Half-Life: Alyx sequel unlikely as Valve moves on from VR to Steam Deck

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/11/29 05:07:33 (permalink)
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/half-life-alyx-sequel-unlikely-as-valve-moves-on-from-vr-to-steam-deck/

According to Tyler McVicker, while Half-Life: Alyx has a big team, most of those people have now shifted to working on the Steam Deck. There is apparently a very small team working on a new Half-Life VR game, but lack of interest and a lengthy prototype stage means this will likely be cancelled.

With the majority of Valve developers now working on the Steam Deck, the main game focus has become Project Citadel, a game that has been appearing in Valve leaks for years. This game is said to be an RTS and FPS hybrid game and VR elements have been removed to turn this into the flagship game for the Steam Deck, much like Half-Life: Alyx was the flagship game for the Valve Index headset. Interest in VR at Valve may well pick up again in the future, as currently, there is a team working on a standalone, wireless VR headset. Until that hardware is ready though, it sounds like the majority of Valve developers will be working on other, non-VR projects.

I understand this. Valve probably believes more money will come from the Steam Deck gaming. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

5 Replies Related Threads

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Half-Life: Alyx sequel unlikely as Valve moves on from VR to Steam Deck 2021/11/29 05:21:22 (permalink)
    Even tho half life is desired by millions of fans, they don't do it.

Not sure I understand this.....but they're going to do what they're going to do.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Half-Life: Alyx sequel unlikely as Valve moves on from VR to Steam Deck 2021/11/29 07:56:16 (permalink)
    I also don't understand this because they really pushed the envelope with Half-Life Alyx which feels miles ahead of any other VR game. With Valve making so much with the Steam Store it's not like they couldn't fund both. I think the biggest problem for them though is the headset they released was expensive and a lot of Half-Life Alyx players decided to go with a cheaper Quest 2. I do however think that as development of VR games improves it will become more common for games like Half-Life Alyx and Valve really needs to be ready for that. Them making a wireless headset gives me hope for the future since in reality I don't really see people using a Steam Deck anywhere but home mostly and at that point wireless VR seems better in a lot of ways since probably everyone who buys a Steam Deck will also have a PC in the house with a much better screen and playing experience then the hand held.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

yaggaz
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1509
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Half-Life: Alyx sequel unlikely as Valve moves on from VR to Steam Deck 2021/12/04 21:00:08 (permalink)
    transdogmifier

Not sure I understand this.....but they're going to do what they're going to do.

Right? But they'll make a VR version which is desired by... thousands of fans?

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Half-Life: Alyx sequel unlikely as Valve moves on from VR to Steam Deck 2021/12/05 02:52:23 (permalink)
    yaggaz
    transdogmifier

Right? But they'll make a VR version which is desired by... thousands of fans?

It was a big reason I decided to try out VR and really Half Life Alyx and Star Wars Squadrons have shown me that done right VR can really enhance a game in a nice way. The black friday sale though of getting $50 Amazon credit on a Quest 2 also really helped. I don't think I would have jumped on to a $500 headset but $250 (after the credit) seemed like a good deal.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2021/12/05 02:54:41

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: Half-Life: Alyx sequel unlikely as Valve moves on from VR to Steam Deck 2021/12/05 10:04:35 (permalink)
    I can't say I'm surprised. Valve literally makes no sense in what they do. They never give their fans what they want no matter how well something sells or performs. They abandoned Half-Life 2's story from the "Episodes" on a cliffhanger of all things and cancelled Episode 3 to finish the story.......That was in 2007 or nearly 15 years ago. Then they release Half-Life Alyx and revisit that same damn cliffhanger ending but from a altered reality perspective.....and then cancel the whole project again.

Maybe in 2036 we'll get an ending to this story..........

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile