EVGA

Where can I find VBIOS update notes

Author
DemonWRX
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/08/03 19:40:12 (permalink)
Generally I am one of those "apply all security updates, but non security, if it ain't broke don't fix it" types.

Over the years, several times I have run into issues with updating drivers when I was not seeing any issue only to find the new driver caused issues, forcing the more difficult task of rolling back to an older driver. So now my normal path is to apply all security related updates as soon as they are available, and anything that is trivial or optional, I may or may not skip depending on how much time I may have to troubleshoot if something goes awry. I will read over the release notes before updating any driver or firmware to see if I really need it.

Recently I did a CPU upgrade, and while checking to make sure Resizable Bar was enabled under the new config I saw that the VBIOS has an update available. However, I can not find anywhere that has release notes on the VBIOS versions. Is there a place to look this up? 

In case it matters.... specific card:

3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra (12G-P5-3967-KR) which was flashed to the 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid (12G-P5-3968-KR) VBIOS late last year when I was able to get the (then back-ordered) hybrid AIO cooler.

2 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Where can I find VBIOS update notes 2022/08/03 19:46:04 (permalink)
    There are no vbios update notes. Usually a vbios update is issued to accommodate component changes on newer revisions of the card. If your card is working fine don't update.
    DemonWRX
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Where can I find VBIOS update notes 2022/08/03 20:07:14 (permalink)
    "
    Sajin
    If your card is working fine don't update.

Yeah, that is my normal modus operandi. I thought I remembered hearing how VBIOS updates were used to fix a few issues with 30 series cards around launch, so I was curious what specifically changed in the last 12 or so months that prompted the new VBIOS.

The industry in general needs to work on being more transparent with what specifically each driver and (V)BIOS version update is for. Some companies are fantastic, others very cryptic or completely silent.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile