trying to use other screws to do the install but these tiny little silver screws seem to be proprietary and others don't fit under the heat sink.

Thanks.

Welcome to the EVGA Forums

M.2 "capture device" is Two separate pieces, that were shipped assembled (usually)

warning: Always unplug all scores of AC power & let the PC discharge capacitors First ( after unplugging, hold start button 20 seconds works)
    - Remove M.2 cover

1) The Standoff mounts to the MB
    2) Remove the screw ... usually it has a wider head / "built-in washer design"

3) Mount the M.2 drive into the M.2 socket ... see manual for which one you should use - (PCIe lanes from CPU)
         ---> thermal pad - should go under the M.2 drive ... only needs to touch the RAM of the M.2
         ---> Pay attention to correctly/ fully install M.2 drive at angle as shown in MB manual
         ---> Hold M.2 down & lightly tighten screw back into the standoff

4) reinstall M.2 cover

Support Manual for EVGA Z690 CLASSIFIED (121-AL-E698)

p30-33      Installing M.2 Key-M Socket 3 Devices

page 30 (excerpt)

If you plan to install a 110mm M.2 device, then you will use the pre-attached screw to secure your M.2 Device. Skip ahead to the
    next step to proceed with removing the screw and installing the M.2 device. If you remove any of the screws placed at the 110mm interval, you must replace them prior to replacing the M.2 heatsink.

If you plan to install an 80mm, 60mm, and/or 42mm M.2 device, you will need to install one of the M.2 screw/standoffs included with the
    Z690 CLASSIFIED accessories for each device. Each set comes with one standoff, which must be installed at the interval for your device, and the screw, which will be used to secure the M.2 device to the standoff

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

harleyroadking
    • Total Posts : 59
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: M.2 Offset screws 690 Classified 2022/09/10 14:36:34 (permalink)
    Yes there is a small bag that has the 3 silver screws in it and they are for the M2. The screws are actually 2 pieces you have to take my part before installing them into the board. Once you take them apart put the bottom part into the motherboard with a screwdriver and use the top part of the screw to mount the M2 to the bottom part of the screw that's already in the motherboard. As described above. Make sure you install the thermal pads on the MB. I just installed mine on my 690 classified yesterday
    post edited by harleyroadking - 2022/09/10 14:48:31

CASE: Corsair 7000D
    MB: EVGA Z690 CLASSIFIED
    CPU: I9 12900KS
    RAM: 16 Gb ram GSkill Trident DDR5 6000 Mhz
    SSD NVMe: Samsung Gen 4 NVMe 500 Gb, NVMe 2 tb
    GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 TI
    PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 1600W P+
    MOUSE: EVGA X20
    KEYBOARD: EVGA Z20

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile